003: Insanity is the best plea I can offer.
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV: Arthur King.

The collar is wrapped around my neck, but not latched ― yet. I do not feel a strong trickle of magic or mana leaking from its leather, stitching, or jewels ― not even a small bit. But thankfully if it's only this, I can break free ― a slave collar with no slave magic is nothing ― though I'd have to act better than I ever have.

If Roia wasn't sweating before, she seems to do so now, or I see damp armpits ― in more than a few people here too. Understandable; this moment is intense. I promise, I will make it up to Roia the delay in the plan. Eh like I said ... it's all under control ... right? I'm still in control?

The twelfth hour in the morning has already seen and heard the city cathedral bell ring while the countess Marlena talked to me, allowing our chat so much ample privacy. At least for the more inferential of words, for which I am grateful. Yet I don't know how long this standoff here can last; one more hour until a noon comes, and a meal? I don't know; I think so ― but I truly did not intend for the day to end up this way, so desperate for all of us involved.

Instead of a simple plea 'I come before his highness the king to request permission to buy the slave Roia', instead now I am facing so much more. A royal courtship to one princess, an utterance of some romantic connections to a countess, and now a vengeful heir prince. I admit maybe one or all three might be my fault though. None of them were what I thought earlier-

-oh sure I did think maybe to use the princess too, in some grander scheme; just not to let myself get wrangled into such a relationship. But since arriving, I see how she's got her own emotional baggage to deal with. Mine is no less intense, my fault or not ― and if I have a collar put on me now and face a second stint of slavery, I'm ... going down swinging.

"... but it's not your choice, of whether I'm here or not, you copper coined prince of nothing."

My best insult ... at least I think. Meaning, I set his value as even less than what he valued his own sister, Princess Candra.

-oof, again-

Ow. Why does this thug keep going for the stomach? Minor win though, in Candra's eyes-

"That's the last sass I'll take from the likes of you!"

"Brutus!" The king hastens to call off his son, who pulls off the collar and storms back to his seat. Me ... so glad to have the disgusting thing taken away ... even if the prince did manage to strain my neck muscle by his pull of force. I may or may not have a few fiendish retorts to send on the way-

"You too, boy. Silence." The king might have seen me thinking. If only he'd think back, he might realize I'm the same one he summoned.

Somewhere in here, I will have to turn the tables on a room full of royals and nobles. Hmm how.

"If nobody has any use for him," inserts Countess Marlena, playing ― "I'll take him. Not collared though ― I like my men free willed and independent. It gives them that extra ... virility, or spontaneity."

"No!" shouts Candra ― in shock she's so close yet so far, for love. Candra is at a delicate state ― she hates 'Darren' for what I left said; yet she loves him too ... or fears not finishing the romance potential between the two of them. She did drop some cruel secrets, not so long ago-

"Sorry, countess," the king injects, "but this event is to determine a match between Candra and Darren."

"Oh. But then sire if it should not go-"

It's time I should maybe make a play before the king, in a direct way. "-if I may speak-"

"What do you have to say for yourself, young man."

His face leaves zero doubt, he will not accept any sass or wordplay from me; I'll have to tread softly ... as much as I can. But I do still have more tricks in mind.

"It is true, this marriage was arranged from ... before. But times have certainly changed, have they not; I know I've got some problems too, in this life." And now here's where I kinda do to these people like I did to the soldier unit, indicate how much a cad Darren is or was. "But eh ... you know ... even I have had problems in my life. I am disinherited, too ... divested of the wealth and stuff ... ejected from home, and ... ah, ha, ha ... well I'm broke. Worse; in debt to some rough types-"

I let this come out as a flat admission, to the shock of all in the room. Again. Priceless.

"... and then you know, um, I ended up going here and there, skipped out of one too many brothels, without paying ... and they send someone for ya. Sorry but, whatever last bit of wealth I had from home, is all long gone. I don't know if I have a family to return to, or even their financial state any more. I'll never visit another brothel, in my life. But, I'm ... here."

The king frowns, as if he's grimly doubting just now Darren coming into his family. But it's his own fault, for having put out the word to have 'me' dragged here.

Marlena ― maybe she knows I played a huge trick ― holds off a laugh somehow. Her, I want to use her mirth at my apparent misfortune, to my advantage, somehow. Even Candra has just noticed my sideways glance to the countess ― ooh I can use this!

"... and ... the thing," Candra whimpers, "the thing with the countess, there ― I want to know, what-"

"-Candra. Dearest Candra, it's not what you think. I had a 'business arrangement' with this countess, one which may be ongoing for some time still. Only business; she made it seem something else, by her own whim. Princess Candra. Aah even the countess tells me, if I won't take her ― I must not fail to accept you; and this is why she stormed off. You, you are such a dear young woman, I would love to travel this wild world with you on my arm. If only such were possible ― to go, out there, to see-"

"-oho, but it is," the king inserts with a satisfied grin. "Accept this marriage accord, Darren; and then have your honeymoon to take you two on an excursion."

Candra stares with a pure shocked look, to hear her father say this ― but then shifts near glowing now, realizing maybe her chance of going 'somewhere not here' is now possible, more than ever before. And openly so, if the king even permits it, by my openly asking.

"R, really father, we can, go-?"

"Yes dear daughter, I truly do wish you to be happy. Whether it is with this boy, or with young Count Schrieffer, or-"

"No not Count Schrieffer! He's ... he's fat, and he ... stares at me-"

"Well then it seems it has to be, your Darren. Whatever his means."

"Oh thank you father! You will never regret it!"

"I so hope you are right, young Candra; my sweet candy Candra-"

"I WILL NOT ALLOW THIS-"

"BRUTUS!"

The son is glaring even at his father? Um, no, I don't want to be responsible for him. Please just let it go, Brutus? Please?

"He just said something before this ... I cannot ignore! Talking about brothels, and skipping out on deals-"

... I got one chance, in this-

"Aah but young prince," I sooth, "do you not remember also telling me about your own experiences, in such places?"

Oh, he's near apoplectic now. If I don't watch it, he will burst a blood vessel or something.

"That- that's a joke, I said it only to tell you to g, get it out of your system, before you marry my sister! Y, you ass!"

"... uh huh. Well then if you joke about that one part, then did you joke about ... the other part? The other thing you said, that day?"

He's going to kill me ― plain and simple ― kill me now.


This challenge is a daring maneuver. I don't know anything of those 'old days' where the prince and Darren ever hung out. I only know what might have happened if I were there, and by gauging what I think the prince might be like in real life. As I said; daring.

Still under control? Maybe-?

But also, I may be getting through to some of these people. For them to try to hold my leash, just might be more than they can handle, right now. I am not for them to toy with me, not for any reason.

"It's not so fun for me to be on the receiving end of this; but neither will it be for you. So, the same for all of you," I continue. "I know just enough about each of you, either through a direct association or from hints, rumors which get told ― so I think I'll safely stay distant from the politics. But something I could admit to, away from all the politics of the world, is ... Candra and Darren should be together. Without hesitation."

She's ... beyond smitten, she's swooning.

Plus- I think, 'I' just proposed something, with her and I.

To turn the tide, I will use the one exotic skill from the old world, one which allows me unique influence over another person's will, through the extended oratory. A 'charismatic boon'. It doesn't negate their will; it only bends them to 'see it my way' ― if I can successfully manage to 'sweet talk' everyone in the room at once.

"... but also, I have to admit. This me who you see here, is nowhere near ready for marriage. Especially when it's said Darren Hillyer is far less noble than Princess Candra deserves, who at no fault of her own is treated as a sad failure when she is not. This is not to say I would not be ready and willing to resume the marriage preparation ... in a short while. I have ties to some ... 'less than ethical persons', through which my honor must allow me the obligation of severing those ties myself, so I can then resume matters here. If I say I have things to do, is it sufficient and agreeable, dear king?"

"... well, I ... I guess-"

"FATHER!" the prince almost roars. "DO NOT AGREE-"

-of course. He would be the one this skill would not work against.

"Brutus it's enough already! I am allowing this matrimony myself!"

The son, Brutus, finally goes soft, and just sinks into his chair. It's a final point ― he wasn't able to derail the courtship, for any reason-

-I'm glad; but also sad. He's a sick man, for having used his little sister, like he has.

"So. Darren Hillyer. What to do with you. Hmm. It would have been better if you retain your ancestral connections; but if Candra gives her own agreement in the matter ... then-"

"-I do!"

I smile, to see such adoration. Even while my stomach is doing some flip-flop-

"Well then as the king, I do declare you ... unofficially for now, let's not tell the world yet ... engaged for marriage. Welcome to the extended family of Povrah."

-sort of like the little statement the former queen said to me, in the last world. Except in her case, she only said it with begrudging respect and a warning at the end.

"M, must you go?" Candra swooned, still seated but imploring me with lovey eyes. I bet she's almost at the point of leaping up, to come to me, right now. "Can you not just stay, and ... be with me? Or, take me with-"

"Sorry but yes, I do have to go. Some of those people might be ... rough; so I don't want you hurt. I am not leaving you to feel alone, after this is done; I will be back ... I do promise." I smile, turning to the king, and offer my new inquiry, the next to the last thing I want to try. "Hey what's this I hear about ... the soldiers looking for some person, here in the capital? Someone got away-"

"AH! N, n, no. Nothing out of the ordinary!"

This lie is another dark mark on them. These royals ― they sure do lie as easily as they take a breath. I can even see it in Candra's face; she knows the truth, but is disgusted so suddenly he told lies. Or maybe not outright lie in this context, as much as cover a truth; but, it's all the same to me-

"Oh well, as long as I can go quickly, so I can return as quickly. Then sire. Will I have some title or station to come back to, in due time-"

"Why yes of course. Any person who weds into the House of Povrah should be fully conveyed inside of our affairs. All I will have of immediate dispensation is ... um, a ward, here within the capital; it's the one you spent a lot of time in when here before. So in time I will see if you are capable of managing more than this. Um. Clerk Jinny. Go grab a copy of Ward Seventy Nine for the young man, and a copy of its previous year's tax rolls for it, too."

I look around; the others merely watch the spectacle ― though I note how Candra glares ― oh so it's this type of place in which Darren could have a reputation? The countess holds back more of a smile plus laughter in the moment ― she knows too, it seems, into what hot water where "Darren" finds himself.

"... well ... it is a start ... sire. Then it is your right to do so."

"It may seem like nothing, right now ― high crime and unemployment all through the ward ― but do not discount it as a holding. Understand too if I cannot grant you a grand estate; but in time, a march may be something of interest since you also lived in a border territory. I can understand you severing ties to your past ... but I only ask of you, do not do anything further to be similarly cut off from here."

A strict warning, then. He's saying, if I am going to marry into his family, I damned well better be sure to mind my P's and Q's. And also to 'X Y Z'.

I still have a way out of the later marriage to the princess. It's not pretty, it means faking the death of Darren in front of the princess or others ... but ... she can get over me. But then from the shadows ― no longer playing as Darren Hillyer the disgraced fool ― I can later arrange her freedom, of a sort.

But why is Roia ... looking unhappy-

Oh. Yeah. I forgot her. I did? She's the reason I came back!

"Begging your pardon but, could I get started on having a personal staff again? Even that spare slave you have off to the side there might be sufficient, for beginners."

"Eh ... what, this girl, she's a failed summon. I don't think she'll be worth anything other than ... um, whatever you use girls for."

Candra flips back to an accusatory look. And the king too perchance thinks I still mean to be a cad, only a discreet pervert at best ― which is laughable, considering other things.

"Even so. This Darren, if I may be so bold, will not have those needs except to remain as I am for the sake of Candra. I'm done in playing the cad; though I fear being brought to the eyes of all to inspect, I do recognize a need to be ... more than I am, now. So to be better, I will need a maid or chamberlain or steward; a trusted assistant. Maybe more as I go forth."

Candra spoke out of her growing frustration, a query. "Darren dear, then why not a male-"

But the king spoke over even his own daughter. "Why her. Why this girl."

"Her? Oh, nothing more than a hunch, it seems maybe she has some talent? Well if she is a 'failed summon' to you, it does not mean I think she is without talent. Did you check to see if she has any business or administrative knowledge? Not all summons gain 'hero nature' you know, but they aren't surely nothing either. And your having her today must mean you likewise value her in some small way; just call it an early selection. Or, so I think."

"Aha, yeah, how well I do know it. Someday I may tell you about the one who got away. Hmm. Yes you might be right. Roia!"

"Y, yes master?"

"From now on you will be bound to follow this man. Until the day you die or he frees you or sells you, you will obey him. Darren, you have to then complete the ritual ― a pinprick, a drop of your blood on the stone, say your own name, and then she will be 'bound' to you."

Roia is trying so hard not to grin in relief; I see she's holding back with 'only' looking like she's calm.

... eh, we can do the blood thing at a later time. On second thought, I don't like blood rituals, they're disgusting. For now, I'm ready to go.

"Well then ... we can dismiss from this grouping. Young Darren. Do properly take care of your affairs ― and most important, my youngest daughter ― from now on."


Roia is walking a path straight to me; but then again, so is Candra. Hmm. Choices, in the moment. I divert my own attention to call out one other person.

"Oh, Countess Marlena-"

Marlena, the beautiful countess, smiles since I made the way for her to come so directly to me ― with bouncing steps she also rushes this way. She might want to try me on for finding treasure of a different sort-

"-come on, Darren," Candra reaches me first and tries to pull me away, before the other woman can catch up.

"Just a second; I have to make sure my business with the countess is still good. Please wait?"

"Hmm!" She turns aside, showing how miffed she can be. She's a veritable flip-flop of emotions, so many of them in such a short time.

Roia is calm, excited but now so calm, things can only get better for her.

Marlena again extracts her orb and triggers it, this time with me and her at a different corner.

"Countess, about the thing from earlier-"

"... aah I really did wonder how you would have got out of today's mystery. I am thankful you are such a cunning linguist."

She is truly pushing bounds, isn't she. Like, edging right up to something of a personal nature.

"All joking aside-"

"Who's joking? Your wordplay truly did take cunning to pull off. I am fine with you playing who you are playing, here; but ― cunning or not, you'll have to follow through to Princess Candra, to get anywhere in this world."

"Maybe another world would work better, then."

"Ah, confirming what I already suspect then? The game's just barely started, why not let me have some fun investigating you first, before you admit all, and submit to me?"

"... would it also be like a game if I were to assume you are this world's goddess, who is playing at being a mortal human for a while? Well ... goddess, or one of her assistants-"

"-either way ― I will not dare. But the general logic to counter your assumption is, if I am the goddess, why would I not know where a treasure is? And if I am a goddess and know the treasure's whereabouts, why would I be wanting to find it? Nope. But let's have some fun, for a few years!"

"Oh, I get it ― it's a game to you. Fun, but let's not have any casual damage to innocent people, okay?"

"... don't assume everyone who gets hurt or worse is innocent, dear boy."

"Anyway. Done here? I'll see you in a few days-"

"Don't put off seeing me, again! I am heading back to the county a day after tomorrow; so we have to meet again sometime in the next two days. It's better if you maybe see me at night ― it's the 'Summoned One Inn', room four twelve. Keep me posted, 'dear' ― I want you to ... come to me-"

L, let's break it off right here, before the innuendo gets deeper.

"... anyway I gotta handle a princess now, bye."

"You better come to me, boy, before I leave ― or I'll be telling rumors of you taking advantage of me-"


As I stepped back toward the princess, the countess calls out with her own intent to vex either me or the princess-

"And you really are such a cunning linguist, too!"

I-

-what-

-huh.

Candra is glaring now ― while behind me Countess Marlena lets out a generous cackle. She does, she thinks it's a game, doesn't she.

"My dear future husband. What is that about?"

"... eh, well, she is toying with me. Ah let her flirt, in the long run it works out for me ... and thus you too, if you will trust I do not plan to give in to her."

"She, she better not ever kiss you in front of me again! A, and you can't just keep using the same line as in the past! If you kiss another woman and I hear you tell me 'insanity is the best plea I can offer' again ― I'll-"

What. The true Darren, was a real cad, in front of her, even?

I stop Candra in her challenge, before she gets up the nerve to go after Marlena or speak so angry. Cupping Candra's chin gently with my fingers, I tilt her head up toward me, and give her the best lovey dopey eyes I can affect. Truly, this act is the same way I drew my wife in the last world to me.

"Dear Candra. She is someone who is ... not as valuable to me, as you are. I know how you felt back then, and maybe by what your brother says of you now ... but how do you feel you are worth, right now?"

"... I don't know. If you go by my brother, I'm only a gold-rimmed silver coin-"

"-to me you are a diamond."

-er, let's seriously hope this world knows diamonds-

Her blush is real. I smile genuinely, and lean in, with my lips so near hers, and she meets the kiss.

But after a second, I pull back. "Mm, let's keep this proper, then. Let all my sins of the past, be forgiven. I need you, Candra."

She embraces me with such passion, no wonder she feels so lonely for so long.

"So ... do you?"

"Hmm, Darren?"

"Do you trust me. Do you trust how all the facts or rumors or whatever incidents of my past, is all behind me. Or will be, once I finish tying loose ends."

"Yes! Oh yes I do!"

"And ... if I said I had a secret, even larger than this ... will you trust me as I work on it? That you are content to just be at my side as we travel the world?"

Roia rolls her eyes, but smiles no less sneaky at my covert placative gestures. Thankfully, Candra could not see this, or it would be another scene.

"... yes! I want to see all those places we talked about before! Raining Fire Island! Sunken Frozen Mountain!"

"So. Lunch, my dear, while I wait for those documents?"

"Yes. Let's go to that one place ― that diner on the corner of three streets ― what's the name-"

"-fun memories; but just a quick meal then to bed early-"

A hand grasps a part of my pants-

"-I know what you mean, honey-"

DENIED!

"-no seriously. I've been on the road a long while just to get here. I truly am so tired."

"... oh." A sly smile crept up on her face. "But that doesn't mean we can't jump in bed ... and-"

Oh so she is eager, and she is trying to make me eager, as well. But ... Roia to the defense-

"Master, allow me to find food for you."

Candra ignored the slave, and only fixated on me. "But at least say you're hungry, let's go out, Darren love, just for a while; we can find you a bed ... later."

She means to drain me, either by physical acts or romantic pressure or ... some other effort-

"If I can ask, Candra ― are you okay, if it's only managing a city ward, for now? It's maybe not the most glamorous of career options-"

"-I'll be there too!"

Oh so she intends to watch 'me', to see I'm not being unfaithful?

"But really, some of those details are not so pretty to look at; not like life here in the castle."

"Darren dear, you did tell me this once before! I am not naive! And I am going to be there!"

Oh this word is a new one ― Darren admits his perversions to Candra ― must have been a shock to her ... or maybe his way to bend her to go along-

Clerk Jinny did step up, handing over a courier pouch, a bundle of papers within. I will study this, much later. ... huh? Even this 'Clerk Jinny' can smile at me?

"... sorry gotta go!"

"Hey! I wanna lay down and f-"


Pulling away from the disappointed princess, Roia and I head out to the street. Roia and I have gone from this room onto the third floor balcony, so I can collect the portal and store it until I can place it. So tricky an effort in any world; but surprisingly easy to move from here ― maybe the mana which should hold it in place is still keyed to the other world? It gets easier to take portal nodes I'd placed, even those shown as affixed.

"We really do need to find a better spot for the portal anyway," I whisper after we passed out of the line of searching for 'me'.

She nods, but gives no suggestion. But she does speak to some other thing. "Thank you, for ... not forgetting me."

"Of course. I could not live with myself if I left you behind."

She grins weakly, but says no more.

The street is active, fairly packed and flowing with traffic, even with this 'search for the intruder' with a description like mine.

Honestly. You'd think the king would let his soldiers stop looking, as the literal 'me' could be anywhere by now-

But no. The king and his 'honor' knew no bounds on having the last word, especially to one he called forth who disappeared. If he's so vindictive as to have lost me ― then surely he would keep ordering the army soldiers to keep looking, forever.

In short, would this kingdom turn into the kind of controlling state I knew back on Earth, in the one land?

Probably. And I want nothing to do with it.

"Roia."

"Hmm?"

"... for this 'cover identity', I suppose ... we should find an inn or something. Got any suggestions?"

"-at least to an apothecary or something," she whispers. To my quizzical look, she counters, "Hey I just saw you kiss a princess with a cold sore on her lips! Who knows what STD you'd catch!"

"... eh ... yeah maybe that's the case, though I do only have to step back inside my realm ― and, heal. Which is why, I need to find an inn."

"I see. Many ideas from the rumors about this Darren you are playing. I would think him likely to take a cheap room in the brothel district here in the capital, instead of reaching out to his former nation for hospitality. But, I ― my only request is ― please don't take me to ... those places."

I nod mutely, both in understanding and in mild confusion she might think me bastard enough to do such a thing with her. Well it's not like I didn't have it as a minor thought to play with her at least since first seeing her in the king's summon chamber, and seeing how she sees me-

"Hey ― Darren? Hold up a sec."

Oh. It's the lieu- uh, new captain. Brant Gearhart. Which reminds me, should I be still displeased at him bringing me in, or can I pass off the earlier thing as behind me since I got the princess and the admin rights over a ward?

"Hey ... Captain. How are you doing?"

"Seems you were right, after all ― I really did get to captain, before you got your own ... got out of your predicament. Hmm are you secretly a seer?"

His joking looks aside, I can only play along. "Ha, ha, maybe ... but no. Just a feeling I really had, when looking at you. And, knowing my own history, anyway-"

"Well either way ... thanks. For whatever part you had to do with it. Seems these days, ranking has suddenly become both more easy and more hard, at the same time ― if this makes any sense. Also, thanks is given in behalf of the rest of my unit; they also got the same thing for today."

I looked down, took the hand offered from the gruff looking yet friendly soldier, and shook it.

"Well anyway ... my misfortune truly did become your better fortune then. Unless you want to say me being dragged into an arranged marriage to the young princess or being assigned administration rights to one of the city's wards is-"

"Which one."

"One what?"

"Which ward. If it's the one you are rumored to once frequent, the one with all the brothels and criminal types ... oh I'm sorry for you buddy. But for any other one, let's say I do want to request to be in your court ― would you consider it? Right now the unit's more or less on passive patrol but you know how wearying this can be. Assigned to the office right inside that gate we came in too, next to where we got the cart for the ride, in case you want to look me up. Oh and congrats on the nuptials, arranged or not she's a pretty girl."

I've seen better, hotter, though ― even Roia might be prettier, in a certain light ― not going to say this-

"... unfortunately it will be the one ward. Number Seventy Nine. Not sure I'm ready to take over, yet; I need to find an inn, and get my bearings. And please keep the wedding news to just us, for now; I'm not ready to spread this."

The captain, he looked between me and Roia, and probably made a few assumptions on the spot.

"Ah yeah ― it's good I waited for you. I got a friend ... she runs an inn near our unit dispatch point ... let's say she owes me one, for ... well some other favor. Tell her my name as who recommends you, remind her this takes care of the case of room three oh nine. Nothing more but head to either room or dining hall. Clean rooms, maybe not spotless like some of them ranked inns; but it'll get you some shuteye for a few hours, and the meals are at least palatable. Plus since she's got a few 'working girls' around she don't mind none if you bring a sex slave in with ya-"

"... master has promised I am not to be used for sex. I am to be a trusted adjutant!"

Aha, Roia, so quick to say this and make known the bounds of our relationship. I might have wanted to let him think these thoughts though. Certainly made the captain reassess this Darren Hillyer son of Corban the Mighty. Or, former son of ... this Corban guy.

"Well yeah, it's as she says; I do well enough in romance to not force it, there; but I do need to have someone to help with those other things. Paperwork and such. If you are heading that way, can I catch a ride, at least as far as the inn you mention?"

"... problem is, the rest of my unit went back with the wagon; I stayed behind as a matter of course on some other thing. I'm walking, but if you don't mind the legwork-"

"Lead on."


How can Roia have so deftly inserted such a comment? Well ... because she's not "mine" yet. I haven't performed the 'blood on a stone' ritual yet.

Truthfully, a slave magic in this world might not be so identical as the former world. In the past, it dealt with speaking a more elaborate smattering of words, and then grabbing the slave collar and blood on a stone. But here it seems to just use a drop of blood and say the new master's name. Probably a weaker bond between master and slave too, if I think about it ― in Pernam the bond was nearly absolute, but in Klee maybe even a summoned one like Roia has partial freedom to try disobedience.

Perhaps too one reason why this world treats slaves like trash ― a master can never trust a slave to have the absolute obedience I'd known ... got forced to give ... before I "broke" things.

In the meantime the captain and I chat about things. He seems interested in news from beyond the capital. Aside rumors I'd overheard, I mumble vague comments; he doesn't like it I cannot just say an answer, but maybe he senses there's a lot of it which I cannot say, for other reasons. Roia is oddly silent and maybe he thinks it's about her-

And too, he subtly tries to ingratiate himself to me now ― in some way for me to have him in mind, when I take the ward. He's direct and honest in his admissions of certain facts-

"-and you will need a captain of the guard, for your ward, right? Because, whatever team or unit is left there, might also be part of the reason it's still like this. Plenty of reasons to shake up this place, and maybe do it right! I might venture my team is looking for something with less a 'go here, do this' kind of mentality; I'm not supposed to know but one of the ladies is pregnant in my team, so she'll need a good residence-"

"Whoa hey there, I did say I would keep you in mind. I get how you're really trying to stack the deck in your favor ― but I haven't even seen the ward in some time. When I do, I will properly consider you, if you keep clean, too. Alright?"

"Good enough. Sir-"

"Just Darren, for now. Neither the marriage nor the ward can be properly considered 'mine' until the day such is properly invested to me."

"... even so. Y, you do, um, plan on following through with this? I mean, going from soldier to ... whatever ― I don't want to get my hopes up, either-"

"Insofar as I can admit, Captain, none of us knows what tomorrow will bring ― yes I do plan to move forward."

He nodded, and finally fell silent while we marched forth.


Mere minutes more, as I saw the walls and gate looming nearer, the captain pointed out the inn off to one side.

"That's the 'Up All Knight Inn', the place I told you about. Ha ha, such a clever name don't you think? Well anyway. Probably like most other inns, you pay the fee, you get a room; plus, if you want meals or baths or whores ― it's extra."

He again glanced at Roia; she said nothing but held a faint scowl. This worked anyway, to let him think what I'd want him to infer. So if Roia was 'not for sex', then if the captain suggested I could still have this, for the extra fee ― why should she care what I did with whoever was available?

Come to think of it ... why did she just scowl at all, right then?

Women are not supposed to be confusing to me. I do know their hearts and minds, quite well ― on three worlds now ― ever since my youthful life on Earth too. Only ... I'm not sure just now what Roia is thinking.

Maybe as Candra says Darren said ― 'insanity is the best plea I can offer' ― yes, I had even said this once or twice, myself. Damn, it might mean more equivalence between Arthur and Darren than I formerly thought the case. Whose life is whose ― I am beginning to wonder-

Gearhart holds open the inn's main door, ushering Roia and I inside, then follows too. "I'll just introduce you ... and then I gotta get back to the post."

At the front desk, a woman sits bored, but looks up as the trio steps inside.

"Oh hi Brant honey," she grins, with what I perceive to be a more or less lecherous look. Yeah, she and the captain might be more than just 'friends'.

But glancing at me, her face softens to a more mundane look. Glancing briefly to Roia and I, then back to the captain, she asks, "Hey. This the guy on the paper?"

"Yeah but ... he got circumstances, Tiff. Already took him before the king, so they gonna rescind the papers shortly. This guy and his slave need a room ― in exchange for our 'owe you one' bits, I want you to give them both a room for now. It'll be worth it, I promise-"

"... okay, no skin off my tits, hon. Except if the new note don't come through on him soon, I still owe you nothing in exchange, and if he can't pay then you gotta. You know as well as I, the penalty if I harbor a fugitive-"

I insert something in my own defense. "Actually I'm not a criminal ... er at least not in this land. Problem is, formerly being engaged to the young princess but running off. Now I came back trying to make good. Which is why I got dragged in front of the king, if you can keep it a secret between us. I don't know if a paper will come through on me or not. But anyway, I hear a lot of searching for someone who got away is going on, so something else is afoot in the capital here, which probably takes precedence too."

"Heck yeah ... and soldiers rummage through my rooms and client book, too. Scared off half my customers. But when one dirty soldier starts feeling up my girls, even when they said no man could be hiding inside their shirts or pants ― my girls want to quit, so then I might have to shut down too."

This news brought a shock to the captain's face; and he actually growls.

"Who!" Captain Gearhart erupts. "Who did it, Tiff?"

Brant's outburst surprises Tiff, but only for a second. She replies as if it's nothing; but it seems maybe she will be thinking of his reaction, for a while after this.

"... some corporal. Um, Gegenschein, or something. His partner said 'Gegenschein, no-', but ... he still assaulted my girls-"

I saw the captain's face ― a furious glare appears. His nostrils flare as he breathes hard.

"I'll deal with him-"

"Ah," I also insert, "remember the deal with me, though, captain. You gotta stay clean of any misdealing, for me to consider you for the other thing. Whoever he is or whatever he did, ... don't you overdo it."

"... uh right. Catch you later," he added as he departed.

I do believe he's still likely to execute judgement upon the corporal, though.

Maybe a captain has this kind of authority? Or maybe does this world's or this kingdom's martial laws allow any officer to punish any inconvenience at their whim?

"Anyway hon," the lady continued, once Brant left. "My providing a room for you and your sex slave-"

"-not a sex slave. I am master's clerical assistant."

Roia states this, with pride.

"-eh, whatever you wanna call her, boy, is fine with me. We get all sorts in here too, calling their slaves all sorts of odd titles; but it still ends the same ― sex, all night."

"... but she's telling the truth. Tiff, is it? Well yeah. I have my own circumstances, but so does this girl. Basically got a whole pack of 'Gegenschein' type men hold her down and ... ahem. She don't want to be used for sex and I don't want to force her ... if she's not willing to do this with me."

Uh. This is said aloud but maybe I didn't need to say it. Glancing aside, Roia is embarrassed too, but faintly smiling in relief at my statement. Girls; go figure-

"I see, I see. Well then, just a room, after all-"

"-it doesn't have to be the best, but it should at least be clean and comfortable, for what's included in paying off your debt to the captain."

"... he got promoted?"

"Yeah; my misfortune, his fortune. He and his unit nabbed me out on the road into the city, took me to the king, and he somehow got awarded for it. Hmm, it gets me to realize some people may think me to be an unlucky fool or something."

"Nah, just them royals tend to get a little ... uptight. All about their rights, not us little folks' rights."

"I know this, well. And, instead of writing my name as Darren Hillyer, may I suggest writing it as Arthur King? It's an alias I use ... and I'd rather not spread my real name so easily, around here."1... oh ... the irony ... names

"Anyway. Arthur it is. Third floor okay? Room three oh two; only got a couples' bed for two people though, sorry but it's the only room open. Here's the key; turn it slow, we've had a lock mechanism break on too violent a twist. The dining room is open til the kitchen shuts down, usually by eight, but other diners out there might stay open for the late night clientele. Nissy dear ― please put in an order for one plate each for these two. Arthur, or Darren, whatever ― do you two want to eat in the dining room, or in your room?"

I pause for thought, and so does Roia. For me it's a choice of something I ― Arthur ― have no need of, if I'm going to eat from my own realm's produce; but if I ― Darren ― push off eating anything, then the jig is up. They would think it odd I'd not eat or let a slave eat, unless ... something odd is happening. So instead of causing confusion, I just decide to accept a meal. Plus, I'm not feeling like being on display in some dining room where any other recipients of the inn's services could see me.

"... normally I'd say okay to dining among others ― but tonight I'm tired enough to just go to the room. It's probably just easier to bring the food to the room, right."

Tiff passes another assuming glance to me and Roia; then just sighs.

"Suit yourself. So then ... the stairs up is along the hall, past the dining room, turn right and head up. You get a wash bucket; a latrine is at the end of the hall, and a maid service follows sunup. If you need any of our ... night services ... that's not included in the room fee, so you have to come to the night clerk here. Any questions?"

"Understood, that's enough for us. Thank you, Miss Tiff."

"Yes, Miss Tiff; thank you too for the room," Roia adds with a solemn nod and half bow of respect.

"Don't mention it; or thank your buddy for the favor he pulled outta me."

-I may be misunderstanding what kind of 'favor' Tiff owed Brant which could permit me a free stay-

... eh, it's a different world, so ... it's a brief time to deal with the different world rules, different kingdom rules ― I'll just roll with it.


PoV: 'Clerk Jinny'.

That man was not the real Darren Hillyer, no matter how I examine him. I know it, to the depths of my existence; even he is aware of not being him, but playing him, maybe as a role.

How am I so sure? Because. The real one always looks at my form, all over me, then tries flirting with me even while Candra hangs from his arms or waits nearby ― then he pleads temporary insanity!

The true 'Darren Hillyer son of Corban the Mighty' ― last seen in this kingdom ― also has a scar on his cheek. And nothing shows on this man's face of a scar ― besides I can sense his true identity now; he's the one I want-

-but more analytically ― I need to analyze who he is, just to remain sure.

Human, male, the same height as Arthur King. The human part ― race cannot be faked so easy, in my senses; even if it were obfuscated, I would be able to see this detail. A male part ― well no clothing can obfuscate this detail; I even see a physiological detail of maleness within him. Height less likely to be faked; but in this body the height has not even been altered in the least bit. That's not to say, Arthur and Darren are all so different with heights, from before; they're a mere half micrometer difference but I see it.

Acting as Darren but knowing he's not ... leaves more psychological tags to those who know how to look for them. Then even with the magical aptitude ... Darren's profile is again the same as for Arthur's, with less than zero point zero one six percent variations ― not so much. Even if his aptitude alters or self balances within human lifetime ... in a lone day, it cannot change so swiftly. The skills are wholly the same too; same names, same levels, same tier of quality, same intellectual imperatives. Same.

So, the one who is 'playing' Darren Hillyer is in truth this Arthur who I am quite eager to hold. I can't go to Arthur/Darren, and I can't force him here if the current 'king' won't allow either one as himself. Bonner is arrogant enough to command Arthur held down, a knee to the back, while collared; but also schemes to offload his loser daughter out to the world. The heir prince is the one 'fly in the ointment', in the case; but his private faux pas could be revealed to embarrass him without leading to Arthur. I see all his faults.

Even a 'failed princess' is no pause in my plan, of Arthur and I. In all her private times of self touch and using the tongues of her maids to 'relax' ― Candra builds up some fantasy romance ideas which no partner could match what's in her mind. Chance to eliminate the princess ... approximate 82.56 percent-

Normally these castle grounds are busy during the day, even in the face of an empty treasury. It's a thing which I cannot deny, I'd boosted the attraction factor of people to come to this castle. I spent untold numbers of years just staying where this castle got built, watching over all people and objects here. I'm bound to this place ― I can't leave; while others ... come and go ... mostly go. So ... to keep the castle alive ― to keep me alive ― I need people, and activity.

The ancient script I found myself set in, is ... inescapable. But. I can see how to avert it ― by 'disconnecting' my link to this one place, and going along with the one I wish to follow. This Povrah family is proving to be not so great, by what I hear whispered from outside. A demon lord exists? And this king has its daughter?

-darling, Arthur dear ― can we please work together soon?

1