25 – A New Path (1)
381 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jonathan was already on the watchtower when Samantha appeared. He was so distracted that he only noticed her presence when she leaned against his back and asked, '' Are you okay?''

Looking at Samantha, Jonathan shook his head, '' Not at all.''

'' Do you want to talk about it? Whatever it is.'' Samantha was worried about Jonathan.

Paying no attention to anything, Jonathan leaned on the ledge of the watchtower, '' Hypothetically speaking, if you knew the future, what would you do?''

Samantha was caught off guard by that question. Still, she answered after a few seconds of thought, '' Honestly? I have no idea. If I knew something bad would happen to me or my family I would try to prevent it. For the rest... I really don't know.''

Jonathan nodded. So far his thinking is the same as hers. Protecting those he loves comes first. But what about the rest of the people? Now that he knew where he was, doubts began to creep into his convictions.

Ignoring his thoughts for a moment, Jonathas asked once again, '' Now imagine that all your thoughts weren't yours and all your reality isn't real. What would you do?''

'Why is he like this?' Samantha tried to remember when Jonathan started this and remembered that was when he met the new group. 'I wonder what is wrong with that group for him to be like this...'

Even though he didn't quite understand what was going on, Samantha still replied, '' I'm not the best person to give advice but... What would it all matter?''

Jonathan paused, '' What do you mean?''

Samantha sighed, '' Jonathan, just the fact that we're having this conversation already shows that we're not influenced by any other cosmic powers or anything like that. In the end, we are just us. Nothing more, nothing less.''

'' But-''

''No buts. Even if you think that you're being guided by something or this isn't real, I assure you, I'm very real. What happened to the world, as crazy as it was, is real. If this world is not 'real' as you say, could we even have this conversation?''

Jonathan shook his head, '' I don't know.''

Samantha hugged Jonathan, '' I don't know what happened for you to begin questioning your reality, but everything is going to be okay. I'm here for you, Eve, and Nathanael too.''

Jonathan accepted the hug. While this didn't clear all his doubts, at least it worked to calm him down. ' Even if this is a dream, I should still ... be me. No more, no less.'

After breaking the hug, Jonathan thanked Samantha, '' Thank you for this. I needed that.''

Samantha smiled at him, '' No problem... Now, can you say to me what made you question everything?''

Jonathan hesitated, ' While I'm not keen to say all, I have to say something. I'll mix a few things here and there while hiding that Im reincarnated. This is probably a secret I'll take to the grave.'

But Jonathan trusted Samantha enough to disclose some things. He already told his group about the SHOP, telling them he saw the future isn't that much of a deal.

Sighing, Jonathan started to talk, '' The reason I think this is not reality, it's because I saw those people before... in my dreams.''

This caught Samantha's attention, '' Elaborate.''

'' Again, I saw those people in my dreams years ago. I know who they are and how their lives will go until a certain point. I also know that if what I saw in the dreams were real ... the prison will be destroyed soon.''

'' ... What!?'' Samantha was shocked by this information.

Jonathan nodded, '' As soon as I saw their faces, I knew something was wrong. So I began to question all of my life until this point. Unless this is a dream or some kind of nightmare, I have no way to explain the dreams.''

' By the way, I was so distracted before that I didn't pay much attention to all members of the group. I have to know if I'm in the Comics or the TV series.'

'' What more you saw in those dreams. And when you began to have those?'' Samantha began to question Jonathan in earnest. ' If I was in his shoes and discovered one of my dreams was real, how would I react?'

'' Some years ago. I didn't see much, but those dreams are the reason why I adapted to the apocalypse so fast. In my dreams, I already experienced zombies and such. I just never thought they would become reality.''

Jonathan was spitting lies at a fast rate. 'At least it makes sense.'

It made a lot of sense to Samantha, '' ... I see. That explains a lot of things actually.''

'' Yes. My dreams were normal at the beginning when suddenly I started to dream about zombies. I ignored it because it was ridiculous.. and here we are.''

'' Can you tell me more about those dreams?'' Samantha already asked this, but now she wanted to know more.

' See? Even she is freaking out a bit after learning that. Imagine if I said all of my real problems?'

''I'll tell you everything I know... Then maybe you can help take a decision.'' Jonathan wanted some outside perspective on his problems, so telling Samantha wasn't that much of a problem.

'' Which decision?''

''I'll tell you after I'm done telling everything I saw in those dreams.'' Jonathan then said everything he saw in his 'dream'. Of course, as he didn't know exactly which TWD universe he was, he gave a not-so-true version. He knew that Daryl only existed in the TV series, but there Sophia was dead, so this is definitively an alternate version.

Jonathan told Samantha almost everything. He mentioned Woodbury and the crazy Governor, Negan, Alexandria, and many others things. He left some out because he knew there were some things Samantha didn't need to know, for her mental sake.

It was already quite late when Rick and his group entered Block 2, and when Jonathan finished saying everything he wanted, it was already close to 3 AM.

Samantha had a look of shock on her face. It seems she was still digesting all the information Jonathan just dumped into her.

'' ... This a lot to take in.'' Samantha now understood a bit of Jonathan's predicament.

'' Trust me, I know. To be honest, what I saw is not the problem. Is the thought of no matter what I do, things will still happen according to my dreams, and that scares me. The realization of that made me perturbed. Do my thoughts even matter? I can't help but be plagued with doubts now.''

To be honest, Jonathan didn't really care about living in the apocalypse zombie because of the SHOP. He just didn't want to find out later that this is all a dream and all he has done didn't matter. That would be devastating.

'' ... So, what are you going to do?'' Samantha now was also plagued with knowledge of the future, and just like Jonathan, she was lost.

Jonathan thought about it a lot, ' Should I involve myself more or less? Can I even change anything if I want?'

Sometimes knowing too much was not good, and this was something Jonathan knew well now. ' There's a lot of good people out there that I can save from their predicament. Abraham, Clementine, Michonne...'

' If I act, a lot of things will change. The growth of some characters will not happen, tragedies will be prevented, but... even worse things could happen.'

Jonathan looked at the sky. The sky looked really good that dawn.

' ... But so what?'

Jonathan began to take another approach to his problems. Instead of worrying about all, he began to grow as a person, ' Even if it's all a dream and things will change if I do something... So what? I'm here now, and I can help other people, people that I cared about when reading about their life in my old world. Maybe Samantha, Eve, and Natahanel were supposed to die earlier and I saved them, already changing their fate without knowing it was the TWD universe... I know what I need to do.'

It was almost like something was lifted from Jonathan's shoulder, ' I knew from the beginning what I should do, I just needed a push... This will change a lot of things.'

Jonathan looked at Samantha, '' I ...''

 


Our boy Jonathan changed! It's a good thing or a bad one?

Thanks for the support!

16