Chapter 33: How Convenient~
1.2k 11 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

[Alright, phase two of relaying the maneater to the Seconden team, let’s go!] Knight leader

 

The remaining members of the Firsten raid team, which was composed of multiple groups of one or two members protected by a vanguard, formed a zigzag pattern towards where the Seconden raid team would be. They were ignored by Bub, who was busy eating the now dead winged man.

 

In consideration of the seemingly newbie players still in peasant clothes, Roderick and Mernjorl as a group were placed at the very back.

 

[With this, we’ll be able to gauge how strong the people here are] Roderick

[And I’ll have time to appraise this “maneater”.] Mernjorl

[Huh, since when did your appraisal magic take that long?] Roderick

[We were weakened the moment we stepped out of that unusual room, remember?] Mernjorl

 

Second to the last was Layla, who did not intend to be in the raid quest, with Big Joe guarding her as the person responsible for dragging her along.

 

[You should’ve told me you’re not a member of this raid, damn it!] Big Joe

[*Whisper*..but I did..] Layla

[Hah??] Big Joe

[N-nothing!] Layla

 

Next was Rick and Nat, followed by Bould and Mary, with Brittany tagging along and toying withteasing Bould. They were not put too far apart, as they had a good synergy as a regular party. Brittany, who was also considered a newbie, was expected to be safe with the party, even more than being put together with Roderick and Mernjorl. Mary shook her head at the sight of Bould blushing and speaking unusually loud and higher pitched around Brittany.

 

[You’re too tense, how about I help you loosen up after this? Fufu~] Brittany

[I-I’m fine, thank you!] Bould

 

In front were eight people separated into three groups. Each group had a knight in it, with the knight leader in the group of two at the front closest to Bub.

 

[A little refresher before we start. While luring the maneater, we will move slowly towards point B, where the Seconden team will be waiting, and hopefully tire it out along the way. Only one group will deal with the maneater at a time, switching with the next group before getting overwhelmed. The group that just finished will then move to the back of the line and rest while waiting for their turn again. Ready?] Knight leader

 

Everyone readied their stance and stretched the zigzag far. The knight leader nodded at the sight of it, then he spoke to the person paired with him.

 

[You just need to distract it so I don’t get overwhelmed too soon, but not too much or it’ll target you instead.] Knight leader

[Okay.] Random player 1

 

The knight leader picked up a stone and threw it to Bub, whose face was buried in the winged man’s stomach.

 

*Thud* The stone hit Bub’s head, and made him look up. His face was covered in blood, and in his mouth and around his neck were intestines.

 

[“Provoke”!] Knight leader

 

He activated a skill as soon as Bub looked at him. The knight’s eyes flashed red briefly. From a prone position while eating the winged man, Bub was compelled to crawl while standing staggeringly towards the knight. As soon as he got up on his feet, something pulled on his neck and caused him to fall on his back anticlimactically. It was the winged man’s intestines still wrapped around his neck.

 

[This is the so-called “maneater”?] Random player 1

 

The random players laughed, but the knights didn’t let their guard down a bit. They were right to do so, since Bub slightly sated his hunger and had recovered a bit of his wits with his berserk state reduced to just frenzied.

 

While lying face up, Bub grabbed the intestines wrapped on his neck and pulled it towards the general direction of the knight leader. This launched the body towards the knight leader’s direction as the intestines snapped off it. The knight had no choice but to catch it with his shield, or it might hit someone else behind.

 

*Clang!* The body hit the knight’s shield and got redirected sideways as the knight couldn’t properly block it quick enough, but it was enough for the body to no longer hit anyone else behind. The same could not be said for the contents of its stomach, though, as entrails and pieces of flesh splattered on the people behind.

 

[Is it raining?] Random player 2

 

The player rubbed the cold wet feeling on his cheek, and found a piece of flesh on his hand.

 

[Fucking disgusting!] Random player 2

[Shit, don’t throw it here!] Random player 3

 

Now freed from the weight of the winged man’s body, Bub got up and ran towards the knight leader who still had his now blood stained shield up.

 

*Bang!* Bub bodyslammed the knight’s shield, staggering him backwards by more than a meter. Before the knight could recover his stance, Bub followed up with continuous downward banging of his arms on the shield like an angry ape. The knight was caught in a lower stance and had to block the downward blows with his shield angled upwards. The sounds it made did not match Bub’s shabby and emancipated body, and each slam of his arms lifted himself upwards due to his light weight.

 

[Don’t just stand there, help me!] Knight leader

[R-right!] Random player 1

 

From behind the knight and his shield, the player clumsily swung his sword towards Bub. Bub stepped back to avoid it, which gave the knight time to recover his stance.

 

[Alright, back off slowly. I don’t think I can fend off his attacks much longer. Second group, get ready!] Knight leader

 

Bub resumed his onslaught while occasionally getting attacked by the player or by the knight with the short sword on his other hand, until finally, Bub grabbed onto the side of the shield and tried to rip it off the knight. With the shield tied to the knight’s wrist, Bub’s pull caused him to stagger forward and open to Bub’s next attacks. Bub raised both of his arms above the knight.

 

[“Provoke”!] Knight 2

 

When the knight leader staggered forward, the second knight entered Bub’s line of sight and used his skill to lure Bub away from the knight leader who was in trouble. Bub, who was about to slam his arms down on the staggered knight leader, paused for a split second and went after the second knight, smacking the knight leader and the player out of the way.

 

The same thing happened with the second knight, except he had two players to support him, which let them take more distance towards point B until passing Bub to the third group.

 

[Their strength seems on par with mid ranked adventurers, but they move like peasants fresh out of their villages.] Roderick

[Untrained nobles, more like it. And what’s up with them shouting or mumbling..names(?) of their moves?] Mernjorl

[Hah, right. So, how’s the appraisal?] Roderick

[This may seem unbelievable, but the guy’s a human. Frenzied and hunger cursed. As for where the curse came from..I need more time.] Mernjorl

[Well, it’s still long before our turn. Hey, looks like it’s Brittany’s group now.] Roderick

 

The third group was about to get overwhelmed, so Bould from the fourth group stepped forward and used his own luring skill while stomping his feet and banging his mace on his shield rhythmically.

 

[Over here, you monster! “Warcry”!] Bould

 

To appear useful, Brittany pointed the palm of her right hand forward towards Bub and used her succubus magic. A very basic one, which she should have no trouble using even in a weakened state.

 

[Ahh, Brittany messed up. This isn’t going to end well.] Mernjorl

[What, how?] Roderick

 

Under the influence of Brittany’s magic, Bub continued to attack the third group relentlessly and with sudden increased intensity. The knight’s shield started to dent, and his supporters were helpless as they couldn’t get in between.

 

[What?? My Warcry’s not working!] Bould

[It must’ve entered its second phase. I’ll buff you up, let’s try again!] Mary

 

Mary started to chant, and Bould waited for the buffs to take effect before using his luring skill again. During that time, Brittany turned and looked at Mernjorl. She smiled, tilted her head slightly, stuck her tongue out, and winked. Mernjorl pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

 

[That fool..] Mernjorl

[What?] Roderick

[Brittany probably used a magic that would amplify that guy’s desires, expecting him to go after her. Well, her succubus abilities to naturally attract those around her were probably also weakened, so amplifying his desires took effect on his hunger instead.] Mernjorl

 

*Bang* Bub’s hands, which he held together, slammed the knight’s shield upwards. It launched the shield, along with the knight strapped on to it, a few meters away. This left the players, who were with the knight, vulnerable to Bub.

 

[Damn, lure him now!] Knight leader

 

The knight leader shouted while running towards Bub without following the right order. At that time, Bub jumped one of the two players from the third group who were no longer protected by the third knight, pinning him to the ground with Bub sitting on his stomach. The other player, who was also close by, stood frozen due to how fast things happened.

 

[Fuck, get off!]

 

The pinned player, who happened to be wielding a spear, could not use his weapon in such a position, so he let go of it and repeatedly punched Bub.

 

*Smack smack* Left and right, the player’s fists hit Bub’s face. It did nothing but annoy Bub, who then grabbed the wrist of an incoming fist and opened his mouth much wider than what a human should be able to.

 

*Crunch* [aaaAAAAAaahhh, m-my haaaaand!]

*Crunch crunch*

 

Bub chewed on the bony hand happily.

 

[Human?] Roderick

[Cursed.] Mernjorl

 

The pinned player flailed in panic, splattering blood from his cut wrist on the face of the other player in his group, which made that player fall on his butt.

 

[“Bless Skill”! Just one skill you use next will become enhanced. Use Warcry now!] Mary

 

Bould glowed yellow briefly when he received Mary’s buffs. When he did, he started stomping and banging on his shield again. As a drawback for having better coverage by relying on sounds, Warcry took longer to activate over the skill Provoke that the knights used. By the time it activated with enhanced effectiveness, it was too late.

 

*Crunch* Bub bit off the pinned player’s throat. Pieces of skin and flesh stretched as Bub pulled away to rip it off. The player let out gurgling sounds from his open neck, before dying.

 

[“Warcry”!] Bould

 

The skill finally lured Bub successfully. The knight leader also came and joined with Bould’s group.

 

[Fifth group, join us! The rest, form a new group! The maneater is now too strong for two or three people.] Knight leader

 

Now that there were more people in a group, they had leeway dealing even with the powered up Bub, but their pace towards point B also got slower. Bould and the knight leader switched with each other in taking blows, Rick and Nat caused distraction whenever it gets dangerous for Bould and the knight, and Mary continuously applied healing and buffs to them. As for Brittany, she surprised everyone except Roderick and Mernjorl by sometimes inserting herself between Bub and whoever it was taking his hits.

 

[Wha- That’s dangerous!] Bould

[Aww, you’re worried about me?] Brittany

 

Bub tried to hit or grab Brittany, which she dodged closely in a sexually provocative dancing manner as she led Bub by the nose. Bub got increasingly frustrated due to the continuous near misses.

 

[I swear, she’s doing it on purpose.] Mernjorl

 

Brittany only did it shortly, though. When she’s satisfied, she’d slip through Bould, and with a flick on Bould’s forehead to snap him out of his trance in watching Britany’s dance, she’d leave Bub in Bould’s care.

 

The other group’s turn would not seem to come anytime soon, just as the knight leader planned. He did not have high expectations of the members of the other group, except Big Joe and the other two knights, though one of the two other knights wasn’t in shape to fulfill his role properly.

 

[Hmm..curse of gluttony..by Elle] Mernjorl

[Elena??!] Roderick

[No, just Elle. Also, soulbound to Elle by subordination.] Mernjorl

[Damn, so it’s a miss?] Roderick

[But, Elle-Elena..it’s pretty close, don’t you think? And since she’s reborn in this world, a change of name should be in order.] Mernjorl

[Now that you mention it.. Then, let’s defeat him and get this “Elle” person’s attention.] Roderick

[Stupid, she’ll just get wary of us. How about, we mark this guy’s soul for tracking and let these fools kill him? Since he’s soulbound, his soul might go straight towards that “Elle”.] Mernjorl

 

While Roderick and Mernjorl spoke with each other, the rest of the second group focused on watching the fight with Bub, except Layla, whose ears perked up at the mention of Elle’s name.

 

(Those two..beautiful men are planning something towards Ms Elle! I need to warn her, but how?? Stupid me for holding back on talking to her and not sending a friend request!) Layla

 

Layla, the overly timid girl who met Elle during her orientation in Firsten, hit herself in regret. Big Joe gave her weird looks.

 

(Based on the videos some stalkers took and posted online, she’s in Thirden now. That’s right, I just need to move faster!) Layla

 

By that time, they had covered great distance and point B was now in sight. Unfortunately, the knight leader and Bould could no longer endure much more as their knees trembled in fatigue. Mary could no longer provide much buffs with her now depleted magic. Rick and Nat still had stamina and magic to spare, but the knight leader thought relying on them alone would be risky.

 

[Their magic is quite inefficient, but those girls are quite competent over the other people we’ve seen so far.] Mernjorl

[Yeah, and the kid is rough on the edges, but is quite talented. As expected of people with “Rick” in their names, hahaha.] Roderick

[We’re gonna pass the maneater over, get ready!] Knight leader

[Finally, some action!] Big Joe

 

Big Joe stepped forward, got into position in front of his group with the other knight, took a deep breath, then shouted.

 

[YOU FUCKER! COME GET SOME!] Big Joe

 

His shout was no normal shout. It had an effect similar to Bould’s Warcry skill.

 

[Well, that’s one way to use Taunt skill. Let’s do this!] Knight 2

 

Big Joe raised his arms like a mixed martial arts fighter. His forearms were covered by worn metallic bracers, and in his hands were spiked knuckledusters with a five inch blade in a backhand grip.

 

Bub, now riddled with shallow cuts and his arms mangled because of his unrestrained attacks against shields, attacked Big Joe like his injuries were nothing. Big Joe, being a frontline fighter not meant to tank hits, mostly dodged or redirected Bub’s attacks that were too strong for him to block or parry.

 

[Kuh! His attacks may be easy to read, but are hella strong!] Big Joe

 

From under Big Joe’s large frame, the petite Layla would sometimes slip in to attack with her shortsword that she wielded like a rapier, and retreat just as quickly as to not obstruct Big Joe’s movements. A synergy perfect for their size difference.

 

[Fencing? Heh, not bad, girly.] Big Joe

 

Unfortunately, this meant the others would not be able to pitch in. This quickly drained Big Joe and Layla of their stamina against the powered up Bub. On top of that, just as Bub’s existing injuries did not seem to affect him, Big Joe’s punches and Layla’s quick stabs only pushed him back a little for a momentary respite before Bub resumed his onslaught. It was effective, though, as they covered greater distance than a group would be able to.

 

[The injured and exhausted, with me to the team from Seconden. MacKean, take leadership for those who’ll remain!] Knight Leader

[Sir!] Knight 2

[Don’t forget, X marks the spot!] Knight Leader

 

The knight leader went ahead, along with the exhausted random players, the injured third knight, Bould, Mary, and Nat. Rick joined the fight, waiting for an opportunity to cut in together with the second knight, while Brittany joined with Roderick and Mernjorl.

 

[My soul tracking mark is ready. I just need to physically touch that guy for three seconds, and we’re good. You’re gonna hold him down for me when it’s our turn, okay Roderick?] Mernjorl

[Yeah?] Roderick

(This brawler’s technique is genius! Brad’s gonna flip when he sees this.) Roderick

[Are you even listening??] Mernjorl

[I am! I am.] Roderick

(Honestly, it’s like I’m babysitting these two sometimes..) Mernjorl

 

Roderick thought about his friend who’s a fist fighter as he watched intently how Big Joe fought with his mixed martial arts techniques. While not at the level of a pro, it showed Roderick that the techniques were highly optimized and efficient compared to fighting techniques of their world.

 

Mernjorl looked at Brittany and asked.

 

[Will this even work in a dream?] Mernjorl

[With a dream world this elaborate, your magic should work on this guy’s..umm..”imaginary soul”? Why don’t we just track Lord Elena herself?] Brittany

[Why wait for our turn, then? Let’s get to it. Hey, knight! Push him over here.] Roderick

 

Before Mernjorl could respond to Brittany, Roderick took action and called out to the second knight. The knight looked at Roderick dubiously in response to Roderick’s request.

 

[C’mon, trust me.] Roderick

[He’s right.] Brittany

 

Brittany’s voice reverberated in the knight’s head. As if hypnotized, the knight charged with all of his strength with his shield in front. He caught Bub from behind onto his shield and kept charging without care for Big Joe and Layla in the way of his charge. Big Joe managed to jump to the side with Layla caught on his arm.

 

[Oof!] Layla

[Watch it, dumbass! You alright, girlie?] Big Joe

 

He looked at the girl in his arms. It would’ve been romantic, except Layla was half conscious with eyes spinning and air knocked out of her lungs after experiencing what felt like a rugby player’s tackle.

 

[You’ll be fine.] Big Joe

 

Big Joe discarded Layla, tossing her aside like garbage.

 

While stuck to the shield, Bub turned around and saw the tranced knight over the shield. He whipped his fist on the knight’s helmet, denting it and knocking out the knight. It would’ve killed the knight if Bub wasn’t in an awkward position for a stronger hit. Then, the unconscious knight fell over on top of Bub and near Roderick.

 

Roderick went over to them and pulled the knight aside before Bub could take a bite off of him. The medium built knight in full armor, pulled aside with just one hand.

 

[Don’t forget to keep your magic power use to minimum and efficiently. Our magic is not bottomless here.] Mernjorl

 

Roderick grabbed Bub by the neck. Bub resisted and repeatedly swung his arms at Roderick.

 

[Okay, okay, just hold still. This will be over quick.] Roderick

 

Unphased by Bub’s hits, Roderick used his other hand to catch Bub’s wrist. Roderick then flipped Bub so that he would be facing down on the ground. With one hand on Bub’s back, and the other on the wrist of Bub’s outstretched arm, Roderick pinned Bub to the ground. Bub flailed around with the rest of his limbs, to no avail.

 

Now with a closer look, they could see Bub frothing pink at the mouth, and his eyes were bloodshot and dilated to the limit.

 

[Can’t we do something about his frenzy?] Roderick

[It’s caused by a curse, so no, not in our current state. Alright, here goes.] Mernjorl

 

Mernjorl placed his hand on Bub’s head for two seconds. It was less than his promised three seconds, and the contact glowed subtly.

 

[It’s done. Let them have him now.] Mernjorl

 

At Mernjorl’s signal, Roderick spoke monotonously.

 

[Ahh, I’m at my limit. I will let go of him now.] Roderick

[Your acting’s terrible as always.] Mernjorl

[No, I really am running out of magic power from enhancing my body. This guy’s quite strong.] Roderick

 

Roderick let go of Bub’s back, then threw him in the direction of the X mark nearby. He didn’t feel any bones break in Bub’s arm despite the strength in his throw. That was because Bub’s mangled arm was already like jelly after repeatedly slamming it on shields. It was a wonder how Bub was able to punch the knight unconscious with such arms. Whipping with his fist was more like it.

 

Just shy of the X mark, Bub slowly stood up.

 

[Over here~] Brittany

 

Brittany called Bub over, with the X mark between them. Bub followed the voice.

 

As soon as Bub stepped on the X mark, countless roots came out of the ground beneath him and wrapped around him. Some broke off as he struggled, only to be replaced by new ones.

 

[Shoot!] ?

*BANG*

 

A gunshot roared at the order of someone from behind the woods. The bullet hit Bub right in the forehead. It didn’t pierce, but the impact was strong enough that it threw Bub’s head backwards so hard it seemed his neck would snap.

 

Then behind the woods, a female knight emerged and came running towards Bub. Her armor was slightly different from the other knights, with parts painted white and with religious symbols. She held her morning star mace with both hands on the side, and swung it diagonally upwards as hard as she could on the stationary Bub’s head.

 

[Grah!] *Donk* [That’s for eating my niece!] Female knight

 

Bub’s head got forcibly turned to the side, his teeth flying and his eye on the opposite side of the hit almost popping out of its socket. He tried to pull his arms out of the branches, which was not too difficult with his mangled and jelly-like arms.

 

[Oh no, you don’t!]

 

A magician in green robes came out and raised his thin trunk-like rod. The end of the rod glowed green momentarily, then thorns came out of the roots that held Bub. This anchored Bub’s arms to the roots.

 

[Heh, the half hour long casting time of this root trap better show its worth now.] Magician

[Grrrrr] Bub

 

*Crack crack* The ground where the roots came out started to crack. If the roots won’t break off, just lift the whole thing.

 

[What?? Keep attacking!] Magician

 

The female knight swung her mace again, and the sniper shot Bub again from within the woods.

 

The knight leader and Bould also joined in. They slammed the edge of their shield on Bub. Then Nat came and started to cast magic. Her rod glowed orange.

 

[Don’t use fire magic!] Mary

 

Mary pushed Nat before the fire magic could be shot. A fireball shot past Bub and the others, and singed a bit of Bub’s hair.

 

[You idiot! You’ll break the trap!] Mary

[Ehh, s-sorry!] Nat

 

Everyone sighed in relief, then resumed their attack on Bub.

 

By the time they finished, Bub hung his bloody head down. Scalp peeling, his skull can be seen in some parts. Swords, arrows, and bolts stabbed into his kneeling body that was stuck in a lifting position. When the roots retreated into the ground, he was left in a position similar to seiza.

 

---

 

[[Subordinate Bub has died. Spend experience points to a shrine to revive and summon a dead subordinate.]]

 

[Wow, how convenient~] Elle

54