Chapter 28 – Dining with the Royals
901 5 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                The great hall of Erevale’s castle was certainly a sight… Long tables stretched the length of the hall, one on the left, and another on the right – and at the end of the hall, a raised stage sat with yet another table, where the lords and ladies would sit and dine.  The other tables were for the guards and servants.  The walls were decorated with banners of a green and gold boar – the symbol of clan Dremora as the crimson and gold wolf was the symbol of clan MacTavish.  The room was lit by large chandeliers decorated with dozens of candles, and the room smelled of rich foods and savoury gravies and sauces, touched with a hint of spices.  A number of people had already gathered, and were sitting at the tables to the left and right, and a few of the royals had arrived and been seated at the high table – although it looked like only Prince William and his sister, Princess Morag had yet arrived. 

 

                Prince William was wearing luxurious fancy clothing – silk and velvet in rich green, gold and blue, and looked quite striking.  His sister, Princess Morag was equally striking with her flame red hair and her lavender dress with gold trim and golden buttons.  I suspected they had dressed up to both impress us with their wealth and power – and to show off a bit – but also to indicate that this was not a casual dinner – but rather a formal affair of state.  I felt glad Ser Eldergleam had made my clothes so fancy back in Ender’s Hollow, or I would feel very under-dressed at the moment.  Alyssa was wearing her church day best, but still looked like a servant compared to Rachel in her fancy gown from Ser Eldergleam.  Fionn was wearing comfortable clothes – but I guessed no one expected him to look like a lord, so he didn’t bother.  Prince Eacharn, of course, looked the role of a Prince of Callenden as well… His clothes were more lavish than mine by a fair bit – and it was obvious they were meant for infrequent use as formal wear, rather than everyday use.  Tika had some lovely clothes on too – fancy, but not lavish – and even she seemed to feel under-dressed and self conscious.

 

                I think I cut a handsome enough figure as we walked across the hall, towards the high table.  I was trying to look as regal as I could, and I hope I succeeded…  Prince William and Princess Morag certainly noticed us as our party approached.  We climbed up onto the stage from a short stair on the right of the room, and joined the two royals, who stood as we approached. 

 

                “Your Majesty, King Castiel, it is good to see you again.  I trust your rooms were sufficient?”  Prince William asked.

 

                “Yes, your majesty.  The rooms were wonderful, and more than adequate for our needs.”  I replied.  “Where would you like our party to sit?  I am new to such situations, and have yet to learn the protocols involved.”

 

                “Normally, You, Sir Fionn, and Prince Eacharn would dine with us, to discuss the matters of state and the situation in Callenden – but we honestly aren’t sure where the three ladies stand.  They are welcome to dine here with us, tonight.  We can sort out all the pomp and rank later – the fact that they travel with you, and are obviously your friends will be more than sufficient for this evening.”

 

                “Wonderful!  May I introduce my half-brother Prince Eacharn MacTavish, Sir Fionn Ballantine, a Vigilant of the Third Circle, Rachel Wilson of Earth, and Alyssa Seranel and Tika Calhoun, two sorceresses from Ender’s Hollow.  Together with Rachel’s aid, these three women are primarily responsible for our escape from Callenden… Without their aid, I suspect we would have been captured and killed.  They are close friends.”

 

                “Then they too, are welcome, your Majesty.”  Princess Morag replied.  “Be welcome and join us.  Dinner will be along shortly – and no one will start before mother and father arrive, at the very least.”

 

                “Thank you both very much.”  I replied, and motioned for my friends to sit.  I sat closer to the head of the table – with Prince Eacharn on my right, and then Sir Fionn.  The ladies were further down the table – and I didn’t know what to think about it, but Eacharn had arranged us that way – so I assumed it was for a reason – some order of precedence or political thing I didn’t know about yet.  God, I’m going to have to learn medieval politics.  Gah!

 

                “It’s an honor to meet you, Princess Morag.”  I said, trying to be polite.

 

                “And you as well, King Castiel.  How is it that we have never heard of you before today?  I have heard of Prince Eacharn, and of his family… How is it that you are king, and he is not?”

 

                “It’s a strange story.  You’ve heard of the tale of King Colin’s wayward bride?  Janet Fowler, who returned to earth where King Colin couldn’t follow?  It seems that when she left, she was carrying King Colin’s child – and I am her grandson, Jeffrey Castiel Fowler.  When the King and I met, it was like he knew who I was the moment he saw me.  I suspect he chose me partly for that reason – but I’m sure he had others as well.”

 

                “Indeed?”  Princess Morag remarked, with a raised eyebrow showing her interest.  “What is this other world like, King Castiel?”

 

                Before I could answer, more people entered the raised area of the stage… An older man and a woman, dressed in green and gold finery that put both mine, Eacharn’s and Prince William’s to shame, and two younger men and their wives (at least I assumed they were their wives) – who some of which were probably Prince Williams’ parents, and Princess Morag’s brothers.  This must be the King, Queen, and the Princes that Eacharn had informed me of.  We all stood out of respect as they arrived, and got seated.  The King took the chair at the end of the table – and the queen the chair beside him to his left.  His two sons took the right, next to me – and their wives sat across from them.  I slowly began to see the order of precedence… the kings two sons were his right hands – but their wives must be involved in the politics as well, or else they may have been relegated to sit elsewhere?  I wasn’t sure, but it seemed close enough.

 

                The older man looked at me, and started.  I wasn’t sure what it meant, but he took three strides towards me, and wrapped me in a bear hug, a single tear in his eye. 

 

“You are welcome here, boy.”  He said.  “I am King Conner of clan Dremora and I give you sanctuary and free passage through my kingdom.”

 

                “Thank you, your Majesty.” 

 

                He looked at me, up and down.  “You look like her – and your grandfather, too.  It’s easy to see – he must have seen it the moment he laid eyes on you.”

 

                “Aye, your Majesty, I believe he did.”  I said.

 

                “How did you come to be?” 

 

                “As I was telling your daughter, Princess Morag, my grandmother was carrying King Colin’s child when she left this realm and returned to Earth – and I am her grandson.”

 

                “You’ve grown strong, and fit.  You look good.  I was told by Serra Fowler a long time ago that many people on her world were not soldiers, nor fit to fight.  How is it that you are?”  He asked.

 

                “Sir Fionn,” I said, indicating my Vigilant friend, “Has been training me to be a Vigilant of the twins.  I recently completed my training, for the most part, and have just some minor paperwork to do at a temple before I qualify as a Vigilant of the Fifth circle.”

 

                “Indeed!  Well said, lad.”  King Connor replied.  “This is my wife, Queen Elissa Dremora, and my two sons, Prince William I , and Prince Lugh.  You’ve already met Willie’s son Bill, and our daughter, Princess Morag.  Let us sit, and introduce your companions to us all.”

 

                I nodded, and we all sat – and as we did, Eacharn subtly gave me the “thumbs up” sign, indicating I was doing well so far.

 

                “I am Jeffrey Castiel Fowler, heir to King Colin MacTavish of Callenden, and this is my half-brother Prince Eacharn, Prince Michael’s son and King Colin’s grandson.  The knight to Eacharn’s right is Sir Fionn Ballantine, a Vigilant of the Third circle, my teacher, and my friend, and the three ladies travelling with us are Rachel Wilson, of Earth – my oldest friend, and Alyssa Seranel and Tika Calhoun of Ender’s Hollow – a town in the northern parts of Callenden.  All three ladies are young sorceresses, and are good friends.  Serra’s Seranel and Calhoun are the first people Rachel and I met when we came to Mercia, and we have been friends ever since.”

 

                Sir Fionn nodded, pleased with how I had spoken.  I nodded back, and continued.  “Your Majesty…  I hate to ask, but is there reason to believe you and your sons might be willing or able to help me retake the throne my grandfather intended for me?  To help fight Prince Michael and his mother, Queen Hemlock?”

 

                “Lad – I mean no disrespect calling you lad, even though you will soon be a King – at my age the need for haste seems less and the need for discussion and forethought seems more needed.  I promised you safety – and you and your friends shall have it – but unless we can find a way to win this battle you propose, I will not throw away my kingdom because my friend Colin could not keep his.  Do not mistake my words!  Colin and I were the best of friends – inseparable for years – and I corresponded regularly with him until recently.  I was expecting Prince Eacharn – but I’m not surprised he chose you instead, Geoffrey.  You have a lot of his looks – and a lot of your grandmothers, too.  Gods but was that a long time ago!  If you are anything like your grandmother you will be a good leader of men, Geoffrey.  I simply mean to win – not lose my kingdom in a bid to save yours.  I will help in any way I can – but a vast number of details must be worked out in advance – and I hope to spend many of the coming days in discussion with you over just what those details entail.”

 

                “Thank you, your Majesty; that is most generous.  I will probably require Sir Fionn’s and Prince Eacharn’s guidance in these matters.”

 

                “Of course.  My sons, Prince William and Prince Lugh – as well as my wife Queen Elissa – will join our discussions.”

 

                “And am I to be left out of these discussions, father?”  Princess Morag asked.

 

                “I did not realize you wished to be part of them, my daughter.  If you feel you have something to add, you are most welcome.”

 

                Princess Morag looked a bit mollified, and nodded.  “I may.  I will speak with you later, father.”

 

                “Very well.”  The King turned from his daughter, who was watching me more than a little intently, and began to speak.  “Is there anything else of immediate concern we must discuss?  I’ve been rather hungry for a while and could eat an entire horse.  Not that I’d bloody well want to.”

 

                “I may need to speak with your Priests about my friends needs…  Their year and a day approaches, and I suspect the war for Callenden may not be finished by the day of their completion.  Do you have a priest or priestess that can perform the Twin Soul ceremony?”

 

                “Aye, we do – but you’ll have to work those details out with him.  He’s tending to some church matters at the moment.  Our High priest is Kendall Serano, and I’m sure he would be willing if you explain the situation to him.  If that’s all, lad, do you mind if we eat?  I have much to say about your grandfathers death – more than you might expect – and I would hear the story of his passing from your own lips as well.  Let us not spoil dinner with talk of murder and death – we can speak after we dine, and spare the others hearing of such things.”

 

                I looked at the others – and I realized King Connor made sense.  It had been a long day, and everyone was hungry.  Talking about my grandfather’s murder might put some off their food – and if he had something to say, it might be in my benefit to listen, instead of speak.  “All right, your Majesty.  Let’s continue after dinner, once our appetites are sated.  I’m sure your stables will rest easy knowing you’ve been well fed.”

 

                “Hahaha!  I like you, Geoffrey. You have a sense of humor!  I met your uncle once before and was thoroughly repulsed by him.  I think I already like you better!”  King Conner clapped, and servants began arriving with platters of food… trays of roasted pheasants and turkey, with tureens of rich gravies and savory stuffings, many platters of cooked vegetables, and some strange meat pies and jellied dishes I couldn’t identify. 

 

                “Thank you for your hospitality, King Connor.”  I replied.

 

                “You and your friends are very welcome, Geoffrey.  I have been expecting this day – albeit with minor differences – for far too long.  You are a welcome addition to the tale unfolding, lad.  Perhaps after we eat, you could tell us something of Earth?  I have heard many of the tales – but my sons and daughter have not, and it interests me.  Lady Fowler always did say that the magics of your world advanced quickly.   Did you know – Lady Fowler’s people managed to sail a ship to their moon and back!”

 

                “Aye, father, we’ve heard the tale.  Let’s eat while the food is warm, and we can talk more afterwards, as you said.”  Princess Morag chided her father. 

 

                “Indeed.  The cooks look to have outdone themselves tonight, my husband.”  Queen Elissa remarked.  “Let’s enjoy it, and speak after.”

 

                As servants began placing portions of food on our fine china plates, I couldn’t help but notice that Alyssa and Tika looked like they felt out of place and more than a  little uncomfortable – and Rachel looked a little lost.  To be honest, I felt more than a little lost as well, and felt very out of my depth with all this chatter.  Still, Prince Eacharn seemed pleased well enough, so I put my thoughts aside.

 

                The pheasant was pleasant, without any hint of gaminess and it was seasoned with salt, and some other spices I couldn’t identify, but liked a great deal.  The gravy was rich and tasty, and the stuffing excellent.  It seemed to be made of both bread and some kind of cooked nut – perhaps chestnuts, the way Tika was tucking into it.  The vegetables included parsnips, peas, asparagus and some things that looked suspiciously like potatoes or yams.  I couldn’t identify all of them, but the ones I tried were excellent – and the jellied dishes were interesting, but a little strange.  I can’t remember if I tried any of the meat pie – but from Prince William senior and Prince William junior’s reaction, it was one of their favorite dishes.  Queen Elissa preferred the Pheasant, as did her daughter - and the king sampled everything.  Our dinner was washed down with a lightly watered wine that was chilled and refreshing.  Afterwards, I couldn’t think of a more lavish meal.

 

                But dinner was not completely over – three courses of desert soon followed – a bread and fig pudding with icing, a bowl of fresh berries and cream, and a jelly that tasted like oranges and lemons, kind of like Jell-o back on Earth, followed.  It was all good, and by the end of dinner, I felt like I could barely move I was so stuffed… and the others on both sides of the table looked like they felt the same way.  I prayed to the gods that they didn’t eat this way every night, or else I’d need to be running around the city carrying ropes and boulders again, just to stay fit!

 

                As we sat and rested after dinner, the focus seemed to change from eating to discussion.  Prince Lugh lit up a pipe and was enjoying a smoke, as was King Connor, and everyone looked interested at the conversation to come, as the servants carried the dishes and trays of what food remained away.  Meanwhile, the servants and guards had been eating in the dining hall behind us – and on far less rich fare than what we had – but even they were filing out of the main hall, and leaving us all to talk.  Servants brought fresh wine and refilled our cups.

 

                “Well, you wished tales of Earth…  I suppose we have a few, right, Rachel?”  I began.

 

                “Um… yes, certainly, Milord.”  She said, a little surprised she was addressed.

 

                “Rachel, please – call me Cass.  I’m sure King Connor will forgive any informality between friends.”

 

                “Of course, Cass.  It’s just I’m not used to dining with so many prestigious people.  My apologies.”

 

                I nodded, looking sympathetic at her.  I didn’t feel comfortable in this situation any more than she did.  “I’m not sure where to begin.”  I said to King Connor and the others.  “We have artifices like wagons or coaches that don’t need horses to move.  They used to use a type of oil we cal gasoline to power them, but lately people have been switching to vehicles that use electricity – chained lightning – instead of oil, to help reduce pollution and make the world cleaner.  With so many vehicles burning oil, the air in many places was becoming a choking fog and these new vehicles are making it better.”

 

                “Is it true that they have flying machines, like Madragoor’s skyships, that can carry people over the oceans?”  Princess Morag asked.

 

                “Yes, Princess.  We call them airplanes, and they travel as fast as thunder in a storm.  To cross a vast ocean would take maybe three or four hours – the same to cross an entire continent.  The planes can carry hundreds of people too, but they have to be built very carefully, and are expensive to maintain.  If they aren’t, the vehicles can have accidents, and crash – usually killing everyone on board.  We have entire government agencies or ministries dedicated to making Air travel safe and convenient – and to make sure accidents don’t happen.”

 

                “Indeed.  Lady Fowler told me about these Airplanes, although it sounds as if they have gotten faster since her time here.”  King Conner said.

 

                “Yes, your Majesty.  Everything has gotten faster – from food preparation to travel to pretty much everything.  There is a world-wide information network – connected by things called computers – but might be more easily understood as crystal balls, all linked in a network, so that you can search for knowledge on virtually any subject and have the information at your fingertips in an instant, and can view plays or even wars from other countries as they are happening in real time… or they can be recorded, so that you can watch them when its convenient.”

 

                “That’s incredible!”  Prince Lugh remarked.  “Do the common folk have access to these devices?  What do they use it for?”

 

                “Well, Prince Lugh, almost everyone has access to these devices…  You could buy a simple device to connect to the internet for maybe two gold coins – although it is a matter of getting what you pay for – and a very good device to contact the internet might cost up to one hundred gold – so the very very poor didn’t always have access.”

 

                “Indeed!  Amazing…  But what do people use it for, if they are not scholars?”

 

                “May I?”  Rachel interjected.

 

                “Of course, Lady Wilson.”  Queen Elissa replied. 

 

                “Some of our worlds children used it to learn subjects such as languages, history and mathematics, and our adults used it to facilitate business and commerce.  Our warriors used it to facilitate logistics and the movement of troops – and even to target some weapons capable of destroying entire cities in one attack.  Our scientists and scholars used it to accelerate their knowledge of science and lore – to the point where we were beginning to understand how to travel to other universes, or communicate through space with other places.  It was so arcane that most citizens had no idea what the scholars were learning – it was like magic to them.  A lot of the common folk used it for entertainment, and sent pictures of pets – like cats and dogs – to their friends, watched plays and listened to symphonies, and watched pornography.  There was a lot of pornography on the internet too.”

 

                “Hah!  So your people are much like our own, they just have different tools.  They have a device capable of this much power and they choose to use it to look at tits.”  Prince Lugh laughed.

 

                “And male bits as well, Prince Lugh – it was not just women who were objectified.  Our worst criminals used it to share images of children – and when they were caught, they were punished harshly.”

 

                “Ewww…  No one should act in such a way with a child.”  Princess Morag replied.  “They were punished?”

 

                “Yes,” Rachel began, “But probably not as harshly as they would have been here.  Our world has a very different approach to justice and law than Mercia.  You would probably think our laws encourage chaos and disorder, while people from our world might call your laws barbaric and violent.  I think that Jeffrey and I chose to accept that Mercia has a different way of doing things, and that we would respect that – we don’t intend to try and change Mercia to be a copy of Earth, and we don’t intend to judge how others do things when we don’t fully understand why or how they were made that way.”

 

                “Exactly.”  I replied.  “The people of Ghaleorn have their customs and traditions – and we don’t mean to change them until we understand why they’re there – and even then, this is Mercia, not Earth.  Our customs may not work here.  Frankly, I like Mercia better, and both Rachel and I have decided to live here the rest of our days, and not return to Earth.”

 

                “Do you not miss your parents?  Your family?”  Queen Elissa asked.

 

                “Yes, I do – but I believe they would want me to be happy – and here, I am happy.  I have found purpose.  I have found a cause, and I have found friends and more.  Back on Earth I was listless and aimless.  I am better here.”  I replied.

 

                “My parents were harsh and cruel.”  Rachel began.  “I don’t miss them at all, and if I never go back, it will be too soon.  Instead, I have gained a family of chosen friends, in Alyssa and Tika, in Castiel and Sir Fionn.  They are my family now, and I will protect them with my life.”

 

                “Well said, Lady Wilson.”  Queen Elissa replied.  “Thank you.”

 

                “Well, Castiel.”  King Connor began.  “Perhaps it is time I told you of what King Colin and I spoke of – and you tell me of your meeting with him, and how it led to his death and your arrival here.”

 

                “Very well, your Majesty.  I’ll begin with our arrival at Callenden.  I decided to visit Callenden because I felt that Grandfather would want to know that he and Lady Fowler – my grandmother – had had a child together, and that I was the fruit of that relationship.  I wanted to meet him, and learn why he left her standing at the altar – and I wanted to give him a personal letter I found in my grandmothers belongings addressed to him, which I found after she died.  I think she would have wanted me to be the one to deliver it to him, so I did.  I went to tell him she never stopped loving him her entire life, so that he would know, before the gods took him.”

 

                “When we arrived, it was plain to see that people noticed my appearance – and when I presented myself to Queen Hemlock and Prince Michael, they were both annoyed and incensed, like my arrival could be compared to stepping in something messy and unpleasant.  Prince Eacharn offered to show me to the King, and they acquiesced.  When I met my grandfather, I was surprised by his health – he seemed far more able than rumors had allowed for.  He was mentally sharp – and we had a long candid talk about him, myself, Lady Fowler, and how all of that played out.  I gave him the letter from my grandmother, and after he read it, he cried, and then things got very tense, very quickly.”

 

                “He told me that Queen Hemlock and Prince Michael would use my arrival to execute him, frame me for his murder, and then seize the throne for themselves.  He gave me the royal seal and declared me his heir – and then gave me some heirlooms to watch over until it was time to reveal them.  He urged me to escape via a secret passage – and to take Prince Eacharn with me, and so I did – and all of us fled the city, which led to a confrontation by the western gate of the city, where my friends destroyed the city gates with magic – but which led to Tika being impaled by a crossbow bolt, and Rachel and Sir Fionn being injured.  Sir Fionn and I healed the wounds – and saved Tika – and then journeyed here to find succor.  The city bells were ringing the King’s death as we fled – I don’t know how he died.  His last words to me were to save his kingdom if I thought it worth saving, and to be a better king than he had been.  And then those bastards took him from me – from Eacharn as well.  I will never forgive them for that.”

 

                “Well, Castiel, then you only know part of the story.  Let me tell you my part.”  King Connor began.  “King Colin and I have been in communication with each other under various pen names for the last two years – and longer, if you count the long years of friendship between us.  He knew his wife the queen intended to remove him at her earliest convenience and place their son on the throne – and it was only his subterfuge of pretending to have no desire to rule that kept him alive.  You see, he learned shortly after getting Queen Hemlock pregnant that agents from Clan Glairmorgan arranged for him to be delayed long enough that his love, Lady Fowler, returned to Earth.  It was part of a plot to infiltrate Lady Hemlock as queen of Callenden – for the eventual purpose of taking the kingdom, and then joining with Clan Glairmorgan to try and take all of Ghaelorn for themselves.  She seeks hegemony over these lands, and your grandfather did not intend to allow her to succeed.  He told me – and I told my son Roderic, who is king of Clan MacDuirmidh along with his wife Maeve.  Their lands lie just north of mine, and west and north of yours, Castiel.  We’ve known of this snake in the grass for some time, and have been secretly preparing for war.   King Colin told me his eldest friend and advisor, the Seneschal Alistair the Wise was his confidante – and he told me Prince Eacharn was his chosen heir, barring some form of miracle.  Apparently Alistair knows of the kings subterfuges, and helped him in setting them up – and has been making arrangements for this very day.  You may have more allies than you think, Lad.”

 

                “That’s very good to hear, your Majesty.”  I replied. 

 

                “It is. Roderic and William and I have been planning for this day for over a year.  Within a month – possibly less – we can have a large number of troops ready to aid you.  But nothing is for free, Lord Castiel.  My men will pay the price for regaining Callenden with blood and tears, and my people will pay with their sons and daughters lives.  We will need concessions from you to help repay us for this favor – oh, some of this favor is to your Grandfather, my friend, but I still think we can make some accommodations that are mutually beneficial for all of us.  We’ll talk about the details later, but I think you’ll find my requests are fair.  Let us talk of some other things, Castiel, at least for a moment.”

 

                “All right, your Majesty.  I expected your aid to have a price – I’m not so foolish to think you would risk your home and family, your land and livelihood for a stranger all based on nothing but past friendship.  I’m sure we can come to an arrangement that will satisfy us both.”

 

                “Good, then let us talk about the realities… the grim, unreasonable truth.  You may not know this, but King Colin revealed to me that Queen Hemlock is a sorceress of terrible might – who has mastered many words and has abilities beyond any she has shown, or any others have suspected of her.  He believes her to be capable of casting magics not seen since the Age of Legends, and has seen enough that if the Queen knew, he would have been slain years ago.  She is a flesh-shaper of terrible power, and has used her powers in awful and terrible ways on those who would oppose her – and your grandfather suspected she was far older than her physical age belied – maybe several lifetimes older.  She is cunning and deadly – like a cobra.  It will take more than soldiers to defeat her in battle, should she take the field.”

 

                “The next problem is thus… Prince Michael has been building up troops for some time – ostensibly to deal with banditry from the east – but these troops could easily be put to use against our forces.  He has a large number of men, and could raise more with a militia or peasant levies.  He will be a challenge to defeat – but one I think is possible.  His men, as far as I have been informed, are only as loyal as the gold and silver he pays them… He is a cruel leader who blames others for his faults, and he has earned this reputation by punishing others for his failures… Morale in his army is not good – and if it could be proven that you are King Colin’s chosen heir – and rightful heir by blood – some of his army may desert or even join us against him, aiding the man they perceive as their real king.  You, Castiel.”

 

                “You see, if we can present you as the legitimate heir, and give them good reason to believe you are the better man to serve, then I’m thinking he may see a large number of defections in his troops – if some of them don’t outright assassinate him and attempt to seize the palace on your behalf.  That will not be the problem – and neither will battling his troops be the problem.  Even if we are outnumbered – which may not be the case, given our preparations over the last year, he’s a piss poor tactician and every failure will be blamed on the competent officers, which will further erode their loyalty.  What we must plan for is what comes after.”

 

                “What do you mean, your Majesty?”  I asked.

 

                “What he means, lad,” Sir Fionn began, “… is what in the seven hells do we do about Queen Hemlock once she realizes her son is dead.  If she is as powerful as King Connor suggests, we may not even be able to approach her without being transformed into something monstrous, or just slain outright.  Flesh shapers have body magic trained to an extreme level – she could stop our hearts – or cause them to explode in our chests – with a single spell.  She could transform a dozen men into beasts.  She could take any loyal soldiers left to her and change them into giants or monsters or unstoppable behemoths, and change them back only once we’re all dead and trampled into jelly.”

 

                “Is she truly that powerful?” I asked.  “Or is this the worst case scenario?”

 

                “We have to assume it’s the worst possible case.”  Prince William replied.  “Anything less would be folly on our part.  She might be able to slay dozens – or worse, transform them into monsters.  How will we help these men and women?  Hell, they may be us… I have no wish to live as a monster, and I think neither do you or your friends.  We need a plan that will let us defeat her – or at least protect us from her evil sorcery until we can cause her to flee or better yet, slay her.”

 

                “I know where some herbs that inhibit spellcasting ability grow.”  Alyssa piped up.  “If I could use those herbs to fashion a potion, and we could drug her with it – or tip some darts or arrows with it and shoot her with one – it could seriously affect her ability to use what powers she possesses.”

 

                “Are you referring to Audorin root, young lady?”  Queen Elissa asked.

 

                “Yes, your Majesty, but there are other herbs as well.  Some of them grow outside Ender’s Hollow, and some of them grow on the mountain where I first met Rachel and Geoffrey – I mean Cass.  I have no idea where they grow here, in Erevale, though.  We need Bitter Krovas leaf, and Hankle root.”

 

                “I do.”  Princess Morag called out.  “I spend a lot of time roaming the fields and woods of our realm.  I know where to find them, although it may take some time to gather them.  They don’t grow in the same terrain.”

 

                “Aye!  Audorin root prefers wet and marshy areas, and Bitter Krovas leaf prefers dry and warm – like the crest of a hill.  Hankle root is the hardest to find – it grows in dimly lit, moist areas.”

 

                “Like caves.”  Princess Morag replied.

 

                “Aye, like caves.  Exactly.”  Alyssa agreed.

 

                “Which means dealing with whatever lives in said caves.”  The princess remarked.  “Which may be nothing, or may be something.”

 

                “Yes, I suppose it does.”  Alyssa replied.  “But that is where it grows – and if we require it, we will have to face what lies within.”

 

                “I’ll help!”  Tika said.  “I can help preserve and increase their efficiency with my plant magic!  I might even be able to track them down! Yup yup!”

 

                “We’ll leave planning an expedition to another day.”  King Connor replied.  “But it is an excellent suggestion – taking Queen Hemlock’s magic out of the equation might be the only edge we need to make this work.  I will discuss other ideas with Castiel and the others tomorrow as well.  Do you begin to understand the magnitude of what we must do to make this work, Castiel?  Facing the army of Callenden will be the least of our worries.  Tell me, Sir Ballantine, are you capable of severing evil magic, and cutting through enchantments?”

 

                “Aye, but transformations are not the same.  I may be able to end an enchantment upon a single person – but it takes time, and I suspect I would be a prime target – one of the first to be slain – and that power is beyond Geoffrey at the moment.  I could end her magical protections if I could get close enough – but with my armor and my years, I’m afraid I’m not built for stealth.  She would see or hear me coming – and I would die.”

 

                Young Prince William spoke up – the first time he had spoken that evening at the table.  “Couldn’t we ask the dwarves from Kharn, at the Halls of Fire, for aid?  They have many enchantments and cunning spells – perhaps they could fashion a charm or other device that will protect one or more of our champions from her flesh-shaping magic?  Or perhaps even aid us with troops, or weapons and armor as well.  I’m aware that none of this would be freely offered – but it is something we should consider, right?”

 

                “You speak like someone with twice your age and wisdom, Bill.”  King Connor replied.  “We should definitely talk about your idea as well.”

 

                “How long will it take to inform your son Roderic about this development, your Majesty?”  Prince Eacharn asked.

 

                “Less than a week.  I’ve already sent riders to inform him of the new situation.  His instructions are to gather his men and ride for Erevale – so if he does, he should be here in a few weeks, perhaps less.  During that time, Willy will be raising our troops, and Lugh will be organizing the many things we’ll need – armor, weapons, food, shelter – everything an army needs to travel, and everything they need to carry it with them – such as the supply trains.”

 

                “If I may, your Majesty, I would like to aid Prince Lugh.”  Prince Eacharn suggested.  “I have an analytical mind and might be of help.”

 

                “Excellent – then we have the rough outline of a plan.  Lord Castiel, I ask that we meet tomorrow after breakfast to discuss the next steps – and to plan what options we should take, and which we should ignore.  Is that well and good for you?”

 

                “Aye, and thank you, your Majesty.  My friends and I will be ever grateful for your aid.”  I replied.

 

                “Well then, perhaps we should retire for the evening.  Although it is some hours before I suspect we’ll be taking to our beds, I suspect all of us have things we wish to discuss amongst one another.  The rest of the planning can wait for other days.”  King Connor replied.  “There is one thing, Lord Castiel, Prince Eacharn…  You both have my condolences.  Colin was a good man, and a better friend.  He deserved better than to die at the hands of his snake of a wife or his thug of a son.  He wrote that you were the son of his heart, Eacharn.  I think he would want you to know that.”

 

                Eacharn sniffed a tear away, and nodded.  “Thank you for that, your Majesty.”

 

                “Tis true.  I suspect he felt the same about you, Castiel – else he wouldn’t have chosen you to be his heir.  I’m sorry he was taken from you before you really had a chance to know him.”

 

                “I am too.  Thank you, your Majesty.”

 

                “You’re welcome, lad.  Good night.”

 

                With that, dinner and the discussion seemed to be over – King Connor and Queen Elissa stood, and left the table, followed by Prince William I and his wife, and Prince Lugh and his wife.  Eventually, only Prince William II and Princess Morag – and ourselves - were left. 

 

                “You’re planning on shooting that evil bitch full of holes, aren’t you, sister?”  Prince William asked.

 

                “Maybe.  Are you going to tattle to father - or worse – mother?”  Princess Morag asked back.

 

                “Nope.  I heard nothing.  I saw nothing.  You know, like usual.  I could hardly tattle on my favorite auntie.”  Prince William said, smiling.  “Besides, you’re the best shot with a bow in the kingdom.  If she can be killed or bled, you’ll do one of them – and if we can add Alyssa’s potion to your arrows, we might be able to take her out while literally firing only one shot.  It’s worth a try.”

 

                “Thanks, little nephew.”

 

                “Anytime.”  Prince William turned to us.  “Would you like me to escort you all back to your rooms?  I know the palace can be a bit of a maze at times.”

 

                “Yes please.”  I answered.  “Good evening, Princess.”

 

                “Good evening to you as well, your Majesty.”  She replied… a strange look on her face.  To be honest, it worried me – I felt very much like a rabbit being watched by a hunting hawk.

               

                We took our leave, and Prince William helped us back to our rooms.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                “I think that went better than well.”  Prince Eacharn began.  “I think you all handled yourselves well.  We may actually have a real chance at success here.  I’m afraid King Connor might be over-exaggerating my mother’s powers – but if he is not, well, it wouldn’t be the first time I’d been fooled by her, and I suspect it won’t be the last.”

 

                “Aye,”  Sir Fionn replied.  “You handled yourself well, Cass.  You too, Alyssa, Rachel.  I think tonight was a success.”

 

                “Then why do I feel so damn shaky?”  Alyssa asked quietly.  “I felt very out of place.”

 

                “You were very brave.”  Eacharn said, taking Alyssa’s hand in his.  “You did well, Alyssa.  Your parents would be proud.”  Alyssa didn’t answer, but she did blush and squeeze Eacharn’s hand.

 

                “Thank you for remembering us and the Twin soul ceremony, Cass.”  Rachel said.

 

                “How could I forget, Rache?  I’m not so wrapped up in family drama that I would forget you, or Alyssa.  Never!”

 

                “I’m glad.”  Rachel replied, looking pleased. 

 

                Sir Fionn took note of the situation, and cleared his throat.  “Lad, I’m heading to my room to rest.  Follow whenever you wish – it need not be soon.”

 

                “Thank you, Fionn.  I’ll join you in a while.”

 

                “Very well, milord.” He replied, and headed off towards our chambers.

 

                “Rachel, would you like to sit and talk somewhere?”  I asked.

 

                “No… But I can’t do what I really want, so talking sounds good.  Why don’t we go find a sitting room and talk privately?”

 

                “Sure.”

 

                “Would you like to walk for a while in the gardens, Alyssa?”  Eacharn asked quietly.

 

                “Are you sure, milord?”

 

                “Aye.  It’s just talk.  I thought you might like to chat privately.  If I’m wrong, I apologize.”

 

                “No…no!  It’s fine.  I guess I was just being self conscious.”  Alyssa replied.

 

                “Then if it’s all right with you, milady, I’ll see you outside in a few moments.”  Eacharn turned to me and nodded.  “I’ll bring her back safely, Milord.  Have no fear.”

 

                “I have none, Eacharn. I’m sure Alyssa is safe in your presence.  We’ll see you in a while.” 

 

                And with that, Eacharn followed Alyssa out into the gardens – and I followed Rachel to a quiet sitting room.  It seemed the night was still some ways from being over…

 

                After everyone left, Tika was left standing on a small settee, all alone.  “What?  Am I invisible?” she muttered.  “I guess they’re going off to talk… or maybe more than talk.  Maybe I should keep an eye on them?”  Tika scampered off to follow Eacharn and Alyssa into the garden, keeping her distance and sneaking… no one was going to see her, after all – she was tiny, and foliage was her home turf.  Everything would be fine.  Tika was sure of it.

 

 

32