Chapter 1: God Monsters
135 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I am Lo. I am the overseer of this world as it comes to fruition. I am the authority of its inhabitants. I bear witness to the code's evolution. Creator, do you really think these chains can hold me?” -Lo (Lady Overlook)


 

Present Day

Caramoc Cove

Pirugan Continent

2 Days before launch of PADW

Pandora knelt before the large chest and released its lock with a wave of her hand. The encroaching chains awoke and whipped violently through the air like crazed serpents snapping at prey. A dark fog crept over the sides of the chest and settled around Pandora's legs as she uttered inaudible words. Her hands traced the intricate designs along the base, all the way up to the edge of its gaping maw containing an infinite abyss.

Beads of sweat broke out on her forehead as the unheard incantation began to take affect on the once-dormant powers that resided within. The dark fog that spread throughout the cove retracted slowly as the abyss proceeded to draw back its intangible form.

A sudden quake of the earth momentarily interrupted her in the midst of the enchantment. She clasped her hands and allowed the fog to pass through her as it returned to its resting place. Her luminous, emerald-green hair blew forward as the rumbling drew closer. The chains grew even more frantic and batted each other side to side as they sensed her mounting desperation.

She took a moment to cut off the incantation so she could focus on the direction of her approaching adversary. Even though she was fairly certain of who it was, it helped to discern the distance of the quakes so she might at least allow herself a moment of relief.

The relief was not forthcoming.

He is here.

She finished her work and sealed the chest as the remaining darkness receded. She grabbed a leather backpack and dumped the contents in front of her. Small gemstones, about the size of one's palm, clattered to the ground and shimmered in the moonlight. The magic stones were used for nearly everything in this world, and she'd been saving them for just this occasion. One by one, she inserted the stones in three slots engraved in the chest. The stones melded into the ironwork and disappeared.

The rumbling intensified, and Pandora hastened to embed the remaining stones. She had already infused a large amount, but with the Players arriving, she wasn't certain how long only a few stones would last. It didn't matter if it seemed excessive. There was no room for error at this point.

She heaved a sigh of relief as the last stone vanished. After a few moments of inactivity passed, the chains ceased their violent spasms and began to form organized spirals around her. They stiffened in place and then coiled themselves around the chest. They bulged, tightened and the main body sealed with a metallic click.

Pandora rose and stared at the now silent box. The quakes stopped.

Here we go, she thought, gritting her teeth. Who's it going to be?

A massive shape took form in the cave she'd recently left. Even in the darkness, Pandora's ruby eyes discerned the black masses charging forward at the behemoth's feet.

She stood straight with her head raised defiantly as the giant figure halted a short distance away. She noticed that the creatures at the god monster's feet were knights clad in pitch-black armor, brandishing finely crafted broadswords and pearlescent shields.

The large monster leaned forward with six absurdly muscular arms and planted his fists on the stone. His form was momentarily shrouded by massive wings that blocked out a considerable portion of the sky when fully extended outwards. He held a black staff with lines of gold in one of the six hands, and another wielded a massive broadsword laced with fire. Four horns protruded from his forehead. Two more, one on each side of his head, thrust straight outwards like daggers. The shape of a helmet laid around the horns and a red mask covered the mouth.

The monstrosity stepped forward slowly and knelt down on one knee. He rested an arm on his bent leg in a carefree manner. The mask folded into a grin.

He spoke in a deep, powerful voice that echoed throughout the cove, “Mistress of the Bleak Night, Pandora, you have been quite a thorn in my side these past few days.”

Pandora managed to still her shaking hands and allowed herself a smirk. “Oh, Satan, you know how I just love playing hard to get.” With those words she felt her fear slipping away, replaced by a mix of determination and frustration.

The one known as Satan visibly frowned at her lack of fear. “I don't intend to play word games with you.” He extended an arm. “Hand over the box, and I spare your fellow god monsters the misery of banishment to the dungeons.”

Pandora pretended to consider his offer for a moment and placed a finger to her lips. “Oh, such a tempting offer. Why is it that you dark, evil guys always attempt to entice us with mercy, when clearly we can dismiss such a notion before you even utter it? It's tiresome, but it does buy me some time.” Her mouth curled into a grin.

Satan's eyes narrowed. As he was about to reply, a heavy blow drove into the side of his head, a well-placed attack that connected outside of his peripheral vision. The curved blade of the striking weapon cut across his view as it scraped along his helmet. The wielder of the weapon twisted her wrist and drove the blade straight into his face, sending him reeling backwards. The knights at his feet scattered desperately to avoid being crushed by his massive body. He landed in a brief daze, but managed to quickly reorient himself just as a swift kick landed on his other blind side and sent him careening into the cliff overlooking the cove. He let out a gasp that mixed with the faint taste of blood.

Satan rose and uttered a stream of curses as his assailant landed gracefully a few feet in front of the still-grinning Pandora.

Pandora's comrade stood straight and brandished her weapon, an eccentric mix between a halberd and a glaive, with blades resembling a double-edged axe. A curved length of steel thrust dangerously from the axe's apex, making it a versatile weapon. Its length was nearly double her size. As she readjusted grip, a pair of armored, dark rainbow wings extended from her back.

The female warrior threw her ponytail over a shoulder and allowed it to fall its full length to her waist. She parted a length of hair that hung over one eye and sized up her opponent. Her expression remained neutral despite the powerful aura that exuded from the large god monster.

“It's good to see you, Leilan,” Pandora said. “Though you are a tad late.”

Leilan addressed her calmly as she checked her red and gold combat dress for tears, “Metatron had some last-minute adjustments that needed seeing to.”

Pandora shrugged. “I guess she is known for taking her sweet time.”

Leilan was only half-listening at this point. Satan rose to his full height and glared at the duo. Large azure, translucent rings began to form in his hands, etched with strange archaic symbols. Blue sparks showered around him, and the surge of energy somewhat lifted his spirits.

“What lousy timing. You Chinese gods are always so irritating.” He drew his arms back. The rings split and increased speed. They shrieked with the collision of steel. “Time to tear your wings off, little fire bird.”

Leilan readied herself. “Here we go,” she breathed.

Satan prepared to release the deadly rings, but halted his motion as an astonishing white light lit the sky. A low hum emitted from the refulgence and throbbed like a beating heart. It meandered across the sky in a straight line with a distinct purpose. Even Leilan and Pandora could not help gazing at its brilliance. The light took the form of a sphere and settled its image over one of the moons. Its form emblazoned with specs of yellow, consuming the moon's body.

A pulse erupted outwards and shook the cove.

Satan tore his gaze away from the hypnotic display and glared at his two opponents.

“It seems we are running out of time,” he muttered.

Leilan turned to Pandora who nodded her assent. “The Players are almost here.”

 

2