Chapter 25: The Dead and the Invitation
1k 12 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took a few days for everything to get back to normal, and for all the new people to settle in, turns out we had about 10 new students move into the dorms, some of which were transfers and others were students who already attended the school like Erina. I also got a new tablet sourced which Nurse Jousset delivered to me. It was a bit bigger and a bit newer than my old one, and also had a chunky case on it to protect it, with it came a notice that the Nurse was holding a party this evening in the common room at the end of the hall. I hadn’t actually gone there in my time here yet. The Nurse left me be and continued down the hall towards the south end.

I quickly set up the tablet and went to go talk to Erina about the party. Shuffling down the hallway towards the north end in my lounge clothes felt natural and homely now, not even any of the normal students milling about gave me many stares either, which was fun. I was starting to be considered normal.

Maeve ducks a head out of her room. “Oh hello Sylvie off somewhere?” I do a little hand gesture to signify horns. “Oh on your way to see Erina, want to go get something to eat soon?” I nod and hold up 5 fingers to signify minutes. “Cool I’ll be outside my room” I kept on moving towards Erina’s room, which was also in the direction of the common room. I knock on her door which opens after some shuffling on the inside.

“Sylvie! Morning!” I pull my new tablet out of my bag.

I can speak again! New Tablet!

“Great. Thats what slip you got there?”

Oh you haven’t got one yet? I guess she wanted to give me the tablet first. Take a look

I hand her the notice and she scans it with her gorgeous blue eyes, I could hear music faintly playing in the background, some sort of pop song. She had a set of weights out and I could assume she was working out.

“A party? Perhaps I can get you into that dress again?” she winks at me.

Only if I can see you in something femme for once yourself” I wink right back. She dressed practically, and usually in a butch tank top, which was sexy in its own way but I wanted to see her in a dress too. It was only fair.

“Fiiine, I’ll get dressed up too for it”

Oh and Maeve invited me for lunch today, you coming too?

“You know it! Go get dressed, can’t go in what is basically your pajamas Sylvie” she attempted to poke my cheek, but I nodded so she accidentally poked me in the eye. “Oh my god I’m so sorry!” I flinched and stumbled, blinking furiously. It didn’t hurt like I expected but was still a shock to my system.

No! Its okay!” I rub it and regain my composure, the green tinge my new eyes gave off returning back to being a steady constant as I stopped having to blink too hard. We were just looking at each other awkwardly, not knowing what quite to say.

“Sorry. That was my bad” Erina murmurs, ducking her head and looking super apologetic.

Its okay its okay. I’ll go get dressed” I gave her a little wave and went back to my room to get dressed. It felt really bad seeing her apologise like that, but nevermind. Just got to forget about it and think about the party..

***

With my special lunch in hand from the back of the kitchen, I joined Maeve and Erina on one of the tables in the canteen. They’d fetched theirs from the front like normal. Erina had gone for a chicken salad wrap and an energy drink whilst Maeve was eating a sandwich from a vending machine. They were talking about the party, and whilst Erina sat properly, Maeve was being herself and slouching with a knee resting on the table.

“You two are dressing up?” she looks at me as I arrive at the table. I nod. “I don’t have anything all that fancy to wear-” she pauses to take a bite of her sandwich. “Why anyway? Its just a small party for us arrivals to get to know each other. Break the ice and stuff, don't need to dress properly smart for it, just smart-caz y’know?”

“I took her dress shopping for the autumn festival performance, I thought it’d be a shame for it to get worn only once” Erina chirps up, taking a swig of her drink. I move to her side of the table and twang her horn with a finger. Setting my tray down on the table. “Ow! I remember that I’d promise to get dolled up too. Don’t worry about it”

“Oh I see, its a couples thing” Maeve smirks and we both blush. I remain silent and get on with eating. I was glad that Mr Lawrence had a variety in his constantly refilled collection of meats. He apparently goes to the butchers every week to pick out the best for me, which is awfully kind of him. He was a very passionate cook.

“Well what about you Maeve? Found yourself a boyfriend or...a girlfriend perhaps?” Erina asks, finishing off her wrap. Maeve responds with a wince and a shrug.

“Not been in a relationship in a little while, my previous ones haven’t been anything serious, y’know. Never got onto any of the real ‘bases’ ya know”

“I see” Erina takes a final gulp of her can before scrunching it up and lobbing it into the bin behind us.

“I just haven’t found anyone I’ve struck that sort of chord with you know? Plus I’ve been considering all my options and... I think I’m probably bi?”

That's cool! Its not as if we’re straight so...we’re not gonna judge you

“I’m not like, sure though?” She shrugs.

“Take all the time you need” Erina gives her a smile. “I wasn’t sure about my feelings for a long time. I never told anyone until Sylvie here came along and I knew I needed to be there for her”

Its good you’ve told us, no-one should bottle it up like silly Erina did” I tug at her sleeve, she never told me about this before.

“Thanks, its seeing you two so happy that I feel safe enough confiding in you two. Perhaps I’ll join you in dressing up. I might have something..” I put my hand on the middle of the table and looked at them both, Erina got the idea quickly and placed her hand on top of mine. We both look expectantly at Maeve, who takes a moment to get what we were after. “Oh I seeeeee” she says with her singsong accent. And places her slightly larger hand on top of the pile.

With my free hand I quickly tap out my next message. “Heres to getting fancy!

“Heres!” they say in unison, causing a few of the others in the canteen to give us odd looks. We all laughed (Well I tried) and then we settled down and I continued to eat.

***

Meanwhile elsewhere in the college…

Cadence stepped out of the office with a look of relief on her face. The previous month had been hell. Between studying by herself under house arrest and many sessions of emotional therapy she felt...better now that she was given her freedom back.

Her trauma had caused her to spiral and spiral into a deep angry depression, and this had resulted in her to take it out in an act of violence that was...not her. An evil monster that had taken away her control and had forced her into action. And now finally she feels...relieved and...guilty. She pauses in the corridor as the door closes behind her.

“I need to see her” she mutters under her breath. She wanted so badly to make it right, but how would Sylvie react? Did she traumatise her? Would she still consider her a monster? She shook her head to remove those thoughts. She has to do it, to make things correct and right again, and maybe. Maybe they could be friends. She did seem like a nice person after all.

She strides off in the direction of the dorms, first she must apologise to the Nurse, and ask about where Sylvie could be at this moment. She was sure that the Nurse would know, she wanted someone else to be there too, so that Sylvie would trust that she was genuine. She had to know she was genuine. She didn’t want to scare her anymore, she didn’t want to cause her any more harm. She had caused enough already.

She unzipped a pocket and pulled out a stress ball and clamped down hard on it. She knew it was going to be a long road to forgiveness. Her anger was gone and spent, its space now taken up with regret and the desire to improve herself. “I’m so sorry..” she whispers to no-one in particular.

 

Announcement
Its a little shorter but I wanted to save the party for the next chapter. It'll likely be the most character I've had to write in a single scene! Please remember to comment and maybe drop a constructive review!
48