Four Hundred And Forty-Six
818 11 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you sure we should be listening to this?” Buck blinked, hand idly touching the crucifix he wore under his shirt. “By God, this is a mess.”

“I have to agree.” Jennifer blinked behind her glasses, as we sat around a table in the hotel we were meeting our foreign guest at. “While I am proud that Akio-san…” I had asked Jennifer to address me more informally, but unlike when we first met in Las Vegas, she was now adopting Japanese mannerisms, perhaps out of politeness and respect for my expanded status. At least I’ve got her to call me by my first name. Older women being so formal makes me itchy. “…is a client of Midas Gold, one I myself signed up, and of course the services of Midas Gold go beyond mere banking and finance, this… this is geopolitics and worse. I fail to see what I can offer.”

The two Shiraishi girls also seemed out of place, the older one trembling, and the younger one looking about with sharp eyes, at least trying to make sense of everything. Seeing that, Hinata smiled in self-satisfaction. “Everyone here has a purpose. We could do it without you, Mr Kelly, Ms Connors…” Hinata’s manners were flawless, when it came to business her usual cheekiness was suppressed. “…but it’s actually an opportunity. And I do so hate wasting opportunities. Besides…” Her brown eyes narrowed. “…there’s no benefit and many demerits to betraying Akio’s trust. Your institution has advanced a significant loan facility to us, and the returns should be more than worth your time and the risk. And for Mr Kelly here…”

“Please, call me Buck, Mr Kelly was my old father.” he said, and Hinata shrugged.

“Fine, in deference to your friendship with Akio I can be informal. There’s no reason to lose Akio’s respect by being a fool. To say nothing of the potential tie-ins with us that Akio mooted. No, that’s not true, there’s one reason.” She glanced at his clutching hand. “You’re of Irish descent, right? Religious?”

Buck frowned, but clearly understood her question. “Yes, like most of those of Irish descent, I’m Catholic. Not a good one, I drink and I gamble way too much, I got a taste of sin early and it took root. But… there’s no need to worry, doll. The Pope himself called for reconciliation and calm. I’m a live and let live sort of guy, as my dear Mary will tell you.” He looked at me then. “Must be hard, having to fight and worse. But… defending a lady is never wrong. Princess Eleanor’s quite the looker in a cold sort of way. Thinking of wooing her? Wouldn’t that be a wedding?”

“I think that’s off-topic, but…” I tried to change the subject, imagining Eleanor’s scowl at that suggestion. “…I hadn’t quite considered the religious aspect. It might be uncomfortable, but my grandparents from Britain and my mom are all Christians. Church of England, but it’s largely the same, right?”

“Don’t be saying that in Ireland, my man.” Buck snorted, amused and vaguely horrified by my suggestion. “It’s not as bad as it was, but tensions still simmer. But…” he patted his crucifix. “…it’s the same God, I’ll give you that. Same Heaven and Hell too.”

“In that case, I know enough to know what Mary Stuart and her Church is doing is wrong. I’d much rather listen to the Pope. So we will likely be enemies at some point. But for now…” I began.

“…we’ll consider good deeds.” Fukumoto Kenji grinned, looking younger than ever. Chirurgery and healing really seems to agree with him. Or perhaps it’s seeing his granddaughter having so much fun? Consider.” He reiterated. “While there were no guarantees Park Do-yun was one of those involved in the Korean incident, the Doosan group being heavily involved in fields similar to Ichijou house there was a chance it was merely business related…” he grinned at Katsuro Tsumura, amused. “…seems like sometimes it takes business knowhow, rather than political power to find out the truth. Park Do-yun has never had a son, he has a university-age daughter, and she was never sent to one of the Private Academies for the wealthy and gifted that the Koreans love. So naturally our diplomats and intelligence operatives couldn’t find any connection, unlike those of the wealthy and powerful class who approached our government, begging for help.” He seemed proud that his grandson-in-law was so sought after, and he looked at Hinata fondly as she puffed out her chest, similarly delighted.

“I still can’t believe it, man of the hour.” Buck muttered, though his curiosity was captured, despite his misgivings.

“Fortunately, us old men of the world have other means to connect. It took a while to find out the truth, but I spoke to a long-time friend and rival of Park-ssi…” he showed his worldly ways by using a Korean honorific. “…who I have worked with in the past. It turns out there’s an old, shameful story. Back when Park-ssi’s father was in charge of the Doosan group, he had two children, a son, and a younger daughter. Park-ssi doted on her, not unlike a certain man I know.” He grinned at me, Hinata having no doubt enjoyed telling him how close I was to my own sister. Not that Hinata minds, she likes my sis, as well she might, they’re both insanely cheerful girls of action, even if their fields differ. “Unfortunately, the sister fell in love with a man the family deemed unworthy and fell pregnant after a brief liaison. A great shame.”

“Yes, while Korea does not have a legacy of the nobility as we do here in Japan, the cultural norms are similar. It would be the same were a daughter of the Fifty-Eight to do such a thing.” The Shiraishi girls shivered at Katsuro-san’s words, only for Hinata to mutter soothingly to the uniform-clad sisters, calming their nerves.

“It is little wonder we could not find the connection. All of those who came seeking our aid before were those who had children trapped at Choe-Museon Academy. It is a prestigious school, but unlike Hanafubuki, it was possible to secure lists of students there, even some photographs. But Park Do-yun had a single daughter who was too old and never attended, according to those.” Motoko’s grandfather continued. “It was a puzzle, though our suspicions were that it was still related.”

“Yes, she was forced to abandon the family name. She then had a son, but sadly despite Park-ssi looking out for her, she passed away soon after, never forgiven by her father. But after that, he took care of her son secretly, and enrolled him in the prestigious Academy.” Kenji-san finished.

“So the mystery is solved.” I mused. “But that doesn’t change the dangers. Mind control, right? That’s something I’m extremely wary of dealing with. I’m not putting my allies at risk. Perhaps there’s one or two who might be resistant, I doubt Tan would be susceptible, but… the situation is troubling.”

“Yes. Hence why we have been stalling on accepting the offers of the South Korean government and the desperate wealthy families.” Katsuro-san pointed out. “We have talked about this. Losing you is unacceptable from Japan’s viewpoint. Even more so from mine. Motoko would be devastated.”

“Yeah. But…” I had to admit to myself that my sympathies were stirred by the story I had heard. “…we have some reason to intervene too.”

“Of course. The profits are huge, especially with us needing allies against China.” Kenji-san agreed. “But no profits can compensate for the loss of the man our granddaughters have chosen, right Katsuro-kun?”

As Motoko’s grandfather agreed, I looked to Hinata, who clearly had some ideas, judging by the Shiraishi sisters being here. We talked about their family being in trouble because they lost their hotel… and how it was likely motivated by spite… “Hinata, do you think that we can use Park Do-yun to get back the… Tengokusentou, was it?”

At my words the girls jolted in surprise, and Hinata smiled, pleased. “Shrewd as ever, Akio. That’s just one reason I love you.” Buck, who was listening closely, guffawed at her admission of affection. “Even those acting on spite and malice wish for profit, if it doesn’t hurt their revenge. Our relationship with South Korea isn’t good, so if offered a deal by some Korean businessmen, they might accept. There’s also Buck here.”

“Me?” he said, surprised.

“Yes, and Ms Connors.” Hinata continued. “Akio also has connections in Britain. If we approach it from a number of angles, we can likely find out who is behind it. If they are prepared to sell to someone other than the Japanese, all the better. If not… well, we can leverage other things than money.”

“Since Chase is not involved in the sale, so long as it isn’t secret dealings by one of our clients, there would be no conflict of business ethics.” Jennifer said slowly. “And it would earn us favour from Japan.”

“I don’t know what I can do… but…” Buck frowned, thinking. “I do know a person or two on the Poker circuit. I can put out the feelers…”

“Then it all depends on you, Akio.” Hinata looked into my eyes. “It’s not something we can force. I know just how dangerous these things can be. I remember poor Eri, after she returned from Kyoto.”

It was then the elder Shiraishi, Nozomi-san, stopped trembling, looking at me with eyes holding a mixture of confusion and wariness. “Why? Why would you help me, help us? Because Fujiwara-sama or the other Grandfathers wish it?”

“You put on the uniform and came here.” Hinata said, shaking her head. “We told you, didn’t we? You’re Akio’s now, and he’ll never abandon those under his care. Strive to serve him well and enjoy the rewards.”

I knew there was a reason I’ve seen the uniforms around. Again, I trust Hinata and the others. If they aren’t giving me the full picture, there’s a reason for it. It’s not like I tell the girls every risk I take either, but… “it’s not about serving me. It’s about working together. You know that Hinata.” I chided her gently, and she flushed, though her eyes looked happy. Turning to the Shiraishi sisters, I spoke reassuringly.

“I don’t know if I can help with your family problems. The situation is dangerous. But if it’s something I can do with a reasonable chance of success, I will. After all, you’re school friends with Hinata, Motoko, Natsumi, Miyu and the others, right?”

Nozomi-san exchanged a look with Hinata, who seemed amused. After a moment, Nozomi-san turned to me and bowed deeply, which looked a bit comical in her uniform. “I see. It’s clear to me now.” As her sister murmured her name in surprise, Nozomi-san continued. “It’s just like at Hanafubuki. We daughters were always so conscious of the status of each other, be it daughter of a great house of the Fifty-Seven, one of the Three-Hundred, or even just a bodyguard. But that’s changing. Your bodyguard, she sits with you freely, and talks to Fujiwara-sama and even Ichijou-sama without care. Just like…” she touched the cap on her head, before making up her mind. “I see your intentions now, Hinata-sama. I am sorry for doubting you. You wish to show we are all equal. And that your fiancé truly cares for all.” She bowed to me again. “I, Shiraishi Nozomi, am a member of Adamant. And like the name, I will… not be broken. You too, Arisa.”

The younger sister seemed less convinced, but she too bowed. “Like Nozomi, I’ll do my part. If… if you could reclaim the Tengokusentou…” She was stopped by her sister, nearly jumping in surprise as she grabbed her hand. Apologetically, Nozomi bowed to me again.

“Please forgive Arisa, she’s still young. We would not dare make demands of you. Merely we hope for your grace. We would… would be proud to serve.”

“Now you get it.” Hinata’s smile was teasing. “There’s hope for you yet, Nozomi-san. I told you, it’s an honour to be chosen. Because it means you have value. And if you don’t see it, then we’ll teach you.” She turned to me then. “Sorry Akio. Adamant is a group we’ve been forming. All for you.”

“I know. You’re always thinking of me. All of you. Just… don’t overdo it, all right?” I warned, and she giggled happily.

“Don’t worry, we know how to choose the right people, and we’d rather die than cause you problems!” she declared proudly. “We’re just growing your support base.”

“It’s all very interesting, isn’t it?” Buck said to Jennifer, who pursed her lips.

“Yes, though again I can’t help but think we are learning secrets we should otherwise not. It seems we now have no choice but to go along with them now.”

As everyone talked, I thought on the information I knew about the Korean situation. It’s going to be messy. If it was just a case of powerful opponents, I’d be confident, but… there’s something missing. If they’ve deployed their own Chosen before, then… No, it was premature to decide. Information was what was needed, and I hoped that whatever offer Park Do-yun brought to the table, it was supported with the knowledge we needed…

 

********

 

“I thank you for coming.” The middle-aged man said, as he sat down. He was going grey around the temples, and he looked small and wrinkled, older than his years, perhaps because of worry and stress. He was wearing a suit that I could now tell was expensive and custom-tailored, and his watch was a very expensive one, a Korean brand that was up-and-coming. Perhaps his suit is Korean made as well. If so, it shows great pride in his country. So to seek out a foreigner, especially a Japanese person, for support… “I see there are a few strange guests. I requested a private meeting.” He finished acerbically, though his tone was weak and his voice trembled with fatigue. “Don’t just stand there, introduce yourself.” He said to the young woman who came in with him.

“All right, all right.” She said, clearly uncomfortable. She was a couple of years younger than me, by the looks of it, of average height for an Asian woman, with a decent figure and a pretty face, though she was wearing makeup that was a touch bold for my tastes. Her brown hair was tinted with blonde highlights and curled artfully, and her own dress suit was similarly expensive, with a pink shirt underneath her jacket, and the skirt she was wearing showed off her lower legs, which were lengthened by the high heels she was wearing. “Pleased to meet everyone. I’m Park Yu-mi.”

She doesn’t sound pleased. I’m a little surprised she’s here. “I’ll do our introductions. Since I’m an old hand at business.” Kenji-san said, and he went through everyone briefly. “…and lastly we have my granddaughter, Takatsukasa Hinata, of the proud lineage of Takatsukasa House, and her fiancé, the man you wished to meet, Oshiro Moonstone Akio.”

“I would say it’s a pleasure, but… nothing about this is joyful.” Park Do-yun frowned. We were all conversing in English as it was the common language of business, and he looked at Buck and Jennifer. “And not something outsiders should be involved in.” He then turned to the Shiraishi sisters and Hinata. “Nor little girls. These are serious, adult matters.”

“I think you misunderstand, Park-ssi.” Hinata also adopted her grandfather’s manner of address. “I may be young, but I have seen more than you. After all, my fiancé is a Chosen of great power. And I…” she gestured, and a ruby light flickered in her palm, a small bullet of stone, the size of a fingertip, soaring towards the ceiling before dissipating. “…understand more than you know. Besides, if you wish to seek Akio’s aid, then I need to be here to represent his best interests.” She nodded at her grandfather, who continued.

“Hinata is right, I’m afraid, Park-ssi. We have our reasons, and you are the one seeking our help. Your government has already offered much for support, and you must have heard those with sons and daughters at Choe-Museon have been petitioning Japan for aid. But we haven’t accepted so far. Do you know why?”

“Of course I know. I am not a fool, Fukumoto-san.” He replied tersely. His daughter Park Yu-mi was idly filing her fingernails, though she looked tense and bitter as well. “The issue is the danger. But… everything has a price, and I know what has been offered so far. I am smarter than that.”

“I don’t think you can put a price on Akio’s safety.” Hinata disagreed. “This isn’t a simple matter, is it? Besides, if he does accept the offer of your government when they meet our demands, won’t your problem be solved?”

“No. For reasons I will explain. So for now, please watch.” He produced a tablet computer from inside his jacket, placing it flat on the table. “Firstly, I offer information. It turns out that there were some little rats scurrying about, trying to get themselves killed for mere entertainment.” He snorted bitterly. “Fortunately it was I who scooped them up, not the army or the government. They have their uses, even if they’ve broken their word to me.” Tapping the tablet, a video was playing, of a slender man with dark olive skin, brown hair and eyes, and an intense expression. He was wearing what looked like the sort of outfit a war correspondent for a major news channel might wear, even down to an ill-fitting bulletproof vest, and he was talking in a foreign language, to someone who was clearly holding the camera, before he switched to heavily accented, rather ponderous English. “All right then, don’t miss a thing, Sophia! And you can stop grumbling at me! This is the scoop of a lifetime, and now we even have a backer, so you don’t have to keep paying for everything.”

“You worthless layabout of a brother!” she ranted. “You don’t even have any shame in dragging me halfway across the world, spending money I don’t have. I’m going to lose my job, and then where will we be?” Her words were translated by captions on the screen, as she was speaking Greek, seemingly.

“But I was right! First the Rachsüchtiger Geist…he stumbled over the German pronunciation. “…and this too! We’ve seen so much. But not enough. So be quiet and hold the camera steady!” As more Greek was spoken by the woman Sophia, captions mostly just bad language and complaints, the scene changed, and they were viewing a campus in the distance, the whole area having been fenced off with rivers of trenches, filled with barbed wire and bunkers. Military vehicles were parked everywhere, and soldiers had set up temporary barracks in a number of places. It’s like a fortress, just… the outside is against the inside…

“I am very grateful to our benefactor, who managed to get us a position as support staff for the encampment here.” He praised shamelessly, which had little to do with what he was filming. Sophia complained that she ended up doing endless hours of cleaning, cooking and other chores, while he did nothing, and he shrugged, his handsome face twisting into a smile.

“It’s all for a good cause. Now… zoom in.” The camera must have been a very expensive model, as it had telescopic magnification, and the images, while hardly perfect, were still mostly clear, with some graininess in the fine details. Overhead a large surveillance drone, with a ten-metre wingspan, swooped over. “They’re going again.” He said cheerfully. “Think it’ll be different to last time?”

“They have to run out of ammunition soon in there.” Sophia said, captions again translating her words. “But then…”

Gunfire came from one of the campus buildings, the loud rattle of machinery shockingly loud, despite the distance. Obviously some sort of heavy weapon. Though I’d imagine hitting a drone flying at that speed, even at low altitude… not easy. The unmanned drone returned fire, launching some small missiles, which surprised me, only for them to explode into a cloud of gas rather than flames and debris.

“…they’ve tried that already.” The woman sighed. A vortex formed, and the smoke was sucked in, while from another direction a brilliant flash shone for a moment, and one wing of the drone was torn off, and it crashed, turning into scattered debris in an instant.

“What else can they do, dear sister?” The man remarked. “Try and see if you can spot them.” The camera image scrolled wildly, and at one window a glimpse of a haggard man in military fatigues was seen, lowering a burned hand, flesh so withered and scorched that it was little more than bones, traces of shimmering light playing around it. The worst thing was his eyes though, devoid of reason and pain, and his mouth, which was twisted into a bloody snarl, his thin lips a mess of savage bitemarks.

“I have him. By the Virgin mother, he gives me the creeps.” The camera shook, perhaps as the woman holding it was shuddering. “No, they all do. Both the angry lunatics and the cold-eyed drones.”

The conversation went on for a while longer, before the footage ended. As it did, Park Do-yun brought up some further short videos, detailing the attempts of the South Korean military and Chosen to regain control of the school. The Shiraishi sisters were looking away as it was fairly grizzly stuff, with soldiers going mad and turning on each other, and Chosen abilities running amok. “After a disaster where the police that were sent to free the hostages at the school ended with them dead or betraying us, the government tried to starve them out, but… Choe-Museon prides itself on being utterly isolated from the modern world except for the short holidays when students return home. It builds character, free from distractions.” Park Do-yun sighed. “It seems that as the number of students… alive…” the word seemed pulled from his throat. “…dwindled, and the fact that the school keeps a large, stocked warehouse, plus some other events… they had enough to last them. Power was cut, but the school has backup generators, and they use minimum electricity. The same with water. Once it was clear that the disturbance couldn’t be resolved by peaceful means, the army was the next suggestion. It went poorly.”

“I can see that.” I nodded. “And then Chosen were called in, right? And they too fell victim. But… there’s a few things I don’t get.” I mused, wanting to understand. “Firstly, there seem to be two opposing sides to this. Which makes me wonder… have the Chosen tried raiding the Boundary and destroying the Territories within? If they are rivals so close together, I can’t imagine it would have been safe to upgrade past Rank two. Secondly…” I pointed to the still image of the man with the ruined hand, and then several other images. “These ones seem to have no sense of self-preservation, but if that’s the case shouldn’t that side obviously lose as its soldiers are used up recklessly?” Something seems off…

Park Yu-mi sighed softly, still buffing her nails, trying to appear aloof. Her father spoke again. “Yes, the situation has worsened, certainly. Ever since those you call Chosen got involved, at the behest of concerned parents and the wretched government. Some were killed, others turned… and now it’s truly Hell on Earth in there.” He took a deep, shuddering breath. “We’ve footage of such abominable crimes. To think my sister’s son…”

“Do you even know if he’s alive?” Kenji-san asked, and Park Do-yun brought up another picture, of a young boy through a window. There was a resemblance, though his eyes were vacant and he was all skin and bones, looking as if he hadn’t eaten properly in weeks.

“He is. This was taken four days ago. Though he is not himself, whether driven by hunger or worse…” A faint tear trickled down one pale cheek. “Fortunately, he is on the side the military have dubbed the zombie side. The other side, the rage side… it’s too horrific to show with girls present.” He paused, gathering his thoughts. “Our government has mishandled the situation badly. I know you sympathise, as Kyoto led to many voices calling for change and people in charge to take responsibility. But… now our government has lost control of the Chosen. They even have started banding together, forming groups they call Guilds.” He scoffed bitterly. “They read too many manhwas as children, I expect. They will be intervening soon. A last-ditch effort, or else…”

“A clean sweep?” Buck guessed, and Park Do-yun nodded bitterly.

“Yes, either we succeed in liberating the victims and bring the perpetrators to justice, or else there will be no more choice. Even with the status of the children inside and the pressure from their families… time is running out.” He looked at me then. “After many of my peers raised troops, even foreign mercenaries and these Chosen, and did little but cause more death and feed the mad slaves that defend Choe-Museon, the government forbade any intervention they do not sanction, but these Hunter Guilds are their last chance. Instead of acting like good citizens and doing their duty, they now run like their own private Chaebols, despite only being less than a month old. The government and us grieving parents have no choice but to pay them, despite their skills being unproven. So… I would turn to you. You fought for Britain and triumphed. And your question about Territories… I don’t understand it, but it shows you comprehend the situation.” He shook his head. “The government sees it the same, you would be welcomed in the operation, but with you or without you, the final strike will go ahead. If it fails… with so many of our own dead or worse, South Korea can only decline.”

“Exactly.” Katsuro-san said, nodding fierce agreement. “Which is why asking us to risk some of our best is hopelessly naïve. But… again, you were correct in what you said earlier. For every risk, there can be corresponding reward. But if we accept the terms of the government, what can you offer, and what do you want?”

“What I want… is for you to prioritise saving my nephew Yu-jun. He’s my precious nephew, the only memento of my dear, departed sister.” He implored us. “I owed it to her to raise him right, so he could be the heir of the Doosan group. So I pulled some strings and had him sent to Choe-Museon to build character, just as I did when I was young. Since only a handful of people knew his relationship to me, and he was as brilliant as my sister, he was thought of as just a scholarship student with a bright future. Lacking a background, he would have a tough time, but adversity makes a man…”

I thought back to my own musings on this very subject earlier and sighed. You’re not wrong, but it’s cruel to a young boy. One point is that his lineage isn’t well-known… I glanced at Hinata and Kenji-san, and I could see the gears turning in their heads as they processed this too.

“I know it’s selfish, to put my own flesh and blood ahead of the other poor survivors, but… if I pay enough of a price…” he bowed deeply. “Help me, I beg you. I don’t trust these Hunter Guilds, from what I know they take themselves far too seriously and look at the sad losses so far as mere fools beneath them. Arrogance against the powers that control Choe-Museon… no, instead I want to buy a miracle, just as London did!”

“Buy how?” Hinata asked, curious, glancing over at the woman in front of her, who was still working on her nails, pretending not to listen.

“It’s simple. I watched your interviews, all of them. London and the show the other day.” He said to me, having gathered his resolve. “I understand your desires. My… my daughter is prepared to marry you, and with her will come a dowry of twenty percent of the Doosan group, to use as you see fit. In addition, I can use my connections to press the government, make them increase their compensation to your satisfaction. But I know you are a man of appetites, and my daughter, she is beautiful, clever and obedient. She would be no disgrace.” He took a breath, while Hinata looked at me and then Park Yu-mi, chortling to herself. “I also have my people on the inside, who have been gathering information. I know you worry about risk, and I would hardly trust our government or military if I was in your position. But despite their personalities, they have good fortune and are clever, and have documented a lot of information. I have it all for you here, and by the time you arrive there, they will have gathered more.” He finished, almost pleading. “If you have any other requirements, just speak, and if I can meet them, I will!”

Park Do-yun is a caring man. He obviously cherishes his nephew and the sister who was taken from him unfairly. I like that. However… I knew it was my own fault, but I was feeling rather annoyed. “Do-yun… I can call you more familiarly, right?” I asked, and he nodded. “I’m going to go into another room and talk to your daughter.” She looked up at that, before looking down again, now picking at the loose curled ends of her hair. “But before that… have you heard of the Tengokusentou’s recent situation?”

He looked at me in surprise. “Of course. But…” he looked at us, clearly unwilling to speak, so I cajoled him.

“You’ve already offered me a position as your son-in-law, why be shy now? We need to be honest.”

“You’re right.” Do-yun agreed weakly. He squeezed shut his eyes for a moment, before speaking, worried his words would scupper his chances of my support. “Every Korean businessman of note has heard of the buyout of the treasured hotel our Japanese rivals treasured. When we met, we’d laugh and joke about it, lauding the wit and bravery of the one who swindled one of your premiere families.”

Nozomi-san and Arisa-san were trembling again, but Nozomi-san looked at Hinata and I, trying to keep her calm. “I mean no offense to you girls.” Do-yun continued. “But we of South Korea… we have little love for the Japanese, and less for the powers that have endured from before the Japanese invasions. So we mock and rejoice at your humbling.”

“This is why the nobility must remain strong and united.” Katsuro-san told me. “Because any failures make us seem weak, compromise Japan’s strength. But…” he looked at Do-yun then, asking him the question I was going to. “You expressed the same sentiments, and nobody knows of your relationship to your nephew?”

“Some few of the Board at Choe-Museon, but they are surely dead by now.” He said bitterly. “Other than that, no. As for my dislike of Japan, it is well known. Even in the business world, I have a great rivalry with Ichijou Heavy Industries.”

“I see. In that case…” I began, and Hinata laughed.

“We’ve got this. It’s obvious what to do from here. For now, why don’t you go have this little chat?” she said, and with that I got up, the taciturn young woman following me. In the next room, I offered her a seat, before sitting down myself. For a moment I frowned, before she spoke, still toying with her hair.

“I guess at least you’re handsome. I saw you on TV.” she said with a sigh.

Yeah, just as I thought. “Miss Yu-mi…” I said, still speaking English. “Let me be honest. Do you even want to marry me?”

She looked up at me then, a smile on her face. I had to admit she was fairly pretty, the sort of girl I’d definitely have looked twice at in the past. Although now I’m surrounded by gorgeous girls I think I have some immunity. “Honestly? Obviously I don’t.” She didn’t hide her feelings. “I get that you’re an important person, and like I said, your looks are a bonus, but I don’t know you. You’re not even Korean. No, that’s rude of me… sorry.” She let out a sigh. “I shouldn’t be like dad. He dislikes the Japanese a lot. So you should feel proud he turned to you in his hour of need, and would even accept you as his son-in-law. Me, I’m his daughter, but… he never sent me to Choe-Museon. I’m grateful, I’d have hated it.” Once she started, words poured out of her. “I’m just enjoying life, you know? I’ve dated a few guys, nothing serious.” She blinked, realising what she said. “I’m still a virgin, don’t worry about that. If you marry me, I’d come to the bridal bed pure. I know my own value. But… I don’t want to marry someone with eleven other women. Sorry. But I don’t have a choice, I guess. I have to make the best of it, and you seem nicer than I thought you’d be. So, I promise I’ll do my best to be unobtrusive, give you kids, whatever. I just hope I can continue living my life happily like I am now, as much as possible, though of course I’ll cater to your tastes.”

Finally, a normal reaction! “What do you mean you have to?” I shook my head. “Your father doesn’t speak for you. I have a sister, you know.” She looked at me as if she didn’t know what the relevance was. “If she was being forced into a marriage against her will, you’d better believe I’d put a stop to it, no matter the cost.” At my words, she understood. “But don’t get the wrong impression. Hinata, the girl in there, she was an arranged marriage for me. I’ve had another couple too, and I’ve grown to love them all deeply. So it’s not something that’s wrong. But both sides have to agree, have to gain, have to… well, get to like each other, I guess?” Bell and Soliteare, it reminds me of them, this conversation. I guess I should definitely be nicer to them.

“But dad cares so much for my cousin. I’ve barely even spent any time with Yu-jun. But dad really loved his sister, my aunt. Just as you love your sister.” She sighed. “I remember her, poor woman. I was small when she went away, and I didn’t understand. But dad… he mourns. I… I don’t mind making a sacrifice to make dad happy again. I owe him a lot. I’m not a spoilt rich kid. I know without dad’s money, I couldn’t live like I do. So this would just be compensation. I can’t say I was thrilled, I shed some tears, but… I’m a filial daughter in the end.”

I mind.” I proclaimed, and her brown eyes widened at the vehemence in my tone. “I hate sacrifices, so I’ll not force one on you, Miss Yu-mi. I’m not a hero, not really. I just wipe away the sadness I see, rather than going looking for it. I’m a realist. I could spend my whole life righting wrongs the world over, but that would be a sin in itself, as to do it I’d have to sacrifice the happiness of my friends and family, my lovers, stealing time from them we should be spending happily together. However…”

“However?” Yu-mi looked at me, her eyes moist.

“I’m not good at ignoring people who love their family. Now, I’m not promising I’ll be able to help. I need to talk it over with everyone, weigh up whether the risks match what we stand to gain. But I will weigh up the happiness and safety of your cousin in the gain category. So don’t worry. Even without your hand in marriage, I’m sure we’ll find some other way for your father to pay us back.”

“I see.” She said after a while. “That’s… rather decent of you. Not what I’d expect from a man with so many lovers. I’m a bit surprised. But… are you sure you can turn me down? I don’t wish for this, but… I wouldn’t make you hate me. I’m a pragmatic girl, so long as you didn’t mistreat me I’d be fun company. Besides, I’m as cute as the girls out there.”

Not quite. But I admit you’re pretty. Smart too. “As her fiancé, I believe Hinata is one of the eleven most beautiful girls in the world. Uh… honestly, this might sound weird, but make that twelve. I can’t lie and say my sis isn’t beautiful either.”

Yu-mi let out a relieved giggle. “You’re strange. I’m actually really confused right now. I gathered all my courage, accepted it in my heart, and now you are telling me I’m not as cute as your sister? Is this how you attracted your women? I have to admit… I’m starting to get curious about you.”

“Nothing wrong with that. I have plenty of female friends I’m not in love with.” I assured her. “So if you wanted to be friends, that’s fine, and I’m sure I’d appreciate it.” I reached out a hand, and she shook it, a faint blush on her cheeks and neck. Her hand is warm.

“Dad’s going to be upset.” she said, and I shrugged.

“Don’t worry about it. You made it clear you are more than prepared to do what he thought you needed to. If he takes it out on you, it won’t exactly help his case. I’ll talk to him honestly.” I assured her.

“Fine then. But… now I’m starting to feel hurt, it’s strange.” She pouted, her eyes now showing a mixture of relief and amusement. “I must be crazy. Now it stings you turned me down. You know… I’m between boyfriends right now. So I’m free for a date after you finish your business in Korea. I can show you a good time in Gangnam. If you’ve never been, it’s fun!”

Damn, who understands women? She told me plain she didn’t want to marry me, now she’s asking me on a date? I was sure I was keeping my Charm controlled… I did it by habit now, although perhaps my will slipped as I was using most of my concentration in the Boundary, performing a mixture of crafting and aether replenishment on the girls.

“Uh, we’ll put that thought on hold.” I promised awkwardly, before we talked a little bit more about each other, just some harmless facts and tales, giving Kenji-san, Katsuro-san and Hinata time to negotiate for me. Leaving the room, I met Hinata’s eyes and she gave me a thumbs up.

“It seems settled then.” I said and Do-yun nodded.

“Yes, I will be the spearhead in reclaiming the Tengokusentou. I believe it can be done. After all, my dislike of Japan is known. If I work hard, I can find out who is behind the group that exploited the Shiraishi family. Especially with such helpers.” He looked at Jennifer and Buck. “Now, Yu-mi, is everything all right?” He seemed nervous, as if worried she had offended me, and he seemed relieved when his daughter smiled brightly, only for his face to fall at her words.

“Yes, it’s on hold.”

“What? On hold?” he said, and Yu-mi repeated herself.

“Are you going deaf, dad? It’s on hold. I said I didn’t want to marry him, and he accepted that, no problem. But…” she twirled her hair with her perfectly manicured nails. “…it’s not like he’s not interesting. And I was a bit moved by his words to me. So… it’s not like it’s off. You wouldn’t want me to be seen as easy, right dad?”

“That’s Akio.” Hinata giggled. “Can’t even turn a girl down without winning her over. Eri’s going to be angry again.”

“Hey, it’s not like you should worry. We’re not getting married, we sort of turned each other down. Damn, he’s right, you are super cute.” Yu-mi laughed, looking at Hinata properly for the first time. “I think I’d fit right in though. But… honestly, you’re lucky. I thought anyone who had so many women would be a playboy, a selfish jerk. But… okay, sure. He’s selfish, but it’s coming out a place of love for you all.”

“You have good senses. Hmm.” Hinata mused. “All right. Fortunately, we don’t need you or your dowry, but…” Hinata held out a hand. “Want to be friends? If you are interested in Akio and his life, I can show you the ropes? Not just anyone can be one of his women, it takes the right sort, strong, smart and driven.”

“Yeah, I’m definitely interested now.” Yu-mi winked, her bored, detached expression from before having vanished. “Maybe he’s no good after all, and I’m just being fooled by his honeyed words, but… I came here expecting to stay. Maybe even be pushed down and have to give up a free sample of my body this very day, you know? It’s not like I could say no.”

“Akio would never do that. He’s lusty…” Hinata flushed, remembering her first time, her smile radiant. “…but only because it’s cherishing those he loves. Now… let’s set this aside for later. Any objections, Park-ssi?”

“No.” he shook his head, confused by the rejection of his daughter and her dowry. “If I have offended, I apologise…”

“I’m not offended. You’re not the first, and you won’t be the last. I’ve even got an elven Prince trying to foist granddaughters on me through a similar arrangement. But I don’t accept those anymore. However, I also don’t close my mind to the girls presented that way.” Not anymore. I’m now secure in myself and my own feelings. I know the path to happiness, for me, and for those that love me. It’s to be true to myself, and true to the feelings of those who like me. Fairly and without worrying about how others see it. Though sometimes it still surprises me, how accepting people can be.

“I’m glad. If… if you can save little Yu-jun, I’ll take you out and hit the clubs to celebrate. I don’t usually loosen up when drunk, but… who knows, it’ll be a happy occasion.” She winked at me, before addressing her father, serious. “Honestly, dad… we’re asking far too much. I know you love Yu-jun but Akio-oppa has people he loves too. So… he needs to be sure everyone agrees. If he says no, you have to accept it.” Oppa, huh? That’s an endearment for an older guy, right? It doesn’t actually have to mean a real brother. Being addressed so made me feel itchy, but it wasn’t unpleasant.

“Yu-mi… I’m surprised. I felt so bitter I was bartering your future, but I was so proud you’d offer your happiness for your cousin. Yet now looking at you…” Do-yun was looking at his daughter with an expression of pride mixed with self-loathing. “…you seem so mature, so composed.”

“I am a grown woman, dad.” She pouted. “And so I’ll make my choice, as will he. But…” she looked at Hinata then. “…if everyone is as good as you, I’m sure they’ll choose to let him go, trusting in him, right?”

“Yes, you’re of course right.” Hinata agreed. “So, Akio, what’s your call?”

“My gut is to go for it. I’m worried, especially because the enemy uses mind-affecting powers. I know how scary those can be, Shaeula has proved it, and hers aren’t that strong. But I want everyone to talk it out. We’ll have to be quick, but…”

“That’s not so difficult.” Hinata agreed, getting out her phone. “You can tell the ones in the Boundary. It’s time for our own mini-Conclave. I’m still upset the nobility missed out on that so I couldn’t go.”

“In that case, Park-ssi, you have work to do yourself.” Kenji-san said, and as he bowed, relieved, pulling out his own mobile to make a call, I met his eyes, and now I could see approval.

“I am starting to think perhaps I did my daughter wrong, and not in the way I had imagined, but by not giving her a chance to impress you on her own merits.” He sighed. “I am a terrible father. But I want to be a good uncle. So I implore you… please, help me.”

 

I hope I can. But first… we need to make sure that the South Korean government and the other families who asked for aid pay their dues. Hinata won’t extort too much from grieving families, she knows it’ll just upset me, but she will get a fair price for the risk I’ll be taking. Meeting Yu-mi’s eyes, as she watched quietly, she smiled, nodding at me reassuringly, and once more I found myself amazed at the way my life was going, these past few months. Nothing ever goes quite as I expect it. But then, fortunately I’m not alone. Though for this mission… there’s not many I can take with me, is there?

So yeah, we're very close to some action now, aren't we? Akio tried his best, but sometimes it's a problem being too persuasive *smile*

But that aside, Akio has some misgivings about Choe-Museon. Will his instincts be spot on? I guess we'll see very soon, On Dragonball Z Astral Tides... 

29