Chapter 134: Attack
1.1k 6 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To read up to 15 chapters ahead: https://www.patréon.com/SlyOW

-------------

I hadn't seen it when I came, but there was actually a carriage in front of my residence, which happened to belong to Takashi. Before leaving I left some instructions to my servants.

"Clean the house, and watch for any bugs."

It seemed like I was simply asking my servants to clean the house, but it was actually a secret code for search for spies, and make me a report when I come back.

Takashi, unaware of the meaning of what I said, led me to his carriage, opening the door for me as only the two of us got in, while Asuma and Kazuma were in front of the carriage, alongside our chauffeur.

As the carriage started moving and the two of us stood in front of each other, Takashi asked, "So, how have you been in the last two years?"

Laying back in my seat and crossing my legs, I saw him follow the movements of my legs with attention, and I replied, "Well, you know, war. Killing, promotions…"

Takashi looked up and made an uneasy smile, "Sorry, I didn't mean…"

I shook my head, "It's fine, I understand. What about you?"

Takashi scrubbed his knee as he replied, "Things were not as intense as you…"

I cut him off with a smile, "Relax, I'm not mad at you for not taking part in the war, so stop feeling like you are walking on eggshells and speak up. Besides, you may not have been fighting at the battlefield, I doubt things were really relaxing for you either."

Takashi smiled as he relaxed slightly, and nodded, "They have. The war has stretched our resources thin, military or not. Because of the hostilities our reserves of food have drastically lowered, and both import and export has become… scarce. This resulted in an increasing demand from the people toward us, and it all boiled up to this rebellion."

I narrowed my eyes slightly and smiled as I asked, "Do you often handle your father's duties?"

Takashi's face turned a little timid as he replied, "Father is often busy with other matters, especially the nobles…"

I commented, "So he is being lorded around by his nobles, and has forgotten about his people."

Takashi bit his lip as he tried to defend his father, "I wouldn't say that."

Scoffing softly, I replied, "It doesn't matter how you would call it, the results are clear for anyone to see. I think I know where to start now. Tell me, what exactly are the nobles doing? I heard of a council?"

Takashi handled his tilted spear, as it was too big to stand upright in the carriage, uneasily as he replied, "So you heard of the Noble Council… Fine. To be honest, the situation is getting a little out of hand."

I nodded, as it was. Despite having many similarities to the Feudal Japanese Government, especially with the similar names such as Daimyo or Shogun, the government of the Land of Fire wasn't actually very close to the FJG.

Instead, it felt a little more Roman, in a sense.

You had the Daimyo at the top, or the Emperor, and they officially ruled over the entire land. However, there were also Nobles, or Senators, who all held some amount of power and formed a Council, or Senate, and which held a considerable amount of power.

Back at the Warring State Era, and even the beginning of the Hidden Villages Era, things used to be a lot more like FJG. Back then Shinobis were nothing but clans, and although some were very strong, like the Uchiha and the Senju, they were very sedentary, and kept to themselves.

But with the arrival of the villages, they mixed with all kinds of people, and their power started being used for other purposes, which brought a huge instability within all the lands.

That's what brought the nobles to band together, and although they were rather mild at first, they had recently used the commotion created by the rebellion to create a Council.

The Council was made of nobles within the Land of Fire and their objective was to 'help' the Daimyo run the country in those trying times.

And according to what Takashi told me, the Daimyo had his hands full with trying to cope with the actions of the Council, desperately holding onto his power while he left the ones who truly mattered aside.

Takashi also explained, "The Council is made of 50 Nobles, all of whom reside in Sendai. As for the remaining 16, while not part of the Council, they all are gathering small armies within their land. They may or may not be part of the rebellion."

"And you can't stop them because they can use the rebellion as an excuse. That they need an army to protect themselves."

Takashi nodded, his eyes looking a little tired, and desperate.

Well damn, the situation is worse than I thought. And Konoha didn't really seem bothered by this. I feel like I got more than I bargained for.

But fuck it, I'm not just going to ignore this large problem because I don't feel like it. I accepted a position, and it comes with a responsibility, and I'm not the kind of person who ignore those.

Seeing the state Takashi was in, I smiled and lifted his chin up, having him look into my eyes as I said, "Don't worry, I'm here now."

Takashi looked stupefied, before he uttered, "Marry me!"

"No." I replied, still smiling.

"Please?"

"No, politely."

Takashi grabbed my hand and said earnestly, "I'm definitely going to win your heart one day! But until then, please help me. I know it is not very manly of me to do, but…"

Chuckling, I reassured him, "In my eyes, it's more manly to set aside your pride and ask a woman for help than let your problems silently eat you."

Again, that same look of surprise, but it was followed by true happiness. He really is lonely isn't he?

But our little 'moment' was broken by the sound of whistling wind. Looking out through the window, I saw a rain of arrows fly toward our carriage, only for a large wall to erect from the ground, protecting the carriage.

Takashi, moving with a surprising speed, opened the window and asked, "Asuma, Kazuma! Situation!"

Asuma replied in a rather shaken manner, "We're being attacked, my Lord. By Benders it seems."

Takashi gasped and asked, "Benders? How is the situation?"

Asuma scratched his head, taking a look around before replying, "Not exactly strong enough to pose danger, but the fact that they are attacking us in broad daylight like this, in the middle of the capital…"

Takashi nodded grimly, before turning to me and saying with a forced smile, "Please allow me to deal with this problem. I'm sure you could easily deal with this, but think of this as a way to show you my progress."

I shrugged, and replied, "Fine, I'll be watching. Don't disappoint."

Takashi nodded, seemingly energized by my words as he grabbed his spear firmly, and jumped out of the carriage.

Meanwhile, I sent a look at Asuma, who was still looking at me, and said, "You can go, I don't need protection."

Asuma munched on the straw in his mouth as he said, "I heard of your reputation, and if half of it is right, then you probably understand who the target is, and who sent them."

Narrowing my eyes, I asked, "What are you asking me, Mister Sarutobi?"

Asuma looked a little relieved by my form of address, and asked, "Please don't settle the matter with the masterminds with a bloodbath."

I nodded shortly, and Asuma breathed in relief as he used the Body Flicker to disappear.

55