Back in Town
820 3 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Words: 1382

JOIN THE DISCORD: https://discord.gg/zawF4jt5xw

I also have up to 20 advanced chapters of this story available on patre0n.com/xlucqs, with the lowest tier being £4 for 5 advanced chapters. Subscribing isn't necessary, but it is greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone who had subscribed so far, I appreciate it!

======

It had been 15 days since Akira's trip to Xavier's school. It was a very nice day for a change, Akira realised shortly after, as the days after Akira settled back into his usual routine of the brutal training regime Cathleen put him through. It wasn't very nice.

"Huff…Huff" Akira was panting for breath after the most recent spar had finished. He had been getting stronger, but still nowhere near his mentor's level. The sun was already beginning to set, giving Akira a thrilling view of the sky as he rested on the ground.

As usual, Cathleen stood there, perfectly fine, the only signs of exhaustion being shown was a drop of sweat on her forehead.

"You're getting better, much better. You're adapting faster, speaking faster and choosing your <Orders> better. Those passive <Orders> seem to be helping as well." She praised.

It was something Akira had recently begun to do at the start of his training. Cathleen advised him that he could use his <Orders> to adapt his body quicker and build up resistances and strength. For example, while having an <Order> which allowed his body to adapt faster and another one allowing him to break his limits, he had been taking freezing cold showers and sitting in steaming hot saunas. This was helping build his body up against things like temperature.

It had also been helping him in his workouts. Recently he had hit a stagnation of sorts when trying to improve his physical strength. Even without his super strength <Order>, many would say his strength was abnormal, almost unbelievable for a 14 year old boy. Akira believed he had hit his body's natural limit, but with these <Orders> it allowed him to improve even further and break that limit.

"I'm beginning to get sick of training, these past few months, that's all I've done."

"You want to be the new symbol of peace don't you? When All Might retires, which will be soon…" There was a hint of pain and nostalgia in her voice, "...It's up to you to take over, and keep Japan from going into chaos, so it's why I'm pushing you so hard. A hero has to sacrifice basic indulgences for the sake of protecting your country and its citizens. It's why it's only encouraged that you only become a hero if you enjoy saving people, otherwise the job would be exhausting and bring no satisfaction, and you will burn yourself out."

Akira sighed. As usual she was spitting facts. He swore he felt like everyone always had a good answer to his complaints, even though they were more than justifiable. He chose this path, and he was not giving it up, he could complain every once in a while, right?

"Why did you become a hero?" Akira asked after a short bout of silence.

Cathleen looked up at the setting sun, a million memories racing through her mind, "It started when I was 8. All Might saved me and my little sister from death, with a smile on his face. Ever since then I looked up to him, and I wanted to become a hero, having that same smile on my face. When the government found out what my quirk was capable of, I skipped the waiting and went straight to the training. By the time I entered Xavier's school, I was already much stronger than most of my peers," She looked at the sky fondly, "Still, those years were the best of my life. I met Dan there, was trained by Arnold, and made so many memories. By the time I was 18, I was officially a pro hero, and when I reached 25, I had taken that top spot for myself. And the rest was history." By the time she finished, both herself and Akira had a smile on their faces.

His smile slowly turned into a sorry look, shrouding the grin he had on his face, "So you were brutally trained by the government to become their weapon, and now you are brainwashed into it? It all makes sense."

"What!? N-" She managed to stop herself upon looking at Akira's smile.

He grinned in victory, "Now you know how it feels."

"Now I know." She paused for a short silence, "Also, Akira, a piece of advice."

"Hm?"

"Get a hobby." She suddenly said. Akira stuttered on his words, trying to respond, but Cathleen cut him off, elaborating on her words.

"I've been with you the past month, and it's clear to me that I know you are determined…almost too determined. It's like you know a threat is coming and you are desperately trying your best to get strong enough to stop it. Over my years as a hero I've seen many people like you, and do you know what they all have in common? They burn themselves out. Their entire life is based on being a hero, and they exhaust themselves to death. I don't want to see you turn out like that Akira. What I'd recommend is finding a hobby, something to enjoy outside of your hero work."

Akira stared off into the sunset, contemplating Cathleen's words. They sat there in silence, and no more words were spoken.

=====

Akira parted ways from America with a sad smile. Overall, he was really happy with the time he spent there. From the hero awards to eating fast food, even the training was somewhat enjoyable, mostly thanks to his mentor Cathleen.

He had gained invaluable experience, especially with his quirk. One thing he also gained lots of experience in was fighting a losing battle. During his time as a Vigilante it wasn't unusual for him to have an advantage on the field of battle, so to finally fight someone with his quirk and be on the losing end was a significant change of pace, but one he was getting used to.

He was still far from being strong enough to fight monsters like All Might and AFO, but he was getting closer.

Returning to Japan, he recalled what Nezu had in store for him. The plan was simple, to have him obtain his hero licence and rise through the ranks until he was ready to take over All Might's place. It was simple on paper, but the journey accompanying it would be the hard part.

The main plot to the actual manga would start soon, and Akira had no plans to sit back and relax while all the unknown forces made themselves known to the world. The League of Villains, the Liberation army…Overhaul, he would destroy them with no mercy.

He took a deep breath of fresh air and sighed happily as he took in the air of Japan. Although he loved America, he certainly missed his home country. But the thing he missed most of all…was his bed. He couldn't wait to have a full night's rest in it again.

Which is exactly what he was going to do right now.

"BED! Here I come!" He got an assortment of weird looks from the bystander, but Akira was too absorbed in his fantasy to notice. The taxi drive couldn't be slower, but when he saw his apartment, he teared up a bit.

He ran up the stairs of his apartment, the keys in his pocket jiggling as he dashed across the top floor. As he got the keys from his pocket and was about to insert them into the keyhole, he was wrapped in an all too familiar bundle of cloth.

"No running in the halls." Aizawa glared at him, his eyes glowing red.

"That's how you greet your student after a month?" Akira was perplexed. Even Cathleen wouldn't do this to him!

"Rules are rules." He released Akira from his hold, "But welcome back. Relax and get settled in, you'll need it as school starts tomorrow."

Akira smiled at Aizawa's warm welcome, maybe he wasn't as heartless as he was to be shown. It looks like he had grown on him. Before he knew it, Akira was snuggled in the warm embrace of his covers. Slowly but surely, he drifted off into an endless slumber, never to be awoken from…

Aizawa's words suddenly replayed back in his head, repeating like a broken record. His eyes widened in shock.

"BUT IT'S A SATURDAY!!!"

35