Chapter 54: Machination of Saints
519 8 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An ear-splitting roar filled the air. The Human Temple trembled under its volume.

The human warriors glanced up with worry. Per their ancestor and the two sovereigns’ orders, they were arduously cultivating. Though they may not show themselves or receive humanity’s worship, they were the staunchest guardians of humanity. Should humanity ever face a catastrophe, they would appear and guard them.

“NOOO!” Wutian howled in pain. Xuanyuan’s death was a nail impaling his soul. Madness filled his eyes as he gritted his teeth so hard, his gums bled.

“Martial Ancestor, please calm yourself!” Fuxi said. He grabbed Wutian’s shoulder to prevent him from charging out of the human temple and wreaking havoc.

Shennong grabbed his other shoulder and said, “Sovereign Fuxi is right. Not all hope is lost. Look, the Purple Majesty Qi from Xuanyuan’s body transferred to his sister. As long as Xuanyi defeats Chiyou, humanity will not be harmed by the Titan Tribe.”

The madness receded from Wutian’s eyes, but his body still trembled. He clenched his fist so hard, his veins appeared on the back of his hands. “Fuxi, Shennong, you can let go now. I’ve calmed down.”

Fuxi and Shennong shared a glance. Although they were afraid Wutian would go mad, they let go of him but remained close, just in case Wutian was faking.

Wutian saw their thoughts, but he did not blame him. In fact, he was really thinking of going and killing Chiyou and the other resurrected giants, but then what? Even if he killed them, Wutian didn’t believe he could stop the Saints from splitting the Karmic Luck of humanity.

‘No, only when humanity has its own Golden Warrior of the Primordial Origin can it truly become independent from the machination of Saints.’ Wutian’s eyes hardened as determination filled him. ‘Although Master said it is not a good thing for me to reach the Primordial Origin Realm, she isn’t human and can’t see it from our view. Who is willing to be a sheep led by others? Humanity must have freedom!’

“Fuxi, Shennong, I’m going to take a top-grade innate spiritual artifact from the treasury and use it to sever a Corpse,” Wutian suddenly said.

Fuxi and Shennong glanced at Wutian, not understanding why he wanted to cultivate Hongjun’s Way of Three Corpses. Both of them cultivated the Immortal Path but have never severed a Corpse. That didn’t mean they couldn’t, only that it was unnecessary.

Was it because both of them reached the Half-Saint Realm while he remained stagnant in the Quasi-Saint Realm?

Wutian had contributed most of the spiritual artifacts in the Human Temple, but he had laid down a rule that only after the majority of the human leaders agreed could someone take out the resources. Currently, the human leaders only included Wutian and the two sovereigns, but there would be seven more joining in the future, including Text Ancestor Cangjie.

The Human Temple only had a few innate spiritual artifacts and only one top-grade innate spiritual artifact. Although Wutian already had an innate spiritual artifact, the two sovereigns agreed. In their eyes, Wutian wouldn’t harm humanity, and he must have a reason for taking out the top-grade innate spiritual artifact and severing a Corpse.

“Thank you,” Wutian said. He turned around and walked toward the treasury.

“Aren’t you going to watch until the end?” Fuxi asked.

Wutian shook his head. “No need. The Saints will never allow a spawn of the Titan Tribe to become humanity’s leader.”

A day later, a powerful pressure descended onto the Human Temple and the surrounding land. It expanded to a thousand li, two thousand li, five thousand li, ten thousand li, thirty thousand li, sixty thousand, and ninety-thousand li. It only halted once it reached ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine li.

Accompanying the pressure was Wutian’s voice that howled in the ears of all life within the radius of the pressure.

“SEVER!”

The word echoed several times, growing fainter with each repetition until it resembled a fleeting breeze.

Inside the Martial Hall of the Human Temple, Wutian looked at his Corpse. His Corpse looked almost identical to him, but aged. Coupled with his white attire, he resembled an amicable grandfather that everyone wanted to get close to.

“From now on, your name is Haoren.”

The white-robed Haoren nodded and then merged with Wutian. He sighed. ‘I originally thought I could sever my obsession, but in the end, I could only sever my good thoughts. No wonder those who have severed their Corpses only severed their good and evil thoughts. Still, I didn’t expect such a surprise. Should I say, as expected of the Dao Ancestor?’

Wutian never expected to raise his cultivation by severing a Corpse. For his future plan, he simply needed a Corpse, but now, the shackles on his cultivation had loosened. Wutian was confident he could ascend to the Half-Saint Realm within an eon.

Once he reaches the Half-Saint Realm, he’d visit his master and ask for her aid.


Chiyou spat out a mouthful of blood as he staggered backward. A gash tore through his hand and reached up through his arm and across his chest. Blood flowed from it nonstop. He grunted, contracting his muscles and stopping the flow of the blood. However, the wound did not heal, and the exposed muscles pulsated.

With his wound temporarily dealt with, Chiyou’s eyes drifted toward the Golden Immortal that clashed with him.

The collision had sent Xuanyi hundreds of meters back, leaving a long gouge in the ground. Like him, Xuanyi also spat out a mouthful of blood, but unlike him, blood flowed continuously out from her pale lips. Sweat dripped down her temples as she gritted her teeth.

Although her bones had not shattered to dust, not a single one wasn’t fractured. Furthermore, the impact had severely damaged her internal organs. Blood leaked from all her orifices.

Still, Xuanyi’s hand still gripped Titanslayer as she glared resolutely at Chiyou. Even he had to admire her courage.

But that was it. Admiring was one thing; letting her live was another. Chiyou ran toward her. In her current state, a single stomp was enough to kill her.

Many people, including Li Yingqiong and Cangjie, moved to stop him. Many more, however, stayed still or fled after losing morale when Chiyou killed Xuanyuan. The few that moved to save Xuanyi could not reach her in time. Not even Cangjie’s Human Script could hinder the leader of the Jiuli Tribe enough to save Xuanyi.

Chiyou’s eyes flashed with light as he raised his foot high, ready to trample Xuanyi to death. But when his feet reached their peak, a pressure descended from the sky. When he looked up, he saw the clouds parting, making way for a mountain-sized seal.

This was the Heaven Reversing Seal, a top-grade innate spiritual artifact refined by the Heavenly Venerable of Primordial Origin for his eldest disciple, Guang Chengzi.

Chiyou didn’t have time to do anything else but protect himself by crossing his arms. Then, the Heaven Reversing Seal connected, stamping him into the ground and making his legs quiver. However, after a certain point, Chiyou stopped sinking. He roared and pushed back, forcing the spiritual artifact away.

The Heaven Reversing Seal did not attack again. Instead, it shrunk and flew behind a white-robed immortal.

Chiyou snorted. If looks could kill, his eyes would have long burned a hole in Guang Chengzi. “Why is an immortal like you interfering in humanity’s affairs? Leave now, and I can spare your life because of your master’s face.”

“Interfere? All I’m doing is stopping a giant from stealing humanity’s Karmic Luck. Chiyou, return to the Nether Realm. You are no longer qualified to become humanity’s next ruler,” Guang Chengzi said. He looked down on Chiyou, physically and spiritually.

Although he was only at the peak of the Great Unity Realm while Chiyou was at the peak of the Great Firmament Realm, Chiyou had his current cultivation base for less than an hour. Although his aura seemed impressive and domineering, it had a weak foundation. Unless Chiyou took time to stabilize it, he could not show the true power of the Great Firmament Realm.

The remaining six generals were even weaker. Besides…

Eleven streaks of light flew toward him. They stopped and revealed themselves to be Chi Jingzi from Cloudsky Grotto of Taihua Mountain, Daoist Huanglong from Magu Grotto of Erxian Mountain, Ju Liusun from Cloudsoar Grotto of Jialong Mountain, Daoist Taiyi from Goldlight Grotto of Qianyuan Mountain, Mystic Master Baoling from Yangsource Grotto of Kongtong Mountain, Broadart Venerable Manjushri from Skymist Grotto of Wulong Mountain, Daoist Samantabhadra from Whitecrane Grotto of Jiugong Mountain, Daoist Cihang from Luojia Grotto of Peach Mountain, Daoist Yuding from Goldawn Grotto of Jadespring Mountain, Venerable Daoheart of Jaderoof Grotto of Jinting Mountain, and Virtuous Monarch Qingxu from Violetyang Grotto of Qingfeng Mountain.

Together with Guang Chengzi from Peachsource Grotto of Jiuxian Mountain, they were known as the Twelve Golden Immortals of Kunlun.

Despite the lineup, Chiyou showed no fear. He roared, and his surviving generals abandoned their battles. They allowed many attacks to land on their bodies. Even if they received a wound, it would heal quickly. Soon, they stood side-by-side with Chiyou, staring off at the Twelve Golden Immortals.

Guang Chengzi raised his hand, and the Heaven Reversing Seal behind him rose in the air and enlarged itself until it was the size of a mountain. He lowered his hand, and the Heaven Reversing Seal smashed down.

“Haha, Guang Chengzi, if you have the guts, fight me instead!” At this time, a voice that shook the earth reverberated in everyone’s ears.

A giant who had almost twice Chiyou’s height emerged from the ground. Gleamy silver scales covered his entire body with tufts of white hair covering his joints. He had a muscular figure with a ferocious head. Most glaring were the two long fangs jutting out. He was Xingtian, a giant of the Titan Tribe under the Rushou Branch.

He stood proudly on the ground and a halberd appeared in his right hand and a shield in his left. He raised his shield, and the Heaven Reversing Seal, which carried the momentum of suppressing all things, halted in its track. Xingtian roared and knocked the Heaven Reversing Seal back.

“Haha, don’t be so quick, leave some for us,” a voice rumbled from beneath the ground. Soon, many more giants emerged from the ground. Their heights did not reach the same level as Rushou, but they still towered over Chiyou.

Soon, the Twelve Golden Immortals and the group of giants stared at once another. The smell of gunpowder filled the air, and it would not be strange if a battle suddenly commenced. Strangely, an abnormal peace appeared as neither side moved to attack.

Finally, Chiyou growled. His momentum increased, and he stepped forward. At this time, Xingtian held his shoulders, stopping him. The two shared a long look, clearly communicating. Chiyou growled, shook off Xingtian’s hand, and turned around.

“Retreat!”

Under Chiyou’s furious roar, no members of the Jiuli Tribe dared to disobey his orders. Just like that, the Jiuli Tribe retreated, but it didn’t matter to Xuanyi. She crawled toward her brother, aggravating her injuries even more.

“Brother, Brother, Brother…” Xuanyi said. Her heart broke even more when she took a closer look at her brother’s state.

Except for his head, the rest of his body had been charred black, even his insides. One light touch might cause him to crumble. The most uninjured part of his body, his head, was also in terrible condition. Dried blood caked his chin, cracks appeared all over his face, and not a single strand of hair was unsinged.

“Xuanyi, you have to be strong—” Xuanyuan stopped as he started coughing. He didn’t cough up blood but the black bits that were once his lungs. Had it not been for his Golden Warrior Realm cultivation base, he would have long died.

“Save your strength, I’ll find a way to save you, I will!” Xuanyi said. She moved and hissed. Pain threatened to overwhelm her consciousness, but she persevered. Then, a soothing sensation filled her body.

For a split second, numerous snapping sounds exploded from her body, causing her to yelp. However, Xuanyi soon discovered that all the bones in her body had snapped back into place. Although they were restored, it would still take some time to fully heal.

Xuanyi looked up to see the white-robed immortal who saved her. Her eyes brightened. “Great Immortal, please save my brother!”

Guang Chengzi shook his head. “Unfortunately, saving Lord Xuanyuan is beyond my ability. Only Saints like my master can save your brother’s life. Unfortunately, Saints cannot easily take action, lest they break the balance of the Three Realms.”

“No,” a soft whisper escaped Xuanyi’s lips, and she despaired. Tears formed at the corner of her eyes and streamed down her face.

“—yi, Xuanyi.”

“Brother!” Xuanyi turned around and focused all her attention on Xuanyuan. “Don’t give up. There has to be hope. I know, I’ll ask my master. Master is so powerful, she must have a way.”

“It’s no use,” Xuanyuan said. “My fate was destined the moment Chiyou defeated me. Upon my death, I’ll become his nutrients.”

“That’s why you can’t give up on life! Only you can defeat that savage!”

Xuanyuan’s eyes moved toward Xuanyi, full of love and tenderness. “You’re wrong. You can defeat him.”

Without waiting for Xuanyi to respond, his eyes lost focus. A small golden flame flew out of his glabella and entered Xuanyi’s head. It was as if something exploded in her mind. A pressure exploded from her body, and her aura continued to rise. Intermediate Golden Immortal Realm, Advanced Golden Immortal Realm, Peak Golden Immortal Realm, Early Great Unity Realm, Intermediate Great Unity Realm, before finally stopping at the Advanced Great Unity Realm.

Guang Chengzi and the other members of the Twelve Golden Immortals looked at her rising cultivation with jealousy. Most of them were still in the Golden Immortal Realm, and only a minority like Guang Chengzi and Daoist Yuding were in the Great Unity Realm. Oh, how the heavens favored humanity. In a scant few years, a mortal could easily equal their cultivation base and even surpass it.

When Xuanyi regained control of her body, she caressed Xuanyuan’s face. The light in his eyes dimmed considerably. She knew what Xuanyuan had given her: the Human Heartfire he used to condense everything left in him. Although her cultivation increased, she was not one bit happy.

She would have rather spent a few more seconds with Xuanyuan.

“Listen to me,” Xuanyuan said, in between coughs, even as his voice became fainter. “You must defeat Chiyou, but it won’t be easy. Don’t be stubborn like me. Accept foreign aid. It doesn’t matter if you lose. You must use everything to bring victory.”

Xuanyuan stopped as he hacked up more black bits for his mouth. He gritted his teeth and forced more words out. “Once you win, you have to show magnanimity. Once the Jiuli Tribe surrenders, accept them and the barbarians into humanity, and integrate them. Only then can humanity be called whole once more…”

With his final words spoken, all the remaining light in his eyes vanished.

“Brother?” Xuanyi asked, fear coloring her voice despite already knowing the answer. Her hands, which still caressed his face, snapped back, as if burned. “Brother!”

Xuanyuan’s body broke down and transformed into countless motes of golden light. They flew into the air and rained down on all of humanity. When the last bit of golden light vanished, the sky darkened and clouds gathered.

Pit.
Pat.
Pit.
Pat.
Pit-pat!
Pit-pat pit-pat!!
Pit-pat pit-pat pit-pat!!!

The rain poured, as if heaven itself mourned for Xuanyuan’s death.

For three days and three nights, Xuanyi stayed in the same location, kneeling in sorrow for her brother’s passing. After the third night, the rain cleared, and the world felt the warmth of the sun once more. But to Xuanyi, the world felt just a tiny bit colder with less color.

As Xuanyuan had done before, she summoned a war council.

“I will become the new ruler of humanity, do any of you have any objections?” Xuanyi asked. She sat in the seat Xuanyuan usually took. Clutched in her left hand was the sheathed Titanslayer. Her eyes scanned the upper echelons of humanity with cold eyes.

Few dared to meet her eyes. She had the same flaxen-colored hair and eyes as Xuanyuan, and just a few days ago, she even exuded a similar aura, if a bit less majestic. But now, her entire body exuded a chilling aura. Her face appeared as if it was chiseled from glaciers.

At this moment, a general. “I object! How can a woman be a ruler?”

The general felt as if he had plunged into the Darknorth Sea when Xuanyi focused her gaze on him.

“A woman cannot be a ruler? Who said that?” Xuanyi questioned, her tone mighty. “Is the Jade Emperor not a woman? Are you saying that the Heavenly Lord of the Immeasurable is unworthy of her position?”

As if to punctuate her words, the sky darkened, lightning flashed, and thunder rumbled. It only lasted a brief moment before the sky returned to normal.

Everyone glanced up, unnerved by the sudden change in the weather. None more so than the general. Did the Jade Emperor really hear what he, a little warrior, just said? Now, he wished to find a hole to bury himself in, lest the Jade Emperor deliver divine punishment.

Xuanyi ignored the man and scanned the officials and generals present. “I don’t mind if anyone else wants to become the ruler of humanity. Just know that you will have the responsibility of killing Chiyou and avenging Xuanyuan.”

When they heard her words, the officials and generals shared glances. Many of them wanted to become humanity’s next rulers, but they still knew their own abilities. Aside from Xuanyi, none of them could defeat Chiyou. Even if they surrendered, they knew that they would not have a good life even if they switched to Chiyou’s side. They all knew what happened to General Zhang.

Were General Zhang not dead, Xuanyi would have treated him with the utmost care. Slicing tiny bits of his flesh off until his bones became exposed. She would not let him die, that was too merciful. She would heal him and continue to slice his flesh off until his lifespan ran out.

Then, one of the generals stepped forward. “I support Princess Xuanyi taking over His Majesty’s position.”

“I support it, too. There is no one more suitable!”

Soon, more words of support flowed.

Xuanyi raised her hand, silencing them. “Okay, since everyone has agreed, just send a message to the people back in the capital. Right now, we need to focus on the enemy. Lord Guang Chengzi.”

Guang Chengzi stepped forward. “Yes, Your Majesty?”

“I am thankful for your aid, and I hope to enlist your aid in the final battle against the barbarians, revered teacher of the earthly sovereign,” Xuanyi asked.

“There is no need to ask. We came here just to prevent Chiyou, who lost his humanity, from victory.”

Xuanyi nodded. With Guang Chengzi’s reassurance, she turned her attention to the two barbarians, Touman and Chanyu. “Speaking of which, I believe my brother promised you something once we won, right?”

Touman and Chanyu quickly saluted their new liege. If the general who objected felt like he had fallen into the Darknorth Sea, they felt as if Xuanyi had directly frozen them solid. “Y-yes! He promised that we can bring our tribes and integrate with humanity.”

“Barbarians can never be part of humanity,” Xuanyi said, frost coating each word. “The Jiuli Tribe is not human, they are the descendants of giants. And you barbarians are outsiders, a match made in hell. Heed my words. In the final battle, slaughter these two disgusting races!”

Without waiting for the two barbarians to say anything more, Xuanyi stood up and then disappeared. Her figure disappeared in a flash and reappeared behind the two barbarians with her back facing them. She held Titanslayer in her hand. Blood coated its edge, and the two barbarians’ heads fell onto the floor.

16