Arc I – Chapter XII – Reversion
776 7 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Radiant Lodestar Aurora Cover

 

Arc 1 - Chapter 12 - Reversion

 

 

Earlier that day, a woman with mid-length red hair sat in her office chair in front of her computer, her fingers flying over her keyboard as she worked on her research.

 

Her brown eyes focused intensely on her computer’s monitor as she created a veritable wall of text in her word processor, faster than most people could type. She had a high word-per-minute rate, a stunning 178. 

 

“However does your brain manage to keep up pace, Sarashina-chan?” the red-headed Geologist’s colleague and friend teased. She had long black hair, framing a semi-beautiful face. If it wasn’t for her nose, she could be a model instead of a Geologist. The scientist with a somewhat bulbous nose took her ease in the chair on the other side of her friend’s desk.

 

“Hmmm? Please don’t distract me, Chiha. I’m close to finishing.”

 

“As though having a light chat would hurt anything.” Chiha pursed her lips.

 

Rolling her eyes, Sarashina finished her current paragraph and leaned back to stretch. “What’s on your mind? Is there any particular reason for why you’re distracting me?”

 

“... I wanted to discuss those strange seismic readings that you’re writing about.” Chiha laughed.

 

“Why?” Sarashina shrugged and turned to open the blinds in the window behind her. Sunlight warmly streamed through the window into the room and little flecks of dust, previously invisible to the eye danced in the air, illuminated by the sunbeams. “It’s not as though anyone will acknowledge my work either way.” She laughed.

 

“It’s not unusual to see some seismic activity on the upper edge of the ring of fire. I think you should reconsider submitting your paper.”

 

Rubbing her chin, Sarashina laughed, her tone musical. “I might lose some reputation if I do? I doubt that.”

 

“Well… no matter however it goes, I’ll acknowledge your work.” Despite her supportive words, Chiha’s lips twisted. “But… I still find your hypothesis that some outside force causing these tremors in Stellaris… unbelievable.”

 

“As you know, Chiha,” Sarashina shrugged as she said, “there are no volcanoes to be found anywhere in Stellaris, despite the fact that we are inside the hotspot.” Sarashina smiled as she stretched her back to ease a small ache. “That, in itself, is strange. The island is strangely quiet and geologically stable.”

 

“Exactly my point, my friend.” Chiha said seriously. “I’d say it’s only a matter of time before the ground erupts and a volcano or something else takes form.”

 

Shaking her head negatively, Sarashina chuckled. “I doubt that will happen. There’s no evidence that there are any pockets of lava building up under Stellaris. I must say that I miss hotsprings. If it happened, I would probably celebrate with you.”

 

“About that, we could fly back to Japan for a weekend sometime soon and spend a little time at an onsen,” Chiha quickly suggested, keeping her expression flat.

 

“... Liar!” Sarashina covered her mouth, laughing. “You didn’t want to talk about my research, did you?” her nose crinkled. 

 

“Caught!” Chiha threw her hands up into the air as she giggled. “I’ve been thinking for months now that I need some kind of relief. Not to mention, it would be wonderful to see my family while there. It’s been too long since I’ve seen my aunt. What about your family? Have they met your son yet? What about your husband’s family over in America?”

 

“Since having my child, we haven’t left Stellaris.” Sarashina shrugged and nodded. “Maybe you’re right. It’s about time… except that it would be best to wait for the summer break. I’ve never much cared for weekend getaways anyway. They all feel too short and the vacation ends up feeling too rushed.” With a shake of her head Sarashina went on, “… My mother always wanted us to visit, but there’s never enough time, or rather it’s never the right moment. My work keeps me busy.”

 

“You can’t just work yourself to death.” Chiha scowled. “While I admire your work ethic, I have to warn you that if you focus on your career to the exclusion of everything else in your life, you’ll pay for it later. Take some time to take a breather, Sarashina.”

 

Nodding, Sarashina decided that this summer she would try to make the time to relax. The idea of taking a grand vacation to both countries appealed to her for some reason now.

 

“Well?” Chiha asked.

 

Sarashina’s lips twisted and she nodded. “I’ll see what I can do.”

 

Chiha grinned broadly. “Excellent! Would you mind if I tagged along …” Chiha said, running fingers through her dark hair. Interrupting her, Sarashina’s window filled with a blinding light that blinded the two.

 

Sarashina maintained her eyesight for a fraction of a moment longer than Chiha with her back to the window and at that moment she experienced a twinge in her chest and blinked as she was momentarily blinded and her eyes watered. Her own mother’s intuition was going wild. What was going on?

 

Was it a sun flare that just went off or had another country attacked Stellaris without warning?

 

Was Kenneth okay?

 

Radiant Lodestar Aurora - Scenebreak

 

“Welcome Lodestar Aurora.” Colorful animals resembling ones from Earth said in unity. In perfect sync, smiling together at the exact same moment at Kenneth. “We are the gods of light, known as Felicitas.”

 

“Thank you for your great sacrifice and service,” they intoned together. “We imagine that you might have a few questions.”

 

The room blurred for a moment, and suddenly Kenneth found himself transported to the center of the Felicitas’s circle. Kenneth had the impression that the world moved instead of him this time. They were all gazing inwardly at him now. He somehow felt trapped.

 

“U-um…” Kenneth racked his brain to find a question. He should have a ton of questions flooding inward, but put on the spot, they all flew out of his mind like butterflies in a stiff breeze. “W-will I be able to go back to my normal life now?”

 

They looked at each other, ping ponging looks at each other for a long moment and with a flicker, before Perkons teleported onto Kenneth’s shoulder. “That’s uncertain. You need only to try to undo your transformation.”

 

Kenneth looked at Perkons with shock at his sudden appearance there. “H-how do I do that?”

 

With a small tooth-filled smile, Perkons said, “Think about laying aside the light, think about losing your wings. Imagine returning to your human form.”

 

“I’m not human anymore?” Kenneth exclaimed. “Am I some kind of an alien or monster now?”

 

“No. You’re still quite human, but you’re also a Lodestar now. The light has changed you profoundly. Like all Lodestaran, you remain fundamentally unchanged… but the light hasn’t changed any Lodestaran to the degree required to make you a suitable container.”

 

The Felicitas nodded together and watched intently, waiting expectantly for Kenneth to try. 

 

“Don’t hesitate. You won’t explode or anything. In fact, you’re quite fortunate that you did not before,” Perkons said humorously.

 

Kenneth didn’t see much humor in Perkon’s statement.

 

“... I didn’t think that he would explode.” One of the Felicitas in the circle spoke up and the rest turned to look at him. “... It was … theoretically feasible for a male to become a Lodestar. I’ve long theorized about that.” The fuzzy eyebrows of the others raised and the one that spoke looked away.

 

“Preposterous!” Another scowled. “It’s dangerous. Have you any idea…”

 

“It was necessary. Order.” Perkons said loudly.

 

“What about Ai?” All the Felicitas in the circle scowled together inwardly at Perkons.

 

“As you all know, she is damaged, unfit for any duty outside light therapy.”

 

With a bright flash of light filling the room, Kenneth finally found the right feeling deep inside that triggered a reversion of his transformation. He gritted his teeth while the Felicitas discussed over his head.

 

He was focusing inwardly, trying to release this sense of strength and power. He pictured releasing the light, pushing it away for a time. It didn’t come easily since the light swirled wildly inside his female form. It wasn’t easy to dismiss, but he fought as hard as he ever did on the Basketball court as he played the game against and with his friends Nick and Jared.

 

Kenneth was unable to breathe. His chest was tight and his heart hammered. There was a crushing sensation. He felt like he was having a heart attack and he went to his knees.

 

Radiant Lodestar Aurora - Scenebreak

 

Please check out Assurbanipal II's work. I also want to mention MajorKerina, who has been writing much longer than myself.

Well, I thought I was clear of the property seizure. The website for payments still isn't reflecting the payment. So it's still in question. >.>  Today is supposedly a Holiday, so I guess I have to wait another day to find out if it's a glitch.

I figure posting later in the day might land RLA on the main page sometime, but it's hard to say... *shrugs* Probably won't happen.

Thanks for reading!

34