Chapter 48: Meeting Gideon
68 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 48: Meeting Gideon

 The demon boy was nervous. Alek had gone to the Unemployment Office, and had told him to man the shop. Darius sat behind the counter. He knew how to use the cash register, and knew what each rune was worth. He was a bit taken aback, when he saw that his cream runes went for twenty gold coins per a single one. 

Likewise, he knew that, Alek had to make some profit too, but with such a price people had better chances of getting the rune by exchanging blood for it. That was not something he was going to change, however.

Alek was using the money to make the shop bigger. Darius had also seen the Fey leaf through a catalog on rune books, and they had all looked expensive. 

Just who gives one thousand gold coins for a book?

Well, it seemed that Alek was of the mind to do just that. Seeing as the Fey didn't know much about runes, and didn't have the blood needed to make them in his veins, the books could only be for one person. 

He wants me to grow, to become the best!

Darius's tail began to wag, and a smile blossomed on his lips. The bell chimed, and a man walked inside the rune shop. He looked richly dressed, and another man walked behind him soon after. The men were both middle-aged, although the one who entered after the rich man wore a servant's garb. 

"So, this is the store that sells the new runes," the man murmured more to himself than to anyone else. Darius smiled brightly at the two, and forced his tail to stop wagging. Now, it was haggle time, of that, the demon boy was certain. 

"Welcome to Alek's Runes, noble gentlemen," Darius said, and then opened his arms wide. "Browse to your heart's content." 

"We don't have time for browsing," the rich man said, and then walked to the counter. "I heard that you have titanium and adamantine armor runes that can turn into tattoos in here?" 

"We do. Would you like one?" Darius asked, and he pulled the two sets of armor runes out. "Titanium will provide better protection, but it will make you move slower. Adamantine is good against anything short of a dragon. Plus, it will not hinder your movements." 

"Can they both be applied?" The man asked, but Darius shook his head. 

"Only one type of rune is applied for the skin per life. I am sorry, but you have to choose," Darius said, and the man held up the two runes, staring at the papers. 

"Joffrey, which one do you think is best?" The man asked his servant, who moved closer. 

"Well, I think that the adamantine armor will give you an edge in the duel, as long as you combine it with one of those cream runes the mistress likes so much," the servant said, and Darius's eyes widened. 

 "You are going to duel someone?" Darius asked, and the man nodded. His face was in a hard set, and his jaw was clenched. 

"An honor duel, my boy. I stand to lose my life, if I don't get the armor I need. My opponent will also use runes, so, it is not cheating," the man said, and Darius looked at him, confused. 

"Cheating? What does cheating have to do with staying alive?" Darius asked, not understanding the elf. 

"See, Joffrey? The kid knows a thing or two about the world," the man nodded his approval, and then pushed the titanium armor towards Darius. 

"I want to buy this one. How does it become a tattoo?" He asked, and Darius was quick to check the price. Fifteen gold coins. His eyes widened at that. 

A life is worth fifteen gold coins? What of those that can't afford these runes? Am I doing the right thing, getting richer and withholding them from the poor?

"Are you thinking that the runes are too expensive, my boy?" The rich man asked, and then shook his head. "Are you the inventor? I heard rumors about the inventor being a child."

 "I am, sir," Darius said, bowing his head. "Do you think I am doing the right thing, allowing Alek to charge people such prices for something I can do in a minute?"

"Boy, don't speak nonsense! Don't you know that people tried to copy you, and failed? The price is right, if you ask me," the man said, and Darius blinked. 

"But I have a patent under my name," he said, but the rich man just chuckled. 

"There is something in your blood that makes it special. No one has managed to mix their blood with that of a beast's. Yes, your secret is out. Has been for months," the man told Darius, who looked around with wide eyes. 

"But how? I was careful!" Darius protested, and the man chuckled again. 

"It is the best type of rune advancement. You are an anomaly, my boy. I dare say that you will have to watch your back, so no one kidnaps you," the man said, and Darius gulped. 

 "Would you also want a cream rune?" Darius asked, changing the subject. 

"Make me a package with all of your protection runes," the man demanded, as he took out a coin pouch. "I intend to become one of the Imperial Guard, should I live through this honor duel." 

Darius didn't ask what Empire the man belonged to. There were too many elven realms for the little demon boy to think too much on the matter. 

"My name is Gideon Handriel," the rich elf said, and then pointed behind himself at his servant. "And this is Joffrey Maroon. We will be seeing ourselves a lot, young man, should I survive." 

"I will be living for Orestria Academy in the Realms of the Forgotten Times in two weeks," Darius said, and the man chuckled. 

"Well, good. I am one of the instructors there. Did you know that, no matter how many years pass in the Realm of the Forgotten Times, people age by the time that passes in their original world?" 

"I won't be a grown up in two-hundred years?" Darius asked, and the man shook his head. 

"You will be, but your lifespan will just count one month out of itself," the elf said, and then gave Darius a soft smile. "The Realms of the Forgotten Times is the home of many long-lived species. It is the only way that we can see thousands of years pass us by." 

As Gideon paid, Darius became thoughtful. So, if he got Andiel and Alek to the Realms of the Forgotten Times, they could live for millions of years? He wouldn't have to lose them in a couple of hundred years?

8