13 – On the Road (2)
478 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a few hours since the group had left Jonathan's aunt's house. He still had the face of few friends.

Samantha was still driving. She wanted to say something to comfort Jonathan, but nothing came to mind, ' What can I say to help him?.'

Just then, Samantha noticed the car was turning on the light, indicating that the gas was running out. She looked at Jonathan, ' He must have gas with his powers... but should I bother him now?'

There was no need, as Jonathan noticed the state of the gasoline. He looked at the dashboard and said, '' When you find a place to stop, you can do that.''

Samantha nodded and continued driving, 'He told me about his secret, but I don't think he wants to tell Eve and Nathanael...it's a fair thing, and I don't see why I should say something.'

Looking like fate, after 2km, Samantha saw a gas station, '' Lucky us!''

Jonathan looked outside and also noticed the gas station. He said looking at Nathanael, '' While your mother fills up the car, we'll go into the convenience store and see if there's anything to pick up.''

Nathanael nodded.

It didn't take long for Samantha to stop the car, '' Okay, let's go quickly. No sign of zombies around, but it's always good to stay alert!''

Jonathan and Nathanael got out of the car, followed by Eve. Then, they headed to the convenience store, leaving Eve and Samantha behind.

Arriving near the entrance, Jonathan opened directly, ' No blood, and it looks like the shelves are full... strange.'

Jonathan was on alert due to this fact, 'Although we are on the road, a place this untouchable is almost impossible almost 3 months since the apocalypse started.'

''Nathanael, stay alert. I don't have a good feeling about this place.'' Jonathan decided to act quickly and started putting things in his hand and the others in the inventory, 'The more, the merrier.'

Nathanael also filled his hands with stuff. At most, they took two minutes to loot what they could and started to leave.

As they passed through the door, Jonathan and Nathanael noticed two other people standing near Eve and Samantha. They didn't look hostile, but Jonathan didn't care.

He dropped the things he had taken from the store and aimed his pistol in their direction.

The noise of falling things caught everyone's attention. The two people, a man, and a woman, immediately raised their hands and practically shouted, "WAIT! DON'T SHOOT!

At this point, Nathanael also aimed in their direction.

To Jonathan's surprise, Eve and Samantha stood in front of them both, '' They're not bad people! You can put down your weapons.''

Nathanael didn't know what to do, so he mirrored Jonathan, who didn't lower his gun, '' Eve and Samantha, come towards me, now!''

Eve and Samantha were hesitating, so Jonathan said again, '' Do you trust them, whom you've known for two minutes, or me!?''

This caused them to come to the side of Jonathan, who was still pointing his gun at the two people.

Jonathan finally relaxed a bit, "Now, you're going to do exactly as I say. Otherwise, I'll shoot. You understand?''

The two people, who were trembling, nodded.

Jonathan started walking to their car. "First, go to the front of the store.''

They did so. Jonathan and his group arrived at the car. '' Samantha, start the car. Eve and Nathanael, get in and buckle up.''

They did just that.

Jonathan finally could breathe a little, '' Listen, how many of you are out there?''

The two people were surprised, '' What?''

''How many people are waiting to attack us?''

The two strangers stopped shaking. The man said in a low voice, ''When did you notice?''

Jonathan smirked, '' As soon as I entered the store. This is the apocalypse, my friend. No store would be this tidy.''

As soon as Jonathan said that, 6 people came out from hidden places. Jonathan watched them, 'Sticks, knives, but no firearms... lucky us.'

'' What now?'' One of the members asked. They knew that there was no way to get Jonathan's gun. Sure, they could try, but some would die in the process, and there was still Nathanael, who was aiming from inside the car.

Jonathan was undecided, 'What to do? On one hand, they didn't attack us when they had the chance, on the other hand, they will attack the next people who come...''

'' ... What was your intention? Would you rob us and kill us?'' Jonathan looked at their reaction.

They all stood still. Jonathan suspected that was exactly what they were going to do.

'' One last chance. What would've you done to us?''

No one responded. At this point, Jonathan knew they were up to no good.

Jonathan took a long breath and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, they were emotionless.

'' So I won't feel so bad for what I'm going to do next.''

When they realized Jonathan would really shoot, they started to run away.

BANGX10

After firing 10 times, Jonathan managed to kill only 3 people of the 6. After making sure no one else was around, he went inside the car, '' Let us go.''

The group was quite shocked by all this. By the people who wanted to do bad things, and by Jonathan's reaction.

Eve hesitated, '' How did you know they would attack us?''

Jonathan was quite mad at Samantha and Eve about this situation, '' I said from day one, DONT TRUST ANYONE! I have no idea how could you trust someone so soon.''

''Right now, your worth is decided by how much they can take from you, or what they could do to you. Nathan's situation and what happened just now are good examples. You can't trust anyone ... and you must be ready to do whatever to survive.''

Jonathan then told this looking at Nathanael, '' You cannot hesitate.''

Samantha and Eve were looking guilty now, '' I'm sorry. It's just that they seemed so nice and calm. I never thought they would be like that.''

Jonathan sighed, '' Forget it! Just don't do it again. At least you filled the gasoline?''

Samantha nodded, '' Yeah, the tank is now full.''

'' Good. Just keep driving until we find a place to stay for the night.''

'' Leave it to me!'' Samantha continued to drive.

Samantha was feeling quite dumb and guilty about all this, ' Why? Why did I trust them so easily!? They barely introduced themselves and I, like a fool, believed them!'

Samantha vowed to harden herself, ' Ages ago, when Eve and Nathanael were born, I swore to God that I would be alive until they were adults... I have to change.'

Jonathan was also thinking about what happened. 'This was a lesson for Eve and Samantha. They probably won't trust people that much from now on. Nathanael was good since he pointed his gun at them and followed my lead.'

Jonathan then remembered that he killed 3 more people. He looked down at his own hands, ' This is starting to get easy... and it's scaring me. I legit feel like killing a fly, even though they are human. That's not normal.'

Jonathan felt he was dealing with something that he cannot do anything against, ' For now, I think it is a good thing I'm feeling that way. But someday, I'll have to deal with it.'

Deciding to leave future problems to his future self, Jonathan put his head on the window, ' I'll sleep for now.'

---

Someone woke Jonathan up. He first noticed it was dark outside, and the car wasn't in movement, '' Jonathan.''

He looked at Nathanael, '' What happened?''

'' We found a place to sleep, but we need to check to see if there are zombies inside.'' Nathanael already had a gun in hand.

Jonathan got up. Eve and Samantha were outside the car, waiting. ''Let's go.''

Nathanael nodded. The place they found was a small hotel at the side of the road. It had 2 floors and didn't seem to have anyone inside. ''Don't let your guard down.''

'' Wait!'' Eve suddenly said.

Jonathan and Nathanael stopped, '' Can I go with you?''

Samantha was shocked but reacted quickly, '' If she goes, I'm going too.''

Jonathan sighed, ' They need experience with situations like this...'

'' Okay, but follow exactly what we do. Don't go too far.'' Jonathan remembered them to grab the gun he passed to them a few weeks ago and gave them a flashlight.

The group entered the front door. They had to shoot the doorknob again, ' This is becoming a habit.' They knew they had to barricade the door later, but it was better to be inside the place than outside.

'' Should we check every floor or just this one?'' Nathanael asked. He was using a flashlight that Jonathan gave him.

'' Everything. Don't leave things to chance. Imagine if there was a zombie or a human in one of the rooms, just waiting to attack us as soon as we sleep.'' Jonathan also had a flashlight, but their vision was still too limited, even with 4 flashlights.

Nathanael said nothing, and the group continued to look around the first floor. Jonathan was paying extra attention to Samantha and Eve.

At the end of the hallway on the first floor, Jonathan noticed blood on the ground. It even had a trail leading somewhere. He stopped and pointed his finger at it, '' Someone or something was bleeding here. Be even more careful now.''

Samantha and Eve trembling a little.

It didn't take long for the group to reach the end of the trail of blood. It was a room. Jonathan stopped, '' I'll open this now. Nathanael, Eve and Samantha, point the lights towards the room and be careful to no blind each other with the brightness.''

All three of them nodded. Jonathan then tried the doorknob, but it was closed.

Jonathan sighed. He aimed the pistol and shot the doorknob.

BANG

The door magically opened with a push after that. Inside the room, the trail of blood continued until another closed door. '' It's probably the bathroom, and based on how much blood the person lost, it will most likely be a zombie.''

'' Who wants to kill it?'' Jonathan asked Eve and Samantha. He offered his gun with the silencer to them.

Eve didnt hesitate, '' Let me.''

Eve's thoughts were quite complex. She was there and saw everything the group went through, except her uncle Franklin's amputation. She felt that Nathanael was getting better at this than her, and this is making her competitive spirit ignite, something that never happened before.

Besides, she knew all of this would help with the chances of her survival.

Jonathan passed his pistol to her, under the watch of Samantha, who didn't go against it, '' We trained before, but the target was still. Your accuracy was 3 out of 10, but now it is the real deal. Don't worry about the ammunition. Try to shoot the head though, and if you miss, we are still here to help.''

Eve nodded and took a deep breath. Jonathan saw that she was ready and opened the door, which was unlocked.

Immediately, with the light from his flashlight, Jonathan saw a zombie on the ground. Eve also saw that and aimed the gun at the zombie.

The zombie finally realized someone entered his domain and started to growl.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

After 5 shots, all of which hit the body, only one of them hit the head. After she stopped shooting, Eve was trembling even more than before.

Jonatha carefully took the gun from her, then praised her action, '' You did well. It wasn't a human, you did the right thing.''

Jonathan hoped she would be able to shoot without trembling, and, in the future, be able to protect herself from zombies and humans alike.

Eve snapped out of her daze and hugged Samantha, '' I did it!''

Samantha patted her head, '' Congratulations.''

Eve was the only one who hadn't killed a zombie. Samatha ran over a few zombies, and Nathanael shoot a few before.

Jonathan stopped looking at the scene and looked inside the bathroom. The zombie was dead but he still checked it. ' 8 bullets holes... Eve only shot 5 times, so he was shot before, hence the reason he was bleeding.'

' But by who and why? Is this place secure?'

Jonathan was getting paranoid, thanks to the recent events, so he wasn't sure if this was a nice place to rest.

Just as he would tell that, he saw his group smiling. Jonathan could also see they are tired. ' They need to rest on a bed, and if I'm honest, me too. I'll set some traps and hope for the best.'

'' Okay, everyone. We will double-check the entire place, then we will choose a place to sleep. One room for everyone, we just need to get beds from others rooms.'' Everyone nodded.

They doubled checked all the rooms and found nothing new. Jonathan then hid the car somewhere else, made a few rough traps that would alert if a zombie passed it, made a few for humans, and went to the room they choose.

Arriving there, Jonathan saw that they got a bed for him when he was outside, '' Thanks.''

'' Don't mention it.'' Nathanael was already lying down.

The arrangement of the room was: Nathanael close to Eve, and Samantha near Jonathan, who was the closest to the door.

Everyone was lying in bed, but no one managed to sleep.

Eve started to talk, '' Mom.''

'' What it is, my angel?''

'' Can you tell us a story, so we can sleep faster?'' Eve was at the point she was trying everything.

''Don't need for that. Eat this and you'll sleep in seconds.'' Jonathan passed Eve and Nathanael a few SLEEPING PILLS he bought from the SHOP.

Eve and Nathanael looked at the pills with strange faces. But they trusted Jonathan and took it.

'' I feel nothin'-'' Before Eve could even finish speaking, she rubbed her eyes, ''Wow, okay, this is strong.''

Soon after, Eve and Nathanael were snoring.

Samantha looked at Jonathan, '' What was that?''

Jonathan gave a small smile, '' It's something I could buy from my gift. They will sleep for exactly 6 hours. Unless we touch them strong enough, I doubt they will wake up.''

Samantha was quiet, '' So it's just us for 6 hours?''

Jonathan nodded, '' If you want, I can give you one too.''

'' No need. Besides, we need to talk.'' Samantha turned her head toward Jonathan.

'' We do. I have a few questions for you.''

'' Let me start it. Where are we going?'' Samantha was curious about this.

'' I geniunaly have no idea. There's no safe place in a world where there are zombies everywhere. The best we can do is hope we find a place good enough to protect and then prepare ourselves to defend it.''

Samantha nodded at that statement. She saw the state of the country on their trip to Florida. It was chaos.

'' Now it's my turn... Are you pregnant?'' Jonathan went right on the topic.

Samantha sighed,' I knew it was coming...'

'' I don't know.''

Jonathan was expecting that. He bought a pregnant test instantly, '' Here.''

Samantha took it, '' Let me guess, you also brought this thanks to your 'gift'.''

Jonathan nodded.

Then, Samantha got up from the bed, '' Give me a few minutes.''

Jonathan nodded and waited. A few minutes later, a pale Samantha got out of the bathroom.

After getting up from his bed, Jonathan went to her side, '' What's the result?''

Samantha showed him. Jonathan checked it, then double-checked the results. It didn't change.

Samantha was pregnant.

26