Ch. 83 – Challenge VII
1.1k 5 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My projectiles were by no means slow, even the fast flying flies had problems dodging them, and I’ve had yet to miss a ground enemy, but what that spider did was simply unfair. He didn’t even bother to dodge, he just swatted my air bombs with his thread. It was way faster than I could see, and also there was no sign of them snapping at all.

I didn’t have much choice, the air combat would be disadvantageous for me since he can attack freely no matter where I try to run. I will have to stick to the ground and try to use monster bodies as shields. I don’t care that there are still monsters running around, there is a stronger enemy I have to focus on.

If I just dedicate a part of my mind to automatic defense, then it should be okay. Immediately after confirming my strategy I burst into a run. I had to shorten the distance since his thread gave him much longer attack range than I could achieve with sickles, but I also had to dodge his attacks at least not to let him destroy my head.

Midway through I thought about using my spirit form to just ignore attacks and materialize right in front of him, but in one of my regeneration cycles, he actually managed to slash my immaterial form, so I could safely assume he could also use [Ethereal thread], and this fact didn’t make my job of killing him any easier.

I kept losing body mass at a fast pace, but I also took occasional breaks behind the carcasses, so my hp situation wasn’t that dire. The real problem was that shortening the distance was nearly impossible, the defense of my enemy was just that impregnable. No matter how fast I moved, his thread was always faster, able to cut me from behind at my fastest.

Projectiles didn’t work, and even when I tried using a pure darkness to enshroud him, it just got scattered immediately. He probably used his thread again, but I couldn’t confirm it with my eyes. Why would a monster that strong be in an army of almost insignificant insects, why isn’t he serving my mother at the lowest floor.

I figured out I will just ask.

[“Why are you fighting me, why aren’t you with my mother if you’re that strong.”]

I could swear I saw a glint in his eyes after I used telepathy, but he didn’t stop his relentless barrage of attacks, nor did he answer me. It’s just… The attacks got a bit slower. It was almost impossible to tell, because the degree was minuscule, but he definitely slowed down. I couldn’t think of any idea why that happened, apart maybe from him getting tired, was it a coincidence that he’s gotten slower after I talked to him?

No, if he really cared for my words, he would have stopped the fight completely, he must just have gotten tired from constant attacking. After assuring myself, I focused on battle again. There was a body of a giant beetle separating me from my enemy, and a body of a firefly right under my feet, I could get a potentially effective weapon if I played it correctly.

My next move was of course, to eat the firefly.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill […] ]
[Warning, skill incompatibility detected. Converting skill.]
[Gained skill [Fire creation] ]

Just like I thought, one of most effective anti-spider weapons, maybe apart from slippers fell right into my hands. I quickly made some fireballs on similar principle to the air bombs, intending to make them explode on contact, and threw them at a spider. As expected, they exploded at a big enough distance for him to be unhurt, but surely his thread has caught on fire now.

It should right?

Are you freaking kidding me?

There was not even a small sign of burning on the ever swinging thread. It just continued the onslaught unbothered by fire, passing right trough it without losing a point of durability. Frustrated I went full on flamethrower mode and covered the field he stood on along with him with fire. No matter how strong he is, he should surely start burning now right?

So tell me please, WHY ARE YOU UNSCATHED!?

There’s a limit to how much one can ignore the rules, and one of the universal ones is that spiders along with their webs take damage from fire. So why is this guy completely immune to it? Is it really his thread? He must have warded himself with something like a spinning thread shield I used against the mushroom fairies, but then the thread should be gone by now.

Unless he was constantly making a new one.

Can someone tell me, how, as a spider thread user, could I overlook the fact that a spider can just make the thread again if his weapon gets destroyed. Maybe these titles I got for being stupid were well deserved.

[…]

Did the system just smirk at me or did I imagine it.

Doesn’t matter, we need more fire! A blazing inferno appeared in front of me, encompassing everything in my vicinity, including the spider. I didn’t care if this was cheesing, and the dungeon master didn’t react, so I assumed it was okay to use my full power there. More fire erupted from his position, and then even more, the blaze was so intense that it was getting harder to breathe, due to the intense oxygen usage.

If that won’t work, then I don’t know what will.

Could anyone give me some ideas?

Because I’m to shocked to see my enemy unscathed after I literally vaporized the ground and bodies around him.

29