Chapter 42: Two Worlds as One
5.6k 26 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the master of the Allheaven Jianmu Tree, Tongtian felt the effects of the wound the most. The explosion had gouged out ten percent of the tree's trunk, causing golden sap formed of merit to leak out. She regretted not stationing her Saint Corpse in the Heavenly Realm or not preparing sufficient defenses.

From her connection to the world tree, Tongtian could sense four blue-skinned figures of colossal size gouging it with ill intent. The blue-skinned figures were all Tengri!

They didn't know how Tengri had snuck into the Three Realms, nor how he could release such power despite being in the Three Realms, where his power was restricted even more than the World Nexus. In hindsight, they should have sensed something wrong when all the Tengri mortals started their all-out attack.

One of the four Tengri charged into the wound and began emitting a cerulean radiance. He self-detonated, causing a second explosion far beyond a Quasi-Saint's power.

Tongtian once again regretted not leaving her Saint Corpse to protect the Allheaven Jianmu Tree. All of the Saints, aside from Zhunti, had left the Three Realms, leaving it practically defenseless. Zhunti was still in the West, and it would take him a few moments to arrive—more than enough time for Tengri to cause massive damage and crack the heavenly pillar supporting heaven and earth.

When the third Tengri charged, all the Saints took action. Although the Allheaven Jianmu Tree benefited Tongtian the most, its destruction would only spell their own harm and possibly doom.

As the seven Saints turned into streaks of light, Yuanshi sneered. "Fool."

Before the Saints entered the Three Realms and before the remaining Tengri self-detonated, coercion emanated from the Supreme Yin Star. Then, three crescents shot forth. Their sharpened ends bifurcated the three Tengri and exterminated their souls instantly.

Tongtian paused for a moment. A silver-gold light shrouded her like a second layer of skin, and her speed dramatically increased as she turned into a comet. By her side, Yuanshi also sped up without any visible effort, followed by Laozi as he left a trail of black and white.

Nuwa, Jieyin, Redcloud Ancestor, and Zhen Yuanzi also increased their speed. They all sensed the charm of the complete Law of Yin emanating from those three crescent blades. Had Changxi mastered a law? Was she going to become the third Golden Immortal of Primordial Origin of the Three Realms?

Tongtian arrived first at the scene and gauged the full extent of the Allheaven Jiangmu Tree's injuries. Even if she fed the two halves of Tengri's body to it, it would take eons for the Allheaven Jianmu Tree to heal. Naturally, her expression turned nasty.

"Eldest Brother, Second Brother, I'll take my leave first," Tongtian said as she flew toward the Heavenly Realm as soon as possible. Following behind her were the two halves of Tengri that Yuanshi gifted to her.

Laozi and Yuanshi nodded. Then, they turned and observed the three Tengri corpses split by the crescent blades. As they did so, the other Saints also arrived, and their eyes zeroed in on the six parts of Tengri's corpses.

"I wonder why Daoist Changxi hasn't arrived to pick up her spoils. Perhaps she doesn't want them," Jieyin said. His intent was too obvious.

"Don't jump to conclusions so soon," Nuwa said. "Daoist Changxi likely exhausted herself. Even if she mastered a complete law, she has not ascended to the Primordial Origin Realm. As such, those three strikes should have exhausted her. It's more prudent to ask her first."

Broadly speaking, Changxi was on the Demon Clan's side, which meant she and Nuwa stood together. If she helped Changxi protect her spoils, wouldn’t she have a share and prevent the rest of the Saints from benefiting?

"Perhaps, but Daoist Changxi has since secluded herself from the affairs of the Three Realms," Jieyin said and then looked at Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi. "What do Daoist Redcloud and Zhen think?"

Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi shared a look. For Redcloud Ancestor, he had always been the weakest of the Saints of Heaven, and Tengri's corpses held a great allure for him. For Zhen Yuanzi, this was even more true. Even if they couldn't raise their cultivation, increasing the power of their flesh would give them another trump card.

Nuwa knew that Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi would likely agree with Jieyin. Each Saint had their own interests, and although she didn't fear them, this wasn't something that could be settled with power alone. Not to mention that although she was an intermediate Golden Immortal of the Primordial Origin, she didn't have the confidence to take all three of them at once.

The easiest solution was to seek allies of her own. She turned toward Laozi and Yuanshi. The Three Purities had always considered themselves as leaders of the East, so they should refute Jieyin's proposal and suppress the West. "What do Senior Brothers think?"

Jieyin also turned toward the two purities present, as did Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi. Jieyin clapped his hands together, "I will abide by Senior Brother Yuanshi's decision."

Laozi's gaze drifted from Jieyin to Yuanshi. The latter smiled, but it wasn't a pleasant smile. "You decide amongst yourselves. We already have taken our share, so the rest is up to you."

With those parting words, he flew back to Kunlun Mountain. Laozi also didn't stay and flew toward Shouyang Mountain, leaving behind the four Saints, who glanced at one another.

After numerous back and forths, the four Saints decided to ask Changxi's opinion first. Even if Jieyin wanted Tengri's corpse, he had to weigh the pros and cons of offending a future Golden Immortal of Primordial Origin.

But when the four of them reached the Supreme Yin Star, a barrier blocked their way. Without forcing an entry, they could only watch the sealed gate of Coldlight Palace. Not far away, a woodcutter monotonously chopping the trunk of the Lunar Laurel Tree.

Every time the woodcutter slammed the ax blade into the trunk, the bark would splinter, revealing the pale wood underneath. However, the wound would heal whenever the woodcutter brought the ax back in preparation for the next swing.

Strangely, all four Saints subconsciously ignored the woodcutter.

"Daoist Nuwa, it seems that Daoist Changxi is not interested in Tengri's corpse," Jieyin said.

Nuwa furrowed her brows. Unwilling to give up, she said, "Daoist Changxi, it's me, Nuwa. First, allow me to offer my thanks for protecting the Three Realms. Please take down the barrier, and let's discuss the handling of the enemy Saint's corpse."

Only silence answered Nuwa. With a smile exuding compassion, Jieyin said, "Since her intent is obvious, let us not disturb her."

Ultimately consenting, Nuwa, Jieyin, Redcloud Ancestor, and Zhen Yuanzi departed from the Starry Sky, but not before glancing back with narrowed eyes.

After another round of back and forths, the four decided to split the six pieces of Tengri three ways. Nuwa would receive one complete corpse, Redcloud Ancestor and Zhen Yuanzi also received a third, and Jieyin received the last third.

Nuwa immediately left after that. According to her calculations, she could have gotten half of all the pieces had Changxi allowed them entry. Redcloud Ancestor, Zhen Yuanzi, and Jieyin all returned to their respective abodes to digest their spoils.

Unknown to the four Saints, Changxi glared bitterly from inside Coldlight Palace. She gazed at the sealed entrance and sighed. She was powerless.


After Tongtian returned to Eminence Heaven Palace, she immediately focused on the Allheaven Jianmu Tree's recovery. Because of the damage, even the Empyrean Eden had lost its previous luster, and the growth of the empyrean fruits slowed.

Tongtian used the early heaven materials she collected before the Dragon-Phoenix Tribulation to heal it while using her control over the Allheaven Jianmu Tree to facilitate a speedy recovery. She also dispatched almost all the heavenly officials to the wound for onsite healing. Even if it only helped a tiny bit, it was better than nothing.

During this time, the war in the World Nexus had changed. With Haotian's fall, the Jade Peak Army retreated back to the Three Realms. Under Tongtian's order, Yaochi and the celestial army had retreated to right outside the World Nexus.

There, they slaughtered all Tengri Chaos World's mortals who entered the Three Realms. Despite a heavy restriction imposed upon them the moment they entered, most still charged like crazed men, obeying the last order Tengri had given them: charge and kill the enemy at all costs.

Without Tengri to change his commands, the mortals ran towards death. Of course, a few didn't want a meaningless death and surrendered, but Yaochi remained unmoved, coldly ordering all their deaths.

After thousands of years, the number of mortals in the Tengri Chaos World plummeted. Most of them died while charging into the Three Realms, and the ones that remained in the Tengri Chaos World constantly suffered from the endless calamities that occurred ever since the fracture appeared.

The only Tengri mortals that remained were those that found solace in the World Nexus.

Simultaneously, the Allheaven Jianmu Tree had recovered to the point where it could resume entrenching its roots further into the Tengri Chaos World. But before Tongtian took control, she had unfinished business and took out Eight Treasures Vast Heaven Pagoda and the Vast Heaven Mirror.

Tongtian had already released all the Golden Immortals inside the pagoda. Well, that wasn't exactly true since there was still a remnant soul of a Golden Immortal. As Quasi-Saints weren't Golden Immortals of the Primordial Origin, they were still considered Golden Immortals of the Great Firmament.

A silver mist emerged out of the Vast Heaven Mirror. It drifted in front of the Throne of Heaven and took on Haotian's appearance. Still, his form occasionally turned blurry before solidifying again. "Your Eminence."

"Haotian, you should know it's almost impossible for you to revive and return to your peak state in your current condition," Tongtian said, not hiding the truth.

When Tengri had Haotian in his grasp, Haotian made a gamble. He self-detonated, utilizing his body, qi, and his spirit. In the chaos, he hid in his spiritual artifact, the Vast Heaven Mirror. The mirror had the ability to reveal all the secrets of the Three Realms. Inversely, it also had the capability of hiding secrets—secrets like the continued existence of Haotian's truesoul.

Haotian agreed. "It's as Your Eminence said. However, I beseech Your Eminence for a chance and method."

"It's not like there is no method to recover your lost soul, but it's a gamble," Tongtian said. "I will place a seal on you and throw you into the Six Paths of Samsara. Your soul will recover through repeated reincarnation, and the moment it fully recovers, you will be reborn in the world. However, you are just as likely to be buried under the infinite reincarnation."

Haotian didn't even hesitate. "Please."

Tongtian nodded. She summoned Daoist Randeng, the Great Emperor of Heaven Bearing, from the Nether Realm. Upon arrival, he bowed to Tongtian. "Randeng greets Your Eminence."

"You may raise your head," Tongtain said. "Take Great Emperor Greenflower's remnant soul to Empress Pingxin and ask her to send him into the cycle of reincarnation."

"Understood," Daoist Randeng said. He summoned his lifebound innate spiritual artifact, a coffin. The Law of Death emanated from it and sucked Haotian's remnant soul in. Within it, the degradation of Haotian's soul would stagnate.

After Daoist Randeng left, Tongtian summoned Metal Luminary Jinxing. Unlike Daoist Randeng, Jinxing kowtowed and greeted Tongtian. Tongtian allowed Jinxing to stand back on his feet and said, "Until Great Emperor Greenflower returns to his position, you will manage his duties."

Jinxing paused for a moment, but he still cupped his hands together and saluted Tongtian. "As Your Eminence commands."

With all the pressing matters dealt with, Tongtian stood up from the Throne of Heaven and entered a sealed room of Eminence Heaven Palace. Inside were the two halves of Tengri's body. Despite the passage of thousands of years, the two bodies remained as fresh as the moment Yuanshi bifurcated him.

Tongtian stared at Tengri's corpse, searching for any changes. When she found none, she sighed and left. The Way of Heaven hadn't exterminated Tengri's soul yet. Perhaps, the process would only finish after the Three Realms absorbed the Tengri Chaos World.

Upon sitting back onto her throne, Tongtian closed her eyes and commanded the Allheaven Jianmu Tree. The world tree's roots that had slumbered for thousands of years woke up and started penetrating the earth of the Tengri Chaos World.

Instead of using her own resources, Tongtian wanted the Allheaven Jianmu tree to find nutrients from the Tengri Chaos World. Since Tengri caused the damage, his chaos world should pay the price.

As Tongtian expected, the barrier protecting the Tengri Chaos World from the Allheaven Jianmu Tree's roots had vanished. Although the chaos world still resisted the advance, it was more reactionary, bestial. While Tengri was still active, he must have been the one to halt the world tree's roots.

The more the root entrenched into the Tengri Chaos World, the more Tongtian learned. Unlike the Three Realms, the Tengri Chaos World only had two realms, an earthly realm and a heavenly realm. The earthly realm was the land that all life lived on, while the heavenly realm was devoid of life. It was likely the abode of Tengri and possibly the ninety-nine gods.

Still, Tongtian placed more importance on the other information she learned. The Tengri Chaos World's Way of Heaven was unnaturally weak, as if it was incomplete.

Tongtian recalled the moment of Tengri's change and sudden increase in strength. It was as if he had become a chaos world himself. Combining all the clues she had, Tongtian theorized that Tengri had merged with his Way of Heaven, but his strength would grow slowly until he dominated the Way of Heaven.

It was no longer: Tengri was the Way of Heaven, but the Way of Heaven was not Tengri. Instead, it was: the Way of Heaven was Tengri, but Tengri was not the Way of Heaven.

When Tengri fell, the Way of Heaven also received massive damage. It was also why the land of the Tengri Chaos World fractured after Yuanshi bifurcated Tengri. It also explained why calamities befell the Tengri Chaos World. Without a strong Way of Heaven to manage it, it fell into chaos.

But what Tongtian gained the most from this was not how to speed up the fusion between the Three Realms and the Tengri Chaos World but insights into Hongjun's intentions. The Dao Ancestor might not replicate the same act as Tengri, but it should be at least ninety percent similar.

In Tongtian's thoughts, even if there were other Saint-like existences, Tengri must have killed them to establish hegemony. Who's to say that Hongjun wouldn't replicate that feat?

This only affirmed Tongtian's plan to create the Sea of Spacetime and achieve greater control of the Three Realms. The more authority she had, the less Hongjun would have, thus lessening the chances of his plans.

As if a fire had been lit under her butt, Tongtian increased the penetration rate of the world tree's roots. By now, the World Nexus no longer restricted lifeforms from the Three Realms, although the opposite was not true. Yaochi had returned to the Heavenly Realm, and only one legion stood guard at the border between the Three Realms and the World Nexus.

Slowly, the edge of the Tengri Chaos World crumbled, returning to chaotic chaos, which the Three Realms absorbed into itself. During this process, it also integrated the laws unique to the alien world. All the Saints and Quasi-Saints entered secluded cultivation to sense the changes in the Three Realms and increase their comprehension.

The moment the Three Realms fully absorbed the Tengri Chaos World, the World Nexus disappeared, but more importantly, the world froze, and an infinite radiance covered the entire Three Realms. Those too weak froze, unable to sense what happened, but those like the Golden Immortals of the Great Firmament or Quasi-Saints that had started comprehending the myriad laws felt an intense migraine. Only the Saints and Golden Immortals of the Primordial Origin could sense the changes occurring in the Three Realms at this moment.

Three thousand lines appeared before their very eyes. The laws of the Three Realms had laid themselves bare. Normally, only when one achieved sainthood would they be able to enter the core space of the world and see the strings representing the laws that governed the world.

All the Saints took this chance to further their comprehension. In the West, Jieyin directly stepped into the Fourth Heavenly Layer, becoming an intermediate Golden Immortal of the Primordial Origin. In the East, Redcloud Ancestor rose from the peak of the Second Heavenly Layer to the Third Heavenly Layer. On Shouyang Mountain, Laozi reached the peak of the Fourth Heavenly Layer, and it would not be long before he reached the Fifth Heavenly Layer.

Tongtian herself had reached the intermediate Fourth Heavenly Layer, but a massive amount of regret colored her intestine green. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid! I saw the Law of Time, I should have had Lingbao take control of it and, by extension, the River of Time!'

If she could gain the authority over the time and space of the Three Realms, it would significantly increase her chances of fusing the Three Realms' Law of Time and Law of Space. 'Dammit, my excitement at this chance blinded me to the true benefits!'

Tongtian stewed in her regret within Eminence Heaven Palace for hundreds of years. No one dared to near it, not even Wutian or Shuixing, due to the oppressive atmosphere leaking through the gates.

One day, Tongtian suddenly remembered about Kong Xuan. In her anger, she had forgotten about him. Perhaps it was time to learn of his secrets.

She exited the Heavenly Realm and expanded her senses to search for Kong Xuan. However, she stopped when she sensed immense pressure from the South. Not just her, but the other Saints also sensed it.

The Three Realms' third Golden Immortal of Primordial Origin was about to be born.

Announcement
Unfortunately, this is the end of part 1 of Book 2. The second half of Book 2 should come out in 2 or 3 months.
46