Chapter 20 – Urban Combat
4.7k 7 198
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

—Cole POV—

“Pro Heroes work long hours on the streets, chasing criminals and patrolling the streets to give the public a sense of security. It is critical that you have high endurance as a fight can be drawn on for hours, or you might have to chase a criminal across town without the aid of vehicle transport.”, I told them.

 

Nodding their heads, the students understood where I was coming from. Having seen fights on the news, they knew endurance was a high priority for every Hero.

 

“Now then, I won’t start your training with kiddy gloves. We are diving straight into Urban Combat Training with a challenge added to it.”, I told them pointing to the training equipment, “Each one of you is responsible for taking one of these training dummies to a clinic a kilometer from here. You will encounter obstacles and run into many enemies along your route there. You are allowed to freely use your Quirks as you see fit.” 

 

“Is there anything we need to know?”, Izuku asked.

 

“Each training dummy is equipped with an array of sensors. All impacts they take will be recorded and logged by the computer system. Once you reach the Clinic your score will be calculated, if your civilian dies…you instantly fail this exercise.”, I remarked, “Also, be mindful of your surroundings as there will be civilians everywhere along your route. Just because you have a victim already in hand doesn’t mean that they are chop liver. There will be training dummies running all over the place just like civilians would if a fight broke out.”

 

Confirming that none of the other students had questions, each of them grabbed a victim and reviewed the map I posted for them. Once they pathed their route, they walked over and lined up on the starting line like this was some sort of race.

 

“What are you waiting for!? If this was a real rescue no one is going to tell you to start taking people to safety! Every moment counts!”, I barked.

 

Hearing my words, the class took off running down the street in a hurry. Rubbing my forehead in frustration, I was disappointed they hadn’t thought things through completely based on the rules I gave them. This was their first rescue operation so it was to be expected, but I at least expected Momo, Tenya, or Izuku to think critically about what the rules I gave implied. Izuku of all people should have given it a thought given how devoted he was to the Hero World.

 

“Are you sure this is the best way to start their training?”, All Might asked me out of concern, “It’s a bit much to expect each of them to carry their victim. In the field, we should be sharing the burden with each other, and sidekicks.”

 

“When did I say they couldn’t share the burden? All I said was that each one of them was responsible for a single victim.”, I pointed out, “I never said they couldn’t work as a team, they just naturally decided not to work together. When we are in the field we work with what we have at hand, they have to learn that one way or another."

 

Taking a moment to reflect on the rules I gave the students, All Might realized I hadn’t really given them restrictions. Giving him a grin, I said that the students wouldn't pass this test without working as a team. Stating that their Quirks weren't flexible enough to allow it, All Might asked why I didn't tell them to just work as a team, to begin with.

 

“When you arrive on the scene, do you immediately ask for guidance or do you start working? The kids need to learn that when they are in the field, they have to make snap second decisions on their own and coordinate with others when needed. This situation is made to show them that no one can be a one-man show all the time, sometimes we have to work together to achieve our goal.”, I told him, “Giving them situations in a textbook or in a simulation isn’t going to engrain it in their minds. They need to experience it first hand to understand what to look for.”

 

“I see!! So this test then is really to make them think critically, understand their limits, and see where they can work together as a team.", All Might said realizing I was placing them directly in a situation they may face in the field but in a controlled environment, "This is a very interesting teaching method!"

 

Nodding my head, I told him that hands-on experience is the best way for them to learn to think on their feet. In the real world, a villain isn’t going to give them time to huddle up and make a game plan. They have to understand when teamwork is needed, and when they have to act solo in the field. When I was being trained by my Master in every life, they purposefully put me in situations where I couldn’t win with a straightforward plan. All of them did it to show me that you have to approach every situation as if it is a unique one, it’s the best way to prevent yourself from being lulled into a false sense of security.

 

Suggesting that we follow the students from the rooftops, I told All Might I wanted to note down things about the students. Agreeing with me, the two of us followed closely behind them all the way to the Clinic. Jotting down notes about where they excelled and where they were lacking, I wanted to give them a clear picture of where they stood now. Reaching the Clinic thirty minutes later, the students keeled over with exhaustion. Having gone through seven waves of enemy ambushes, the students were beaten up quite badly.

 

Making sure they got some water to rehydrate, I started by speaking to them as a group. Pointing out they could have worked as a team from the get-go, Momo and Izuku’s expressions cramped up. Reviewing the rules I gave them again, their expressions were priceless as they realized they overcomplicated things. Going on from there, I pointed out the areas they needed to improve such as observing their surroundings and being mindful of where their classmates were. On several occasions, Shoto almost froze civilians and classmates while Denki zapped several civilians on accident when his electricity arced.

 

“Overall though, you all did pretty well…”, I said before turning to look at Shoto and Bakugo, “That said, the biggest mistake today was leaving your injured civilians with almost no cover while you ran off to fight the enemies. Do not ever leave civilians exposed to danger like that, that is a good way to get them killed or taken hostage. You had colleagues you could have handed them off to before engaging.”

 

“Someone had to do it because these weaklings couldn’t do it!”, Bakugo shouted.

 

“Then why didn’t you hand your victim to someone else to guard while you fought the enemy?”, I inquired, “Are you saying they are incapable of keeping your victim alive? I mean you’d be the one kiting the enemies away from them so they wouldn’t be in danger. Are you saying you can’t do that much?”

 

“That…”, Bakugo started to say before fizzling out.

 

Admitting it was a poor choice on their part, they acknowledged it as extremely dangerous and reckless of them. Even Bakugo begrudgingly admitted he made a mistake by not giving his victim to someone while he fought. His classmates were shocked he admitted so much that they asked to send him to the nurse's office.

 

"All of you shut up!", Bakugo shouted, "Even I can admit when I make a mistake!"

 

Ignoring that statement, I continued down my list.

 

“Now then onto more individualized points, Ochaco…do you normally get motion sickness when you use your Quirk?”, I questioned already knowing the answer.

 

Nodding her head, she admitted that using her Quirk on too many things or overusing it caused her to feel nauseous. Asking her if the sensation was like being on a plane that was doing aerial maneuvers, she said that it was just like fighter pilots in the movies. 

 

“Try using a small amount of Milk of Magnesia before using your Quirk. It will help mitigate that problem, pilots back in WW2 used it to combat that same sensation you feel when using your Quirk. Be sure to read the label carefully before using it.”, I stated with a smile, “Izuku, I noticed that you are freely able to switch where your Quirk activates in your body. Why aren’t you using it on your entire body? You are causing yourself unnecessary bodily harm when you focus only on one part of your body. Strengthening your whole body will help minimize your injuries while using your Quirk.”

 

“It’s harder than it looks.”, he remarked.


“Izuku, it really isn’t that difficult to understand. When you go to use your Quirk, try to picture it as you jumping into a swimming pool. Let the power cover you as the water would.”, I told him.

 

Getting up, Izuku took a deep breath and tried doing what I told him to do. It took a few moments, but One For All did activate all over his body instead of just one part of it. The moment he stopped concentrating, the activation stopped leaving him in disbelief.

 

“Wow!”, he shouted in shock, “It really is that easy!”

 

Hearing All Might choke up, as he had been unable to teach Izuku that, I suppressed my urge to laugh.

 

“All you have to do is train to be that way without focusing.”, I said with a nod, “It won’t be an easy thing to do, but I am sure you can manage it.”

 

Thanking me for my guidance, several of the other students asked for my advice as well. Giving them pointers on areas they could improve, I got to Momo as her issue was more difficult to remedy.

 

"With your Quirk, you manufacture items from your body. The bigger the item the more surface area you need on your skin, right?", I questioned.

 

"How…how did you know that? None of my previous Instructors realized that.", Momo gasped.

 

"My suggestion to you is to work with the Tech Department to get you a special suit made. You don't want to tear your suit up every time you use your Quirk. Unless you want your body all over the web, it's your safest option.", I told her, "There are many sick people in this world, I would rather you not go through what many young female Heroines go through."

 

Looking at me confused, she wasn’t understanding what I was alluding to. Telling her I would have Midnight explain it to the ladies since I wasn't going to tell them about what sort of things perverts might do with exposing photos. Even though Midnight was a tease, I trusted she'd advise them of the dangers out there as many Heroines had to find out eventually.

 

“With that, I have your final results…all of you let your victims die in the first wave of attackers.”, I told them bluntly, “Next class we will do a different activity.”

 

“Don’t we get a second chance!?”, Tenya demanded.

 

“Do you get a second chance in the field?”, I questioned, “The goal of this was not whether or not you pass, it’s for you to reflect on where you excel and where you need improvement. For the rest of this class period, I want you to reflect on the exercise. The robots have been disabled now so if you want to walk the path you took, please feel free to.”

 

Taking me up on the offer, several of the students forced themselves to stand and walked away to review the aftermath. With the memories of the fights still in their heads, they could review where they tripped up and how to fix it next time. Leaving them to it, I marked up their grades for today and left them to it.

198