Chapter 25 – Escape!
687 3 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Our flight through the city of Callenden was swift, and for the most part unseen.  Although there were many people about – it was in the middle of the day after all – most were talking to their fellows or passersby about the bells that heralded the death of King Colin… I even heard some folks hail King Michael, which made me growl quietly in anger.  Tika was scared – she was whimpering on Alyssa’s shoulder, clutching her brown hair like a lifeline, and Rachel and Alyssa looked nervous too.  Sir Fionn had gone up ahead to make sure the path was clear – and I was bringing up the rear to make sure no one got left behind.

 

                Swiftly but carefully we made our way through the streets, taking the less travelled paths where fewer faces would see us.  It took a bit longer, but it was obvious Fionn felt it was safer, and I trusted him.  Soon, maybe twenty minutes from the time we left the inn of the Spotted Toad, we came to the small square where the statue of Lord Feryn Shieldstrike sat on display.  Fionn motioned us over to a stable, and ushered us inside.  There was no sign of Prince Eacharn about – so we had no choice but to wait.

 

                As we huddled in the stable, Tika was so nervous I could see tears of fear running down her face, and she was holding her hands over her mouth, so that we wouldn’t hear her whimper. 

 

                “It’s going to be okay, Tika.  I promise.”  I said gently, and stroked the tears from her little face.  “No one’s going to hurt you.”

 

                “I…I’m not worried about me, Cass!  I’m worried about you!  I don’t want them to hurt you!”  She whimpered.

 

                Alyssa looked pale and drawn, and nodded.  “I’m worried too, Cass.  The sooner we’re out of this city, the better.”

 

                Fionn crouched down, and looked at the girls.  “Ladies, I promise you, no one is going to hurt the lad unless they go through me first, and I am exceedingly stubborn.”

 

                Alyssa and Tika nodded, and Rachel looked encouraged, if not happy.  To be honest, I felt a bit encouraged too.

 

                “Like I said, we’re going to be okay.”  I reiterated.  “As long as Prince Eacharn get’s here with the coach and horses soon.”

 

                We waited quietly – and several minutes passed… It had been almost forty minutes since we left the Spotted Toad, and almost an hour since Prince Eacharn left us to gather a coach…  What was taking so long?!   The statue of Lord Feryn Sheildstrike seemed to have a mocking face, his raised left foot on the head of a large humanoid – maybe a giant?  He looked like a smarmy Captain Morgan, and in that moment, it seemed as if the statue was making fun of me with his annoying smirk – as if me and my friends hiding in a stable was a big joke.  I growled in frustration, and turned away from the statue.  I felt so damn helpless!

 

                Just as I was starting to get very worried, there was a clatter in the street, and I saw a large coach – a vehicle that looked a lot like a stagecoach from the old west – commanded by a driver cloaked in dark clothes, drive up and park near the statue of lord smarmy mouth.  The driver looked around nervously.

 

                “What’s going on?”  Fionn asked.

 

                “I think our ride is here.”  I replied.

 

                “Hold here, with the girls.  I’ll go check.”

 

                I nodded, and Fionn left the stable and approached the coach… I could hear low words exchanged – and then Fionn waved us over. 

 

                “Ladies, our carriage awaits.  Prince Eacharn has arrived.”

 

                “Oh thank the gods!” Alyssa exclaimed.  Tika squeaked with joy.

 

                “Let’s go, Cass.”  Rachel whispered.  “We need to get you out of the city, and soon.”

 

                “Agreed.”  I replied, and ushered the ladies out onto the street…  Rachel and Alyssa (who was carrying Tika) rushed from the stable to the coach, and I followed, keeping the hood of my cloak up and my face concealed.  Sir Fionn waited until I entered the coach, and Prince Eacharn joined us inside – while Sir Fionn took the reins and took over as our driver. 

 

                I sat down on a bench, across from Alyssa and Tika – who were sitting next to Rachel…  Prince Eacharn sat next to me.

 

                “Sorry I can’t remain as your driver.”  Eacharn began.  “But the gate guards know my face – and if I’m seen leaving the city with strangers they’ll try and bring me back to my father.”

 

                “Then maybe we should pull these drapes closed to conceal our faces from passers-by?”  Alyssa suggested, closing the drapes nearest her – while Rachel did the same on the other side of the coach.

 

                “Good idea, Serra Seranel.”  Eacharn smiled.  “Insightful as well as talented.”

 

                Alyssa gave Eacharn a strange look, but also a small smile, and nodded. 

 

                “It’s less than fifteen minutes to the western gates.  If they aren’t closed, we should be able to leave Callenden behind with ease.”  Eacharn said.

 

                “And if the gates are closed?”  I asked.

 

                “It may be a bit more difficult to leave, perhaps.”

 

                “I see.”  I said, grimly.  I had no wish to fight my way out and slay loyal soldiers of Callenden, but I wasn’t about to let myself be caught and hung for a traitor, either.

 

                I sat, and stewed while we drove closer and closer to the gates, wondering if we were going to have to fight for our lives.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                “What’s going on?  It’s taking too long!”  I groused from my throne.

 

                “Well, Michael, you could try going to look for yourself, instead of relying on your minions, dear.”  Queen Hemlock sniped.  “No one is stopping you.  Or is it that you’re afraid of an old man?”

 

                “I’m not afraid!  I just want this done!  It’s not like you don’t hate him, too!”  I spat.

 

                “I didn’t always… If he could have tried to love me, like he loved her.”  Queen Hemlock looked bitter, and more than a bit vindictive.  “And now that bitch sends us her grandson to torment me!”

 

                “A little late for sentimentalism, isn’t it, mother?”

 

                “Aye, and a little late for doing what I should have done years ago, while you were still a child.”

 

                “Well, if wishes were fishes, we’d all be well fed.”  I joked, mockingly.

 

                “If you were any more well fed, my son, you’d need a new set of armor.” 

 

                “Take care, mother!  I will be King in a few short hours!”  I replied angrily, standing up in an intimidating pose.

 

                “Yes, yes, I know.  Because I arranged for it to happen.  You would never have raised a blade against your father, and you know it.”  Lady Hemlock replied dismissively.  “You would have waited for him to die – perhaps in another ten years – and then been King for all of ten more before age took you.”

 

                I growled, and clenched my hands furiously, and knew I looked angry… but I didn’t raise my hand against her.  She was right, dammit!  Why take a risk, when time will simply do the work for you?  After all, I am already king in every way except for wearing the actual crown… why take the risk?

 

                I knew why… Mother desired to complete her plan – uniting all of Ghaelorn under the banner of Clan Glaimorgan – with her bloodline as the rulers of Ghaleorn.  Her dream of power, not mine!  It was always about her, and what she wanted… No one gave a shit about what I wanted!

 

                I stared at my mother for a moment, growling, and sighed.  “I’ll go find out what’s taking Sir Kennit and Sir Lascarl so damn long – and they better have a good explanation!”

 

                “Of course, dear.  I’ll see you soon.”

 

                I stormed from the room, fuming.  A coterie of four guards formed up on me, and followed, and together we headed towards the King’s chambers. 

 

                Inside the king’s chambers, the scene was a bloodbath – the King lay dead in a pool of blood, next to Sir Kennit and Sir Lascarl, who also lay in pools of their own blood. 

 

                “Damn!  One of you, fetch the healer – maybe Morven can save one of them.”  A guard nodded, and ran off.

 

                “Where has the young man gone?  The other grandson?”  One of the guard asked, looking about.

 

                “Obviously, he’s murdered the King and my two most loyal knights!  Seal the castle and start a search!  I will wait to see if Morven can save my father!”

 

                I rushed to my fathers’ side as the last two guards ran to raise the alarum.  Where was my brat of a useless son?  I understand the whelp running, and his friends – but where is Eacharn?  Pfah!  What a useless twit.  I’ll find him later.  I reached down to take the Royal Seal from my fathers’ hand – and it wasn’t there…  What the fuck!  Where was it?!  I searched him twice, and found nothing.  “Grrraaagghh” I screamed in rage.  He must have given it to Lady Fowler’s whelp!  I looked down at my father’s corpse, and grinned.  “Looks like he forgot something important.”  I said, pulling the royal circlet – my father’s crown – from his head.  “This is mine now, old man.”

 

                Morven Highfallow, the castle’s healer, arrived with two of my guards in tow.  “Oh my gods!  Is the king….?”            

 

                “Dead… No doubt by the hand of that blackguard, Geoffrey Fowler.”

 

                “Of… Of course, your Majesty.”  She said quietly.  She took a moment, and looked at Sir Kennit and Sir Lascarl – and much to her surprise, both were alive, but very near death.  “I can save them, your Majesty.  I think I can, but it will be very close.”  She concentrated, and the blue white glow of her magic enveloped her hands, and she touched Sir Lascarl, who spasmed at her touch, and then gasped for air as the wound sapping his lifesblood was sealed.  She went to tend Sir Kennit – but he was already gone.

 

                “Take Sir Lascarl to the healing hall, now.”  She said to the guards, and turned to Prince Michael, wiping the blood from her hands with a rag.  “I’m sorry, Prince Michael.  Sir Kennit was dead by the time I got here.”

 

                “Well, perhaps you will answer my summons faster next time, Morwen.  Your laggardness may have cost me one of my finest knights.  Go save the other if you can.”

 

                Morwen looked down – and curtsied.  “Yes, Milord.”  And left the room. 

 

                At last the old fool was dead!  I thought.  Now is my turn to be king!  I’ll be a good king – a strong king!  Better than my father ever was!  I put the circlet on my head… it fit like a glove.  I took it as a sign, and went to find Mother.  At least something good came of today.  Heh… I thought her head was going to explode when that brat announced himself as the grandson of her nemesis. Too bad we have to find him and kill him.  He might have been useful – and now he most likely has the royal seal and signet, and he might have other things as well.  My mood soured.  It reminded me that my father would rather make a stranger his heir, than his own flesh and blood.   “To the seven hells with him.  I’m king now.” 

 

                 It was time to find the bastard and hunt him down… For the safety of my kingdom.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Seneschal Alistair, also known as Alistair the Wise, left the king’s chambers via a hidden passage, carrying the King’s letter, stating his grandson Sir Geoffrey Castiel Fowler was his chosen heir.  The capital would be unsafe for him now, he realized.  It was time to leave Callenden, and begin to find allies, and the young heir. 

 

                He too knew the secret ways to come and go in the castle, and leaving the palace was relatively easy – but he knew getting out of the city may prove harder.  Still, he knew he could do it – it was only a matter of applied intelligence.  Dremora was where the boy had gone, so it was to Dremora that he would go. 

 

                If only the boy got out of the city alive…

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Our carriage slowed, and came to a stop.  Sir Fionn called down in a whisper.  “There’s a problem, Milords.  The city gate is closed.”

 

                “Not good.”  Muttered Eacharn.  “The other gates will be closed by the time we get to them, too.”

 

                “Staying in the city is suicide.”  I replied quietly.  “Ladies, do you have any suggestions?”

 

                “I haven’t the strength to do much, Cass, except maybe blind a few guards with a flash of light.  I think I can do that much.”  Alyssa replied.

 

                “What about you, Rachel?  Tika?”

 

                “Ummm… is the gate made of wood?” 

 

                Sir Fionn looked, and nodded.  “Aye, little one.  Thick wood, but wood.”

 

                “I can weaken the gate, maybe even rip it open.”  Tika suggested

 

                “If you can weaken it, Tika, I might be able to push it open – and if not, I can shield us from arrows while the others do.”

 

                “That sounds like a plan.  Are you sure it won’t hurt you?”  I asked.

 

                “No.”  Tika and Rachel replied at once.

 

                “It might hurt us – but if we stay, you’re going to be killed.”  Rachel whispered.  “I’m doing this.”

 

                “M…me too!”  Tika said proudly.  “We’re getting you out of here.  You’re the king now!  We have to!”

 

                “I guess I am, at least in name, if not in fact.  Okay, Tika, Rachel, we’ll try it your way.  Alyssa, if you can, blind the guards as we get closer.  Fionn – I want you to charge the gate.  Tika and Rachel will make sure it isn’t a problem.  Don’t stop unless you’ll kill the horses.  If this works, we may very well get out of here unscathed.”

 

                “I value your optimism, Milord.”  Sir Fionn grinned.  “At least the queen doesn’t know we have three sorceresses with us.”

 

                “Aye,” I said grinning.  “And I am very proud of them for helping.”  I looked up at Fionn.  “Still have your crossbow?”

 

                “Good.  Load it – we may need it.”

 

                “Aye. As you say.”  Fionn took a moment and loaded his crossbow with a ‘clack’, and drew the bolt back ready to fire. 

 

                “Tika,” I asked.  “Are you ready to break the door?  If it’s not destroyed, we’ll end up charging into it and be in a very dangerous situation.”

 

                “I think so, Cass… I mean, Milord.”  She said quietly.

 

                “Please, Tika… We’re friends.  Call me Cass unless we’re in public, okay?  That goes for you, Rachel, and Alyssa too.”

 

                “As you wish, Milord.”  Alyssa replied with a smirk.

 

                I thought about saying something, then sighed.  “Never change, Alyssa.  Rachel, are you ready?”

 

                “Yeah, I think so Cass.  If Tika can weaken the gate, I can push it open – and I can try and block any arrows with a force field if I have to.”

 

                “If you can’t concentrate on both at the same time, make sure the gate gets opened.”

 

                “You got it, Cass.”  She said, smiling. 

 

                I called out to Fionn.  “We’re ready.  Let’s do this.”

 

                “If the gate stays shut, lad, we’ll need to kill all the guards and force the gates by hand.  Be prepared, if we have to do so.”

 

                “I will – but I don’t want to harm any of the guards if we don’t have to.  They’re loyal servants of Callenden – they don’t deserve to be slaughtered if we can help it.”

 

                “Mercy is a virtue, and I applaud you for it lad, but we may have to kill some of them.”  Fionn said grimly.

 

                “I know, Fionn.  I know.”  I didn’t like it, but Fionn was right.  I couldn’t risk being caught in the city – and if I had to kill some men to escape and retake the throne later, then so be it.  I would honor their memory, if nothing else.  “Let’s go.”

 

                “Aye.” 

 

Fionn flicked the reins, and the horses started to canter, and then the speed of the coach grew as the horses began their charge.

 

                “Tika, up with Fionn.”  I said, motioning to the little window separating the coach from where Fionn, our coachman sat. 

 

                “Yup, yup!” She said, clambering up Alyssa’s shoulder to reach the window.  “Is it wrong to be scared?” She asked.

 

                “No, Tika.”  I said.  “I’m scared too.  Now go – get that gate open!  Our lives depend on it!”

 

                “Gulp!”  Tika climbed out onto the seat of the charging coach, and I heard the clack of crossbows firing. 

 

“Rachel – Shields!”  I called, drawing my pistol in case I needed to shoot someone.

 

“On it, Cass!”  Rachel stuck her head out the window – probably to get a better view – and gave Eacharn and I a display of her derriere.  He smirked, and said nothing.  I gave him a look, and he nodded, and looked away.

 

I could see Tika staring at the gate, and she looked worried!  I watched her as she concentrated as hard as she could, summoning energy as the carriage barreled forward at a breakneck pace.  Beside her, Sir Fionn had the reins in one hand, and the loaded crossbow in the other – and was yelling for the men to make way!

 

Tika muttered some words, and pointed – with a spell this big, she would need the extra focus elements – and a whirling storm of green light emerged from her tiny squirrel sized hand and struck the gate… for a moment, nothing happened – and then the gate, with an ear-shattering wrench, shattered into four pieces, and broke the bar keeping it shut into splinters that went flying in every direction, spearing some of the nearby guards with shards of wood. 

 

Rachel saw the pieces still blocking the way, and cast her spell too – and the pieces of the shattered gate exploded outwards as if hit by a bomb!  The doors were wrenched from the stone walls, leaving only the hinges behind, and the shattered wooden door exploded into splinters and sawdust as Rachel’s telekinetic blast took the gate down.  Fionn fired his crossbow at an archer who’s bolt came far too close, and I heard other crossbow bolts slam into the side of the carriage. 

 

Alyssa whispered a spell, and called out to us.  “Shield your eyes!”  A moment later, there was a blinding flash that nearly dazed me even though my eyes were tightly shut – and I could hear nearby men scream in pain and surprise.  Alyssa slumped to her seat, caught by Prince Eacharn, and lowered down carefully. 

 

I looked out the other side of the carriage, and heard Rachel yelp in pain – and saw blood blossoming on her dresses sleeve.  She pulled herself back in the carriage, and I saw her arm was embedded with a crossbow bolt, and she was obviously in a lot of pain.

 

Then we heard another scream – a tiny scream, but loud and high.  Tika!  I sat Rachel down and looked through the window between us an Fionn… No!  Tika was struck by a crossbow bolt, but it had not just wounded her – it had impaled her and pinned her to the front of the coach!

 

“Fionn!  We have to stop and help Tika!”

 

“We can’t lad.  We’ll all die.  She’ll have to hold on for a few minutes.” Fionn called, also sounding hurt.

 

I reached my hand through the window, and tried to touch Tika, and she reached out with her little paw, and touched my hand.  “Tika!  Hold on!  Please, don’t die!”

 

“I… I’ll try, Cass.  It hurts… It hurts so much!”  She whimpered.

 

The carriage jumped and bucked as the steeds under Fionn’s control drove over the shattered pieces of the door, and I grunted as I was flung up and to the side, slamming my shoulder against the side of the coach.  Rachel groaned in pain too, and I noticed Eacharn was trying to help Rachel staunch the flow of blood.

 

“Tika!  I promise, you’re going to be okay.”  I said, channeling some of my healing energy into her – enough to try and sustain her, but not enough to heal the arrow wound – she needed that arrow out of her to heal properly.

 

She cried out in pain as the carriage bucked, and passed out.  I wasn’t sure if she was dead or not – and my eyes were full of tears and rage.  Nobody hurts my friends!  Nobody!

 

I pulled myself back to my seat, knowing there was nothing I could do for Tika now, and went to check Rachel’s arm.  It was bleeding a little – but luckily the arrow was keeping most of Rachel’s blood inside her for the moment.

 

“How is it?”

 

“It hurts.  How’s Tika?”  She asked.

 

“Bad.  Really bad.  I don’t know.”

 

“Is she going to make it?”  Rachel looked worried – and Alyssa looked almost unconscious with fatigue.

 

“I… I don’t know, Rache.”  I replied, tears in my eyes.  “I don’t know.”

 

“Save her if you can, Cass.”

 

“I will if I can.  Show me your arm.”

 

“This is where you break the arrow off and its going to hurt like hell, right?”  She asked

 

“Yep.” 

 

“Peachy.”

 

Eacharn tied a strip of cloth around her upper arm as a tourniquet and gave Rachel a folded handkerchief to bite down on, which she took readily. “She’s ready.”

 

“Okay.  Here goes.”  I grabbed the arrow and snapped it in two – to hear Rachel’s groan of pain.  I pulled the arrow out, and staunched the flow of blood with a bandage, and then concentrated.  “Feana, Hathor.”  I whispered under my breath.  “Help me heal this wound.”  I felt my power – and the power of the Twins – flow through me, and into Rachel – and in a moment her arm was healed.  It looked sore, but there was pink flesh without a scar under her sleeve – and not a bleeding, ragged hole.  I gasped as the fatigue hit me like a freight train, but kept myself together.

 

“I’m okay, Cass.  I’ll be fine.  Go help Tika.” 

 

Rachel smiled at me, proudly – I didn’t know why.  I hadn’t done a damn thing during this escape – the girls had done it all, with help from Sir Fionn.  I gently moved Alyssa from her seat to my old one, next to Eacharn, and climbed up to see if Tika was still alive.  She was very still.

 

“Fionn, as soon as it’s safe to pause for even five minutes, halt the carriage.  We have to tend Tika’s wounds, or she may die!”

 

“Aye – but if we halt too close to the keep, it will be us who dies.  I’ll do my best, lad.  I’m sorry.”

 

“I know, Sir Fionn.  Do your best.”  I replied, and reached my arm out to hold Tika’s hand in mine, so that she wouldn’t think she was alone.  I owed her that much at least.  “Please, Tika, don’t die.  You’ve got your boyfriend to go back to…  Come on, little one.  Please…”

 

We drove for five – maybe ten minutes away from the keep, and the carriage halted.  In moments, I was out the side door and up on the coachman’s seat next to Tika – and saw Tika and Rachel were not the only ones who had been injured – Fionn was staunching the blood to an arrow wound in his left arm, and grunted as he snapped the arrow off and then healed his arm, pulling the arrow out of the wound.

 

“Don’t move her, lad. Not until I can help you.”

 

“I won’t.”  I stroked Tika’s tiny head, and whispered.  “You’re going to be okay, Tika.”

 

Then, Fionn was beside me.  “Hold her while I cut the arrow.”  He said, drawing his dagger.  I did, and he slowly cut the arrow off the coach.  A few moments later, she was freed.

 

“Now, lad, both of us, together.  Staunch the blood, while I heal – and then join me.  She’ll need every bit we have in us if she’s to live.”

 

“I understand.”  I said, grabbing a handful of bandages.  I vaguely think I heard Rachel and Eacharn getting out of the coach, to see what was happening – but all my attention was focused on Tika.

 

Fionn pulled the arrow, and I moved to staunch the blood – oh gods, there was so much of it… How could there be any left in that little Reechi body?  As soon as the arrow was out, I stopped the blood and began praying, sending what I could of my energy into her…  I could see Fionn was doing the same.  I only hoped we were in time.

 

Fionn grunted in pain, but I could see the horrible wound closing, and I added my strength to his… Slowly, the wound closed, bit by bit, and still we poured our energy, our faith, our strength into that little Reechi girl that had become such a good friend in such a short time.  At last, Tika’s chest started to breath in and out, and the awful wound was healed.  We had done it… somehow.  I had saved my friend.

 

Fionn cradled Tika, and went to hop down from the coach, and I stood to try climbing down – and felt my vision go grey.  The strength of my limbs left me – and the world seemed to swirl and do flip flops.  The last thing I remember is falling, and then everything went black.

 

 

37