Chapter 33
149 8 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They reached the next ruins site. It was only a week away from the stop. They were getting closer to Oldforge, and there was far more foot traffic.

As they walked the path to the ruins, Anna noticed a dozen men hanging from trees. They looked and smelled like they had been there for a week, maybe two.

“They are dressed like those cultists,” Anna said.

“You’re right. They are. It’s a good place for them, but I wonder who put them there?” Voekeer asked.

It didn’t take long to find out. Once they reached the ruins, they found it swarming with soldiers.

“Halt. What business do you have here?” a solider asked.

“We have a contract from the crown to explore the ruins in the frontier,” Voekeer said.

“Come with me. I’ll take you to the captain,” the solider said, leading them to the command tent.

They entered the tent, and Voekeer showed the captain the party’s contract.

“I was told to expect you. That was months ago. What kept you?” the captain asked.

“We got caught in the blizzard and had to take shelter in a nearby cave. Quite a few things happened while we were down there. I have a report if you would like to read it,” Voekeer said.

“I’ll take a look,” the captain said. Voekeer handed him a copy he had made for just such an occasion.

“You mentioned that you were expecting us,” Voekeer said.

“Yes, the knight-commander used a sending to inform Oldforge of the events at the crossroads, and he told the guild of your discoveries at the other ruins site. The duke deployed troops to secure them,” the captain said.

The man searched through some paperwork on his desk, pulling a letter from a pile and handing it to Voekeer. “Here you are. Your contract is finished, and you are to report back. This letter is from the guild master. I’m not sure of the contents, but you are to read it as soon as you can,” the captain said. He then waved them out.

They camped with the soldiers that night.

“So, it seems that the guild is interested in you two and wants us to return with haste. The duke accepted the reports we gave to the knight-commander, and the contract is finished, so we are done then,” Voekeer said. He had nodded at Anna and Elaine.

“That’s it?” Anna asked.

“Yes, we finished the contract, and we will get paid when we get to the guild hall. That’s what being an adventurer is all about,” Voekeer said.

“How much were you getting paid anyway?” Anna asked.

“A quarter round,” Voekeer replied.

“Is that a lot for a contract?” Anna asked.

“Yes, it's quite good. The business with lord Ender and the duke was out of the ordinary. Most adventurers don’t earn that much in fifty years,” Voekeer said.

“The lad is speaking the truth. I made more this year than in the last thirty,” Thokri said.

“So, we were lucky?” Anna asked.

“Aye, not that we didn’t have to work for it,” Thokri replied.

“That’s the truth,” Elaine said.

“How long will it take to get back?” Barika asked.

Voekeer looked at the map again. “A week, maybe a week and a half,” Voekeer replied.

They slept for the night and left early the next morning, wanting to get back to Oldforge as quickly as possible.

A week passed on the road. The snow had melted. The weather had warmed.

“We should be back by tomorrow,” Voekeer said.

“After we check in with the guild hall, what’s everyone’s plan?” Lyreen asked.

“I’ll head to the temple. I need to report in,” Barika said.

“Need to let the clan know about the caves. We will have to get an expedition together,” Thokri said.

“I’m going to enroll at the royal academy. I’d like to finish my degree,” Elaine said.

“We are going to visit my village, then head to his,” Lyreen said.

“That wise lad?” Thokri asked.

“With the duke’s commendation and the amount of money I’ve made in the last year, not even my father would question my vocation,” Voekeer said.

“I hope it works out for you,” Barika replied.

Anna heard someone crying and trotted over to see. There was a pole with several cages hanging from it. Two of them had stinking corpses in them, but one of them held a skinny crying man. He looked familiar.

“Soulstram?” Anna asked. The man looked up.

“You, you’re that barmaid from Fishport,” Soulstram said.

Anna snapped the lock and pulled the man out. He was naked and filthy. The others had caught up.

“Who is this?” Elaine asked.

“Soulstram,” Anna replied.

“Ah, the one you told us about when we met at the inn?” Lyreen asked.

“Yes, this is the man, though I’m surprised he’s still alive after trying to charm two women in one town,” Anna replied.

“Wait. I never did. I mean, I did, but I was just trying to get you to tell me where the innkeeper kept his valuables,” Soulstram said.

“So, you just wanted to steal from us? Then what about the seamstress? Those women aren’t known for having a lot of coin,” Anna asked.

“I, uh, needed some new clothes,” Soulstram replied with a studder.

“How noble of you,” Elaine said.

“How did you end up in the cage?” Anna asked.

“I tried to rob a carriage. It turned out to be a noble and not a merchant. He stuck me in there along with my companions,” Soulstram said, pointing at the corpses.

“How did you manage to survive? Are half elves tougher than humans and elves?” Anna asked.

“I’m not a half elf,” he replied.

“Looks like a forest elf. I’m surprised to see one this far from the great forest,” Voekeer said.

Anna looked at him again. He seemed smaller than before. She felt bad for the man.

“He did show me magic first, even if he was trying to steal,” Anna thought. She handed him her blanket. She didn’t need it. He put it over his shoulders. She tossed him a silver coin.

“Get out of my sight. That’s for the charm spell. It was pretty,” Anna said and pointed her thumb back the way they came.

“Uh, umm, alright,” he said and started to run. After he made it some distance, they started back on the route.

“What did you do that for?” Lyreen asked.

“The charm spell was pretty to look at, and I had fun dancing. It was worth a sliver,” Anna said.

“The lad will be back in a cage in a week,” Thokri said.

“I gave him another chance. He’s free now, and it’s up to him to choose what to do with it,” Anna replied.

Thokri patted her shoulder. “Aye, that you did,” Thokri said.

They arrived at the city the next morning.

“I was born around this time last year,” Anna said as they walked to the gate.

“It’s your birthday?” Lyreen asked.

“I think so,” Anna said.

“Well, I’m going to buy you a cupcake,” Lyreen said.

Anna hugged her. “That sounds great,” Anna replied.    

 

11