13 – The first step is always yours
2.9k 17 105
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*****

"Hm? Now I wonder what got her looking like that?" Finn mumbled to himself upon noticing the strange girl's dreaded expression.

Most likely a trauma, or maybe she fears social interactions? Either way, keeping an eye on her wouldn't hurt. I'll leave Riveria to that, it was her that the girl first approached when she conveyed her desire to come along. Perhaps Loki is right to call her mommy?

While Finn was pondering about the next steps he should take regarding their strange companion, the girl in question is starting to have a mental crisis. A single glance at her face is all one would need to understand what she feeling.

Afraid

Of what might happen. If she would be accepted still, or would she be chased away. If she would be welcome into their home again.

Anxious

Of their reactions. If they would be happy to see her, or if they would be mad at her. For what she did, for all the problems she has brought.

Worried

She might do the same and bring even more trouble to her already full plate.

Worried

That her apologies wouldn't be accepted.

Worried

That she will never-

Her eyes widen as she shakes her head to rid it of her thoughts.

Don't go there, it's fine! I just have to avoid them. Everything will be fine as long as I avoid them… right?

Her thoughts were cut off as the flaming bird leaned its beak down to her as if to attempt to comfort her. She looks at the bird, her eyes soft. She wipes the tear that has started to form under her eyes with the sleeves of her cloak.

She looks the bird in the eye and nods, "Right, there's no need to worry. We're just here to collect our supplies and then we'll leave and it will be like nothing ever happened. That's right."

The bird stares at her for a moment before nodding and standing straight up. It flaps its wings a few times and stands comfortably by her side. The girl hums in satisfaction and turns her head to the city in the distance.

It's gonna be fine.

Is what she hopes.

She snapped out of her own stupor when she noticed that she has fallen behind by a few meters. It's not like she needed to catch up to them, it was unnecessary. But perhaps she liked the feeling that the passing people mistook her for a member of this group. That to the eyes of others, she belonged to something.

It hasn't even been thirty minutes when they finally reached the line into the city, not even ten minutes when it was their turn to be inspected and enter the city. It was too fast, everything was happening too fast. She needed more time to prepare herself for whatever could happen, for whatever would happen.

But deep inside, she wanted something to happen. She wanted someone from the pub to call out to her, she wishes that they still have not forgotten her.

It's difficult, to wish for something that you fear. It is confusing, to wish for something that you hope will not happen.

The guards did not bother to inspect the baggage of the girl with the monster bird. The Loki Familia vouched for them. Instead, they just stared at her, waiting for when she will step into the city like the rest of the familia.

The bird takes a glance at the conflicted gaze of the girl. Huge bag on his back, he steps into the city, stirring guards and civilians into a commotion, efficiently snapping the girl out of her own head as she looks at him in disbelief. 

Her eyes gaze at him in fright. Was he not seen as a monster by the people? Was it not him that informed her that? Wouldn't it be dangerous for him to enter the city? These questions swirled within her mind, however, there was one question that stick out from the rest the most. If a supposed monster was allowed into the city…

Would I be allowed to step in too..?

As if he could read her mind, the fiery bird nods his head. Confirming the thoughts of the conflicted girl.

The people behind her have started to become impatient, but those who are watching her have looks of anticipation for the little girl. For them, watching this young girl face her own fears was such a sweet sight.

Hands shaking, hyperventilating, the girl raises her boots to step into the city that she has once abandoned. She walks in, eyes closed, the sounds of her own boots making contact with the ground ring within her ears until she bumped into the warm feathers of her companion bird.

She opened her eyes to the sight of the bird's chest. Behind him was the group she has been following, leisurely walking while sneaking a few glances her way. Worry evident in their eyes.

Nothing changed, there was no need to be scared. It's just a city, a huge city. Now she just has to hurry to the marketplace and stockpile vegetable supplies. Replace what she lost, and maybe add more for the trouble the fools caused her. There was nothing to be afraid of, no matter how unlucky she may be, there was just no way she would meet someone from the pub the same day she arrived. Just have to hurry and buy those supplies and head out by the end of the day, and done!

A smile makes its way onto her face.

"Let's go, Bird! We have some shopping to do!" With the help of her magic, she hopped onto the massive bag atop the bird and comfortably sat on it.

The sight left most onlookers either speechless, baffled, surprised, or frightened, while the minority looked at the scene in awe of the adorable duo.

"She sure is stirring quite the attention, isn't she?" Finn mutters to himself as he watched the others unload some disposable baggage.

"Who cares about her, just get her the vegetable or whatever and kick her out already." Bete, who has ignored the girl for most of the journey, finally spoke up about his opinions of her.

Finn ignores the rude remark and approaches Riveria. His smile was ever present on his face. Riveria takes notice of the approaching pallum.

"Do you need anything, Finn?" She asks, already having an inkling of what he is planning.

Out of all the members who joined him on that small journey, it was probably Riveria the girl trusted the most, however small that trust might be it was still something. And unknown to them, they would be right to assume so.

The barrier that the girl has erected was supposed to push out anyone who had malicious thoughts toward her. But it was unknown to her if that function would work and she had expected the barrier to simply push anyone out with no exceptions, but to her surprise, it let the elf in. Now, she does not know if her barrier was simply malfunctioning, but that has never happened. That particular event that morning has increased the girl's opinion of the high elf.

"Although I'm sure you're already aware of what my request would be, I'll ask anyway. Could you please escort the girl to the marketplace? Of all of us here, it was only you that the girl voluntarily approached. That makes me believe that she sees you in a better light than she sees the rest of us. Would you be willing to do this for me, please?" Finn finishes his request and awaited the elf's answer.

He didn't have to wait much as the elf was more than up for the task. Even if she wouldn't let it show on her expression.

"Very well, I'll see what I can do. But by the off chance that she pushes me away, I am returning to the manor just like the rest of us." Accepting the task, Riveria turned her back toward the pallum and headed in the girl's direction. She was sketching on some parchment with a quill. Perhaps a list?

Finn's smile grows by a bit and he nods in confirmation, "Of course. Here's to hoping that you two do not run into any troublesome God or Goddess. Especially Loki." He continues on his way as he leaves the elf and the girl to their own devices.

Riveria frowns at the thought, "Indeed."

If Loki were to take notice of the girl, it could be troublesome. Who knows how she would react to this girl, specially when she's quite an adorable girl.

Riveria continues on her way to the girl who is currently going through her huge backpack… sack?

"Excuse me!" Not knowing how to refer to the girl, she just shouted the next thing that came into mind when calling for someone.

By the time she called out to her, the girl pulled out what seemed to be a brown cloak that is way oversized for her. She wore it atop her already oversized robe. Now none could tell if she was just a small girl or a pallum. You cannot even tell what gender she is anymore. And you cannot even see her eyes under the robe.

"This should do it!" The girl shouted, her fist clenched under the cloak.

"Oh, you're there." The girl finally noticed the elf who has been staring at her antics this whole time.

Should I just take the valis or should I take her with me?

"Hmmm… What to do with you…" Finger on her cheeks, the girl pondered. If it wasn't for the cloak, it would have been an adorable sight.

I can't have her carry things for me so maybe I'll just let her hang around and pay for things I buy?

Although the girl brought with her a good chunk of the valis she has back in her house these people must repay her.

Right, I can just do that. I pick up, she pays.

The girl unmounted the huge backpack and jumped down the bird. Retracing what she remembered from five years ago, the girl headed for the marketplace that is hopefully still a market. Glancing behind, she confirmed that the elf is following her just as she had wished. The bird was walking just beside her.

Just have to make sure to avoid the routes around the pub.

Upon a few confusing turns here and there, she could pick up the sounds and voices of citizens bartering with each other from the distance. The place has changed by a decent amount. She almost got lost because she could not recognize some of the shops. They were either missing or changed a lot. That one store that primarily sold cabbages is no longer there, while that honey shop is now a bakery. A lot of things could change in five years it seems.

As she took in the sight of the new market, she finally reached the food market where everything she needed is on display and more. She looks at the elf meaningfully and started picking up the nearest thing on her list. The vendor determines how much it cost and she looked at the elf meaningfully. Thankfully, the old elf understood the assignment and handed the vendor the valis.

"Much less an escort, I am more like the wallet here… although she seemed lost, she made it here on her own." Riveria frowns.

Her frown deepens, "Why do I feel like something bad is about to…" Before she could even finish her sentence, the bad feeling made itself known.

"Ah, Riveria! Finn told me back in the manor that you had something important to do in the marketplace so I thought I'd join. Also, I brought Ais with me." Loki, the Goddess head of the Loki familia, has revealed herself.

Not far from the two is the hooded girl, blissfully ignorant of the soon-to-be annoying Goddess.

*****

This did not go the way it was planned, but I like it anyway. Chapter 13 was supposed to be about another thing, I even have an outline for up to chapter 19, and this chapter ruins like 80% of that. So yeah, down the drain that outline goes. That aside…

I'm so fucking mad. So mad that I won't even bother censoring my own swears. Like, FUCKING HELL, MAN! I hate it when I lose so much progress to freaking accidental tab closes. FUCKING DAMN IT. I was in my immersed state and I work better in that state, damn it. This could have been posted yesterday.

105