Journey’s End
1.9k 13 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
So... this was supposed to go out yesterday...

"Phew...~" Charlotte sighed as she reappeared in the familiar snowy fields, the cold biting on her exposed skin. 

The second fragment was easier than she thought. It wasn't nearly as hard as the first fragment, which for some reason broke all conventional rules and summoned a primal for that fight. Granted, she did have help from the frost elves, and she did stun lock Atyx on the ground with her lasers, and it did lead to their temporary deaths...

But still, it was kinda successful. Now she just have to explain to Vetris-

"I have heard from my children." From the altar, her voice boomed, as an avatar made of clear ice formed right on top of it. Her avatar was much clearer now, with a more detailed appearance, less sharp, jagged edges, and a more humanoid appearance. 

Charlotte raised her mouth to speak but was silenced almost immediately. "Do not worry. They have done the right thing. Even I cannot guarantee your safety when fighting Atyx in this state, and it is better safe than sorry."

"Besides. You have defeated 2 of the 4 fragments that still chain me to this ground. You have done all of us a great favor." Vetris conjured a glowing ball of pure ice, and a soft, blue glow emerged from the center. 

"Something for your safety." Blowing slightly on the glowing ball of ice in her palm, it drifted towards her.

[Cryostasis]
Activates on Death. Preserves the body and soul at the time of death, warping it to Vetris's side for treatment.

"It will save you once, before death. I hope you will not have to use this ever." Charlotte nodded in agreement. "Thanks... although,"

"How long would it take for Isbert and the others to be resurrected?" Charlotte clutched the necklace around her neck.

"After processing the second fragment? In a blink of an eye, or in human years, 10 or so years."

"10?!"

"Indeed. But you need not worry about their safety. I do have to thank Zedar however," Vetris pointed to the foot of the altar, where black flames constantly ate away at the regenerating ice. "His flames act like a veil to the outside world. No one, not even Death's contractors cannot enter here without his permission.1Unless Vetris brings them in by herself. Otherwise, with no invitation, they cannot discover or enter here.It was likely his original intent to trap me here forever, constantly suffering under his flames, without the mercy of death."

A grin formed on her face. "But alas, I found you. As long as I never quench his flames, death will never come for me, nor any of my children."

Charlotte nodded, relieved. She still had to return that necklace, after all. Nobles were taught that a gift must be repaid in full, no matter the cost. 

"Now, Champion of Frost, is there anything else you wish to know?" 

"Yes. What is, and why is Masamune a soulcraft?" She held up Masamune, letting the light bounce off her blade. Charlotte couldn't be helped to be just a little curious, especially after Atyx's constant spouting of heresy and Soulcraft. Any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

"That... very well." Vetris gave an audible sigh. "Know that the knowledge you are receiving is of Primal origin."

"Primal? Are you saying that there's a Primal of Blood?" 

"Not yet." Ice swirled in front of Charlotte, creating a visage of a hunched-over man smithing an arm as fiery flames roared around him. He was smithing his arm. Not only that, he was missing both his legs as well. 

"Forgive me, but-" Ice shot up Charlotte's legs and arms, coating her entire right half below her neck and Masamune in a thick layer of clear ice. "V-Vetris! Wha-"

"I cannot have the reawakening of a Primal. Not here, not now." Her easy-going demeanor immediately disappeared, as a storm of unbelievable proportions began raging just outside of the clearing.

"Lost in his pursuit of perfection, the Primal Thalos began forging himself as a means of achieving his goals. Leaving all but his right hand to smith, he created the Soulcraft, infusing his very essence into the weapon."

"WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH YOU FREEZING MASAMUNE?!" Charlotte screamed, her eyes red with rage. Her runes glowed bright, as she tried to break through the ice, to no avail.

"Your friend may not be privy to our discussion. You may have asked for the knowledge, but I can choose who gets to receive it." She sighed again. "Besides, your sword will not be harmed. She will not be able to hear anything we say, nor will you be able to impart any of the words heard here."

Inflicted with [Neo's Vow of Silence]
Nothing heard here will be privy to outside ears. 

"Do not worry. It is a safeguard, for the information."

"But why?!"

"Because each Soulcraft is a part of Thalos, however small." She narrowed her eyes, as the ice sculpture in front of her changed. "The goal of his endeavor. Thalos was never crazy. He was never insane. What he was, is maniacal."

The ice formed another orb, with the surface shifting and moving in strange shapes and directions. "He wished to create more Primals from the flesh of his own."

"What...? How is that a bad thing?"

"You do not understand. Maybe one day you will, when you progress higher into the Evolution tree."

...

"Atyx, however much I disagree with him, is right. Soulcraft is dangerous. It is the reason why the great war between us gods first happened. Much suffering has ensued from the fight, and all of us have been affected. 

"That is, all that I will impart." She waved her hand, and the Ice binding her melted away into the snow. "Anything else?" 

Charlotte looked at Masamune. She attempted to open her mouth and say something about her previous conversation, but her throat constricted, unable to let out a single word. Charlotte sighed. There was nothing she could do about that now. Vetris was a god, she was not, and if she was truly right about Soulcraft... she had to take extra care of Masamune.

"Then... tell me about the ancient humans, and why-" Charlotte lifted a portion of her bangs up. "-I have horns." 

"That, I cannot. It ties into the Primal's history as well."

"Very well."

"Is that all?"

Charlotte nodded. "When should I come back for the third fragment?"

"Maximum amount of time should be... 40 years now." She suddenly perked up, as if she remembered something. "Right, Isbert is the one to hand you these things, but seeing how he is currently reforming-" Another amulet of ice materialized in Charlotte's palm. "Here. Farewell now." 

"Goodbye-" She did not even finish as a tornado of Ice and snow formed around her, obscuring her vision as she felt herself being transported in an obscure direction. It calmed down soon after, and she found herself once again surrounded by snow-covered trees, this time without the clearing in sight.

Well, seems like Vetris didn't like talking about Primals... anyways, now to return back to the desert city and continue her assignment. She'll do her class upgrade en route since right now it was much too dangerous.  

As Charlotte walked down the snowy landscape, she did not realize there was a person clad in black following close behind, his daggers held out. Suddenly, he disappeared from his hiding spot amongst the snow-covered trees and reappeared behind Charlotte, his daggers aimed straight for Charlotte's neck.

*CLANK*

Charlotte felt her hand holding Masamune yank backward, and the feeling of danger rapidly permeated throughout the surroundings. She may have blocked one, but there was another dagger heading straight for her abdomen.

[Ichor Shield]

The attacker's blade bounced right off her shield, and Charlotte spun around and retaliated with her own attacks, getting a good look at her attacker.

He was clad in black robes, his face obscured under the artificial darkness of the hood. In his hands held two pristine white daggers, with etchings of the stars.

"Who are you?!" Charlotte snarled as she traded blows with her attacker. Surprisingly, he kept up without the use of any skills, which told Charlotte that the man she was fighting was of high skill.

"Who sent you?!" Seeing that her first question wasn't getting a response, she followed it up with another one, hoping to distract him. But he stayed completely silent, and only the sound of clashing blades rang across the dead silent forest. Charlotte was well aware that her environment was not to her advantage, with only light dragon's leather armor and some cotton clothing, she felt her fingers and toes freezing.

Seeing that they were both going nowhere, Charlotte used [Eye of Land]

[Obscured by Cloaking Artifact]
Your skill is not of sufficient rank.

"Shit..." She cursed, as Masamune was deflected by another dagger. The assailant was parrying her attacks, hitting the sides for Masamune, rather than the sharp edge, which gave him lots of openings. She never fought someone like this before, not a human of this caliber.

If she can't win through pure skill... then she'll win through sheer force.

[Ichor Stake]

A golden stake shot out of the ground, clipping the robed assassin in his sides, and drawing small amounts of blood. Seemingly shocked at this occurrence, he began to push faster, his daggers constantly hitting Masamune, pushing Charlotte further and further back.

[Draconic Shell]
[Ichor Explosion]

Since he was so fast, Charlotte had no doubt that her main skills would do jackshit against him. Instead, she opted for the wide-area explosion, in hopes of catching him before he escaped. Masamune lit up gold, and hundreds of magic circles enveloped the area, deflecting a single stream of Ichor, and collecting it into a projectile.

The assassin, seeing this, backed off immediately to see the outcome. But Charlotte wouldn't let him get away, oh no. If she can't damage him, she'll make herself the weapon.

Turning her runes on using Ichor, she easily reappeared right next to where the assassin was standing. She grinned.

*BOOOOOM!*

As a massive explosion rocked the forest, the steam cleared around her barrier, allowing her to see. The body of the assassin was strewn out on the floor, and many of his limbs were reduced to fleshy stumps. The snow around him was steaming, and the smell of burnt flesh permeated through the air.

"Finally..." She sighed and approached his body. He wanted to see who it was, maybe find some clues to figure out who he worked for.

Charlotte crouched down and carefully removed the hood, expecting to see a semi-recognizable face...

Except, the head was severed at the base. She did not remember severing his head, nor was the sever that rough. Masamune would pass through human flesh and bone like butter, so something was definitely wrong. Suddenly, the bloody avatar of Masamune immediately formed on her right shoulder.

"CHARLOTTE! HE'S BEHIND-" 

But it out too late, as she suddenly felt a hand on her dominant hand, which held Masamune. 

"You won't be needing this anymore." A cold voice said as Charlotte felt a part of her soul forcefully ripped from her body, adrenalin coursing through her veins, she could see in slow motion the exact moment her arm, from the elbow down, was coated in a layer of glittering black goo, before it abruptly disappeared.

And then, a dagger pierced her heart and neck, turning her vision black.

You have traveled too far for a bond to be maintained.
BOND between Masamune and you has been forcefully cut off.
All skills gained from the [BOND] system have been locked until a bond can be re-established.


[Cryostasis] activated.
You are frozen in a state of temporary suspension.
Teleporting to Vetris's prison...

 

I will miss yall...

But hopefully, a somewhat okay ending to the arc, and the only way I could get both Charlotte alive and Masamune separated. Where would she go? Dunno, and I'll probably figure it out when I get back to writing. Cya!

 

 

 

42