Ch 4, wasn’t I supposed to go to the town?
497 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
A new chapter is out. The truth is, I have written it before going to sleep yesterday but it turned out to be very dry. I felt like it was a waste to rewrite it, so I revitalised the parts I could

“Ralph, am I going towards a village or a town?”

“It’s a town. Also, villages don’t exist in this world”

“They don’t? Well, it does make sense I guess. Who needs a village when you have magic to grow crops”

Besides, the taxes would be handled much easier when you have your designated spots for growing products. Plus, you don’t need to protect the villages from bandits and monsters and the population will be that much easier to control when not only do you hold the military power, but the food supplies as well…

The only downside is that the nobles would have too much authority in their hands and every town or city would be able to act as a state of their own, reducing the authority of the central governmental body significantly and halting the economical, cultural and technological development.

Well, I don’t particularly care about how humans do things here. But the lack of villages will bring me a big problem of its own, won’t it?

“Will they let me in when I’m like this?”

I was transmigrated here in a full sports outfit and also given a comfortable coat. By now the entire outfit is full of dirt, sweat and tears and I look like a very bizarre hobo.

Not only that, I also got no money.

Well, even if I did, I’d just get robbed probably. I am level zero after all.

But the biggest problem is,

“Especially after they see that title”

True Demon Ancestor's Messenger (Mythological)

The individual has been spawned in this Realm with the help of an Eternal Demonic entity.

I don’t expect this world to be developed that well from the cultural viewpoint.

At worst, they might just burn me on a stake believing me to be the Devil’s spawn.

“Don’t worry. Just let them know of your affinities and they will welcome you as warmly as they would welcome their mother. As for your title, hmm, it won’t be looked down on much. This world’s pantheon, well, the one the mortals are aware of, at least, houses several demonic entities too. It has to do with the power that faith provides. So, demons aren’t necessarily viewed in a negative light. Though the church really hates them, so avoid the church”

I guess I won’t be burned on a stake now. I’ll be used as a soldier instead. Do I really need to go to the town?

“Maybe I should stay here and get stronger bit by bit instead of being used as a weapon. Sigh”

“What’s so bad about being used? You’ll get education on fighting and magic, money and a lot of resources. They will try to build favorable connections with you and instill the sense of loyalty in you, not make you hate their guts”

“But they’ll be wary of me, try to control my growth, make sure I would never have enough power to escape their control. There’re many dangers with the choice of going there now. At the very least, I should get strong enough to survive here and then think about what to do from there. Maybe sneak in there somehow and forge my identity or something along those lines. Do they have an Adventurer’s Guild or something of the sort there? I mean if there is I could…”

“Yes, it’s a large international organization. It’s pretty much the same as in those novels you have read. Hunt monsters- bring in the loot – raise your rank (from E to A, as well as the special rank) while the Guild will take care of the legal side of things as well as the selling of the loot. You also get the rights to travel the borders, though all of your records will become public knowledge accessible through their information network. If you won’t have a record in Guild network, the guards won’t let you in”

So that’s a no-go. Well, what can I do?

I know that what Ralph is suggesting is the more logical route I could take. I know that what I am suggesting is not pragmatic and it will likely be dangerous too. But I believe that since I have a new chance in this world, since I have so many favorable conditions with my cheats and all, I should live freely. I want to see this new world, explore and adventure.

Though it’s a bit embarrassing to voice it to Ralph. Besides, even I know how childish this is. I’ve been having such a hard time surviving and yet, here I am, not doing the rational thing to do. Still, I want to give it a shot. I will yield if it’s too hard but I will try to explore my possibilities a little.

“If you wish, do as you will. Follow my directions, I’ll show you the closest dungeon in this territory. It’s undiscovered and the difficulty isn’t very high. Though as you are now, you will just die, so train yourself enough before going in”

As if reading my mind, Ralph readily gave the okay. Maybe he did. Maybe this whole time, I’ve been dancing to his tune right on the palm of his hand. Whatever, I prefer being manipulated by a literal demon that can travel dimensions than a random noble. Call it a twisted sense of pride or whatever is left of my poor old dignity.

“What’s a dungeon?”

“You’ve never read about them back on Earth?”

“I mean I have. In the fictions I’ve read they were places where you fought monsters, searched for treasures and explored things”

“Yes, that’s what dungeons here are”

I’m sure there’s some reason for their existence, but remembering the last time I asked Ralph about regeneration with mana, I don’t want to go through another lecture.

I might have nothing to entertain myself with, yet I have already fallen into a kind of rhythm and breaking it will make my road than much harder.

The dungeon didn’t seem that impressive. At least judging by its entrance: just a stone circular well that went deep down. It was overgrown with moss and the rough large stone bricks it was made out of looked… vintage, let’s put it this way. There was a wooden ladder inside which, surprisingly, looked quite reliable. Whether it was its special property or maybe my eyesight wasn’t good enough, but I couldn’t see the bottom.

I was concerned with the issue of lighting but Ralph said it had the minimum level of illumination inside, so that was also a resolved problem.

That problem taken care of, I began searching for a fitting dwelling for myself.

The best that I was able to find for my circumstances was a small stone cave. It wasn’t deep but it would protect me from the wind and the rain, though the dense trees have already been taking care of that problem somewhat.

Also, it wasn’t that far from a stream of water, so it was a good thing too.

The food… Well, I will have to feast on the mushrooms and nuts for now. I have seen a lot of potential game, but as I am now I have neither the skill nor the ability to hunt, process or cook the animals yet.

I got Ralph to teach me how to increase the MP consumption to prevent muscle deterioration, which tripled the consumption of my MP and stamina.

He has already taught me the basics of mana perception, so the rest is up to me.

Breath in, breath out.

Perceive the movement and changes in my magical pathways.

Breath in, breath out.

Guide the magical power through the first internal vortex.

Breath in, breath out.

Expand your consciousness, merge your mind with the world.

Breath in, breath out…

Since when has the story become an eastern fantasy? It’s been two weeks since I have begun my magic training.

I haven’t gained the magic perception skill yet, but I feel like I’m on to something. The following skills I have acquired are fueling my expectations too

Self-Regeneration (uncommon, lvl 1)

Internal Mana Manipulation (uncommon, lvl 1)

Lesser Mana Regeneration (uncommon, lvl 1)

Lesser Stamina Regeneration (common, lvl 1)

The three uncommon skills are pretty good. They aren’t anything amazing and the only reason for their grade is because one needs huge amounts of mana to unlock them. Huge on the wide scale of course. Most people won’t have more than 150 MP usually, which unfortunately hinders their growth, so most people won’t grow beyond level 20 unless they put insane amounts of effort or get really lucky.

The only common skill, though, is the most amazing in my opinion. It gives just a boost to my stamina but it really helps.

But obviously, my trusty Mental Fortitude is the strongest.

Try living on just mushrooms in a cave for two weeks acting like a Chinese protagonist from a cultivation novel without going crazy from boredom, fatigue and stress without it and you’ll probably end up with mental issues.

Me, on the other hand? I’m very energetic (no, I’m not), very positive (by no means am I) and I still look forward to the next day (The night, when I sleep, is the time I wait for).

My progress is considered pretty good, judging by what Ralph said. By no means is it incredible, but it’s fine.

I’m not looking for fast progress, I firmly believe that everything and anything great starts from a good foundation. That’s why I’m so outraged at our school educational system, especially the way they handle Mathematics…

Those damn people in the government, what are they even thinking, do they even think, is such an action even within their skillset…

And that’s why we end up with tonnes upon tonnes of incompetent morons who can’t even think logically…

The Earth is honestly going to Hell. I’m telling ya, it’s a good thing Ralph bailed me…

No, and those idiots…

Ahem. Well, that was a bit unsightly. It seems that even my skill has its limits. What a shame…

Now, as you can see, I’m pretty exhausted. Well, I still believe that the road I’m taking is the right one.

I have managed to hunt three rabbits and, following Ralph’s instructions, I have managed to successfully skin and cook them.

Ralph is like G***le, only G***le doesn’t answer your questions selectively, leads you to challenges intentionally and probably doesn’t laugh at your misery behind your back.

Well, G***le can’t transport you across dimensions or revive souls or grant incredible powers, so it’s Ralph’s win in the end.

Anyway, the rabbits. How was the cooking, you ask? It was horrible I answer. The taste was disgusting. But I leveled up. I’m level 1 now. I got a stat point and raised my Endurance which affected my stamina regeneration, stamina and general defenses.

The change is minuscule but it’s a change in a positive direction nonetheless.

HP: 11/11

MP: 153/251

ST: 24/24

Other than that, I have seen a pack of wolves from afar. It’s a good thing I haven’t encountered them yet as I have no means to fend them off and can only flee.

Well, back to training again.

The past week has been very stressful. It was much colder than usual and the monotone diet has been getting on my nerves. I can still take it but as I’ve said, even my Mental Fortitude is not omnipotent.

I’ve made no progress so far, which is fine.

The bad thing is, I feel I’m getting weaker.

Ralph said that I should head to the town. I might be not in my sound consciousness but I still choose to persist.

I’ll try to hunt a rabbit or a deer if I’m lucky. Maybe a change to the diet will help me a bit.

I stand up from my morning session and head to the entrance of the cave. The world shakes a bit. Or is it my vision. Well, I’m fine (No, I’m not and I know it. Well, we all lie to ourselves)

I feel I got a bit shorter. And by a bit, I mean that I can see the floor of the cave right under my eyes.

Strange.

Very, very strange.

What a strange word it is, strange.

But it has a good feel to it, strange.

S-T-R-A-N-G-E

It’s STRong but within my RANGE of strength.

Sssssss-Tttttttt-Rrrrrrrr

Hm…. When you say “Rrrrrrr” it sounds like a roar.

Do animals feel the world is strange? I do, so they must too…

Rrrrrr…

I think I heard a sigh. Was it Ralph?

Green eyes. Pretty. Like mother’s. She would look at my face when I was sick.

I smell food. It smells good. I’m a poet.

Food-Good.

Good-Food.

Good Food.

Two simple words, yet the appeal in them is so strong.

Good food. I want.

***

“Martina, how is he?”

“He seems stable now, Old Man. Why do you even care? We have stayed here for three days already”

“Why wouldn’t I care? I’m old, he’s talented. You won’t understand the desire of a dying man to leave something good behind. Not until you are in my shoes, which I hope won’t be soon”

“Talented? He’s level 1! 1! At his age!”

“Huhu, there’re many bizarre things in this world”

“Whatever”

14