Four Hundred And Forty-Five
603 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Well, isn’t this simply a luxurious greeting, Akio my good friend!” Buck greeted me cheerfully, his brash American temperament on full display as he met me outside my house, the driver Hinata’s grandfather had arranged for them depositing them outside our mansion. Them. Other visitors too, I see. Behind Buck were two women, one unfamiliar to me, a fairly glamourous blonde woman, middle-aged but still looking bright, wearing a long coat, perhaps feeling the chill in the air. On seeing my gaze, Buck introduced her. “This is my good wife, my better half, Mary. She keeps me on the straight and narrow, even if she can’t stop me drinking and gambling. Must be the Irish in me.”

“Pleased to meet you. I’ve heard a lot about you.” Mary said politely in English, her accent quite strong for an American. “Though I never thought the lucky man and woman Buck met in Las Vegas would go on to be so… renowned.”

“That’s one hell of a way of putting it, baby doll.” Buck laughed again. “Oh, we don’t speak any Japanese, so…” he looked apologetic, but I merely shrugged.

“Don’t worry about it. We’re pretty much all fluent English speakers here. And good morning to you too, Ms Connors.” I greeted the third member of the party, her usual stern look, paired with her prissy glasses, in evidence as usual. She wore a tight turtleneck jumper and long trousers that covered all her skin, and her hair was pulled back into a bun. “This is a surprise.”

“You can call me Jennifer. Since you are a very important client of Midas Gold, I can do you that honour.” She said, before turning to Buck. “The doorstep is no place for conversation. Though I feel rude intruding in your home, Oshiro-san…” she managed the Japanese honorifics flawlessly. “…it was not entirely our choice. I was content to get a hotel, but it seems matters have progressed in a different direction.”

“Yes, matters do seem to have become more complicated.” I apologised. “By all means, come in.” I gestured to the doorway, and soon everyone was seated inside, my mother preparing tea and snacks and chatting away happily. Once we were all settled, it was time to get down to business.

“So, Buck, you wanted my support in breaking into the Japanese market, right? I’m not exactly sure what help I can be, but I am well-connected.”

As Mrs Kelly started to lose interest, my mom took over. “Should we leave the boring talk to the men? You’ve come all this way to Japan, let me show you some hospitality. Besides, I’m used to Japan despite being a foreigner, so I can show you the sights without any troubles!” She was excited to be useful, but I warned her to take some security just in case when she went. Of course, mom was in no hurry, so for now she just took Mrs Kelly to the corner of the room, chatting happily in English.

“Oh, I heard Aliyah was working for you now. Miss Luciana too?” Buck remembered, and I nodded.

“Yeah, security has to be tight around my family. The last thing I want is them to be kidnapped.”

“My Aki worries too much.” Mom confided in Mrs Kelly. “Of course, he’s a good boy, and I suppose he’s right. That’s why mom wants to be strong too! Ai, Shaeula and the others haven’t come back, and even Eri’s working hard with Daiyu-chan. We can’t be left behind!”

“Oh yes, I thought I didn’t see Shaeula, my other lucky charm, anywhere?” Buck said, looking around. “A shame, because I wanted her input too.”

Training was still ongoing and getting ever more brutal. Honestly, I was getting a little unhappy over the intense way everyone was pushing themselves. Time in the Boundary flowed faster, so naturally they had been abusing their bodies and aether for far too long. Though every time I complain, they rightly point out my hypocrisy, as I did the same thing a number of times in the past, and I’m even training right now. I blinked, the slight headache of my overlaid senses pulsing. In the Boundary I was disassembling and reassembling a number of crafts created by the Mortal Engineers, as well as brewing potions, melting and creating alloys, and many more tasks all at once, trying to learn new crafting skills and classes, and strengthening Ether Crafting and Dvergr Techniques. “Oh? Shaeula certainly likes to drink, but she’s hardly an expert on business, although…” My smirk must have been noticeable, as Buck wondered what was up.

“…Shaeula’s actually opened a number of bars and cafés herself. In the Fae lands.” I had to laugh, and then I stopped as Buck rubbed his hands together with glee. Jennifer pursed her lips at his exuberance, but said nothing, merely producing some documentation.

“I just knew the pair of you were my lucky charms! The world’s gone damn crazy, but it looks like old Buck still has his part to play.” On seeing my confused look, he laughed, pointing to the documents Jennifer had provided. “Princess of the Fae, she called herself, right? The Irish, they believed in the Fae, the Fair Folk, right? So… what better patron for a bar where we drink the drinks of the old country? I can see it now, bars all around the world, her cute image encouraging people to drink…”

“Her appearance is a bit of a problem, since she looks rather underage in most countries.” Jennifer pointed out, but Buck shrugged.

“She claimed to be past twenty-one, right? Besides, while I’m a gentleman that would never talk about a woman’s age, for all women are teenagers in their heart…” he chuckled as Jennifer continued to sigh. “…even if human laws applied to the fair folk, she’s older than we think, isn’t she?”

“Yes, though you’re right. She’s happy with her age on her passport. So that’ll do for me.” I clarified. The documents were interesting, certainly. “Most of this seems similar to Kelly’s Rest, but… what’s this?”

“Irish bars do attract a certain sort of clientele. Tourists from the Anglosphere usually, though we Irish are popular the world over and famed for generosity and charm, so plenty of foreigners enjoy coming through our doors, to get a taste of Ireland. But that’s not enough, not now.” Buck grinned, and his excitement was infectious, so I found myself smiling too. I saw mom and Mrs Kelly talking in the corner, watching us warmly. “Bars and pubs are a place of socialisation, of dreams and adventure. So…”

“Shaeula’s very impressed. She agrees.” I said, after having read the proposal. “Having a VIP-style bar in the new establishments themed on her and the Seelie Court tickles her fancy. But…”

“I know she’s sweet on you, Akio my boy, but can you really speak for her? I knew there was something more going on between the two of you, even when you introduced the other doll as your fiancée, but…”

“I could speak for her, just as she can speak for me, but no, I’m relaying your plans to her as we speak.” I showed off. “She’s a Fae, you have to expect some magic, right? In fact, she has another proposal. I need to run it past my own business advisor, but she’ll be here soon. Essentially… how would you like to handle distributing beverages from the lands of the Fae? You can even sell them in your new bars. Mom… can you grab a bottle of that Fae mead?”

Mom immediately shot up. “I love that!” She turned to Mrs Kelly, who seemed confused, a bright smile on her face, blue eyes sparkling. “I’m terrible with alcohol. I’m a disappointment as a Brit. Maybe I was always meant to be Japanese, they suffer terrible hangovers.” She conceded. “But this mead is great! It tastes so sweet and smooth, but has a kick, and the honey itself seems medicinal, as the next day… clear-headed and no nausea!”

Jennifer narrowed her eyes, thinking, while Buck guffawed loudly, slapping me on the back heartily, only to cry out in pain, shaking his hand and muttering “What the hell you made out of, man? Steel?”

Mom hurried back with the bottle, which was a work of art in itself. Ginneka was incredibly busy, but we were making sure that both the Boundary and Material had a few treats available. The liquid was a beautiful creamy orange-gold, and when the cork was pulled, a sweet yet strong fragrance filled the air. “I’m not sure you should be drinking while discussing business…” mom giggled. “…but my Aki isn’t fazed by alcohol anymore, so if negotiations go his way because of it…” She gave everyone glasses, including herself, and soon everyone was frozen, looking down at it. Buck was of course first to speak.

“The colour, the smell… does it taste as good as it looks? Let me see…” He took a sip, eyes widening, before taking a larger gulp. “Damn, man, this is gorgeous. Like sweet milk and honey, but with perfectly integrated alcoholic taste. Got a real kick too. There’s fruit on the back too…”

Jennifer was silent, but her wide eyes agreed with Buck’s assessment. Mrs Kelly was silent but clearly enjoying it, and mom was gulping it down, so I felt a brief flare of worry. Sure, the Fae booze is often better for hangovers, but mom’s still a lightweight. Better give her Ether Healing before I leave. Taking a swig myself I enjoyed the moment, before making my move. “Currently, what we can move is limited, but… the method is still currently secret, but I believe we could set up a brewery specialising in Fae beverages. In addition, supplying human booze in reverse, tailoring it to the tastes of Fae and Yōkai…”

“Yōkai?” Buck said, puzzled for a moment, talking another gratuitous gulp of the mead.

“Consider them Japanese Fae. It’s close enough.” I laughed. “It’s a business we were going to get into, and some of my fiancée’s could probably connect us with a suitable brewery, but…” It’s not all about profit. Sure, we’d make a larger cut partnering with one of the traditional breweries that the nobility deals with, but if we think longer term, about worldwide expansion… besides, there’s room for multiple avenues to exploit…

“You really do have the luck of the Irish.” Jennifer said to Buck, as she swirled the mead in her half-drunk glass. “When I accepted a fortunate gambler as a client despite the funds being somewhat lacking, on your recommendation, I thought it couldn’t hurt. Now… Chase is very interested in your success, Barclays too. And the Japanese banks… they are traditionally dominated by a cartel of old families, no?”

“They are indeed. I have a lot of money I can draw on, but I have to make a profit for those lending me money, as well as myself.” I agreed. “More than that… it’s to save the world.” I promised grandly. “Buck, did you know… the owner of Casino El Diablo was cheating by using the same sort of powers we have.”

“I did think something funny was going on, looking back on it. You and the doll were cheating too, right?” Buck laughed. “Not that I blame you. The house always wins, so sometimes it’s good to strike back.”

“I only cheated when I was playing crooked games. Other than that… luck is a thing, you know. And Shaeula’s a very lucky girl, which rubbed off on me.”

“I see. In that case…” Jennifer looked at me, her expression intense. “Can you prove it?”

“Sure. Give me some coins. Just to prove no cheating I won’t use my own or touch them. Then you throw them and I’ll call heads or tails.”

After a simple game of coin toss, where I correctly guessed more than ninety percent of the time, Jennifer let out a sigh. “Casinos are finished. Poker tournaments too. A lot of games of chance will be ruined. Online casinos the world over will start losing money. I will have to advise our clients to sell stock they hold…”

“Looks like you’ve caused some trouble.” Buck laughed, slapping me on the back again, though more gently. “Still, there could be money to be made. Jennifer here sure thinks so, and she’s got a nose for profit, just like I do.”

“The number of Chosen with appreciable Fortune is going to be small, so it’s not as bad as you’d think. But… actually, with some tweaks, you can reduce a lot of the issues. Maybe I should be a consultant. No, I have no time.” I snorted ruefully. “Anyway, Buck, how does it sound, brewing drinks the world hasn’t ever seen before?”

“It’s tempting, by God it’s tempting.” He smiled. “I have little experience, but enough connections…”

It was then my phone beeped. Hinata had messaged me to say she’d arrived, and soon she, still in her school uniform, was rushing in cheerfully, followed by her grandfather, Motoko’s grandfather, and two girls from Hinata’s school, girls I recognised from the new batch of trainees. But there’s a problem.

“Cute!” my mom giggled, eyeing them with a predatory glint in her eye, and I bit down on a sigh. Damn, mom’s hammered already it seems. Every time she sees a cute girl she wants me to snatch them up. Auntie Hana’s pulling her hair out over it every day, though to be honest, I think it’s more out of habit than any real objection now. It’s hard to hate my girls, they’re all great in their own ways.

“I’m not sure what’s going on, but… why the uniforms?” Buck asked, seeing the two, one girl tall and well-proportioned, the other younger and cute, wearing matching black and silver military outfits, long coats, trousers and even a peaked military-style cap, though on them it looked like cosplay. It’s not though. It’s less flashy, but it’s the same as the girls were wearing during our uniform play. It’s genuine craft from the Boundary. I didn’t need my Eye to see it was something Ginneka must have sent over.

“Simple. It’s a sign of resolve, of acceptance.” Hinata said brightly, and the two girls wavered for a moment, before nodding slowly, eyes on me with feelings I couldn’t quite decipher. “Anyway, nice to meet you.” she said in English. “I’m Hinata Takatsukasa, formerly Hinata Fukumoto. I’m Akio’s dear fiancée. Here is my grandfather…” she went on to introduce the others, finishing with “…and these two charming girls are Nozomi and Arisa Shiraishi. Daughters of the famous Shiraishi family.”

“I see.” Jennifer narrowed her eyes. “So, we have a political powerhouse, the Minister for Defence no less, as well as the chairman of a company even Chase Bank respects. Shiraishi, Shiraishi…” she pondered. “I’ve heard that name mentioned recently in business circles. Ah…” she looked satisfied as she remembered. “The Tengokusentou.” She stumbled over the foreign pronunciation. “It’s talk around the business world. A Japanese treasure snatched up by foreign wealth funds. That rarely happens.”

“Yes.” Motoko’s grandfather agreed. “It is greatly disappointing. The Shiraishi family has owned and ran the Tengokusentou for years, it is their very identity, and it is inextricably linked to the customs and ceremonies of some of Japan’s most influential families.” At that the older girl started to tremble, her younger sister trying to comfort her, but at the hard look in Hinata’s eyes they both froze, though the elder was gnawing her lip in a very undignified display of worry, quite unlike the usual poise of noble daughters. “No matter what we offer, or what proxies we use, no sum of money, even a great, even absurd profit, will persuade this fund and their shadowy foreign owners to relinquish it. It seemingly is no longer about money.”

Jennifer narrowed her eyes at the pressure from Katsuro-san. “Yes, rest assured Chase has no investment in that fund. If we did, we would certainly have swallowed the large profit and sold it. It does seem perplexing.”

“Sounds like spite to me. Even good businessmen aren’t immune to it.” Buck said, also thinking. “Either that or this hotel is in the way of something. That seems unlikely, right? It’s just a hotel, no matter how fancy.”

As the two girls flushed red, wanting to argue back but not daring to, Hinata agreed. “You’re right. It seems to me it’s either jealousy or malice. And I don’t like that. I’m determined to get it back. It’s not a matter of how. Though if they make enemies of us, whoever is backing this wealth fund will regret it!”

“She’s a fierce little one. A bit young though.” Buck observed. “But who am I to judge? In some cultures, you can’t even have a glass of beer.” He confided grandiosely, and Hinata smiled at him.

“You must be Buck Kelly. A friend of my Akio is a friend of mine. Yes, you’re right. Getting engaged at my age is perfectly legal, both here and in mother-in-law Emily’s country. So we won’t listen to any objections or complaints. Not that a friend of Akio’s would ever be so crass.”

“Yeah, definitely a firecracker. Hey, I’m all for more love in the world.” Buck laughed. “You’ll be a terror on the booze when you’re older.”

“Maybe I’ll show you later, when we celebrate a great victory.” Hinata looked at me then. “So, this is interesting. This woman… she’s from Chase Bank?”

“Jennifer Connors.” She handed over her business card in a very Japanese fashion. Hinata actually returned one of her own, which surprised me. Seeing that, she handed me one, and it was tastefully done with delicate golden ink. Uh… it’s certainly something, that’s for sure.

“You’ve put your role as my wife in charge of finances, business acquisition and money management?” I said, raising an eyebrow, and to laughter all around she blushed.

“Why not? It’s what I do best. I’ve made cards for the others as well, but I’m the one who moves in these circles, so…”

Her grandfather coughed, and she stopped, flushing a deeper, more embarrassed red. “Anyway, that’s not important. What is important is opportunity. So, Ms Connors, Mr Kelly, how would you like to win a little favour with not just Akio, but the powers that hold Japan in their hands? Who also owe Akio, so it’s a compound effect.”

“I’m listening, doll.” Buck said, curious, and Jennifer paused for a moment, before her curiosity got the better of her and she nodded.

“Great. Doll, huh? I don’t hate that. You Americans sure are enthusiastic and forward.” Hinata smiled. “But that might be what we need. So, here’s the thing…” As she began to talk, Buck and Jennifer were greatly surprised. As am I. That’s a bold scheme, a bold scheme indeed…

Meeting Kenji-san’s eyes, Hinata’s grandfather mouthed a few words at me, and I nodded, agreeing. Yes, Hinata’s greedy, but she’s greedy to help me and the others. These girls too it seems. On hearing that they would be ruined because of the actions of their foolish parents, my sympathies spiked, and I resolved to give it my best shot…

A rather short one today. Still snowed under at work and not feeling 100% either, but I figured getting this bit out the way's a win, so we can get onto the really interesting stuff hopefully tomorrow and Friday *smile*

Anyway, a reunion with a couple of characters from many, many chapters ago features here.

31