Ch. 34 – Did I just learn magic?
3.7k 14 83
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now for actual skill leveling, first I have to choose which ones I need. To continue my current evolution path, I probably should prioritize the level of my spider web, not because it’s needed to evolve, but because even now with my strength it can’t withstand the force of my swings. And there I was thinking it’s strong enough. A massive status buff is a double-edged sword.

I can kill weaker enemies in one hit, but if I don’t learn how to hold back, with my current level of thread it will simply disintegrate after each hit. Creating a new one isn’t a problem, but as I said earlier it comes from my behind, and I need to have it in my front limb. Maybe I can do the same thing as the cat and produce it with my limbs?  

Let’s try focusing first, concentrate on the feeling of creating my web, and try to pinpoint exact place where the process begins. Of course it’s my butt, but now I’m searching for something else.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Concentration lvl. 1] ]

Stop disturbing me. I need to focus more. I found the source, as well as something resembling the flow of my blood, but a bit different. It was a bit cold, and not very pleasant, but it was changing at inconceivable speed. Now it was warm, feeling almost like I was hugged by sun, and in the next second, it was just there, not giving of anything.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Mana detection lvl. 1] ]

Shut up, that’s not what I’m aiming for. But still I can try using this, let’s try redirecting the flow to my front limbs, and then change the shape. Let’s make it as thin as possible, a single thread to come out, but let’s not forget to make it solid enough to withstand my strength.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Mana manipulation lvl. 1] ]

Two small solid blocks appeared on the tips of my limbs, and then fell on the ground. No matter how I look at them, they are not threads. I can’t fight with those. Also, did I just accidentally learn magic? That’s stupid. But the gods said something about my attribute being useless, so I have no need for it.

I’ll appraise the things that came out of me, maybe I will learn something.

[Mana stone]
[A rare resource, often found in the dungeons. It needs almost a hundred years to form, since it’s made out of compressed mana. It’s main use is to help enchant weapons and armor with spells. Because it’s hard to find, it’s very expensive.]

So, they are just useless stones for me. Let’s ignore how am I able to make them, since they are a rare resource, and let’s just get back to farming skills proficiency. I seriously don’t need things like that in the dungeon, and I don’t intend to live with humans so money will never be in my interest.

But if I went to human settlement, I could find about the gear made out of my siblings and collect it.
I have no idea what to do with it, but just the thought about humans using them makes me angry. If I went to live there, my life would also be much more comfortable, and I would be able to feed my cat girl with every delicacy she would want.

I guess living with humans isn’t a big no, but it doesn’t mean that I like them. I just need to collect what belongs to spiders, and while being at it, collect some reparations for their wrongdoings. I’m definitely not coming there so I could eat tasty food. Definitely not…

I got distracted again. At this pace I will never get enough skills to evolve properly. I peeked at what the girl was doing, and saw her tying her thread to one of the stones to create something like a
yo-yo. And she actually made it, not the crude version I was expecting, but something that looked like a perfectly made toy.

Apparently, she was able to change the shape of the stone as she pleased. I was speechless, and not only literally with my inability to talk. This cat was going to turn into something much stronger than I initially expected. There is a limit to one’s talent, and hers is definitely set higher than mine.

Maybe she is actually the protagonist, and I’m a side character and her pet. I don’t want this, I’m going to try hard that it doesn’t actually happen. I can’t let her outshine me. I will get stronger, and be the one to protect her, and not the other way around.

But I still will be protecting her like a pet… I guess I will never get the stigma of tamed monster off me. But wouldn’t it be cool, to enter a city with her on my back, having everyone look at us with gaping jaws, because of the fact that a little girl managed to tame a royal spider.

Yup, it wouldn’t be that bad. I’m a spider princess, so having someone on my back should be humiliating, but for some reason I don’t care as long as it’s this girl. Maybe I’m just not accustomed enough to being a royal, which would actually have sense, since I was never treated like one.

It’s just normal “everything wants to kill me” life, like every monster has, so probably it just can’t sink in.

 

I will probably need a name for the cat soon, any suggestions?

83