Chapter 50. Just Desserts.
229 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    Ryan-" Alright Goku let me explain what we are going to be doing.

Goku nods at me to continue while checking out the hammer and getting a feel for it.

Ryan-" Induction heating is a process where a metal object is heated by creating an electrical current within it. This is traditionally done by using a coil made of copper wire that is wrapped around the object to be heated. Obviously with my magic I can forego the need for tools. But even if I still needed the copper, I could materialize it.

Now when an alternating current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the metal object, causing electrical currents to flow within it. These currents, in turn, generate heat within the object, causing it to reach the desired temperature. This is how I'll be heating the ore.

One of the key advantages of induction heating is that it can be used to heat specific areas of an object, rather than heating the entire object uniformly. This allows for more precise heating and control over the heating process. Additionally, induction heating is a highly efficient process, as it does not require a heat source such as a flame or a hot surface, as the heat is generated directly within the object being heated. This also means the impurities may not get heated However, I imagine they will be burned out. It's far from perfect but that's what we got.

In the case of the Kachin ore, as it gets hotter and starts to change state, it looses its ability to conduct electricity, this is stopping me from truly melting it. this is where you come in. You will have to beat the ore flat and work the impurities out, while I maintain it's heat as much as possible.

After I give him the basic idea I make a large anvil that sits low on the ground but not too low. so it's comfortable for Goku to use.

You can try beating the metal on that, but I imagine the floor may be a much better, or the only possible choice. Once we get all the ore smelted and made into a respectable shape we will try to attach them together and fashion a pole for you to use. Now, I would also recommend using your Ki enhancement on the hammer.

Goku-" But I can hardly use it."

Ryan-" Birth by fire Goku. Now let's get started."

When I heat the ore it pops, sizzles and cracks, signifying some of the impurites being released. I keep us safe from any fumes as I get it to the max temperature. Once there I signal Goku to grab the ore and start working on it. The hammer I made him is short so it can be used with one hand, but also decently heavy. I would have made it with diamonds but I don't know the material. The hardest metal I know of is an alloy of chromium and something else that I learned from Katas. The problem being, it's a very fickle metal that corrodes and degrades quickly making it only useful for certain applications. It is also ridiculously costly to materialize, and falls just under diamonds in hardness. Goku still needs to enhance it with his Ki. The soft glow of which shows off his instinctual Ki control.

SFX- “ Clang!, clang, claang. Claang, claang."

Shortly after I heated the metal and Goku grabbed it with the tongs I could see them begin to glow from just the transferred heat, the tools I made barely standing up to the job. Using magic I divided my attention, and pulled the heat from the tongs, and began to take an active roll in controlling the heat, escaping the ore. While I can't push it back in, i can stop it from radiating, not all but a large portion of it. This helps lessen the burden caused by induction heating, but it isn't an even tradeoff. Induction heating has the benefits of physics influencing the cost and upkeep of the magic, while direct heat manipulation is far more of a high cost use of magic, plus the ore resists direct magic influence to an astounding degree.

SFX-" Claaang... Claaang...Claaaang."

Goku is visibly working the metal with each hit as he starts to shape it impurities flake out slowly but surely. I was worried he would grow bored, but he has gotten awfully competitive. Who is he competing against? Well, the chunk of metal he is beating in of course. His first few hits were completely ineffective and he had to double down and really try.

SFX " Claaaang... Claaaaang... Claaaaaannnng."

As Goku works the metal, I can hear the change in sound it puts off. He is also growing more comfortable with the hammer. But for some reason he stops.

Goku-" The ground is too low i can't get a proper rythym like this. Let's try the anvil Ryan."

Ryan-" If you hit that metal on the anvil as hard as you did on the ground, it'll shatter or deform Goku. It was just a hopeful idea."

Goku-" I have ideas too y'know."

Ryan-" Uh huh.."

Goku walks over to the anvil and places a foot on the base trying to push it. But it doesn't budge easily, having been made extremely wide and heavy because I can't bolt it to the ground.

I watch as he wraps his tail around the base of the anvils' neck and it starts to glow similar to the hammer, which still retains the glow. He looks back at me and smirks as he begins to work the metal between the two Ki enhanced objects, even going so far as to extend it to the the tongs as well.

Saiyans and their damn instincts. He just had a moment of inspiration just like that.

SFX-" Ring.... Ding... Ring... Ding.

Regardless of Goku being more comfortable and getting a proper rhythm for his strikes, this is still going to take a while.

----Weeks later----

The Room of Spirit and Time, AKA the hyperbolic time chamber, was certainly designed for training and keeps us under stress even while we work away at our side project. This infernal room has decided that people forging should feel the burn, or atleast that's my reasoning, because for the past two weeks, the room has slowly risen it's temperature to the high boiling point of water here in the room when under this intense air pressure. We can find reprieve upon the pedastle inside the compound, but we need to finish this work and neither of us are the type to avoid a challenge. With our sweat evaporating off of us, and sizzling as it hits the ground, we continue our work.

Goku-" How much more ore do we have left?"

Ryan-" This is the last piece, after this we just need to shape the pole."

Goku-" Well what are we waiting for let's finish it!"

SFX- Ting... Ting... Ting...

The ore came out decent, but not perfect after being roughly smelted, but we had a solid result that was plenty workable. Goku worked each piece into long skinny bars. Each time we started another piece, he got faster and better, producing higher quality material. This resulted in the bars being darker the better we processed the ore.

After Goku finished the last piece of ore in record time we laid out all the impromptu ingots. I intentionally placed the ingots in the order we finished them, if it somehow breaks it won't break in the middle this way, it should break first at the tip. It also adds just a bit of color variety to it. This makes me remember about something i completely forgot about. Tempering and Annealing. I have been letting the poorly refined ore cool slowly, but I have no idea of the temp ranges to properly anneal or temper this metal at all. I do have something I could use for a potentially proper quenching, plus I don't think anything mundane is going to cool it too fast or cause it harm, this stuff is simply too strong.

Goku-" Are you ready Ryan?"

Ryan-" As ready as I'll ever be"

My roll is a exactly the same this time. I give Goku some tips about forge welding, and we get underway. First I heat the two pieces and Goku joins them. Fast, precise strikes smash them together as the edges flatten and become a solid piece. Then he turns and folds the two knarly ingots. They get the benefit of more experience as Goku folds them a few times creating a uniform bar. With the aid of the cutout in the anvil he can get a nice round shape. It's not perfect, but there are no obvious sharp edges.

With our increased proficiency, we make it through nearly half the pole before we called it quits for the day.

Goku-" I can still hear the sound of the hammer and feel the vibration in my arm, and I'm not even swinging it anymore."

Ryan-" Hahaha, I'll put up a sound barrier of some sort tomorrow, you have gotten very good at that Ki enhancing, by the way."

Goku-" Not good enough though, I can't make a cutting edge yet."

Ryan-" I imagine that's high level mastery, don't beat yourself up. You have taught yourself well."

Goku-" How long have we been in here now Ryan?"

I turn and look at the hourglass. It's hardly the most accurate, but it's just over 3/4th full still.

Ryan-" Around 3 months or so. Another 9 months and then the second hourglass will begin to count down."

Goku-" You think I'll grow by then?"

Ryan-" You would know better than me, what did Baba say?"

Goku-" She said that I'll get a small growth spurt by the time I'm 15, or so and another bigger one a few years later."

Ryan-" Well, there you have it. You should be close to that first growth spurt, but the next one will take a while. Chi-Chi and you will just have to wait."

It takes a second for my words to register in Goku's mind, but they eventually do, I get to see a rarely embarrassed Goku as he quickly responds with bright red cheeks.

Goku-" It, It's not like that!"

Ryan-" Yeah,... sure."

Goku-" Ugghhh... How did Kashi ever fall for you anyways?

Ryan-" Because of my swag."

Goku-" Ha!, Now that's a funny joke."

That night as we slept, I woke up and realized I could hear Goku mumbling in his sleep, talking to Chi- Chi in his dreams. Just another small change that shows just how much I have influenced him with my presence. While Goku loved his family in the original, this more sensible Goku is far more considerate, and motivated by more than the search for a good fight. I'm positive this version wouldn't send his eleven year old child to fight a bioengineered monstrosity, even if he is much more in tune with his Saiyan heritage.

Unable to fall back asleep, I dive deep into some meditation. Going through all the changes I have experienced in the last 3 months. From my muscle growth to my Ki growth, much has changed. My magic has seen the largest gains, becoming much more fluid. This is because I need to generate everything myself. I can't pull water from the air like i do normally, so I manifest it myself. This repeated use of materialization has worked my magic muscles to the extreme. It also reminds me of some of the more dangerous abilities I should try while in here, namely light manipulation. Materialization is all fine and dandy, but the speed of light would be potent weapon for the enemies to come. Until I can find something I can materialize that is strong enough, it's more a hindrance than dangerous, my last fight showed me as much.

I also need to ask Goku about the Ki lightning he tagged me with. He should have sent it up into the air when he powered up then using that area explosion move to blind my Ki senses. If I was paying attention I would have noticed the static electricity prior to the attack. I must admit it was smooth, if I didn't have such a strong defense He would have won the fight right there.

With thoughts of tactics and techniques flowing through my mind, my meditation turned into a deep sleep as I drifted off to the land of dreams.

----The following evening---

SFX- "Ring... Ting... Ring.."

Goku-" Ha, That's it, it's done."

Ryan-" Not quite, we need to put some finishing touches on it."

Goku-" Whoa!, What's that?"

Ryan-" This is a machine we are going to use to help you get a good shape on that new staff of yours."

Goku-" What does it do?"

Ryan-" You pass the bar through here and diameter of the gap between these wheels shrinks just a bit and the machine helps push it along with these teeth here, if you enhance it with your Ki it should be able to do a nice job. I honestly didn't expect to get as far as we have, as quickly as we have, but we might as well try to get a nice final product. We can't have the girls making fun of your stick can we?"

In response to my question Goku just heads to the machine carrying the ridiculously heavy unfinished staff on his shoulder and begins to inspect it.

The machine I fashioned has two sets of -U- shaped wheels spread out from one another a few feet to help hold a bar properly as it feeds through. Each set has sharp edges that bite, grip, and push the metal forwards between them through a third set of smooth rollers that have a slightly smaller opening that ensures a nice round shape. Goku quickly figures it out and feeds the staff through while enhancing and cranking the machine while I heat the entirety of the staff to make it soft enough to shape.

After a few passes using smaller diameters each time, the staff grew to another foot in length. This was from being stretched and rounded, it is now slightly thinner than before. Once Goku was satisfied I had him put it back into the machine and step back as I cooled the glowing hot staff down with liquid nitrogen. The reaction was violent, but safe as it was well under control. the surprising part came after I finished and we got a look at the new staff I know I will come to regret making.

Goku-" Whoa!, did you know that would happen?"

Ryan-" No Goku, not at all."

The staff that has always been various shades of dark grey to black. Has gained a mirror like sheen to it. I can even see the color of our clothes being mixed in to the distorted reflections with the black and grey background.

Goku-" Can I touch it?"

Ryan-" Knock yourself out."

Goku heads up to the new staff, like Arthur pulling the sword from the stone, Goku releases the new staff from the machine with me close behind. I had no idea this would happen, but as long as it is strong I don't mind.

Goku-" It's as heavy as always, but It feels so smooth, it almost feels like I'm holding glass."

Ryan-" Hmm, would you like to give it a test?"

Goku-" A spar!?"

Ryan-" Kinda, but let's keep it weapons only. Just to test the new staff’s durability. I'll make a staff from quicksilver to match you, and we can start slow."

All too eagerly Goku takes a stance a few paces away. I'm already regretting my decision to make this for him, but there is no use in that. Pushing away my internal conflict, I pull up on my quicksilver and make a staff to match Goku's. I have a serious question about how well it'll hold up to Kachin that I'll be getting my answers to soon.

With a unknown sign of agreement, we began our match. Goku is no slouch and shows his experience in wielding a staff, even if it's q heavy, he moves well and stays low to the ground. While he knows how to fly, anchoring to the ground makes it far easier to wield it.

Ryan-" I suppose I'll attack."

I have plenty of experience fighting against the most hated power pole. using that experience I unleash a basic combo opener I have seen from Goku dozens, if not hundreds of times. It all starts with a misdirection, in the form of twirling the staff quickly and changing the grip to unleash a quick surprise strike. It can be done up close and as a surprise from afar with the power poles extension charm. I have been hit in the side an embarrassing amount of times, so when Goku blocked the first strike and his new staff held true, I was immeasurably disappointed that my revenge failed, while Goku looked like he found a lover in the new staff.

Ryan-" Are we fighting, or do you need a moment in private with your new staff?"

Goku-" I'm sorry Ryan, but I need to test this new staff, in a much more stressfull environment I'll be insisting on your aid, thank you for your compliance"

Before I can stop him Goku rushes me

Ryan-" Hey now!-

SFX-" hoooowlllllll"

The new staff howled as it ripped through the air coming towards my chest. I barely dodged out of the way in a flicker of speed and moved behind Goku.

Ryan-" I thought we were going to take it easy!".

Goku-" That was before I remembered the needle... About you interrupting Chi-Chi and I in the courtyard... And that sucker punch the other day. I told you I would get you back. Using the new staff on the day we finish it sounds like something that will grind your gears."

Ryan-" That's not fair!"

Goku-" What are you going to do about it? GG and Kashi aren't here."

Before I can respond, Goku visibly pulls on his Ki but doesn't enhance the staff, this is still a test afterall. I suppose if he wants a fight I'll have to give it to him.

   Ryan-" Let's see if that weapon can save you."

8