Chapter 83: A new management…
2.8k 11 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The improbable settlement located within the forest of Velauhart grew and expanded by the day. From the goods brought by the network of traders coming by the behest of Albertini, Dryssia finally identified fruits that could be grown in the region. Although there were some other exotic fruits that came from the tropics, they simply could not thrive in the temperate climate. From these fruits Alicia could recognize a few, pomegranates, persimmons and apricots along with some others that were foreign to her, namely Nectarines and Frumontis fruit. Though these fruits would take years to grow, mature and at last bear fruit themselves naturally the process could be vastly accelerated. Dryads - though not as effectively as with their bonded type of tree - could still vivify other types of flora. With guidance of the tree nymph a large orchard was created some distance away from the main residential areas and in just about a week’s worth of time of constant care and attention from Dryssia the first of the trees had grown large enough to begin bearing unripe fruit. In time they would ripen, and with more and more of the fruit bearing trees being cared for by a Dryad and new batches maturing every week the fruits was sure to become a staple.

The Elves were quite proficient with harvesting and taking care of the trees, a by-product of their forager lifestyle. The pest insects that destroyed the majority of the produce from other plantations would hardly be a threat for the orchard, as the trees were more or less infested by multitudes of spiders committed to safeguarding the trees. Alicia had a sneaking suspicion that they were only this driven because it meant an easy lunch for  the hex crawlers. Though Rosalia couldn’t browse the inventory of the merchants by herself due to the fear of her being recognized by one of them, Stefanos often went instead of her young mistress. Usually buying texts and sometimes sweet treats, he often mingled with the merchants to hear about their recent travels and rumours. One of which caught the attention of both Rosalia and Alfred.

  • “They say another village has been burned to the ground.”
  • “Again…? Where is it this time?”
  • “One by the otherside of the Eastream river.”
  • “Is that not too close to the Castle? These blackguards are getting too brazen…”
  • “Perhaps it is time we presented to the guildmaster?”
  • “It would take a considerable sum to make such a plea…”
  • “The survivors of the attacked villages are swarming to the towns for the safety of the walls. Price of grain is rising.”
  • “Which means granaries are depleting.”
  • “Could be an opportunity.”
  • “A risky one with these bandits running amok the countryside.”
  • “We’ve lost so many good trading ports already.”
  • “Yes… it is fortunate that we still have a place like this.”
  • “They say there’s a settlement in this forest. Do you believe that?”
  • “These silk clothes and honey have to come from somewhere.”
  • “I wouldn’t dare enter to find out for myself, Master Albertini must have had a harrowing experience…”

The conversation turned to something else as the peddlers continued to talk at length.

Rosalia being the daughter of the lord and the heir apparent to the house Valtima she was greatly troubled by the news. A worry Alfred shared, the villages that were attacked were proximant enough to be considered a threat but their only source of outside information was reliant on the human merchants who may cease to visit once their routes become threatened. If that comes to pass, they would become blind and deaf to any potential threats…


The creation of the orchard meant a steady, sustainable and most importantly reliably consistent food source if they could address an issue first. The shelf life of the fruits were concerningly short. Methods such as pickling and sun drying were available options for extending the life-span of the produce, those needed much time and manual labor. Though hardly a pressing matter in the near future it would become increasingly more difficult to keep on top of the preservation process as more orchards are planted. Alicia had heard rumors that the Empire to the east had developed and employed magically enchanted storehouses and granaries that could preserve foodstuff. It was highly unlikely that she would travel eastwards just to ‘steal their patent’ for now, at least. Refrigerators were one of those conveniences of modern technology that she took for granted and never looked into the specifics of its mechanisms.

Where there was will, there will be a way. Improvisation was the only option here. If she couldn’t make refrigerators - not to mention generating electricity - she would create something close enough to it. A sort of a coldbox that siphoned the heat within its internal space and dumped it elsewhere. Besides she had plenty of void crystals to work with in emitting the ‘coldness’. ‘Let me remember… copper is the best thermal conductor… so for insulating against heat exchange it would be… tin…? Steel…? That’s going to be the exterior, too heavy perhaps… going to need a strong support, a walk-in freezer… maybe. What about heat exchange, crystals with infused Cryo magic seem to absorb heat very effectively however it needs to be cycled out regularly. But it does ease the problem of temperature control, I can just have someone shovel out some of the crystals to raise the temperature…’

Alicia was engrossed in making hasty sketches of the blueprints of the coldbox and jotting down important details for herself to remember, such that she didn’t even notice the knocking on her door. She felt as if she was just a few steps away from achieving what she wanted. Alfred had helped herself in, after noticing Alicia was absorbed in her work, waiting for her mistress to return to the material realm. It took some time before Alicia to notice the presence of her standing by the entrance of her room.

  • “Oh… how long have you been standing there?”
  • “About 17 minutes 22 seconds and give or take a couple dozens of milliseconds.”

A hint of jibe lingered behind her sharp blackened gaze.

  • “Real funny. What is it?”

Shortly after the cue, Alpha gave her a rundown of her concerns.


  • “Any word from Charlie?”
  • “We received a message that she has just now started to establish her presence. It will take some time for her to relocate, without abandoning her project.”
  • “Uh huh…”
  • “If I may mistress… I suggest Erwin should take on this task.”
  • “Any reason?”
  • “Albeit not as swift as Darwin, her species has a natural aptitude for hiding in plain sight.”

Mesmers, Hypnotists, Mirror demon, they were known by many names and had just the capabilities to prove their once terrifying notoriety.

  • ‘I only just recently gave Echo her work… it would be a bit sudden to give her a new assignment yet Alfred has a point. She is currently the best choice we have for figuring out whatever the hell’s going on out there… Especially since she can practically become invisible when she wants to be…’
  • “Right, let her know her mission. In general she’s going out to be our eyes and ears out there in the field. As for her secondary objectives, I want to know all about these bandits, where they’re heading, how many of them are there, and ascertain whether or not they have allies.”
  • “Of course, I will inform her brood at once.”
  • “Brood…?”
  • “Though few in numbers she has conjured some half a dozen Mesmers and mothered a few more.”
  • “Oh… Uhm… I should give her my congratulations then…… say… don’t you happen to know anything that will make a good… present for her?”

A mix of amazement and confusion struck through Alfred but she quickly recomposed herself and gave an answer.

  • “Mistress… your concern alone is the greatest gift you have given to her and all of us. Loyalty and service is its own reward.”
  • “Riiiiiiiight… whatever you say…”

‘That sounds like something a cultist would say… Am I running a cult without even knowing about it…? I thought she was pulling another fast one on me but she’s dead serious… IT has to be just some subjective view of her… I should confirm their feelings on my own… individually… in private. Also, wait no…’

As Alfred was about to leave and close the door behind her.

  • “Alpha wait, tell her to only take the conjured mesmers, let her leave behind her own… uh… children…”

‘God that sounds so weird to say… I mean it is weird. No should be sending children out on a spy mission. Or was it the other way around…?’

Pausing her departure for a moment the suit wearing girl stopped to confirm something.

  • “Will there be enough for the task at hand?”
  • “Uh… well you know who’s free and who’s got a job. I’ll leave the selection to you.”
  • “As you wish.”

Before the third bell signifying the midday pealed out, a pallid man in hooded robe headed for the market square where hollers rang ceaselessly and money changed hands. He was not the honest sort and had no place among common men. His grisly line of business ought to be done behind closed doors or under the cover of night, or it was off to the mines for him if not the axe. There was little difference between the two. With a single whisper from him, a person who he has never seen before could go ‘missing’ forever from this world. Yet as of recently, no such sins had been committed. If one were to overlook his deep involvements with a ring of smugglers bringing in contraband for an underworld marketplace, he was the image of the very model citizen, Merik Hein, once a bounty hunter and an assassin, now a ‘merchant’.

Ever since Alicia left him and his cronies behind, some semblance of normalcy returned to the Devil’s crown. Despite a few restrictions, he still had his free will and a simple order to carry out. Even though the monster had disappeared, a lingering presence of it still remained. It felt as if it was monitoring him, observing his every single action in scrutiny. From time to time, he could feel it crawling below his garments. And ‘it’ was his reason for going out and about in broad daylight. He and his people were just now beginning to recover from their encounter with the monster under human skin. Until one day, the silent observer delivered a decree. “The first of kin comes, the lessers are to prepare themselves for service.” How long have they fallen that even monsters spoke to them in such a disdainful manner. Or so they thought, but being in the presence of these… critters long as he has he somehow understood that they were no mindless beasts, but being capable of thought and reason.

Rarely did they interact, if ever, but this one time it did, he felt as if there was some emotion coming from them. Initially, he mistook it for fear, however now he had reason to believe it was more akin to anticipation than anything else. Out of caution he never interacted with these spiders infesting their clothes. On this particular occasion, though, he couldn't help himself from attempting to know more and seemingly inane at first he spoke to the spider that hid somewhere… in his body. An answer came immediately as though it was itching to preach about the topic. Most he couldn’t comprehend, but what he did learn was that these critters held that monster called Alicia in reverential light like it was their goddess in the flesh walking among them. After her, came the so-called first of kin, apostles, progenitors of sorts in direct service to her.

He assumed they were the monster’s offspring, after all, they grew in numbers quickly in the wild, but a gnawing notion in the back of his mind screamed it was something worse. One such entity was in this town… somewhere… in this square, how could no one have noticed? There was one possibility… it too, much like its master could hide beneath a human guise. Lost in thought and anxious expectation he found himself in the middle of the bustling square, people going about their day to day lives, oblivious to the danger that hides among them. As he was vigilantly looking out for the being someone lightly tugged his cloak from the side. Short yellow haired child looked up at him through her rich green eyes brimming with vivid curiosity. ‘Was she lost?’ That was the first thought that came to him. Then she asked the most damning question.

  • “Hey, hey, mister. Are you from the Devil’s Crown?”

Naturally people around them noticed the heinous name. To the populace, the crown was something of a myth. Many thought that they were nothing more than a canard rumor. Fable created by parents to scare their children into obedience. Few thought there was some credence and fewer believed their existence. People as quickly as they noticed the odd question, they dismissed it just as quickly after realizing it was from some child that knows no better. However for Henrik it was far too convenient for it to be a coincidence. He didn’t know what to do… There's no way a child like her could be an apostle for that demon… but he knew better not to judge by appearance alone.

  • “Hey mister. Take to your hidey-place. I wanna see it!”

Everyone thought it was just a bored child pestering someone to play with them, and gave it no mind. Hein however he knew for sure it was the Apostle in question, for the tiny spider on his body crawled out from somewhere and skittered towards the girl’s light tress and disappeared among the locks of hair. Before it went however, it spoke to him as such.

‘Prostrate yourself, pitiful creature, you in the presence of the third.’

  • “I was sightseeing in the town for the last few days. Now take me to your hideout.”

Being ordered around by a child, how ridiculous it must seem. What other choice did he have now but to comply. As he quietly led the way and exited the square. She was already in front of him waiting, when she was just beside him a moment ago. Despite her innocent appearance and playful demeanor, he was certain she was just as dangerous as her master… perhaps even more, as he had growing suspicion that she enjoyed watching him squirm next to people…

  • “By the by, you are to address me as Charlie.”

It was a scheduled meeting of high ranking ringleaders of the crown, one of them had disappeared mysteriously and the other became increasingly distant and uncooperative… even by their cutthroat standards. Their discussion topic for this day was about the matters of absorbing or electing a new leader. It was the typical petty power politics that happens every now and then that they fought tooth and nail, give them an inch…

Henrik obviously had his seat in this gathering as he was about to open the doors to the underground chamber he paused for a moment, cold sweat running down his neck and palm. In the meeting they could only bring one retainer, for protection and other errands, it was a given that their retainers would be skilled bodyguards, especially when surrounded by assassins and criminals. He looked over and down to his shoulder and saw no one else but a large araneae clinging to the barrel vaulted ceiling… they would not come with him, no their duty was to make sure no one got out alive. In a quiet whisper… as if to himself he asked.

  • “How is it that you plan to persuade them to join you…- us…?”
  • “Quite simple mister Hein.”-

She sounded like she was in his ears…

-“I lack the manipulative abilities of Erwin or the intellect of Alfred… So I will start killing them one by one until they acknowledge my authority. Insubordination is an inexcusable disgrace among us, you see…”

  • “Ah… is that so…”
  • “Now, now, no need to be so tense. You’ve done well in service to our Mistress… within your middling… capacity. There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

After gathering his courage, Hein swung doors open and the idle chatter within ceased immediately. Looks of confusion, suspicion was cast his way. Before anyone could say anything… Charlie had gotten into the middle of the room, commanding the attention of all. In an exaggerated manner and energetic voice she loudly declared.

  • “Con-gra-tu-la-tions gentlemen! You’re all eligible for a promotion! You need only to swear your undying allegiance to our fair lady!”

A mix of boisterous laughter erupted whereas some were caught in a state of bewilderment shifting their gaze between Hein and the strange girl.

  • “Seems that new recruits will need an encouragement… what a shame…”

The growing smirk on her face implied something altogether different from what she had said…

Hein turned around and left the room from the way he came in, closing the doors behind himself. It didn’t take long for their jolly laughters to turn into screams of horror and cries for help. As he was halfway through the corridor that led to the room, someone burst through the door and came out running. Without breaking a stride, Hein turned his head to the side just enough to catch a glimpse of who it was. The poor sod had tears in his eyes and blood all over him. It most likely wasn’t his own blood, but soon that wouldn’t matter. He averted his sight, pitying him in his heart just as the Huntresses that lied in wait jumped on him from above…


I'm not dead, just extremely lazy. But it is ogey my friend. Everything is good. I forgot to mention this last time but Cauldforst (Frost's full name) comes from the combination of Cauld - meaning cold from old English and Forst - meaning Forest in Old middle Germanic. So her name means, Cold Pine forest. Her shortened nickname(Frost) comes from alternative spelling of Forst from Middle English. This was supposed to be quiz so you can earn fakebux, is now just a trivia.

Also here's your sppoder vidi Meet my Tiniest Tarantula.

I think its fitting for Charlie since she is already mature (i.e she's as big as she will ever get). Despite looking like a child.

79