Ch. 22 – Who is this guy?
4.3k 12 104
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wow, she was really just barely walking on her legs. She was more exhausted than I initially thought. I came closer to offer her some support, which she gratefully accepted by leaning on me. I was really curious about this little creature. How could she trust me like that? I mean I should be a scary monster in her eyes.

Even the mercenary guy was just standing there watching us with mouth positively agape. So it was really weird for spiders like me to help little beastkin girls. If that was true, then what was the feeling inside of me. Was it just pity, or was it something more? I felt a slight bond with her, even though I was completely sure it was our first meeting.

Did the guy who stole my egg inject me with something? With the hate for humans and love for others? It would make sense in some parts, but then why did the human obsession disappear inside of a dungeon? Aaah, it was so confusing I had to stop thinking about it.

The girlie was lost in conversation with the mercenary, and I had no idea what they were talking about, so all I could do was to support the girl so her legs wouldn’t give up. Actually, why does she keep standing? I picked her up and placed her on my back, this way she could rest, and I would have easier time keeping an eye on her.

Why does this guy bawl his eyes so much. Well I know why, but you really should already acknowledge that I’m not a normal spider. Until now he was lost in searching through the boxes, but now he was just looking at us.

Since you’re not interested anymore then I will take after you. I wonder if I can find any tasty food hidden between the trashy human belongings. It would be a good reward for my reckless actions. My sense of smell was guiding me between the wooden labyrinth of boxes towards my tasty treat.

I finally found it, stuffed in a barrel rather than a box, a large amount of dried meat slices. I handed one to the girl on my back, which she hesitantly received, and proceeded to stuff myself with the rest. It was salty, and not that delicious, but it was so far the best meat I have ever eaten.

For this moment I was clearing this dungeon. This moment was my reward, and I didn’t care about what lied at the end, I was content with just having this meat. I thought I might cry, when I chewed on the hard texture, and swallowed it greedily.

After a while I felt the girl start nervously fidgeting on my back. She too seemed like it was her first meal ever. I handed her more of the meat slices, and she wailed in joy. She actually did it, and I could swear she was almost purring on my back. Was she actual cat?

Suddenly I felt a chilling presence. I couldn’t pinpoint it accurately, it felt like a whole cave was suddenly filled with cold water. Both the girl and the mercenary didn’t seem to notice anything, but something was definitely amiss.

I could feel in my bones, that something was coming. I started spinning my thread, putting all I could into making it the deadliest weapon I had so far. This presence wasn’t comparable to anything I’ve felt before, even the sphinx had to hide before that thing.

But what was it, and where it was coming from? The happy go lucky humans with me finally started to notice something, but I wasn’t sure if they noticed the strange presence or if they just saw me agitated.

I finally saw it, or rather him, a strange man wearing a black coat covering him whole, and the hood that hid his face. He was walking casually towards us, while emitting this oppressive aura. I had no courage to attack. All I could do was to move the girl from my back to a safer position behind me.

The mercenary finally saw him too, and readied his sword, looking at me readying my web. I knew he had no idea what was going on, and actually didn’t feel anything from him. But I knew, this black guy was nothing close to ordinary. I didn’t know if even my mother would stand a chance against him.

I was positively scared for my life, even if it seemed that I was the only one who felt that way. I had no idea why only I was sensing his aura, but the fact I could only made things worse. I could fight at my full strength if I wasn’t oppressed by it, but now I couldn’t even move my muscle.

There was no bloodlust coming from him, just sheer pressure. If we were lucky, he wouldn’t attack us, but I had to make sure we escape from here safely. A couple of seconds later he was already in front of me, even if it seemed like he was slowly walking from a second end of the cave.

Just what trick did he use to shorten this quite long distance into just a short walk. I was racking my brain so much I was pretty sure I would get a skill for it.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Upgraded thought process lvl. 1] ]

See? I called it. Now what will you do, weird guy in a coat?

“Hello there, I came to talk a little.”

What did I just get myself into?

104