Chapter 21
2.3k 7 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, as I doing my swordsmanship training with Kent, I saw several black hooded figures enter the mansion, they looked really suspicious.

 

But the guards didn’t stop. They made their way inside the mansion; the servants seem to avoid them.

 

Seeing me watching them, Kent said, “You are wondering why the guards let them in, right?”.

 

I looked at him and asked, “Yes, why are we letting suspicious people like that in?”.

 

Kent laughed and said, “Hah hah. Yes, suspicious is probably the right word. Well, they are assassins and spies in service of the Duchy. Thy work directly under the Duke.”.

 

I was surprised so I exclaimed loudly, “What Assassins? But, how come I have never seen or heard about them.”.

 

Kent shrugged and said, “That’s because they mostly work in secret. They rarely come out in broad daylight. Secret, deceit lies, that’s how they do their work.”, Kent said the last sentence with a look of disdain.

 

Clearly, he disliked them quite a lot. But it made sense, he is a Knight after all, they value honor and integrity, the works of assassins and spies are distasteful to them.

 

But, hearing about this does make me interested. I need to talk to father about this.

 

After my swordsmanship training was completed and I wiped my sweat off and had a drink, I decided to go talk to father first before I took a bath.

 

Father is a really busy person so I might not be able to meet him later today so I decided to make use of this opportunity.

 

Oh, the assassins have left by this time.

 

I went to my father’s office and knocked on the door.

 

KNOCK! KNOCK!

 

“Who is it?”, came my father’s voice from inside.

 

“It’s me father. I have something important to talk about.”, I said.

 

“Come in!”, said father. “Excuse me.”, I said as I opened the door.

 

I went in father’s office as I saw him being immersed in piles of documents.

 

Seeing that I felt disturbing him. Father looked up from his documents and asked, “Yes, what can I do for you.”.

 

I said, “Ah, I was just wondering, about those assassins I saw earlier.”.

 

Hearing that father me an ‘oh face’ and said, “So, you saw them huh? Anyway, it doesn’t matter, you would have to know about them eventually anyway. Yes, they are assassins and spies for the Duchy. You see son, sometimes they are things that you cannot solve if you approach it straightforwardly and you have to use….ahem, underhanded methods….”.

 

He them paused, unable to find the right words. To relieve him of his dilemma I said, “Don’t worry about it father, I understand that it’s necessary, I didn’t come here to question you about that.”.

 

It’s not like I am saint or anything.

 

Hearing that father looked relieved and he said, “I-I see. Then what did you come here to ask me about.”.

 

I said, “Umm yes, but before that I have a question about the assassins.”.

 

“Yes, ask.”, said father.

 

“Well, umm…they should be able to hide their presence quit well isn’t it?”, I asked.

 

Father looked a little dumbfounded at the question but he answered, “Yes, I suppose so, that’s part of their job I guess.”.

 

Yes, I got exactly what I wanted.

 

So, I put in a big smile and said, “Father, I want to learn the assassin’s craft.”.

 

Father’s face immediately turned serious and he said, “No, absolutely not. We are nobles, why would you want to learn something like that.”.

 

“Because hiding myself will be useful when running away from monsters in dungeons. So, please father.”, I said with a pleading voice, trying to make my eyes as starry and as appealing as possible.

 

Well, it’s not exactly false but I also want to learn it as it’s an efficient way of defeating my enemies, I aim for practicality. I don’t care for that honor nonsense that Nobles and Knights have.

 

“…But to learn from assassins..”, said father doubtfully.

 

“Please father.”, I said with the most appealing voice possible.

 

Father sighed and said, “Sigh, alright. But I am only agreeing to this as I trust the assassins, otherwise I would never have agreed to this.”.

 

“Thank you, father.”, I said happily.

 

Yes, it’s a success.

 

“But., keep it a secret from your mother, ok? She will be furious if she finds out that I let you learn from that. She absolutely detests them.”, said father.

 

“Yes, I understand father.”, I said. Yes, it will be a pain in the ass to convince her so she’s better off not knowing.

 

Father then said, “I will talk with them and let you know later about the training schedule, so you can go for now, as you can see, I am very busy.”.

 

“Yes, father.”, I said and left. The rest of the day passed normally.

75