Ch. 38 – Playing with pets makes you stronger
3k 14 83
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up quite refreshed, with all traces of yesterday’s fatigue gone. I again decided to hold my anger at humans back until I actually have a chance to get back at them, so that meant I really had to finish conquering the dungeon first.

I wondered how many times I would be reminded I need to kill them all. I started my adventure with a craving for their meat, and now I’m just plain angry at them. Maybe a part of me already knew of their deeds and subconsciously sought revenge manifesting as wanting to eat them.

Oh, the girl woke up. I just can’t get past her cuteness. She wiped her eyes sleepily, and looked at me with a smile. She really must have been alone for a long time, to smile like that at a monster. Since I leveled up some skills, and didn’t really want to train like a machine to get thread mastery I decided to play with her today.

We ate breakfast together, at which I was again surprised at how much the girl could eat. She gulped down easily twice the amount of meat I had. I was actually wondering where did she fit the, but seeing her rounded up belly confirmed that it obeyed the laws of physics even if only a bit.

When I was thinking what to do, she took out her yo-yos and started playing with one. I was curious if she knew any tricks so I kept watching. Turns out she knew a lot of them, I had no idea what laws were the yo-yos obeying but gravity definitely didn’t affect them.

It actually made sense she was able to do things like that since she got a skill, but her learning was definitely too fast. I started to wonder if with my skill in handling threads, would I be able to use the yo-yo too.

She probably can read minds too, since she offered me one the same moment I though about using it. She tied it to my front limb and started to look at me with some expectations. I had close to no idea how to use it, but I still tried to replicate the movements of the girl, failing spectacularly.

This was harder than I thought, when it fell to the ground, it didn’t want to climb back up, even if it did when she was handling it. It just wouldn’t listen to me, so I tried to use my thread control, but all mana I put into the thread somehow went into the stone the yo-yo was made out of.

It started glowing a bit, then suddenly it shoot up, slipping from my limb, and then fell on my head, nearly knocking me out. I heard the girl laughing at me, and soon I started laughing too. Internally that is.

It was fun, playing with her, even if I couldn’t use the yo-yo. It wasn’t like being inside a dungeon, it was like having a warm home somewhere in the open space. I wondered what would my life look like, if that guy didn’t steal my egg. I probably would live with my mother and then die pointless death, killed by humans as soon as I left the nest.

And I would probably never met that catkin I have here. Maybe it was good that I wasn’t born in a safe place? Maybe it was good that I had to leave the nest? I wouldn’t know definitely what would happen if I was born in a nest, but my life now wasn’t that bad, even if I’ll eventually have to go back to fighting for my life.

After playing with yo-yos we went to check the traps together, and since there were no new monsters caught we started playing together again. We played tag, trying to catch each other, and even if I had an advantage of stats, catching her wasn’t really that easy.

We spent the rest of the day together having fun, and by the end I got a skill for some reason.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Bond] ]

It was probably because I spent the time with her, but it was still a bit weird to get a skill just for that. Maybe we fulfilled some other requirements that I didn’t know about?

[Bond]
{A skill exclusive to the druids and bonded monsters. It’s a proof of deep trust between both of them. Throughout history those who obtained this skill were known as the greatest warriors, since it makes tapping into primal energy of monsters possible. There is a little known about druids, and where do they come from, but almost all of their bonded monsters were observed being unique monsters.}

Okay, so the girl is a druid huh? Or is it me? I mean I have no idea how to check it, but probably since the appraisal said that druids have bonded monsters, that would mean that I am this bonded monster and not the girl.

I had no idea what a druid was, even my internal library didn’t give me any clue. Maybe they were some sort of nature lovers that liked having monsters as their company? They were probably very rare, because if they could get very strong just by befriending monsters, the world would suffer major power imbalance.

But the thing that intrigued me the most was the final part of the appraisal result. Almost all bonded monsters were unique variants, so did this mean I would get to evolve into one? I had to check it.

[Possible evolutions:]
[Great albino Tarantula (young) ]
[Albino spirit spider]
[???]

And there it was.

 

So, the thing is I already have the next chapter completed and it's a pretty long one. I would say that I would upload it today if I saw at least one $ on my paypal, but it's hard for me to beg for money, so it will be uploaded tomorrow anyway :P

83