Four Hundred And Forty-Seven
760 4 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, what’s all this about?” my sis said, as she had inveigled herself into the meeting I was having with my girls atop Asha’s Rhyming Tree. “it’s not like you to look so serious, bro.”

Hinata let out a little laugh at that, and started to explain. I interjected where necessary, and soon we had covered everything. Eri was the first to speak, her hand tightly clenched around the goblet of brilliantly scarlet fruit juice she was drinking. “That’s… a lot to take in. So, this Yu-mi girl… you properly turned her down, right? It doesn’t sound like it.”

“I did.” I promised her. “Though I have to say, she’s not a bad girl, I can tell. I think she’d make a decent friend for you all.”

Eri rolled her eyes, looking at Hinata. “So, I’m curious. Why do you think she changed her tune so quickly? I know Akio is very charming, and the fact he isn’t always aware of it makes him shine brighter, but… it still seems a strange thing, her not rejecting it outright.”

“Is it so strange?” Hinata giggled. “I think it’s just human psychology.”

“I get it.” Shiro said. “Sorry Eri, but it’s actually rather normal. She grudgingly agreed to something she really didn’t want to do, for her family. She likely agonised over it, felt dreadful. But then she was told she didn’t have to do it after all. The relief must have been intense. But people are complicated. Shit, we know it, right? Else we wouldn’t all be here with Aki.” Her laugh was slightly bitter, but her smile showed she had no regrets. “What I think is when she talked to Aki, she realised what sort of a person he was, and the doubts started creeping in. I was prepared, and now I don’t have to, but maybe it’d be better if I actually did, would I be missing out? Fortunately it’ll probably fade in time. If it doesn’t… well, that’s up to Aki, isn’t it?”

“I think there are more pressing matters to worry about.” Daiyu said, changing the subject. Her Japanese was getting more fluent by the day, as even a couple of hours of tutoring with her memory and stats were enough to fill in the few gaps she had. Now we barely have to translate any words at all for her. “This battle seems rather dangerous.”

“Yes, but… I’m not sure how it is different to before.” My sis chimed in, only for Tsukiko to answer for me.

“His bravery in saving the Princess of Humans, Eleanor… that was motivated by my foreknowledge. I do feel a certain amount of regret.” she confessed. “My words have led to great danger. But it was resolved without disaster, fortunately. However, this situation in South Korea, while undoubtedly a sad tragedy… it does not imperil us or the world. Therefore he queries if the risk is one he should bear, not wishing to burden us with worry.”

“She’s right.” I agreed. “Every risk I’ve taken has had good reason behind it. Fighting for Tsukiko and Yukiko-san in Kyoto, for Eleanor in Britain, the need for securing fire element that led us to mount Atago… but this… yes, my heart aches for the dead and worse, but it’s not a situation that demands my action. The South Korean government can resolve it through deadly force if they are pushed to it, though they don’t want to for obvious reasons.”

“Yes. It would be like sacrificing Hanafubuki and the students within.” Motoko mused. “Those in power could do it, but the repercussions would be terrible. The nobility would never forgive those who destroyed their bloodlines.”

“I get it.” Kana sighed. “It’s so very you, Akio. You want to do it, but you think it’s dangerous, and you worry about what will happen if you fail. But will you? Aren’t you strong?”

I took a deep breath, considering. “To be honest, I think I’ll win. I’m confident that there’s very few Chosen who’ve pushed themselves as much as I have to grow stronger, and while I started far behind everyone else, that was actually a strength, I think. Ortlinde did say taking the easy way would limit growth in the end.”

“I don’t like this Ortlinde.” Eri said to Shiro, who snorted a laugh. “I can’t help but worry…”

It was Tan who responded for her. “You think very highly of him, that a Valkyrie, one of the warriors one step below the Divinities of that Pantheon, who dwell far from here and have endured endless centuries of time, would be interested in him as a man.” Tan paused. “If he becomes an Astral Emperor and guides this world out into the higher Astral, then perhaps you would have cause to fear, yet…” she smiled, the expression not Shiro’s usual one, looking strange on her face. “…you foolishly made that wager, so it is not to be. Do not regret it.”

“We don’t. We believe in Aki.” Shiro took over. “Come on now, Eri. This is serious.”

“So are my worries.” Eri admitted. Her black tail was lashing fitfully. “But Akio is right.”

“Yes.” Natsumi agreed. “We’ve seen it in action, haven’t we Motoko, Kana-san? So there’s more to your worries, isn’t there?”

“It’s the mind control. Now I’m confident I won’t be affected, but look at it this way. If I am… it’ll be an utter disaster. The risks might be small but the consequences are huge. It’s like a nuclear meltdown. The chances of it happening are tiny, but if it does then the death toll and fallout would be catastrophic. And for the rest of you…”

“Yes, it does look like we can’t come with you.” Kana agreed. “But do you even need us? If you can handle it yourself, then do it.”

“Let us look-look at what we know.” Shaeula pointed out, gratefully taking another glass of wine from Hyacinth. “There are two opposing Chosen, each with their own-own flavour of cursed power, both affecting the mind. They have been fighting since the start, and have claimed many-many slaves by the foolish actions of this Korean government. That is it succinctly, is it not-not?”

“Yes. So looking at it… they’ll have gained a certain measure of strength fighting each other, but their opportunities should have been limited, especially in terms of Territorial growth. I’m not too interested in taking them out, I want to rescue the hostages. Though obviously stopping them at source is best.” I continued, putting my thoughts into words. “I’m not sure of the quality of the Korean Chosen, these Hunters. If they were the sort from the manhwa’s that obviously inspired them, well, then I’d be reassured.” I smiled ruefully. “So it’s best not to expect much and be pleasantly surprised.”

“Worse, you have to consider they could end up as a liability.” Motoko frowned. “Grandfather says there is nothing worse in battle than uncertain allies. Even a competent enemy is better.”

“Yes, so I’ll need to act alone, or with very limited support.” I agreed. “Fortunately I have one big advantage. I’m using it now.”

“Yeah, you can be in two places at once.” My sis laughed. She was right, as I was currently here in the Boundary discussing matters with my girls, while I was also meeting with the Prime Minister alongside Motoko’s grandfather, Fujiwara-san and Ichijou-san, and several other politicians, as we had a direct video link to the Blue House in Korea, negotiating our terms. Meanwhile, Hinata’s grandfather and several other of my allies were cutting deals with the South Koreans who had been desperate to hire me separately. “Damn, I wish I could do that, it’d be super handy. I can train and have fun at the same time!” she finished, her tone jealous.

“It’s likely not impossible. Though it’s not as fun as you think. I’ve had more terrible headaches since I became a Faeduine than I’ve ever had squinting at screens and working for hours on end. But… what I can do, we can replicate, even if it’s tough.” I looked at Shiro then. “I imagine it’s not uncommon in the upper Astral, right Tan?”

“Not uncommon? It is not so commonplace as you surmise, but yes, Omnipresence is a trait of the Divine, to an extent, and there are creatures that can split their bodies, clone themselves or perform other such feats. But we are straying far from the subject.” she warned me, not interested in idle chatter.

“Yeah, I guess so. Oh well, work hard sis, and who knows what you’ll achieve. So, where was I?” I continued. “Oh yes, the situation. They won’t be able to protect both their Territory and the Material at the same time, whereas I can strike at both. If they only have Rank two’s as I surmise, I can smash their barriers and find their Anchors very quickly, likely before they can respond. That should take them out, if they aren’t protecting them. If they are… well, at that point I can start saving the victims in the Material and bring them out. Once they’re all out of hostages, the situation changes in our favour.”

“It sounds like you have it in hand then, Aki. So why the hesitation?” Shiro pressed, and I answered honestly.

“Because unlike Tsukiko, who I genuinely wanted to save, I don’t know any of these people, so putting them ahead of our happiness and potentially risking myself… it feels wrong. I worry that if I screw up, it’ll be all of you who will grieve.”

Eri and my sis exchanged long looks, before my sis snickered nastily. “It’s been a while, but big bro moonstone is back.”

“I like that. I never did mock Aki over his middle name enough.” Shiro laughed, and Eri took over.

“Look, an Akio who isn’t willing to step up and save people isn’t Akio. I’m proud of you, and…” she looked around, her black eyes hard. “…there isn’t anyone here who would criticise him, is there?”

“Nooot Hyacinth. He had no reason to save me, but he did. And nooow I am happy at long last. But…” she warned me. “…just as I serve yooou, and care for you, and mistress Tsukiko wishes to be with yooou… those you save will need to repay you. Nooot that they have to serve as I dooo… but you cannot give of yourself to all, yooou are right to prioritise those that looove you!”

“I do not disagree.” Asha said, softly touching her belly. I had noticed her doing that a lot recently, and I wasn’t such a fool as to misunderstand. But that was something I wasn’t ready to face just yet. But it’s one more reason I have to be sure of what I do. If I’m right and Asha is… then I have even more responsibility to stay alive, to not risk myself needlessly. Of course, the Fae weren’t exactly human, so I might well have been jumping to the wrong conclusions, as Asha hadn’t said anything. But even without that, my resolve wouldn’t change.

“I cannot aid you in this endeavour.” Asha sighed. “I am unsuited. But you do wish support, I know. You feel worried going alone.” She read my concerns, and I nodded.

“Yeah, whether it’s my Foresight, or I’m just paranoid, I couldn’t tell you. But I get a feeling there’s more to this than we are being told. If it was mount Atago, I’d be confident taking any of you, but… this isn’t a war of strength.”

“Yes. Natsumi and I…” Motoko glanced at her friend, who nodded. “…we would be liabilities here. Unable to do anything but add to your worries.” She clenched one fist, aggrieved. “Do not think it will be this way forever. Until I can stand at your side without making you worry, as a good wife should, I will work tirelessly!”

“Me too!” Natsumi promised. “Together! I refuse to be constantly left at home all the time. But this time… yeah, I don’t want to lose my mind, lose myself. So we’ll cheer you on from here, and be a haven you can come back to when you need to grieve. Not that there’ll be grief this time! I believe in you, we believe in you!”

“I agree with Motoko and Natsumi.” Hinata laughed. “Even I want to come with you, and battle isn’t something I care about. No, my battlefield is here. I’ll join grandfather in extorting more rewards for you after this. But I too would like to see you in action. I bet it would be wonderful.”

“It most certainly is.” Motoko agreed, and as the three of them conversed, Asha departed after giving us all some final reassuring words, saying she had to manage her Tree. “I cannot leave right now. And my skills do not suit your needs. No, you need others. And there are those here who can aid you. Our hopes and wishes go with them and you.”

“I toooooo am useless here. I am better than I was…” Hyacinth said wistfully. “…my mind, it hardly burns at all nooow, and it has been several days since I wished tooo strangle some insolent fool, but… I still have cracks in my mind, Akio. Sooo I could be exploited.”

“Yes, I’m out too. I don’t think I’m particularly mentally strong. Besides, Ixitt would get mad if I hold up the schedule anymore.” Kana giggled. “I’m supposed to be there now.”

“I don’t know why we are all doing the noble thing and declining. Aki knows who he wants, right?” Shiro looked at me shrewdly. “Just like I knew he’d end up going, even if he’s conflicted. Besides… the rewards aren’t just from Korea, right?”

I nodded. “You know me too well.”

“Of course I do. I’ve been watching you for years.” As Shiro preened proudly, Eri snorted at that, though she didn’t sound too displeased, just a little tired. “So out with it. And unless I’m mistaken with all the little glances you’re throwing my way, you want me, right?”

“Actually… it’s more Tan I need.” I admitted, and Eri laughed meanly, enjoying Shiro’s sudden look of bemusement. “After all, Tan, you’d never be defeated by their cheap tricks, would you?”

“Of course not. I allure, I do not become allured.” Tan snorted, Shiro’s eyes glowing red. “But why should I aid you? It is not something I have to do.”

‘”Yeah. But Shiro wants to go, right?” I said, and she crossed her arms under her chest in mock-annoyance.

“Not sure I should after that, Aki. Maybe I’ll hang out with the girls here instead.”

“I know you won’t.” I laughed. “Tan, I just want you to take over if Shiro gets into trouble. I know you can protect her mind as well, right?”

“I can. But as for these others…” she looked at Shaeula. “Perhaps this one might be strong enough to resist. It is a risk though. The providence of Divine Favours can often defy common concepts. Even the strongest warrior can sometimes be felled by a simple thrown rock, when Fortune fails them and Fate intervenes.”

Shaeula grimaced. “It is quite-quite true. If I were to be turned, then it would be a great disaster. While I understand your wish for support, this does seem a circumstance where you should-should go alone, or indeed with Tan, who will never fall for such abilities.”

“Yes, we have to sit this one out.” Eri agreed sadly. “Have you considered taking any of the Fae? We could use Nie Ling to bring them over, like we did Princess Ffionnan.”

“It’s an idea. Another one was to secure a spot in South Korea and have Hyacinth grow a Ring Gate.” I replied. “But I’ve discarded that plan. There’s not enough time. The Korean government is planning to act within days, perhaps even as soon as tomorrow. Every day more of the students die or suffer irreparable damage. As for bringing someone like Ulfuric or Shaeranna… unfortunately they’d be dismissed back to the Boundary quickly as they fought, just like Ffionnan, as Ling’s power isn’t strong enough and has to use their own strength as a catalyst, at least for now. And the Boundary battle should be the easiest, I can handle that myself.”

“Makes sense.” My sis agreed. “So out of everyone, it’s just Shiro… and me. I’m coming too bro!”

“What? No way!” I said, shocked. “Remember Kyoto and Eri? I’m not making that mistake again! Besides, you don’t strike me as mentally resilient.”

“Rude much?” My sis pouted, puffing out her cheeks. “And how could I forget Kyoto? Don’t be a dick bro, I suffered over that, because I pushed for Eri. But this is different. Ta-da!” She summoned a golden sister, the statue looking rather like Natsumi, this time. “You need numbers, right? Numbers that won’t be mind controlled. Well these are statues, golems. They won’t be taken over. Perfect!” She gave me a cheeky thumbs up.

“Yes, but you will!” I pointed out, and she sighed.

“Yeah, which is why I’ll stay back and send the Sisters forwards. They can react on their own.” She paused, a long silence. “At least a bit.”

“That’s no good! We just talked about incompetent allies being no good!” I complained, and she sighed.

“Calling your adorable sister incompetent to her face. You’ve changed bro! Uh… but, I guess…” she looked downcast, so Eri spoke up for her best friend.

“How do you give them orders? Do you have to be close, or does it work if you can see them? If so…”

“Good idea!” my sis gave Eri a hug. “Yeah, I’ve sent them hundreds of metres away and I can still control them, so maybe with binoculars…”

“I don’t like maybe…” I complained. “But it would be reassuring to have some support I can rely on. Especially… as there’s one more person we need to bring. If not for the battle, but for after.” And I don’t want to leave her unprotected. I mean, she can look after herself, but… with the Golden Warriors of Kannon…

“I too wish I could go.” Daiyu frowned, a rare display of petulance from her. “But I am not confident of surviving mental wounds. If it is merely my body… Chang’e’s grace protects me. But I have an idea…” she looked at me then. “Disciple Akio, it is time for you to learn how to craft some Talismans.”

Talismans, huh? Interesting. I had been working on upping my crafting skills here in the Boundary, and I had achieved some small successes, Dvergr Techniques reaching Rank 2, and I also gained Rank 1 in Alchemy. I was also confident I would soon get Faecraft and Mortal Engineering skills as well, and the associated Class. Hey, I wonder if combining those techniques with Cultivation ones would be even better?

 

********

 

“Damn, this is so annoying!” I could hear my sis shouting even from the foot of the Rhyming Tree. We had sent everyone else away during the training, as it wasn’t just Talismans I was learning. Shaeula and Shiro had decided to test my mind, and Shiro didn’t want anyone watching. We had given my sis a spyglass, and she was seeing if she could give effective orders to her troops even at a distance, because if not, she was just a liability.

“Eyes on me. Do not-not look away.” Shaeula grinned with great amusement, jade winds swirling around her. “Now, by the winds, I command you, remove your clothes!”

“Trust her to give a perverted order.” Shiro snorted, as I was bathed in the shining winds. I felt a sudden urge to remove my clothing, even as I was listening to Daiyu, who was instructing me with a quiet, confident voice as I held a calligraphy-style brush in my hand. Who knew Alchemy would be useful so quickly? It’s logical in a way. Just as Qi is derived from aether, at least Earthly Qi, skills would be fairly standard across disciplines, otherwise there’d simply be too many variations. But… I can take a break. I’m tired, and the way Shaeula’s looking at me, she’s eager for lovemaking. I am too. So I’d best…

As my hands unfastened my brigandine, I heard Shaeula snickering, before Motoko, rather apologetically, slammed her practice sword down on my head. The impact, which caused no damage of course, but shocked me for a second, made me clear my mind. Looking down at my bare torso, I flushed, ashamed. “Damn, you got me again, Shaeula. It all seemed so utterly natural as well. I saw you looking adorable and was overcome with lust, so naturally I felt like getting naked and having a tumble with you.” I shivered. “It’s scary how naturally I thought that. Mind control really is awful.”

“Her winds are both uniquely weak and rather pernicious.” Tan declared. “It is not dissimilar to my Alluring The Buddha, in that it functions not as direct control, but on the thoughts and desires of the target. You seek to rationalise the choices through your own actions. It would not be able to make you do anything you would abhor, though… people are malleable.” She snorted sourly. “Acts that one would never countenance can be justified under threat of harm or for gain. Yes, it seems weak, but is actually more fearful than it appears.”

“I am sorry I struck you.” Motoko apologised, before smiling faintly. “But a warrior’s discipline is important. You must not be swayed.”

“Let’s see how you like it!” Shiro laughed, nodding at Shaeula, and soon Motoko was breathing heavily, face flushed, as she was stripping off her hakama and trying to seduce me. As Natsumi tried to calm her down, I went back to attempting to infuse Qi into the ink I had crafted so painstakingly. It was hard work, as my Qi Refining was too high spec, oddly enough, and my base skills in it were low as an additional issue. So I only have tiny amounts, especially compared to Daiyu.

“Talismans are one of the Six Noble Pursuits. You have seen them in action in Kyoto.” Daiyu reminded me. “While we do not have the precise ingredients for the recipe I know, fortunately Asha is able to create very similar plants.” She nodded respectfully at the Dryad, who smiled proudly. She had caused blossoming flowers to grow, and under Daiyu’s instructions, I had ground them down along with silver and several minerals from the mines, and once the mixture was properly thickened to a suitable consistency, I was then to infuse it with Qi. Which is the hard part.

“Can just anyone use them?” Natsumi asked, curious. “If so, it could help those of us who lack strength to fight.”

“It depends on the talisman.” Daiyu said, enjoying the attention and being able to share her knowledge. “They can be keyed to the specific Qi of the creator, or to any triggering Qi. Perhaps even those without Qi could use them, but if so, the Art was not passed down from Kunlun to us. They kept much from us.” she said bitterly. “So, you would need to learn how to Cultivate, to refine Qi, before you can cover your weaknesses, Natsumi.”

Now that Motoko had shaken off Shaeula’s winds and was dressing herself with a face red from embarrassment, not lust, Natsumi was expressing interest. “I look forward to it. Qi strengthens the body, right? And it is not entirely removed from Tsumura Arts. Both require disciple and dedication. And a skilled teacher.” She smiled at Motoko then.

“Talismans enhance the strength of a Cultivator, allowing one to effectively stockpile Qi, though those talismans are inflexible, at least at the levels I know from the archives of the Incorruptible Jade. Conversely, it can cover weaknesses, like here. Qi requires both a pure, trained body, and a strong, impervious mind. It is the mind we wish to strengthen. For emergencies.”

“You mean like when Aki starts stripping?” Shiro chuckled. “Speaking of, it’s my turn next. Damn, this is embarrassing. I can see why you never used it on Daizen or Bunta, or that damn Raven, Tan.” Shiro had changed clothes, and was wearing a dress, rather diaphanous and slightly see-through, covered in ribbons. “Shit, you’d better be grateful I’d embarrass myself for you, Aki!”

“Embarrass?” Tan took over, speaking lazily, one eye red. “Your heart races, but only because you are thrilled he is sneaking looks at your body. Now let out your Allure, prove your worth!”

“I get it. Damn.” Shiro flushed adorably. “Fine. Aki… here goes!” She started to move, shockingly graceful, her long legs and shapely thighs visible through the slits on the dress Hyacinth had quickly prepared for us. Moving closer, my Eye flared and I could see aether rising from her like a heat haze. As she swayed, she started tugging at the ribbons, her dress shifting,, exposing tantalising glimpses of flesh. My lips felt hot and my skin was dripping silvery sweat, but Daiyu was telling me to concentrate. Tearing my eyes away, I continued pouring all my aether in to Qi production, Shaeula using Chirurgery to top me up with hers.

“No fair, Aki.” Shiro whispered, her breath hot in my ear, her breasts, barely hidden by thin cloth, pushed against me. With a playful grin she licked my cheek, and I turned to her, seeing her dress loose, and my mind started to waver. “Melt into me.” Shiro said breathily, her fingers tracing my face, and it was becoming very hard to concentrate on Daiyu’s instructions. A brief flash of orange flared in my vision, announcing an increase in Resilience and Determination, and that was enough for me to flare my League, pushing Shiro’s allure out of my mind for a moment.

“No you don’t!” Shiro seemed offended, twisting around me like a snake, but it was still a dance, and her black eyes started to suck me in again, my hand on the calligraphy brush loosening. As she grinned in triumph, she leaned in for a kiss, and I offered my tongue… only for Shiro to be pulled away by Shaeula, and Motoko to bang me on the head again. Daiyu grabbed my hand and pinched, the slight pain distracting me.

“I knew I could get you!” Shiro laughed as she struggled with Shaeula. “But… damn, isn’t this concerning? Aki isn’t easy to bewitch, but it can be done.”

“Yes, but you are forgetting one thing.” Daiyu explained patiently, having listened to and understood Shaeula and Tan’s explanations. “Both of your abilities are similar, in that they work on inflaming desires already there. And Akio clearly desires you both. Us too.” she said, unwilling to be left out. “Which is why I am not trying to create a talisman to strengthen willpower, but to suppress desire.”

“She is correct.” Tan allowed. “Your Allure is weaker than mine, but he would find me less irresistible. It is rather offensive. Only the Buddha, and him, ever walked on by…” she paused. “Not that I use my Allure on other men. However… I know that few would be able to resist me, so long as they were not such as the misfortunate Raven, whose sole desire was so all-consuming as to make my inflaming passion useless. When it comes to strength of mind…”

Shaeula surprised me with an ambush with her winds, ordering me to kiss Shiro, however I was able to hold myself back. I did want to do it, but my League was brilliant within me, and I was trying to learn from the previous attempts. It was a struggle, Shiro’s lips seemed so tempting, the way she licked them with her tongue when she was thinking, like plump, juicy… Damn, yeah, I’m resisting, but Shaeula’s winds are insidious as hell. I definitely feel befuddled!

“Shit, I wonder what would happen if I danced and you used your winds at the shame time, Shaeula?” Shiro asked, feeling competitive, but I was pleased with the gain of another few points of Resilience. I think we’ll add this to everyone’s mandatory training. When I expressed that thought, Shaeula and the others agreed, but Shiro chimed in, suggesting several interesting training methods. The King’s Game huh? Compelled by Shaeula’s winds? Sounds… risky, but potentially fun.

“Enough.” Daiyu complained. Up overhead I could hear my sis shouting loudly in triumph, and casting my gaze out over Shirohebizumi I could see her golden warriors moving in formation, making odd, almost idol-like poses.

“Now, concentrate. You have enough Qi for one talisman. Do not waste it. The strokes must be perfect, and the ink infused with your Qi.” Daiyu showed off one she had made earlier. “I have learned from Kyoto as well. I should be prepared. Before, all my efforts and Qi were focussed on my Foundation, but now… I have reached the peak, and have no wish to break through to Accumulation until I have perfected the Invincible Jade Yang Technique as well. So my resources can be devoted to preparation for future battles. Finding the minerals and plants for the ink was a considerable expense at our Sect, but now such matters are trivial.” She quickly, with artful brush strokes I couldn’t help but admire, crafted a talisman of the sort that I was working on, with the Chinise characters for ‘perfect self, strong spirit’ on them.

“Try to affect me with your winds.” Daiyu asked Shaeula, and as she was bathed in the green glow, the order Shaeula having given rather shocking, Daiyu channelled a trickle of Qi, and the talisman burned, Qi flowing backwards, scattering the winds that were trying to enter her. Even with that, Daiyu struggled to resist the order, but in the end she managed, dripping with sweat.

“You are quite-quite tenacious.” Shaeula approved.

“Your skills are great. I did greatly desire to carry out your order, and achieve a successor with Akio.” She glanced at me, face flushed. “But now is not the time, no matter how sweet the wish sounded. The talisman is hardly a panacea, it cannot make the weak-willed strong enough to resist a powerful will, but it can give a moment of clarity. For Akio, such should be enough. Since I doubt the methods employed by his enemies will be as insidious, nor will he wish to fulfil their desires, unlike with us.”

Daiyu went back to making talismans, of a similar sort, yet these had an additional character, which looked similar to the Chinese for ‘oneself’ and ‘companion’ mixed together. I set aside my curiosity, and traced the final characters on my own talisman, and as I watched with my Eye, once the final stroke was done, the Qi, which should only circulate within a subtle body, was suddenly alive within the paper, moving in a very specific way. It’s almost like a tiny artificial Chakra network. The paper… that was treated specially beforehand too. I see, it’s surprisingly deep, just like Ether Crafting… A success, it seems.

“Your talisman seems different.” Motoko observed keenly, and Daiyu nodded.

“It is simpler to make one using one’s own Qi, especially when one is fortifying mind, body or spirit. But I am confident in my skills, even if I have only dabbled before, due to the need to preserve my Qi and the cost and rarity of materials. Father was more of a talisman master than I.” she sighed, bowing her head in memory and perhaps in prayer. “But I believed I could make a talisman that another could use. Not anyone… that would be beyond my nascent skills, but my Dao Companion… one I have shared my Qi with, and he with me…” She flushed, eyeing me softly. “That I can do. So I will make as many as I can to ensure your safety!” She was embarrassed, but I pulled her into a hug, even as I read the messages that burned in my vision.

You have gained a Skill, Third Noble Pursuit: Talisman Crafting Rank 1. You have created an elementary Talisman, using Qi which is a form of Aether both purer and less malleable than from which it is born, yet it exhibits great efficiency for that which it is suited. Your ability to refine Aether to Qi slightly improves, and your understanding of Cultivation Techniques will rise very slightly. [Class: Powerful] [Type: Foundation]

I see. Daiyu had also gained the skill, but at Rank 2, so her efforts had borne fruit as well. Hugging her tighter, I grinned. “Thanks for thinking of me. I’ll use them well, I promise. And if you need resources to learn the other Noble Pursuits, just ask. We’ll find ways to get them.”

As I enjoyed a brief moment of success, we were separated by Shiro and Shaeula, who were grinning with mock-maliciousness. “All right, we get it. Daiyu is the hero of the moment. But…” Shiro began. “…we’re not done yet. We’ll keep bewitching you until the very moment you go, Aki, to squeeze out every drop…” She licked her lips, and for a moment I wondered if she was using her Allure, as I felt a sudden urge to push her down, despite everyone watching. “… of Resilience out of you. What, did you think I was talking about something else?” She laughed, and soon we all were.

“All right then. Yeah, I’m confident with all our preparations there’s no way they can defeat me. So it’s time to do something good, and reap the rewards as well.” Though their Divine Favours… if they are too wicked, I won’t be searching for a new host. I know that power has no sin, just how it is used, but… in some cases, that might not be true. However… Eri, Hinata, Motoko, Natsumi… if only I could find a suitable Favour for one of them. Even Asha, Hyacinth and Shaeula could potentially benefit, now we had the example of Ginneka to show us the way. And thinking of Ginneka… she’s useless for the actual raid on the school, but for preparing trump cards… No, we had learned from Kyoto. I wouldn’t walk unprepared into a situation and lose people close to me ever again. So I would keep a few aces on hand, just in case of an emergency I couldn’t predict…

So yeah, new skills, and some numbers going up *smile* So, a little Cultivation here, and a brief insight into potentially what it can achieve later on. 

As for the party Chosen, there's one surprise here, isn't there? Although she's not planning to be actively involved, just... remotely. As for the others, they were a reasonable guess.

On a non-story related note, I have now dealt with some of the work issues plaguing me and stressing me out, so after a nice relax today, I'm hopeful that the migraines will drop to their usual once a fortnight levels, not every damn day lol, and next week should be more normal a schedule. 

28