Chapter 211: Fated Meeting (II)
1.1k 13 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shunsui's offense, although grave, did not justify the extreme measure of stripping him of his captaincy. Yamamoto’s response seemed disproportionately harsh, likely intended as a deterrent against future misconduct, or perhaps harboring a completely different motive.

As Kazuya's eyes swept the assembly, he registered unanimous astonishment among the captains at Yamamoto’s decree.

‘Old man didn’t tell anyone.’

Sweeping his gaze across the room, Kazuya noticed every captain showing looks of surprise at Yamamoto’s decision.

{Seems like it, Partner. An impulsive decision befitting his fiery Zanpakutō.}

‘Can I beat him with your flames?’

{It’s hard to measure his flames without experiencing them. We might not win but I can confidently say we won’t lose either.}

He acknowledged her analysis with a nod. ‘I might have to stop Yama. There is one percent chance of a fight breaking out.’

With all the chaotic personalities like Kenpachi and Mayuri crowding one place, a fight could break out at any moment. Now that his strength was known, he had no need to hold back if someone provoked him except for Kenpachi. That guy was simply bad news.

{Brandish thy fist and strike Yama’s bald head for a critical strike!}

‘...’

Yamamoto, unaware of the chaotic schemes going on in Kazuya’s head, continued in a detached tone, “Shunsui, what you did was contemptible. You dishonored your rank.”

Shunsui revealed a faint smile at the truthful criticism. “Captain Commander, I appreciate the sentiment behind giving a hard worker like me a long vacation. Just know I’ll not vacate my seat until we resolve the conflict with Hueco Mundo.”

If it wasn’t for the threat within the Soul Society, he’d have accepted Yamamoto’s order with open arms — Kazuya felt that type of energy from Shunsui’s answer.

Unohana’s gaze sharpened, detecting an unusual seriousness in Shunsui's stance. Her attention then shifted towards Kazuya, her eyes searching for answers. “What transformed him?” Her scrutinizing look seemed to inquire.  “What the hell happened to this lazy asshole?”

Kazuya winked back with a friendly smile before shaking his head, resulting in Unohana getting all frowny on him. Communicating that level of information without words was simply impossible.

Captain Ukitake crossed his arms with a slight frown. “Can we just punish Captain Shunsui for the time being?”

“I support Captain Jushiro in this matter,” Unohana voiced out. “We shouldn’t rashly dismiss one of our finest. His strength could be crucial against future threats from Hueco Mundo.”

The long-time friends of Shunsui finally made their discontent known to the Captain Commander.

Yamamoto rose from his seat, still keeping his hands firm on his cane. “Every Shinigami in Gotei 13 has a duty to uphold. A Captain who abandons his comrades in the battlefield is no different from our enemies.”

Captain Ukitake shook his decision. “Master Genryuu-san, you have raised me and him together. He has a firm sense of duty and loyalty. You and I both know that.”

Shunsui and Jushiro, as the first captains under Yamamoto, have been instrumental across countless conflicts, assuming both leadership and support roles. The notion of negating Shunsui’s enormous contributions over a singular lapse in judgment didn’t sit well with Jushiro.

Yamamoto lightly tapped his cane on the floor, sending a tremor through the chamber. Whoever supports this rascal come forward. “Who else supports this rascal? Come forward and speak your mind.”

Mayuri tilted his head as a disturbing grin stretched across his face. “General, I do not have any interest in these matters. Moreover, I need to research some more on this new breed of Arrancars with Zanpakutō.”

Yamamoto raised his hand before waving. “You can return to your base.”

“Thanks, General~,” saying his gratitude, the eccentric captain strolled out of the assembly hall.

Just as Kenpachi was about to stroll out, Kazuya brushed off Momo’s hand and walked towards Yamamoto. Despite wearing a student kimono, he looked no less dignified than the other captains. “I take issue with your decision.”

Yamamoto’s piercing gaze settled on Kazuya. “You are Kazuya Ishihara... Young man, you have my gratitude for protecting the town and our own from the Arrancars… What is your reason for standing up for Shunsui after his selfish decision to abandon you in the battle?”

Kazuya crossed his arms, standing unflinching in the face of Yamamoto’s aura. “He trusted my ability to handle all those twerps by myself. So, he prioritized searching for his Vice-Captain. And besides—mhmm~!”

Yoruichi suddenly lapped his earlobe with her dry tongue. Winking mischievously, she leaped on Momo’s head. “Mewww~.”

After gaining the information of Kazuya’s great role in protecting Isane and Isshin, Yoruichi knew full well that Yamamoto wouldn’t punish Kazuya under most circumstances. She seized the moment to tease him in front of everyone.

“Twerps?” Kenpachi burst into laughter at his bold and arrogant words. Grinning, he slung his jagged and chipped katana over his shoulder and walked towards Kazuya. “You have a big mouth and a bigger spiritual energy to back it up. What do you say about a fight with Kenpachi Zaraki of the 11th Squad?”

“No thanks,” Kazuya immediately refused. “I just reached my yearly limit for fighting sweaty men.”

“Who said you have the right—”

“Kenpachi Zaraki,” Unohana interjected, her voice resonating authoritatively throughout the chamber.  “Leave him alone.”

Kenpachi whipped his head towards Unohana, only to see the former criminal with her eyes closed, as if he wasn’t worthy of entering her eyes. “Heh.”

Kazuya’s keen senses picked up the reason behind Unohana’s strange behavior. Just uttering Kenpachi’s name tinged her Reiatsu with bloodlust and killing intent, lowering the room’s temperature by a couple of degrees. Direct eye contact with Kenpachi Zaraka — the man who decisively defeated her centuries ago — risked awakening her other self.

Her original depraved self who craved nothing but battle and blood. The transformation might be irreversible due to her craving becoming stronger and stronger in the face of her suppression.

{She’ll climax after murdering everyone— that’s borderline crazy.}

‘I love her, though.’

{Get some HELP, Partner.}

Unohana’s lips curled into a soft smile, even though her eyes still avoided Kenpachi. “Wait for the day Kazuya becomes a captain. Then you’re free to challenge him.”

“Hey, he is my squad’s future captain.” Isshin arrived by Kenpachi’s side with Shunpo and pointed at Kazuya. “While he may have agreed to work with the 4th Squad, he will succeed me.”

Unohana crossed her arms. “I’m not stealing your successor. My squad’s future is set in stone with Isane.”

Isshin chuckled. “Your future would have been lost if my lad didn’t save our asses out there.”

Even the assembly hall couldn’t make Isshin serious.

Unohana turned to Kazuya, a soft smile playing on her lips. “It’s Shinigami’s duty to look out for each other. It’s the only way we can contend with the looming threats of Hollows.”

“Or we just send me out there,” Kazuya added. “I’ll make their race extinct.”

{Traitor!!!}

Isshin laughed. “Our duty is to maintain the balance. Wiping out Hollows will achieve the opposite.”

Kenpachi brushed Isshin aside and confronted Kazuya. The battlemaniac’s intense gaze seemed to be etching the young man’s face into his memory. “I’m gonna wait for the day you become a Captain. Then we’ll fight until you kill me or I kill you.”

Kazuya wore a troubled look. “That day is quite far, so why not?”

A bloodthirsty splitted Kenpachi’s mouth. With a nod, he casually walked towards, tapping his chipped katana on his shoulder.

Unohana exhaled deeply, visibly relieved from Kenpachi’s departure. “Sorry for the interruption, Captain Commander.”

“No need,” Yamamoto replied, eyes on Kazuya. “I can forgive Shunsui’s transgression under one condition. You’ll lose your merits for this—”

“Go ahead,” Kazuya interrupted Yamamoto. “I don’t even want merit for bullying those trash Hollows.”

Yamamoto’s easy persuasion confirmed Kazuya’s doubts. Shunsui’s trial was a setup to test Kazuya’s demeanor — whether or not he was worthy to be a captain. Were this truly a matter of disciplinary action, the Central 46 would have been the adjudicators, not Yamamoto.

The trial also served to teach Shunsui about the potential outcome of his grave mistake.

A flicker of surprise crossed Yamamoto's features at Kazuya’s indifference to accolades, hinting at an undercurrent of respect or perhaps reconsideration of Kazuya’s character. “I will delay Shunsui Kyoraku’s punishment until we’ve dealt with the war waged by the Arrancars,” he declared, signaling the end of the discussion with a tap of his cane before seating himself. “All Captains are hereby ordered to stay prepared for any potential invasion from Hueco Mundo.”

“Yes, Captain Commander!” Every Captain present replied in unison.

Kazuya exchanged a knowing glance with Shunsui and Nanao, feeling a hint of respect in their gazes. Yamamoto’s spontaneous decision earned him more loyalty from Shunsui and Nanao.

He turned his attention to Unohana. “Captain, are you going to the 4th Squad’s barracks?”

“You seem to be in a hurry to meet Isane.”

“A little. She went through a lot.”

Unohana let loose a warm smile. “She is doing fine, but you’re free to meet her.”

“Let’s go then.”

62