Ch. 49 – A little bit of backstory
2.6k 11 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood there frozen, not knowing what to think about this whole ordeal. Did I just find out that the guy who was stalking me in the dungeon and helping me occasionally was a mortal enemy of the whole world? Just what did he do to deserve this title?

What woke me up from shock, was Felicia appearing out of thin air. She just randomly teleported into the cave, and then landed on her butt. She was confused, but after looking around she saw me and quickly jumped my way.

I had no idea she was that strong, not until she tackled me onto the ground with her approach. That’s not that easy to make spider lose its balance since they usually have eight legs, but she just casually did so, just by jumping on me.

I guess she was worried, I had no idea how did she appear in this cave, but if I had to guess, the caped guy probably brought her over.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Prediction lvl. 9] ]

See, even the system thinks so. Now for the important part, since the dragon really knew the caped guy, I simply had to ask who he was. I mean I will be stuck with him stalking me for some time, at least until I conquer this dungeon. I have no proof that he will leave me after this, but I couldn’t really do anything about him watching me.

[“What did he do?”]

The dragon sighed at my words, then proceeded to curl himself on the floor while still facing me. Come to think of this, I still didn’t collect myself after being tackled, so I quickly turned myself from lying on my back to face him too.

[“Listen, you might not believe in this story, and the only person that could say it actually happened would be your mother, since nobody else remembers it. First you have to know that this world is very young, and yet it faced destruction multiple times. The largest one so far happened five thousand years ago, and ended up in death of our creator.

The white goddess of creation, the one who made this world. Since she created your mother, she would be effectively your grandmother, but going by that logic, I would be your uncle, and so would be the gods, so you’re free to interpret it in whatever way you want.

She died while protecting this world from the devil who was brought here by that traitor. He swore to help her maintain this world, and yet he was the one who helped to nearly destroy it. She trusted him, we all did, and yet when she was fighting, and in the end sacrificed herself to seal the devil, he wasn’t here.

Now nobody remembers about her, and if I had to guess, that’s because with her dying breath she casted memory alteration spell on everyone including the gods making them forget her. I’m not sure why it didn’t affect me, but your mother who inherited one of the bigger parts of her power was practically immune to it.

That’s why she continues to protect this forest, which is the source of all life on this planet. The first one created by the goddess. And that’s why I’m here in this dungeon, which is the core of the forest and shields the primal inhabitants of this world.”]

My jaw started gaping in about the middle of his monologue. This was some major world history, and going by his words, I was only the third one to get to know this. Well, Felicia would be the fourth one… maybe not. When I looked at her, she was casually sleeping again.

This seriously was a big bomb to drop on me. If everything he said was true, my mother was at least five thousand years old, and related to gods and dragons, yup definitely believable. But why did everything sound so familiar? Didn’t I see this before?

The things I saw while I was evolving, didn’t they match the description of events he gave me? But why would I see something that happened thousands years ago? Did the caped guy show me them? But for what reason? Ahh, can’t I just finish this dungeon without any flag of something greater going on?

I don’t care about this creation goddess, even if she was my grandmother, I don’t care about the betrayal that nearly destroyed this world, I don’t care about being related to gods and ancient dragon, I just want to get stronger, to protect myself and my girl.

[“And that stone you wanted to give me most likely belonged to the goddess you were talking about?”]

[“Precisely, I don’t know what it is, but it gives off a strong aura similar to her power, and for some reason it seems to resonate with you. I was able to feel this connection ever since you entered the floor. If you’re the daughter of the queen, then that’s probably the reason.”]

So he came after me, because this stone told him about my arrival on the floor. Nice to know.

[“Also, I’m not sure if that’s true, but wouldn’t your little friend happen to be a druid? I can’t tell for sure since I lack the appraising ability, but her aura is very similar to the one a druid would give off.”]

[“No, she doesn’t have a title like that. Hmm, wait a minute… She has recently acquired a skill called bond which should be exclusive to druids and thanks to it I managed to evolve into my current form, so I think it is safe to say she actually is one.”]

I remembered the skill I saw on her earlier. It sure was a bit overpowered if just thanks to it I got another evolution path. I didn’t think much about it at first, but since it’s a proof Felicia is a druid, and the ancient dragon is interested in them, then there surely was something important to it.

[“Not only she already got a bonded monster, she also managed to make it evolve in an unique way so fast, and even more, that bonded monster is a child of the albino queen, the one who was created by the druid’s ancestor, if she’s not a genius then I don’t know who is.”]

Hey, isn’t this going a bit too fast? I think I’m in a dire need of some information.

77