Ch. 35 – Monkeys don’t faze me
3.2k 11 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I just remembered something about the magic. Maybe not “remembered” because I didn’t know this before, but my extensive internal library that I got from somewhere just activated when I was thinking whenever using magic would be an option.

Gods said that my attribute is normally useless, but that doesn’t mean I can’t use magic overall. All living beings have one main attribute, which defines them as such. Normally monsters as a species have a set attribute, which defines their strengths and weaknesses.

The main attribute should be the one, you have the highest affinity with, so it shouldn’t actually mean that I won’t be able to use useful magic. Since it was said to be useless, I should be weak versus almost everything, and strong against nothing, but it shouldn’t be the case. I simply know no attribute like that, and my knowledge covers a lot of them.

Gods had to check it earlier, because blessings can conflict the attributes. For example if someone with water got the blessing of fire, instead of getting stronger, they would just weaken themselves. I got my blessings without any problems, so I at least know that I am compatible with them.

But I still have no idea what my attribute is, nor do I know my affinities. I shouldn’t be good with water, because I simply hate it ever since I had to cross the lake on the grass floor. Fire probably isn’t good too, because spiders overall are weak against it. I probably don’t have earth and air, I just don’t feel like using them.

This mean I have none of the main attributes, and should search among others, but there’s just too much of them. So let’s actually forget about the attributes, if I want to learn magic, I will do it via trial and error, and for now, let’s return to gathering skills for evolutions. I feel like I did return to this matter a couple of times now.

I already know what I should start with, so let’s begin. I sat in a corner of the house, having the playing cat to watch as I worked, and began spinning my webs. I started making balls of them, since I had no better idea at how to utilize them, and decided to leave them for later.

First, second, third…

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Inferior spider web lvl. 7] ]

Maybe it won’t take that much time.

3 days later

It really didn’t take that much time. I made about a hundred of these balls, and was well past the level nine of the skill. It should level up anytime soon.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Inferior spider web lvl. MAX] ]
[ [Spider web lvl. 1] was derived from the [Inferior spider web lvl. MAX] ]

I kind of knew it would be like that, but it’s still a bit underwhelming. I quietly wanted a cooler version of this skill, but I guess I will have to be satisfied with this one.

[Possible evolutions:]
[Great albino Tarantula (young) ]
[???]

But as I guessed before, no new options here. Evolving this skill was necessary, but it wasn’t required, or at least not only it, for me to evolve further. My next course of action should probably be evolving my [Thread mastery] and [Thread techniques] but for it to level efficiently I needed to have something to fight.

Come to think of this, I didn’t check the traps I laid in this three days, because I confined myself inside the house. If previous monsters weren’t one-time event, then probably something was already stuck in them.

I left the house, and passed by the cat girl that was playing with her yo-yo with the traps surrounding our camp as my direction. Arriving at the place, I was speechless. Not only monsters were caught in the traps, they were countless.

No matter where I looked, I saw a lot of normal sized monkeys stuck to the web. I was wondering what miracle was holding everything together, but it seemed that my traps were good enough to stop an army like that. At this point it seemed like an invasion on my property that was stopped by security measures.

There certainly was more than hundred of them, some were even trying to climb onto each other, but they couldn’t get away from the sticky webs. I was surprised that they didn’t use each other to get past the traps, but probably they were caught faster than they could understand the situation.

I feel like I just avoided a fight for my life. I mean having to fight an army like that alone? Because the cat girl couldn’t be counted as a fighting potential. I didn’t even have an upper ground, something like a mini fortress made of webs suspended on the ceiling of the floor would give me an advantage, but all I had were my on ground traps and house.

I feel like it would be stupid to be ambushed by the monkeys, so I was glad that I made traps beforehand. I mean how could you let an army like that sneak right next to you. It would be stupid wouldn’t it. And I probably wouldn’t be able to escape them, because they could just block the stairs.

I’m glad I didn’t have to fight the monkey army, and even more glad they were all just small apes. I mean if bigger individuals, gorillas or something, showed up, I would be screwed even with my traps. And if I killed some of the monkeys while they were unrestrained, the rest would want to revenge them, and would pursue me to heaven’s end.

I’m really glad I’m not stupid enough to let an army like that ambush me.

85