150 Covering Things Up
3.5k 43 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Not a lot of conversations to be had this time, until almost halfway through the chapter. Fair warning.

Arnold drove across the city to a part of it that wasn't on Officer Hallman's normal patrol route. He stopped at a hardware store that he had looked up on Officer Hallman's phone and bought a trusty shovel, a spade, and a pick with Officer Hallman's money. He also bought several bags of lime, compost, and soil with the excuse that he had a pile of tree roots to deal with.

No one questioned the officer about it and he loaded his purchases into the back seat of the patrol car. That was a bit odd, because he wasn't putting them in the trunk; but, no one questioned it. He drove back to Officer Hallman's residence and carefully backed the car up the driveway as close as he could get to the back door. There was a fence around the backyard and he needed that cover again.

He carried the first unconscious young man, William, into the house and made sure to bang his arms and shoulders on various things, used his hand to leave fingerprints all over the place, then took him into the bathroom. He went back out to the car and retrieved Henry, then did the same thing. As far as anyone was concerned, Officer Hallman had two visitors at his house after he had picked them up.

Arnold knew exactly how long it took to completely drain a body of blood to make it lighter. He had it down to a system and used the same technique on the two young men that he had so easily captured. The blood filled tub was quickly drained and both bodies scrubbed, quickly dried off and hog tied, then he used two blankets to recreate the same basic shape as the duffle-like equipment bag.

He popped their knees out of joint and stuffed even more of Officer Hallman's clothes into the blankets to round out the shape. The more clothes missing, the more it looked like Officer Hallman had packed up and left. Arnold tied the blankets up and the top knots could easily be used as handles. He carried them back out to the police car and neither of them looked like bodies as he put them in the trunk.

Arnold had taken a bit longer dealing with three people all at once and he had adapted his plans to allow for the extra time. He pulled onto the express highway and accelerated to the speed limit. He took the very next turn off and followed the GPS to a different wooded area than he had been in to capture the two young men.

He found an old service road that wasn't on the GPS and turned up it. He quickly drove there, completely ignoring the bangs and rocking of the car, and came to a stop a few minutes later. He couldn't go very far into the woods, since he knew his limited 'safe' time was soon coming to an end. He knew his mother would be getting bored with only grocery shopping soon and he had to hurry.

With that motivation, he took off the cop jacket and shirt and quickly transferred the two blanketed bodies into the woods about fifty feet in. He made sure the spot wasn't visible to the service road, even though he intended for the police to find the place. He didn't want it to seem too obvious that he was leaving the bodies to be found.

Arnold quickly dug appropriate holes for them, opened the blankets and untied the laces holding the arms and legs together, then liberally spread lime over them, then compost, then soil on top. He used the shovel on their necks, just as he did for Micheal at the beach party, then he covered up the soil with the local dirt he had dug up. Of course, there was a lot more left over dirt, so he did the same thing he did at the cabin and tossed it around.

With that done, he went back to the police car and used a fresh towel to dry off his sweat. He put the cop shirt back on and tucked it in, put the shovel back into the trunk with the remaining bag of lime and soil, then drove the car all the way back to town. Once there, he knew there was nowhere he could safety park a police car and not have it be easily found... except for one place.

The police station.

Arnold pulled into the parking lot and no one even blinked twice at seeing a police car pull into the police station. He found a nice parking spot and carefully parked, just like the manual had shown him, and turned the car off. He turned off the cell phone and put it in the glove compartment, then he stepped out of the car. He popped open the trunk and put on the cop jacket, picked up the duffle-like bag and closed the trunk. After locking the car doors, he walked over towards the police station.

No one looked at him at all and just as he was about to enter the building, he took a sharp left turn and walked along the side of the building instead and went around it. In behind was a cross street and then an alleyway. No security cameras could be seen, so he stepped into an alcove between two dumpsters and took out the dry cleaning bag. He stripped off the cop uniform and put it in the dry cleaning bag and put it and the equipment belt inside the duffle-like bag.

He quickly dressed in his own clothes except for the shoes, which he left on for now, and he took off his rubber gloves. He shoved them into his jeans pockets and picked up the duffle-like bag, then walked down the alley and came out on the other street. Arnold walked calmly towards the bus stop just in time, because the cross-town bus arrived and he climbed on.

Arnold paid the fare and took the slip, sat down and waited for his transfer to come up, and rode the buses all the way back to the bus stop that was only a few streets away from his house. He changed his shoes and walked normally and carried the bag down the street, crossed a yard, then went to the loose fence picket. He slid it aside and carefully squeezed the bag through the opening, followed it in, and put the fence picket back in place.

He walked on the exact diagonal to hide his approach from the neighbour's security cameras and reached the shed. He slipped around it, pulled the little string and unhooked the latch, and opened the door just enough to go inside. The smell of preservation chemicals was strong in the small space, just as he planned. Arnold held his breath and put on a safety mask, quickly hid the duffle-like bag under his bench, then he manhandled the specimen in the bag.

Arnold was practically an expert in handling the tiny specimens and used his tools to dissect it in only a couple of minutes. Even Professor Hamil Crenslav would have had difficulty duplicating it when he was at the top of his game.

With the 'work' in the shed done, Arnold quickly cleaned everything up and put it away and retrieved his phone. He left the shed and locked it again, then walked over to the back door of the house. He unlocked it with his keys and stepped inside.

“Arnold!” Annie said loudly and walked over to him, then she stopped a foot away. “I'll hug you after you get a shower!” She waved her hands in front of her face. “Whew! Maybe the shed isn't the best place. It's concentrated the smell!”

Arnold nodded and walked around her.

“I'm not washing those clothes.” She said and held a plastic bag out to him. “Clean out the pockets and tie them up in this.”

Arnold took the bag and nodded again. “We can have a little fire out back.” He said, because he had seen how they had done it at the beach party.

"We don't have anywhere to do anything like that!” Annie said with a laugh.

“I'll make a barbecue pit.” Arnold said and Annie gave him a look of surprise. “I helped fix the one at the beach party.”

Annie gave him a huge smile. “All right.” She said. “Is there anything you need?”

“Either stones or bricks, depending on what you want it to look like.” Arnold said. “They had both at the cabin, so it was a mix.”

“Hmm. No, I don't think a backyard pit would look good with stones, unless we had a lot and made it a whole theme.” Annie said. “We can pop out to the hardware store and see what kind of bricks they have tomorrow.”

“Okay.” Arnold said and went upstairs to his bedroom and emptied his pockets. He put the police ID card, the gun license card, and the set of keys inside a new pair of socks and rolled them up. He tucked them into the suitcase, then he went to the bathroom and stripped off. He stuffed his clothes into the plastic bag and tied it, then took a thorough shower.

When he dressed and went back downstairs, Annie gave him a hug for several moments, then she told him about how stupid she was for making herself leave while he worked, when he was out of the house anyway.

“You are not stupid.” Arnold said and Annie was a little surprised that he was so adamant about it. “You were being nice to me and you wanted to give me space to work. That's not stupid.”

“Arnold.” Annie said and eased her hold on him. “I only meant...”

“No. You do everything you can for me.” Arnold said and gave her a quick kiss. “I love you, Mom.”

“I love you, too.” Annie said. She didn't try to explain that it was more of an expression than anything else and she didn't mean to call herself down... then she thought about it. Maybe... maybe I was calling myself down. I was berating myself for being stupid and I was being completely serious about it. She gave Arnold a smile and let him go. “Go into the living room and give me some space to work.” She said jokingly. “I'll have supper ready soon.”

Arnold nodded and did as she asked.

“Why don't you text one of your friends and see what they are doing tonight?” Annie said loudly from the kitchen. “It's Sunday and they're still on break, so you know they shouldn't be busy.”

“Okay.” Arnold said and took out his phone. He saw a couple of texts from Kelly and read them. She apologized for what happened and asked for forgiveness. He quickly typed back a simple 'okay' and closed the conversation. He brought up the list of contacts for 'school friends' that he had on his phone and picked the first name on the alphabetical list, which just happened to be Leann, or who he knew as Three.

*

Leann was sitting at home on the couch and was completely bored. Her boyfriend had ditched her for a night out with the guys and that pissed her off. Not that he had gone out without her, since he did that regularly when they had a fight, it was that she hadn't had time to arrange to do anything with her friends Sarah and Tanya.

Her phone vibrated and beeped at her and she sighed. He's probably wondering if I'm sitting at home and waiting for him to come and apologize. She thought and picked it up... then she gasped.

'Hi, Leann. It's Arnold.'

Oh, my god. Oh, my god. Oh, my god. Leann thought frantically and quickly stood.

“Did it bite you?” Her older sister asked with a laugh.

“No, I... it's a stupid spam message.” Leann said and quickly left the room and went to her bedroom. Okay, okay. Calm down, Leann. She thought, then typed a response. 'Hi, Arnold. What's up?'

'I'm home for a week and want to know what you're doing tonight.'

“Oh... my... god.” Leann plopped down onto her bed. She was breathing heavy and she hadn't even done anything yet. All she could think about was what Janet said about them not saying no if Arnold asked them out. She was right. She thought and closed her eyes as her breathing slowed down. 'I'm not really doing anything.' She typed. 'My boyfriend and I had a fight, so we're taking a break from each other until he apologizes.'

'Is anyone else busy?' Arnold sent.

'Yes, both Sarah and Tanya are doing something, which is why I'm home all alone.' Leann typed.

'I'm not busy, either. Do you want to do something?'

'Yes!' Leann quickly typed. 'I'd like to.'

'Should I come over or do you want to meet somewhere?'

Come over? Not a chance! My sister would totally steal you from me! Leann thought and almost laughed. 'Meet.' She typed. 'I don't have a car, though.'

'I can get anywhere I need to.' Arnold sent.

I hope so. Leann thought with a laugh and quickly came up with a good place to meet. 'We can meet at the park and then maybe walk for a bit.' She typed. 'There's a nice pavilion where we can sit, too.'

'Okay. See you in twenty minutes.' Arnold sent.

'See you then.' Leann typed, then she stared at the phone. How did he know that I needed twenty minutes to get there? She asked herself, then she gasped. “I only have twenty minutes to get there!”

Leann pulled off the jogging pants and t-shirt that she had on, looked at the underwear she had worn all day, then cursed at herself for skipping a shower that morning to wait until tonight. She pulled the underwear and bra off and was glad that she didn't smell anything except some sweat, which she would generate by walking to the bus stop and after walking around the park, anyway.

She picked out a nice pair of panties, applied some judicious perfume to certain areas close by, then dressed in her best pair of jeans and a thin sweater. She quickly spruced up her brown hair and then applied some make-up as she checked herself in the mirror. It was getting a little chiller at night, so she knew she wouldn't need much more than that on. She took a small jacket, just in case it was a bit colder than she thought it was going to be when she stopped walking.

Leann went downstairs and peered into the living room to see her sister was preoccupied with her cell phone. “I'm going for a walk.” She said as she walked by the doorway and opened the front door.

“Whatever.” Her sister said, dismissively.

Leann smiled as she stepped outside and closed the door with barely a sound. She walked with a purpose and made her way to the closest bus stop. She couldn't really contain her excitement and had to stifle her giggles as she climbed onto the bus. No one looked at her odd behavior, since they were all used to seeing odd people on the bus, and she rode it to where she needed to go.

After only a single transfer, Leann rode the same bus all the way downtown to the park. There was a stop right beside it, so when she stepped off the bus, she saw the sight she had been so excited to see.

“Hi, Arnold.” Leann said and beamed a smile at him.

“Hello.” Arnold said, then to her surprise, he slipped his arms around her back and gave her a hug. “It's nice to see you after so long.” He whispered in her ear, lightly brushing it with his lips. “You look very pretty.”

Leann blushed hard at the compliment and when Arnold let her out of the hug, he saw it and smiled at her. She caught her breath at how handsome he looked with such an angelic smile on his face. It was so different than what she had been used to seeing on him, that she was at a loss for words and didn't know what to say.

“The pavilion is over that way.” Arnold said and motioned in the right direction, then he put his arm back around her waist and started walking.

Leann liked that he did that. She liked it a lot. He was only a few inches taller than her, so it wasn't awkward like it was with her boyfriend, who was really tall. She was actually starting to hate having her face buried into his chest when they hugged, and he didn't try to kneel or make it easier for her, either. Her thoughts were cut off as Arnold's arm moved up from her back and he put it over her shoulders, then he leaned in as they walked.

“I checked the pavilion's design and it has a few secluded spots for people to sit and enjoy themselves.” Arnold whispered to her.

Leann shivered at both the words and the implication and stopped walking. “Arnold... I...” She turned her head to look at him and he kissed her. Oh, god! She thought and closed her eyes as she put her arms around him.

It was amazing, wonderful, stupendous, and every other adjective that she could think of as Arnold kissed her. She tried to keep her mind going, because if she didn't, she was worried about what she would do to him if she gave in to her desires so quickly. When he broke the kiss, Leann took in a deep breath and let it out. She had forgotten to breathe while they kissed.

“I almost suffocated.” Leann said and laughed a little. “You're a great kisser, Arnold.”

Arnold smiled at her again and she licked her lips. He turned and they started walking again and went over to the pavilion. It was only partially lit up tonight, so there weren't a lot of people walking around the park. He found one of the secluded spots that hid them from view of the walking paths and also gave them a view of the park and the small pond that reflected the lights of the pavilion.

“This really is a nice spot.” Leann managed to say without her voice shaking. She sat there beside Arnold and she liked the warmth that he was sharing with her by holding her tightly. After a few minutes, she turned her head to look at him. “Arnold, I... I know this might sound weird; but, I... well, I...” She took a breath and squared her shoulders. “I don't want to miss this chance.” She said, her voice a lot more confident than she really was. “I know you can't have a girlfriend, so... if you're okay with it, I... I want you to make love to me.”

“Okay.” Arnold said.

“I knew it was going to take some convincing to...” Leann stopped talking and looked into his eyes. “Hold on. Did you just say yes?”

“Yes.” Arnold said and reached up to caress her face. “Do you want to do it right now?”

Leann shook a little at that, then she looked around. “Um... no, I... not outside.” She mumbled. “There... there's a nice hotel...”

Arnold stood up and took her hand and helped her stand. “Point the way.”

Leann pointed and Arnold led her out of the pavilion and along the path to get them out of the other side of the park. He led her across the street and down a little ways to the hotel. He held the door open for her and they went inside.

77