OCTOBER IN REVIEW (LIFE AND AUTHOR UPDATES0
205 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Greetings all,

 

In September I didn’t write one of these. (I kind of did for Patreon). That’s because on September 30th I finished up the entire EEE series. Book five clocked in at a massive 170,000 plus words, the longest, because it was unplanned originally and had to wrap up all the things. I still didn’t, not really, and some day in the far future perhaps I’ll return to where the story left off. It would be a much different style of book if I did, something cozier.

Anyway.

In October I took the first few days off to edit a book for money. And also work for another freelance client for money. And also begin reading another manuscript for yet another client for money. I’m basically penniless and scrambling for every dollar I can make legitimately. Also the extra work helps stave off existential dread.

Because here’s the thing: I went and got an MRI for my neck. (Remember that? The thing I started complaining about in April? Well it still wakes me up in the middle of the night, still causes me to put icy hot all over myself, still requires midnight ibuprofen). The doctor said ‘well, no tingling or numbness, no nerve damage, you’re good… but since you got an MRI let’s take a look… oh it turns out two of your disks are pressing on your spinal cord and that probably hurts.’

Yeah no shit.

I then received ten injections in something called TPI (Trigger Point Injection), which was the second most painful thing I’ve experienced in my life.

It’s been a painful eight straight months with zero breaks from the pain. But back to the writing!

Since Evan was at his adventure’s end, I decided to take a long break and… yeah just kidding. I started working on book 1 of the project I’m calling Get Lucky. Throughout October, starting from the 5th, when I should’ve been preparing for NaNoWriMo, I instead put 67,000 words together on Get Lucky, about half a book.

I’m pretty happy with how it’s going, and I hope that by the end of November I’ll have book 1 finished and ready to start throwing on Royal Road and ScribbleHub.

So what’s it about?

Get Lucky starts with a transforming earth, an apocalypse brought on by a battle between two factions of incredibly powerful mages. Our hero wakes up at ground zero and has his life saved by one of those factions, then watches as the other faction snuffs them out.

Our intrepid hero then has to figure out what just happened, how far the changes to earth are, and how to navigate a new system the mages have unleashed on the world.

This means figuring out the deck building system and the cards he finds laying about everywhere, assembling an adventuring party, and rescuing his best friends, if they’re still alive.

Oh and building a little harem along the way.

I’m hoping November is a little calmer than October… I gave midterms to students, read 2 books, edited another book, and endured 11 needle jabs. I’m looking forward to perhaps creating a boxed set of EEE books, which have a single unifying image across the 5 spines, and moving that to Kickstarter for perhaps January or February. Look forward to that!

Happy Halloween and happy upcoming Thanksgiving, to all of you who celebrate. And happy all-other-holidays to those of you reading from outside the USA and having your own festive to-dos.

3