CH82 Exploring the Occupied town.
209 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dirt road showed some signs of use.  Ruts from past wagons or carriages made the ride bumpy.  The light rain and cool temperatures chilled the area.  Oddly, very little vegetation grew along the road.  At one point the road might have been cobblestones because there were rocks in the mud but lack of maintenance had left the area in a sorry state.

 

Fufi had gotten into her super suit before they crossed into the adjacent barony. “Phew, it looks like this thing works.  I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get in here.”

 

“Why is that?” Alex asked.

 

“Because, the monarch's law.  They ban Flamingos in their lands. It is part of how they are able to limit our access to good magical girl candidates.” Fufi’s suit ticked like a clock when she moved it.

 

Alex wound the key for good measure. “So if flamingos had access to human lands there would be more people forming contracts?  Why not just seek out non-humans like Fumi did with Sakura?”

 

Fufu shook her head and the puppet followed her movements. “Humans are the best choice.  Longer lived races advance in levels slower and the system caps their growth earlier than shorter lived races.  Otherwise the world would be controlled by elves, dwarves and gnomes.  Sakura will never be able to rise to the heights of Cosmos for example.”

 

“Hmm, weird.” Alex thought this was important but couldn’t grasp all the implications.

 

“Anyway, you did a good job with making this cute thing I’m wearing.  Cuteness defeats even monarchs that are controlled by demons.” Fufi cheerfully stated.

 

“Sometimes you have a strange way of viewing things.  I’d think a high level lord or lady would defeat a low level magical girl any day.” Alex shook her head.

 

“Yes and no, in a contest of cuteness, the power of cuteness always prevails.” Fufi said something strange again.

 

Alex shook her head, “I still don’t understand.”

 

“Think about it this way, in a contest of strength, what happens if one person doesn’t have strength as a stat?” Fufi tried again.

 

“I’d guess the one with the stat would win?  But how is that relevant?  Everyone has strength as a stat.” Alex furrowed her brow.

 

“That is true for anything living and native to this world.  Why would a ghost or something that doesn’t have a physical body have stats that apply to something they don’t have.” Fufi kept gushing about something weird. “Very few classes get cuteness as a stat.”

 

“I thought everyone had cuteness as a stat.” Alex was puzzled.

 

“Nope, most people have charisma, not cuteness.” Fufi waved her clockwork wings, though they moved much slower than if she wasn’t in the suit.

 

Alex still didn’t get it.  Why would the deities of this world make concessions to get Cosmos to retire?  She thought it was because Cosmos was the highest level person on the planet but from what Fufi said, it likely was not that simple.

 

After half a day’s bumpy damp journey they arrived at what passed for civilization in this area. A city about the same size as the ruin’s walls appeared in the distance.  Unlike Mignonville, this town was built as a port town.  It had docks on the east end and small farms with single houses in 10 acre lots that spanned the rest of the area. Alex guessed the population of the village would be somewhere greater than 100 but less than 1000. How many demons lived here on top of humans was not something the magical girl wanted to speculate on because some of them were not very big.

 

“I suppose we have to start acting like merchants and crafters now.” Alex eyed the soggy path to the main gate. “I never really was much of an actor but wish me luck.”

 

“I’ll play my part and act like a clockwork doll!” Fufi squawked excitedly about her role in the act. “A magical one!”

 

“I guess this is the last point where we can’t easily back out.  Wish us luck Fufi.” Alex took a deep breath, pulled a lever and the carriage rolled forward with a ticking noise.

 

“The power of friendship will prevail, we don't need luck!” Fufi cheered.

 

As they neared the main gate, some small demons and humans could be seen off in the distance.  The farmhouses looked solid but old and run down.  They had stone and sod walls.  The roofing consisted of grass.  There didn’t seem to be much use of wood in this barony.

 

The reason for the lack of wood was obvious.  Large fires dotted the edges of the agricultural area. Imps sat in a circle around the fires meditating. They looked like a bunch of three foot tall stoic monks, or perhaps just constipated. Apparently, the humans were required to keep fires going for the imps to do their cultivation thing.  Considering how big some of the fires could get, Alex feared for the roofs of the nearby buildings if there ever was a strong breeze.

 

Sadly, the humans working the fields looked gaunt.  Likely, the village would be just as much of a wasteland as the surrounding areas if not for classes, skills and magic.

 

As Alex approached the main gate several imps came out on top of the battlements.  “Ah, a travel dares approach the gates of our esteemed town?  How quaint.  What brings you to approach our sect?” One of the larger imps sounded full of itself. It wore a flowing red robe, which might have seemed impressive if not for the fact that it was only three feet tall.

 

“I’m Al..Alice.” Alex quickly came up with a fake name just in case. “I’m here as a merchant.”

 

“Pffft, the human knows not her place.  Address yourself as ‘this one’ when answering your betters.” The imp stuck its nose up in the air. “Your humble wares are of little consequence to me, but I shall grant you the opportunity to present your goods.  Of what wares do you peddle?”

 

“I…er…this one trades in clothing and toys.” Alex said.

 

“Bring your cart inside and my clanmates will inspect it.” The imp gestured them through the gate.

 

With a ticking noise the carriage entered the town.  The inside was not much better than the outside.  The dreary weather didn’t help, but the town looked very run down.  There were many small imps going about their business acting all important and the thin humans wore dirty clothing and kept their heads down.  All the people looked thoroughly defeated.  The town was in disrepair, the only striking thing was a large well-kept manor behind a large stone fence.  Oddly, that structure was spotless.  It even had trees growing in the yard surrounding it.

 

Alex brought the cart to a stop where the imps pointed her to go.  A group of robed imps surrounded the cart for inspection. “Perhaps, I shall deign to purchase something. Remember, my time is precious, and I have no patience for trifles.  Now, speak woman and tread lightly.”

 

Alex tried not to laugh at how ridiculously the imp acted.  

 

It was the size of a three year old.  They looked like bald, red-skinned, needle tooth, pointy eared three year olds.  Of note was the different color of skin compared to the second tier demon that they ran across in the frozen mountains.  Alex guessed that a demon’s skin color gave a hint to their cultivation path.  These ones might be fire cultivators, the traditional path for demons according to Fufi.

 

Alex took off the panels and showed them her wares.

 

“Let's break some stuff, that way we are fulfilling our summoning contract.  She doesn’t look like she’s suffering enough.” One demon cracked its knuckles and brandished the small claws.  “I’m going to tear some of those clothes.”

 

“Huh? Why, how am I supposed to trade damaged goods?” Alex thought the imp’s logic was weird.

 

“Not our problem.”  The imps, except for the one that was talking before all nodded.  “We all have the same deal for staying indefinitely on this plane of existence.  If we don’t do that the magic will break and we’ll go back to our native plane.”

The arrogant imp smacked the talkative imp across the back of his head. “Fool, don’t disclose the details of such things.  What are you, a child?  Contracts are only between the summoner and the summoned.”

 

The area devolved into an awkward silence.

 

“So um….are we done here or do you need anything else?” Alex hoped to make an exit because it sounded like she was eavesdropping on some private matters.

 

“There is an entering-town tax.” One demon sneered.  “Each of us gets one of these.” He pointed at the line of plushies from the first dungeon run.

 

Alex winced.  “Okay, but don’t take the one in armor.”  The plushies had been there for quite a while. They didn’t do much but were a nice reminder of the events in the first dungeon where old Alex thought swinging fists could lead to success. “That one is cursed.”

 

The demons avoided the hero doll.  Alex thought that he could sense its killing intent growing with demons in the area and wondered if they could as well.  One pull of a string and that stuffed toy might go on a rampage. They took more than half of the plushies.  It was a bit sad but Alex didn’t really have a choice.  This was a spy mission after all.

 

“Go human, set up in the main square.  You’ve wasted enough of our time.” 

 

Alex set up shop in the main square.  Imps didn’t frequent this part of town. Gaunt people came and inspected her wares.  Not many had money.  Several copper coins were traded for bolts of cloth.  Alex likely was getting ripped off but these people were living like refugees so she didn’t care.  

 

One child even eyed one of the plushies with desire.  Her mother shushed her and said they couldn’t afford something so lavish for a toy.  Alex gave the kid the plushy for free.  The mother thanked her and gave her a basket of berries as thanks. It was a bit heartwarming.

 

The villagers traded rusted hammer heads and other things that were probably worthless but to Alex, she could dust them off and make them like new.  Bringing some metals back would be a big help.  This town didn’t have a mine nearby so most of the tools were on their last legs.  Some people were able to get new tools but they came from other places.  Originally this town was a trading hub with most of the commerce coming from ships on the river.  They had a port that was deep enough for large ships to dock in the harbor.

 

“So there is no trade anymore because sea monsters will sink any ship that travels the river.  We only get the occasional merchant coming from overland like yourself.” An older man explained.  He traded some scrap metal for cloth.

 

Alex knew that wasn’t true but didn’t correct him. “So there are no ships in the harbor?”

 

The man shook his head.  “There are some sunken ships at the bottom of the harbor.  Who knows the condition they are in. Back in the day some people had small skiffs that they kept hoping the baroness would do something about but the sea creature, but the demons demanded them for their fires.”

 

“That is unfortunate.” Alex consoled the villager.

 

“Yes, Lady Yvne takes our sons and daughters to train them to be maids.  They don’t have a choice.  But what has she done for the town?  Things keep getting worse.” The man said this part in a whisper, a little worried someone might be listening in.

 

A familiar plaque hung from the side of a nearby building.  Fufi, posing as a clockwork doll, also pointed a beak at it.  “Is that an adventurer's guild?  I wonder what quests they have.”

 

The pair closed up shop and headed to the guild. The inside looked run down but was mostly frequented by imps.

 

“Hello, who is your master?  Are you here on his behalf?” A human woman dressed as a receptionist seemed a bit put off when Alex and Fufi entered.

 

“I don’t have one.  I’m a merchant.  I was just wondering what kind of quests were here.” Alex told her.

 

“Well, humans can only be adventurers if a demon recruits them into their party in this kingdom.”  The receptionist tried to keep a smile but some of the imps were glaring at them.  “Most of the quests are for items to help with cultivation.  There is a big one to collect the rumored 100 year old ginger from the forest.  There is also an open one for flammable materials to feed the pyres.” She paused. “But again, you’d have to ask one of the imp party leaders to let you into their party.  The easy stuff gets snatched up right away so only dangerous quests are available.”

 

“Is the forest that dangerous?”  Alex asked.

 

“Yes, hundreds of imps go missing trying to cross the swamp every year.  Not long ago, lady Yvne posted a quest to send a message to the ruined town but we’ve yet to hear what happened.” She waved a hand.  “Anyway, I suggest you don’t hang around here. You are irritating the regulars who are hoping something will come in that they can do without near certain death.”  She pointed at the door.

 

“Thank you, I’ll keep away from here.  Sorry to be a bother.  I mean, um, this one is sorry to waste your time.” Alex corrected herself.  Talking like that was hard to get used to.

 

The receptionist waved goodbye.  “Don’t worry about it, I’m not a sect member so you don’t have to speak to me with such language.” 

They left, and took the carriage up to the manor house.  Hopefully it wasn’t a crime to swing by, take a look and ask questions.

 

Alex pulled up to the gate.  Several red-skinned imps were guarding it.  They crossed spears in front of her when she pulled up.  “Where do you think you are going, human?  This is the Manor of Lady Yvne.  Do you have business here?”

 

“No, I’m just a merchant.  This is my first time visiting and I thought that this property was the best kept place in the town.” Alex tried to sound flattering. "My name is Alice."

 

“It is the best manor in the whole kingdom.  Lady Yvne trains the best maids.  Any human who joins her staff will come out as a maid with unequaled skill.” The demon seemed proud of the Baroness for some reason.  “Are you here to seek employment?  Keeping a household to the highest standards fit for nobility is no simple feat.”

 

Alex could tell that Fufi was not trying to laugh.  That flamingo had teased Alex about her prowess and how she’d make an excellent maid-type magical girl.

 

Alex scrunched up her face and considered.  Getting into the manor as a trainee might be a good way to spy but maid training would really make Fufi act all smug later on if she gained a lot of skill points.

5