28 – It’s important to gather intel
1.9k 1 84
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I was guided to the village chief’s house, I was surprised that it was a medium size container. A mix between a robot workshop and living quarters

 

The floor, the table, chairs and backrest, and the furniture are made of wood.

 

I think I have made a fool of the civilization level of this village. Seriously, how did civilization here decline so much? This place was never meant for poverty on this level.

 

Though it can be said that the living environment in this world differs for each country, I guess it is safe to say that they have a tough life like the middle-ages of earth.

 

The quality of life is also known because nearly half of the population is less than 15 years old. It seems that the average life expectancy was about 30 years old at most.

 

Given that the population was gradually increasing in every country, a fortunate couple who survived until their 30s can give birth to 4-5 children in their lifetime and about half of them survive. Of course, these are just theories I’m thinking and I am basing them off of historical dramas.

 

Then, although there are only relatively young villagers, the average life expectancy will be high if there are many adults who can be said to be middle-aged in small rural villages in rural areas.

 

“Ano, are all of you mercenaries? If so, can you please say your rank? I’d like to pay with the same amount as an emergency request according to your rank as thanks….”

 

The village mayor seemed to be apologetic. He may be wary of being demanded by us a great amount of money.

 

In a world without firearms, such a group can only be handled by tens of people, if not, it’s impossible.

 

Although we do have our mercenary cards, I have no intention of identifying myself as such. Then again, I don’t want to say my name before I get some intel.

 

“We are not mercenaries. We came from a considerably far-off place. Because the reward is unnecessary, can you just give me information in return?”

 

When I said so, the village chief flashed his eyes in a troubled and difficult look but he seemed to be relieved.

 

“Information? To be honest, there is not much goods and money in this village so I’m really grateful but I’m not sure if we can give you great information because we’re just countrymen…”

 

“You don’t have to worry. You just need to say what you know.”

 

My interrogation process started. First, I wanted to find out what happened to this planet. I asked about the Vanderbach Federation and also asked something like "wasn't this planet supposed to be under the rule of an entity living in the grand palace a few kilometers from this village?". 

 

The village chief scratched his head as if not knowing how to answer this, but eventually he gave it to me straight.

 

Apparently the serenity I envisioned for the planet did exist, but that was years ago. According to legends there was indeed a person considered equal to a deity that lived in the Grand Palace, but that person suddenly vanished one day. Without its protector, the planet took a weird twist.

 

Without its protector, apparently various forces tried to seize control over time of the planet. As years passed, eventually the Vanderbach Federation sent their champion here. A force like none other.

 

Although technically this planet is now under the jurisdiction of the Federation, laws have been heavily neglected, crime has increased. The Federation closed it's eyes on the planet, and the champion, who is a battle maniac, only sees value in the strong. The strong would gather at his coliseum and are granted special privileges if they prove themselves.

 

The weak… most end up like this village. It's seriously a huge downgrade. I envisioned this place as a mix between Wakanda, Egypt and space tech. 

 

What's worse, my Grand Palace was raided many times over until it eventually reached a state similar to ruins, according to the chief.

 

Everything else checks out. The currency is still Sol, but the poverty level is high. Taxes were raised, bandits are roaming… it's a miracle that places like this still survived.

 

Tsk. As for my palace… even if it became a ruin, the secret chamber should be intact. Alisha almost flipped the table when the village chief said that my palace was in ruin. After all, it was supposed to be my pride and joy. Not to mention our home. But I calmed her down. We don’t want to make a scene here. I then followed up with various other questions regarding the political and economical state of the planet.

Except for the new main capital city, basically everything else was mostly pushed back. To put it simply, a technological regress. Water and food has become the most important thing for people like these. And as long as the Champion lives up to the Federations’ tax prices, he’s basically free to rule the planet however he wants.

This sickens me. This was by no means the way I envisioned this place. I was very happy to hear useful information but at the same time I felt sad that this planet ended up like this.

 

The village chief who was poked with a tired face opened his mouth with a fearful atmosphere. I think I’ve been interrogating him for almost 2 hours.

 

“So, is there anything else?”

 

Hearing the village chief’s words, I looked at Alisha to check if there was any missing information we should ask. But it seems that was it. For now… I think I want a private talk with Alisha to review what we learned.


“That will be all. Would it be possible to have a private conversation with my subordinate?”

“Yes. I will wait outside. Feel free to call me when you finish.”

And with that, the chief left and we were finally left alone.

“Alright, Alisha. I want your opinion on this matter. What are your thoughts on everything we were told? And what do you believe is the course of action we should take?”

 

“You’re asking for my advice?”

“Are you complaining? I just want to hear your thought process. Of course, if I see any faults in it, I will point it out.”

“I understand, ojou-sama. Then I shall do my best to live up to your expectations, and sincerely give you my honest thoughts.”

Phew. Glad it worked like that. I’m actually not sure what I should do so getting some suggestions isn’t bad at this point.

84