Side One Hundred And Fifty-Four – Adam White, Director of the NSA, Paranormal Branch
695 11 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
End of arc side story 1/3

“That’s a gloomy face, Director. Are things not proceeding well?” Adam’s smartly dressed secretary Viola said as she brought in a new bundle of classified documents, expertly scanning them and uploading them to the secure internal mainframe that had no links to outside networks to prevent hackers or foreign governments from snooping. It’s a damn good thing not every country has the good sense to be as secure as we are. Sadly, they are learning though… Japan and Britain had both made it next to impossible to access their phone networks and computer systems by making changes to the security protocols and key hardware. Not impossible, but if we were to be caught out again… no, I’m afraid we have to accept we’ve lost this round.

“I wouldn’t exactly say that. But matters are spiralling rapidly. You saw the programme with our cat Akio earlier, right? That revealed another, Arisu Arisugawa. Her status on the Vermillion List is unclear, but judging by the respect Akio was showing her, and her confidence, we can hardly expect her to be weak. Besides…”

“Yes, I have the figures you requested. Fewer people watched the Super Bowl this year, and this was hardly prime time viewing. Preliminary sentiment tracked from the internet and from phone tracing is overwhelmingly positive towards him.”

“Americans love an all-action hero, after all.” Adam said sourly. “Especially when it comes to saving a girl. Especially if she’s a Princess. It’s a cultural anomaly, considering we’re a republic.” He glanced over at the display case holding his precious painted models. “No, messing with him any further is just not wise.”

“In that case…” Viola pursed her lips, as she pulled out her secure tablet computer, pulling up a file. “…isn’t it time to fulfil our part of the bargain we made and return the British and Japanese citizens we repatriated? Their condition isn’t going to get any better.”

“True. We did manage to find a cat who could manipulate memories…” Viola shuddered at his words, as well she might. It’s just one more reason that this new paradigm needs to be controlled. Mind control, memory manipulation, illusions… how can one ever be sure they aren’t under control, that we’re still ourselves? It’s insidious, pernicious. If one is trapped in a matrix and escapes, how can one be sure that reality as experienced isn’t just another, cleverer matrix? “…and while there were some unfortunate complications with the experiments, we kept those for return separate. They are in the best state they can be, and the worst of their treatment has been expunged. Britain and Japan’s reactions to it is out of our hands.”

“I envy them.” Viola said, sighing. “Japan and Britain seem to be the most stable countries right now. Aside from China, perhaps.”

“Is that what you think?” Adam disagreed. “It only seems that way because of Akio and Princess Eleanor, figureheads to rally around. Under the surface…” he smiled, but there was little humour in it. “…even though our best avenues of information gathering are cut off, we still aren’t helpless. And we know what happened prior to the events in London. Japan is a tense undercurrent of vested interests, conflicting views and resentments. All it will take is a spark to explode. And the Chinese captives from Kyoto…”

“You don’t mean…?” Viola asked, and he nodded.

“All it would take is spinning it out the right way, and the brief riots and protests would be reignited, dwarfing past civil unrest. Britain is in a worse position. Much of Western and Central Europe is boiling. This so-called Church of True Revelation is behind the disappearance of more cats than we are, and even more are joining them. The Pope is calling for calm and conciliation, but not everyone is listening. Britain’s attitude towards the Church is soured by their attempted assassination of their beloved Princess Eleanor, but if they got a foothold, the balance could collapse spectacularly. No, it’s us old powers that are struggling in the new era. We have to watch out. India, East and South Asia, South America… China. These are the places of greatest concern. Just look at the new Vermillion List.” We should be thankful we at least have the codenames of some, but our actions are becoming more restricted. Our success rate at rendition or neutralisation has been steadily dropping. It’s still not low enough to be a grave concern, but our agent losses are becoming unacceptable and unsustainable, even over the short term.

“That’s right.” Viola agreed. “That pair from Mexico could be a problem. We lost good men. Too many. It’s a repeat of Brazil.”

“Son of the Sun, codename Huītzilōpōchtli. And Daughter of the Moon, codename Mētztli. Both double Vermillion. It was almost as if they saw us coming, and the brilliant flames… it was like being hit by a napalm bomb. Not a good way to die. We were fortunate to get any footage at all.”

“I’m more curious about the South Korean situation. They’ve begged and pleaded with us to intervene by sending troops again and again.” Viola pointed out. “If we did so, we’d secure a staunch ally in the region. What with the Chinese situation and strained relations with Japan that strikes me as a smart move.”

“Congress is opposed as is the President. And for once I agree with them.” Those damn Korean fools have made a huge mess of things. Untangling it would cost more lives than the rewards are worth. “The school may be full of the children of wealthy and influential South Koreans, as well as several international students drawn there by talk of academic excellence and character-building ascetism…” Adam snorted, darkly amused. “…but by now the majority are dead or worse anyway. Sending in soldiers first, then their own cats, only to have them taken away… it’s just feeding a fire with fuel again and again. No, when you are messing with mind control or similar powers, the only solution is absolute firepower from a safe distance. A few Hyunmoo-2B’s with proper warheads can solve the problem from hundreds of kilometres away.” They may be strong, but we know nobody can survive high-explosive warheads.

“But then all of the hostages will die. That includes children of a number of very wealthy people and politicians. Imagine if we had to bomb a school attended by the children of the biggest firms on the DOW and NASDAQ, as well as Senators and Representatives. It wouldn’t pass. Could you do it?” Viola asked, troubled.

“Could I?” His gaze went to the cabinet again. Hard choices. Nobody wants that on their conscience, but the alternative is worse. “You know I could and would. Think of it this way.” He lectured his under-secretary, for he was grooming her to take over, when he inevitably was scapegoated for all the deeds he was doing on behalf of America, no, the world. Nobody understands sacrifice. But I do. “Look at the state South Korea is in.”

“You mean this Hunters initiative?” she replied, troubled. “It seems rather risky, allowing their Enhanced individuals to organise that way, and even dictate terms to the government.”

“Yes, but the leaders of Korea have backed themselves into a corner with their prior stupidity. That Choe Museon Academy is a death-trap, and they’ve wasted a lot of lives. But even so, to allow this as both a test of and an announcement of a private Guild system for such dangerous individuals, where they can take on work for profit… as an American I should applaud the capitalistic nature of their ambitions, but letting these groups work autonomously when they have such abilities that defy common sense and are inherently dangerous and unpredictable… sheer madness. At least Akio and Princess Eleanor are tethered by their governments and existing vested interests. These Hunter Guilds will quickly either become uncontrollable or fall into infighting and spread chaos.”

“But they might succeed. Rumours are nearly twenty individuals have agreed to participate. For a country with a population of around fifty million, that’s a huge percentage of their likely assets.”

“Especially considering the casualties already. But even if they succeed that’s a poisoned chalice. Think about it, Viola.” Sometimes it seems like I’m the only one who sees the real threat. “Assuming that they don’t just fuel the fire by pouring more gasoline on it, and actually succeed in rescuing the survivors… these same survivors have been under the influence of mind control for a third of a year. Can they ever be trusted again? Are they even the same people they were? No, best to harden their hearts and remove the issue once and for all.”

Viola was troubled by his words, but she did make an effort to understand, which made her a cut above the average person Adam had to deal with. And why she’ll have to take over from me when the time comes. “If it was an ordinary school… that choice would probably already have been made.” she admitted, facing reality. “But it’s not. The rich and powerful didn’t accumulate their power and wealth to have to make sacrifices.”

“Yes, which is why there needs to be those like us, Viola, so that America doesn’t fall into the same trap. I think there are some cats who are simply too dangerous to be allowed to exist. Any that can alter the mind fall squarely into that category.” The one we unearthed that alters memories... for now we need him, but later…

“But what about what Ms Bakker says? About the dangers coming. Speaking of her, you have a meeting scheduled with her shortly. Ever since she returned from Britain, she’s been acting strange. I… don’t think you can trust her.”

“Trust her?” Adam snorted. Trust is a luxury the powerful cannot afford. “Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. I don’t trust or hope she won’t betray us. She’s only loyal to her own research. Though she does have some weak patriotism, that’s only because we allowed her curiosity free reign. But now she’s tasted what others can give her. Fortunately, she knows that I know. And that I won’t hesitate to have her killed if necessary. She knows far too much.”

“Even with that, she’s unpredictable. Reckless too.” Viola pouted, her immaculate clothing and exquisite, business-like makeup at odds with the wild, unkempt appearance of their scientist. They are like oil and water. But a machine usually needs both to run smoothly…

“Yes. But she does produce results.” He shut his secured laptop with an audible thump. “And we need those right now. We have ever more of these cats coming out of the woodwork now the world leaders have given up trying to patch the broken dam of secrecy. We in America, while not as bad as Europe, also have issues with the Church of True Revelation, as well as growing civil unrest… and our new rival, China, is consolidating their new assets with an iron grip. So until she is foolish enough to cross that line…”

“We use her. Like everyone else.” Viola finished, and Adam nodded.

“Yes. We use her. We use every tool we can.”

 

********

 

“Isn’t this a pleasant surprise.” Christina Bakker said, seeming unaware they even had a meeting scheduled. Did you forget again. Wait, your face?

“Oh, yes. This.” Christina touched her face, where a livid burn scar coiled around one eye, across her cheek and down to her neck. It didn’t look fresh, but the pink skin, alternatively shiny and cracked, looked hideous. “Accidents happen.” She pushed at her glasses, wincing as the frame pulled on her burned ear. “It’s a lot better than it was, the healing Effect-type we dug up has done her best. I thought I was going to lose my eye. It’s a dangerous but fascinating world out there.” She rubbed her hands together gleefully.

Beside Adam, Viola struggled to tear her eyes away from the injury the scientist sported so casually, before she finally regained her composure. As they all sat down, Christina steepled her fingers together and peered at them, expression eager. “The test subjects… err, citizens of our allied countries…” she corrected. “…are as ready as they’ll ever be to be repatriated. I was thinking that someone will need to go and smooth things over. I would be more than happy to…”

“No. you’ll stay here. You’re too valuable and too knowledgeable to simply let go.” Adam denied her.

“But you let me go before…” she whined, acting like a child.

“That was then. When I had trust in your loyalty to the cause. Now…” he tapped his own face where Christina was burned on hers. “…I fear you might have had your head turned and heart won by other options. So tell me. What intelligence have you sent our mutual friend Akio?”

She swallowed. “Nothing yet, I promise you!” Yet? You really do care for nothing but your research… “Don’t be such a grouch, Adam. You’ll go grey. Did you watch the broadcast earlier? That laser. Focussed light. It’s amazing. Most assets don’t have more than one or two abilities, usually all around one thematic point.” She grinned, her burned skin tugging her smile to a strangely lopsided one. “Akio has healing, illusion, laser attacks, and more. And I believe I know how.”

Those words stopped him. “Really?”

“Of course.” She clapped her hands eagerly. “Ever since I first stepped foot into that world… oh, I would have given anything for it, and he made it happen.” She giggled and blushed like a maiden in love, but Adam found it extremely off-putting, as she was clearly insane. I knew that before all this. But it takes dealing with daemons sometimes for the greater good. So long as one knows when to wield the axe… “No price is too great to pay. But he didn’t want my body. I was a little insulted. Adam, I have a good figure, don’t I?” She lifted up her large breasts, though she was wearing a ratty jumper under her dirty lab coat, so the effect was hardly spectacular. “I suppose I’m less likely to be an attractive proposition now my face is burned. Men like women free of scars, don’t they? I digress…” she stopped her nonsense.

Get on with it… “We have a large sample size now. Not enough to confirm any theories to modern proof standards, hardly five sigma, but enough to draw conclusions. These beings, call them Gods if you want, but I prefer Powers, since they seem to us as we seem to the animals, beings of more wisdom, strength and knowledge than we possess, are the key, of course. The Power that intervenes determines roughly the capabilities of the asset. So say one claimed to be chosen by Thor… then strength and abilities to manipulate lightning seems likely. If one is instead of Demeter, then manipulating the earth, plants or perhaps healing might be more common. But do you see a problem?” she explained gleefully.

“Tyr.” Adam pointed out, and Christina grinned.

“Yes, exactly! That’s why I like you, Adam, you’re smart! Nothing Akio shows, except for raw fighting power and strength, seems to have anything to do with Tyr. So, either he’s lying… or he’s found a way to grow in a different way to those we’ve experimented on… err, requested to help us in our research.” She corrected again, making a face that was barely apologetic.

“And you’ve made a breakthrough?” Adam pressed. “We already know that Japan is expanding their number of strong people, something we can’t yet do.”

“Of course. Since we managed to find an asset who was claimed by Anahita…” at their blank looks, she grinned. “I don’t blame you, it’s an obscure mythology. That’s interesting in itself. Why are there so many Powers out there? That doesn’t make sense in itself. Anyway, Anahita, or perhaps Anahit, is either Persian or Armenian. The woman herself is an Armenian-American, second-generation immigrant. And she’s very good. Both at healing, and her second ability. Eyes Of Wise Water, she calls them. Damn, if I could take them I’d swap eyeballs in a heartbeat…”

“Enough of your digressions. Get to the point.” Adam complained. I pity the woman. She might wake up one day to find this madwoman gouging out her eyes…

“So hasty. I guess you’re under a lot of pressure.” She said unhelpfully. “Anyway, I’ve been studying the other world, the Astral. Combining knowledge from various assets, though sadly the average one knows little, as well as information buried in the new Japanese legislation, I’ve come to some hypothesis, which have been borne out by testing. Her eyes are very helpful.” She went to a whiteboard in the corner and quickly sketched out some charts. “Here is what we are now calling the Material world. Then there is the Astral, though we can only access the lowest part of it. We seem to be in a shallow eddy, relatively calm. But outside the tides boil, and that’s where beings that far exceed us live. Even in our calm Boundary though, there are those who live there, such as our dear crocodile, who seems to have found himself here unaided.”

“We know all this, largely.” Viola complained, and Christina laughed.

“I know. But I am setting the scene. This world is full of energy, Ether. But the body doesn’t use this ether, it breaks it down to a useable state, aether, which fuels many of these abilities. I have struggled, but I can use a little. But here on the Material, it is several orders of magnitude harder to bring out its power. I can barely make a spark with all my efforts.” She grinned, and a tiny flame flickered on the tip of one finger for an instant. “I didn’t know why that was the case, but our asset of Anahita was able to see it. It may seem random, but it follows principles.”

She now drew several human silhouettes and filled them with lines and swirls. “Like the physical body, we also have a spiritual one. And if properly maintained, it can draw on ether and convert it to aether. Mine however…” she tapped the first image. “…is rather feeble. Assets have a much more brilliant one, with more active… chakras, for want of a better word. But my research says they fit the best. The pathways are wider and stronger as well. They also seem to each have an individual something different, though her eyes can’t really see that with any clarity. Which makes me believe there is another fundamental force, related but different, that mediates these matters. Just like electricity and magnetism seemed separate but is actually one force. Then you throw in the weak nuclear force and you have the electroweak force. I have no doubts this Astral works in a similar way.”

“That’s all important knowledge.” Adam approved. “But growth? New abilities?”

“I’m getting to it. You won’t be popular with women if you hurry all the time.” She giggled, setting his teeth on edge. Viola coughed pointedly, and Christina continued. “Now, this other world has denizens. We knew this. And Akio mentioned it in his broadcast earlier. Some are intelligent, and through use of ether, it is possible for the assets to create for them a body they can use to visit our Material world. Numbers are increasing as we are making it a focus. But… killing… it draws in the surrounding energies. I’ve been testing on several assets who do not fight, as well as myself, and the results are interesting. There’s a clear correlation between the strength of this Astral body and overall strength, including of our physical, Material bodies. Yet when I try the same…” she touched her burns again. “… ignore the injuries and don’t worry about me, I don’t mind sacrificing my body for science…” she said cheerfully.

“Nobody was worried about that.” Viola whispered acerbically.

“It seemed to have no result. But science is testing, repetition. New hypothesis and test again. Indominable will.” Christina gushed. “So I repeated it every time I accumulated enough aether to return. And I discovered it is possible for me to grow stronger. I run tests on myself, carefully calibrated to eliminate biases and errors such as muscle growth and increasing familiarity, and after defeating literal hundreds of blasted insects, I have seen further gains that are likely not anomalous, but predictable. And the Eyes Of Wise Water confirm it. My Astral body is slightly brighter. Now… further testing, and killing more and more creatures is required to prove it, but if it works as I imagine… well, all that one needs to grow stronger is the will. But the assets have been changed so that their efficiency is a hundred times, maybe even a thousand times greater than someone like me, who simply has been changed by Akio.”

“I’m curious as to how you defeated them. You’re not a fighter.” Adam mused, and she laughed.

“It was hardly easy. Under my clothes my body is a wreck. That’s another reason why you should let me accompany the returning assets. I’m not too bothered myself, but my performance is adversely affected by the scars, and the accumulation affects the purity of my results. I could use being healed. I am sure I can pay.” She giggled again. “Besides… there’s something definitely wrong. I am not as strong as I should be, compared to your data on the girls and boys from that training school of his in Japan you secured by covert means. If I take our Effect-Type with the Eyes, I can see the difference.”

“You just want to leak secrets.” Viola accused. “Don’t think we are unaware of your motives, Akio Oshiro wouldn’t give you this boon for free.”

“Leak? What could I leak? They know more than us.” Christina smirked, annoying Viola. “I do feel gratitude. Hence why I spent more effort than it was worth finding someone who could at least soothe the worst damage to our test subjects. I hope he’s thankful.”

Yes, she’s a brilliant mind, but has no understanding of the subtleties of human emotion. Everything’s one plus one is two. No shades of grey. But everything in this world is murky. There is no pure white. “Somehow I doubt that.” Adam managed dryly. “But you are aware that secrets about the cats aren’t all you hold. Desertion will not be tolerated.”

“How about personnel exchange?” she tilted her head, her burns looking ghastly at that angle. “Really, if you sell it right, we can gain a lot. My research will be hastened, and the Japanese and British will look favourably towards us. It’s a win-win. I know not to talk about your branch of the NSA or any boring political matters. To be honest, I barely pay attention as it is.”

“That’s true.” Adam conceded. “Even so…” Last time she was dispatched as a sacrificial pawn. Just in case. There was an inherent risk of her being tortured, or scanned by some cat with mind-reading powers, I deemed it worth the risk then, so…

“Can you make others like you?” I asked, and she shook her head in denial.

“No, though I know it can be done. Not just that. One of the assets guarding me…” she frowned. “He wasn’t much use in London. He told me he was the strongest. Such a joke. Anyway, he goes by Titan, a codename that seems appropriate. He’s a Physical type. During his stint as my escort in the Astral, he managed to accumulate a significant amount of aether within himself, and also another type of energy. It seems to be aether, at least at a basic level. But this red energy was absorbed by him. It made him rather unwell, but eventually he pulled through, and now he also has the ability to control the earth and stone around him to a limited degree. But that’s not the curious part.” Christina grinned triumphantly. “Now, this…” she tapped the lowest swirling chakra on her diagram. “...became activated on Titan. And when we checked the few others who had abilities that affected earth and stone, there was a high degree of correlation.”

“So you think that Akio has also grasped this somehow?” Adam pressed, interested.

“I abhor using folklore, myth and pseudoscience as sources…” Christina confided, changing the subject. Adam and Viola were confused by this, but she ignored their strained expressions. “Chakras… when I did research on Eastern traditions, I found that while it wasn’t identical, there were clear similarities. And looking at those with abilities to wield flame or control the wind… yes, the relevant chakras…” she tapped the board several times. “…had higher energy and activation.”

“I see.” Adam was convinced. The implications… only a mad scientist like Christina Bakker would be able to puzzle this out by putting her own feeble body on the line… she may be cold and unethical, but she treats herself as badly as her pitiful test subjects…

“So in conclusion… we are making progress.” She clasped her hands behind her back as she addressed them, her expression bright despite the scar. “But if I was able to learn even just a little more, observing Akio and those around him, I would surely unlock more of the puzzle.”

“I see.” Adam repeated non-commitally. As Christina opened her mouth to protest, he shook his head. “I’m not saying no. You’ve given me a lot to think about. But… there are considerations.” Your trustworthiness amongst them, for one.

“All right.” She said, and Adam was surprised she sounded so calm, expecting more wheedling and pleading. He was then further shocked as she offered another proposal. “How about we make him an offer then? American citizenship for him, his lovers and their families. The conservative voting population might not like his ways, but if we say he got married before they left Japan under their laws, so it’s still legal…”

“An interesting suggestion.” Adam had thought of such before but hadn’t held out much hope. “But he’s got a lot of backing and wealth there in Japan. I doubt he’d be willing…”

“Sure he might be rich, but there’s rich and there’s rich. So what if he has a few tens of millions of dollars, pull out some black ops budget and throw a billion at him. Nobody can resist that.” She grinned. “Besides, if he’s interested in growing stronger, as I suspect, then America surely holds more opportunities than small, cramped Japan. Make him an offer. Give him whatever he asks for, just get him over here.”

“You make a good point. But… do you think he’s worth a billion dollars? You could get a lot of military hardware for that price.” he countered, curious as to her response.

“I’m sure you could. But if we can unlock the secrets to how these new abilities work and create them at will… what price can we put on that?”

After that they finished discussing the remaining matters, and as Christina left, eager to return to the Astral, as she called it, door shutting behind her, Viola finally spoke.

“You’re not considering it, are you?”

“The Pope, Britain, Japan, a number of our own cats…” Adam mused. “They all say danger is coming, terrible, outside danger. It varies depending on who you interrogate, but all say the same. However… even with that, I can’t overlook the true threat. Future strife is not more important than safeguarding the now, or we have no future to protect. Some abilities have to go. Mind control for one. But others…” his eyes were distant. It’s just like The Grey Knights. He thought about the beautifully painted squads in his cabinet. Proper harnessing of the safest of a cursed power can be a force for good. But knowing what is proper and how to harness it safely is a risk… “…a predictable, purely combat-focused set of abilities, perhaps healing as well, and some others… that is something to be interested in. Super-soldiers. Able to move faster and think smarter, great resilience and even the ability to call up fire, earth and wind. Perhaps even lasers like we saw on the broadcast earlier…”

“I thought you were worried about such powers being used for causing chaos, targeting politicians and so on?” Viola asked, and he nodded.

“Oh, I am. Which is why if we could make our own, then we can get rid of all the other uncertain elements, and create a loyal force, just like the US Military. Trained, indoctrinated and ready to fight and die against whatever threats are coming. We have the funds and the manpower. Now all we need is the knowledge…”

This cat who was called by Anahita, I remember her in the Vermillion list. Rather low-rated. I will have to bump her power level a colour or two. But… it’s not enough. Christina is right. If only we hadn’t screwed up trying to capture Akio Oshiro. But we did… so… how do we win him over, or get enough information to improve our own project, pushing Project Star Mirror to the heights of success we need? Christina Bakker and the returning citizens are the key… Adam still couldn’t quite figure out why Akio had given Christina such an ability, it only had downsides, but there must have been a reason. Figuring that out was key to unwrapping how he thought, and if that was known then… Everyone has their price. Everyone. All we need to do is find it and hope we can meet it…

 

As Viola nodded slowly, Adam bit down on a laugh. “There’s no point worrying about it. I have a busy schedule. And I have to brief our great and glorious President in a few hours.” His tone was dry and sarcastic. “Perhaps he might have an opinion, considering he’ll definitely have watched the broadcast from Japan…”

So yeah, I am in no way associated with the website truthseekers.com lol. It popped up some time after I already had that as Niko's website so... yeah. Don't expect any fun OAT content there is all I'll say *wink*

Anyway, I did consider mentioning a few more 'cats' as an introduction to some other cultures/countries and mythos, but I thought I'd stop at just a couple, since next arc will introduce a load anyway *smile* 

29