14 – On the Road (3)
425 5 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Samantha was already thinking about how hard it will be to be pregnant in this world, "What are we going to do? Will the baby be born normal? What if it's already a zombie?''

As nobody knew very well what caused the apocalypse, nobody knew how the infection worked.

Jonathan tried to calm her down, ''Calm down. I have my 'gift'. I can make a portable infirmary, and I can study how to childbirth at home. Just calm down.''

Samantha was hyperventilating but began to calm down, 'If everything he told me is true, we have a chance. But still, it's only fair to bring a new being into this zombie-infested world.'

While Samantha was having doubts, so was Jonathan, 'Can I handle it? Even though I study the subject of childbirth, many women have died giving birth. And what will it be like to take care of a baby in this world?'

Now, Jonathan would have to find a place for them to live within 6 months, which is a good amount of time before the pregnancy begins to debilitate Samantha.

The responsibility of finding a place for them to stay increased greatly.

Samantha had already calmed down. She looked at Jonathan, "Jonathan... I don't know who the father is.''

When she said that, Jonathan snapped out of his thoughtful mode, '' That really doesn't matter. What matters now is to take care of you as best as possible. We need to find a place to stay as soon as possible since in a few months, you might not be as helpful as you are now.''

Not that pregnant women couldn't help, but in a zombie apocalypse, where danger is everywhere, pregnancy is a great risk.

Samantha agreed with Jonathan, '' Eve and Nathanael also need a safe place to grow up.''

More and more responsibilities fell on Jonathan, '' Don't worry about that. Let me take care of finding us a place to stay and everything else. You just focus on getting well and thinking about the baby.''

"Sometimes I feel like I put too much on your shoulders...'' Samantha approached Jonathan.

He noticed this but didn't reject her, '' If I don't do this, who will?''

Samantha walked over to Jonathan's bed and lay down with him, '' There's not much I can do to repay you for everything you're doing for me and my family. The only thing I can do is offer you my old body.''

Samantha began to remove her clothes. Jonathan was having an internal battle, 'On the one hand, I know she was only doing this as payment and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. On the other hand, this is free sex and it's hard to reject.'

It was as if an angel and a devil were talking in Jonathan's ears. And in this case, the devil won.

Jonathan kissed Samantha. After a while of this, he broke the kiss. He looked deep into Samantha's eyes, trying to find her real feeling, but couldn't sense anything. Not disgust, not love, just her eyes.

Jonathan sighed, ' It seems I'm getting feeling for Samantha...' He knew it was difficult to have a real relationship with Samantha, but he didn't care much. He would go with the flow.

'' What is it?'' Samantha noticed Jonathan said nothing after breaking the kiss and just stared at her. She was feeling weird.

This seems to have snapped Jonathan, who looked at her with a complicated gaze, '' It seems I have feelings for you.''

Samantha wasn't so surprised, since she noted Jonathan looking at her with more affection since they had sex. She wasn't sure if it was healthy or not.

'' Listen, Jonathan, I-''

Jonathan interrupted her by kissing her mouth. He broke the kiss and gently as possible, started to kiss Samantha's entire body.

Samantha wanted to keep talking, but she knew Jonathan wouldn't stop now. She sighed, ' Might as well enjoy this.'.'

----

It was 30 minutes later that Samantha and Jonathan stopped their 'training' season. Both were spent.

'' At least now we are tired and can sleep easily without the pills.'' Samantha put on her clothes.

Jonathan was still on nude, '' How about we shower?''

'' We don't have enough wat-'' Samantha stopped talking when she saw Jonathan with a 20L gallon of water.

'' Here.'' Jonathan passed some shampoo to Samantha and entered the bathroom.

Samantha was in a daze, ' I forgot he have this 'gift' of his. This makes things a lot easier.'

For the first time in a long while, Samantha smiled at her situation. Which made her feel guilty the next moment, ' I recently lost my husband, and I already sort of moved on. I don't think I even had the time to grieve properly.'

Now with an even more complicated feeling, Samantha entered the bathroom.

The bath was an uneventful one. Jonathan noticed Samantha's mood and didn't make anything inappropriate. They both helped each other with the bath, without anything sexual happening.

When they got out, Samantha went directly to her bed, not having the courage to look at Jonathan, ' I'm stupid. I need to get my feelings in order!'

While not knowing what was on Samantha's mind, Jonathan wasn't naive to think it was something simple, ' She needs space. In less than 5 months, she witnessed the world ending, her husband dying, and now she's pregnant. She needs time.'

Jonathan went to his bed, '' Goodnight.''

'' ... Goodnight.''

----

Jonathan woke up at 5 A.M. He woke up thanks to Samatha, who was talking rather loudly to Eve and Nathanael.

''I'm pregnant.''

That's the part Jonathan heard, so he got up quickly. In the room, Eve and Nathanael were surprised.

'' But how?'' Nathanale asked.

'' Well, when a mommy meets a daddy-'' Samantha was going to explain, but Eve interrupted.

''We are not children anymore, we know these things. What we're asking is, when did this happen? You and Dad didn't seem to ...''

''We didn't make any noise. But it happened. It was my mistake not to use protection, but it happened. Now our situation has become even more complicated.''

Slowly, Eve and Nathanael began to think about what it meant that Samantha was pregnant. More food, they will need a place to stay, and the list goes on.

Eve said after thinking, '' What are we going to do?''

Jonathan, who had caught the conversation in the middle, was conflicted with himself about one issue, 'Should I tell Eve and Nathanael about my SHOP? Or is there some way to keep it a secret for a while longer?'

Jonathan's fears were totally justified, since if strangers found out what he can do, they would go to great lengths to have Jonathan with them. He only told Samantha because he trusted her, since he has known her for years, and she was a responsible adult who knew it was best to keep this a secret.

But Eve and Nathanael were still teenagers. Of course, Jonathan trusted them too, but he didn't know if they would tell other people they might know. Imagine if one day they were arguing and accidentally talked about it. The consequences would be enormous.

However, Jonathan also knew that thanks to them living together, it would be very difficult to keep this a secret for much longer.

After some time with some internal debate, Jonathan decided to tell them later. ' Maybe when we found a place to live, I would then tell them.'

' But is there a safe place to live in this world?'

The previous place where Jonathan stayed was deserted and had few residents. It took a couple of idiots for their safe house to be destroyed.
' We can't live in a normal house. We need barricades, gates, fences, and many other things. Let me check if the SHOP has it.'

Jonathan spent the next couple of minutes searching for anything like a house, but he only found materials, ' So I can't buy an entire house, but I can buy the materials to build a house... so weird.'

It was the same with the fence, he could buy the materials but he would need to build it. The gate came out normally, but he would also need to put it in place. This made Jonathan question, ' Why the guns came out normal?'

No one on this Earth would be able to respond to that question. While Jonathan was making plans and debating some things, the conversation was over.

'' Did you tell Jonathan about it?''

Samantha nodded, '' I did. He said we need to find a place to stay urgently. He gave a time limit of 6 months, after that, it will even more dangerous than normal for me.''

'' We will find a place to live, don't worry.''

'' Jonathan! How long have you woken up?'' Only after Jonathan spoke, the group realized he was awake.

'' I just woke up. I only heard the end of the conversation.'' Jonathan got up from the bed, '' And we need to leave this place and hit the road. Maybe we can even find a good place to settle down.''

Jonathan remembered something, '' Before we go, I searched the place in the dawn and found water. I put it in the bathroom, so both of you go take a shower. Samantha and I already showered.''

Eve and Nathanael nodded, '' Thank you.''

''Don't mention it. In the meantime, I'll go get the car ready for us to leave.'' Jonathan then went out of the room.

As it was 5 A.M., it was still dark outside, but Jonathan didn't use his flashlight, ' I don't want to be ambushed.'

Jonathan carefully made his way toward where he hid the car. But on the way, he found a zombie.

' Hmmm, this one also has bullet holes. Maybe this is the person who killed our friend in that bathroom.'

This particular zombie had a few shots on the torso. Jonathan looked around and found the gun he probably used when he was alive, ' I don't really need it, but as I said before, the more the merrier.'

If Jonathan found food somewhere, he would store it in his inventory. The same could be said about guns and such. If he could take them and store them, why not do it? The price of the SHOP is exaggerated, and although Jonathan had billions in his accounts, one day he could spend it all.

After grabbing the gun, the zombie finally came close enough for Jonathan to care about it. ' At least they are slow. If they're fast, we would be screwed.'

Jonathan got close to the zombie, who tried to grab him. He simply dodged to the side, making the zombie lose balance. Taking advantage of this, Jonathan kicked the zombie in the knee, causing him to fall to the ground.

Grabbing his pistol with a silencer, Jonathan aimed at the zombie's head and fired.

BANG

'I have no idea why you and that guy would fight, but was it worth it? You both died...'

Deciding to ignore the history between these 2 zombies, Jonathan finally reached the current car of the group. He put the key in the ignition, turned it and the car started.

After backing up, Jonathan stopped near the front door of the hotel. He then exited the car and went to the room they were currently in. He entered the room and noticed everyone was already neatly dressed.

'' Are we good to go?''

Everyone nodded. '' Then let's hit the road.''

----

The group continued to travel across the country, but with the state of the roads, their speed was horrible. Furthermore, due to hitting a few zombies on the way, they had to change the car again.

It was a fairly normal week for the group. Nathanael and Eve asked Jonathan and Samantha to teach them to drive, and the pair accepted. Of course, only on roads that were empty and the sibling had to follow the instructions of those who knew how to drive.

''By the way, Jonathan, how can you drive? We are the same age, but I have never touched a steering wheel before.'' Nathanael asked Jonathan while driving the car. Eve and Samantha were in the back seat, praying for everyone's safety.

POW

Nathanael ran over another zombie.

Jonathan broke into a cold sweat when he saw this, 'He's not very good at it... and what am I supposed to say to him? Actually, my mental age is more than twice as old as yours and I learned to drive in my other life!.... Lying is the choice.'

So Jonathan lied, ''I learned from my parents. They taught me when they returned from their trips around the world.''

POW

Nathanael nodded after running over another zombie, '' I see. It makes sense.''

POW

By now, Eve prayed at least 100 times in the last couple of minutes.

Jonathan finally had enough, '' Nathanael, buddy, how about you let me drive for now?''

' You crashed a couple of zombies and already cost us a car. I doubt the apocalypse will have many cars working in the future.'

Nathanael nodded, '' Which one is the brake again?''

Eve cried.

-----

At the current moment, Jonathan was driving the car following a map that he had downloaded on his cell phone. Since Wase no longer worked, the group had no way of knowing if this road was crowded or not.

As soon as Jonathan saw the road ahead of him, he hit the break. By doing so, he caught the attention of everyone inside the car. Samantha was horrified by what she saw in front of them, ''Reverse!''
 
Eve looked out and gasped.
 
"Hold on!''
 
Jonathan backed up with everything and left the place. What was there was a huge horde of zombies.
 
'' Fuck!''
 
Samantha asked Jonathan, '' What now?''
 
''I don't know. We've tried several highways, but either they're so full of cars that we can't get through, or they're so full of zombies like we just saw.''
 
This is not the first time they have encountered a horde or a blockade of cars. 
 
Nathanael and Eve tried to come up with a solution, '' Why don't we go another way?''
 
''As I said, we already tried. If we want to get through this part of the state, it's either through this horde on foot or by flying. The car can't handle going through the land beside the highway. It would break down in seconds.''
 
It was then that Nathanael passed the map on his cell phone to Jonathan, "What about this place? It might be a good place to stay if there's no one around, and it's close. Only a 5-kilometer walk.''

 

The one on the map was West Georgia Correctional Facility. Jonathan recognized the name, 'But where from?'

Ignoring this, Jonathan looked back and saw that the horde was not close. He stopped the car and looked at everyone, '' What Nathanael found is a good place. A prison with bars is one of the safest places we could think of. And it's close by.''

''Even if we don't like it and want to leave later, we need to stay there for at least the next nine months, because of Samantha's baby. What I want to ask is if you want to go there.''

In less than a second, everyone in the car agreed, '' Of course, we're going there! It's close and safe.'' Eve was excited enough to stay in a safe place. It had been a long time since they had left the original house.

Nathanael nodded and Samantha ran her hand over her belly, which appeared to be growing, '' What if there are people there?''

''' We explain our situation and maybe they'll let us in.''

"What if they refuse?''' Nathanael knew the answer but he asked anyway.

The car was silent, as Jonathan didn't answer.

Eve then thought of another point, "What if it's full of zombies?

Jonathan took out the pistol from his waist, '' We make a plan and kill them... Everyone agreed?''

Everyone took out their pistols and nodded.

'' Good. If you run out of ammo just let me know and I'll see what I can do. Don't forget your knives. The horde may have fallen behind but stay alert.'' Jonathan opened his map and got a better look at where the prison was located. He then drove to the location where the car entrance to the prison was located, but there was a barricade, '' We can't go this way. We'll have to find another path.''

Jonathan stopped the car, and looked at the terrain, '' I don't know if the car will be able to pass through this terrain, but I'll risk it.''

The land beside the roads they had previously driven on was full of trees, making it difficult for cars to get around. The current situation was the same, but if they wanted to have a car, they would have to take the risk, 'If we stay in this place, we would need to undo that barrier at that path... problems for the future me!'

Jonathan then, with great difficulty, managed to get through the terrain beside the normal path. When he came out from among the trees, what was at the end of his eyes was a giant fortress, which was surrounded by zombies. There didn't seem to be any humans inside.

The prison had four shooting towers, and fences that appeared to be electric. Eve and Nathanael were shocked by the size of the prison, '' If we kill the zombies surrounding it, we will have no trouble living there. I doubt zombies could destroy those gates and fences!''

Samantha was quiet, but everyone could see hope in her eyes.

Jonathan only had one thing to say, '' Jackpot!''

23