Final Economy Chart + (incomplete) army build: A small mistake I made + final list
1.1k 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First, good news! I can actually maintain the low value of the paychecks! This is because laborers are the ones who basically earned 1 silver a day, and most laborers were slaves who went to do part-time jobs! I forgot that because of slavery, the worth of labor was exceedingly low.

Shop-owners, traders, and professionals could earn around 100 silvers a month to even 500 silvers a month, depending on the profession. Naturally, they had higher taxes and ran the risk of getting robbed/mugged, and it was not a stable job since it was basically self-employment

Also, I made a few historical mistakes, as well as salary mistakes. So I will fix things now:

First, a small reminder: 16 coppers = 1 silver = $20. 400 copper = 25 silver = 1 gold = $500. 1 copper = $1.25

In the City guard:

Spoiler

The guards who chased Mog were not Praetorian guards. They were called the Vigiles. They were ex-slaves and slaves who wore yellow tunics and wielded wooden bucklers and held small hatchets or wooden clubs. They served as the peacekeepers and firemen. Historically, they were paid less than a day's worker, just with their food expenses covered, so in actuality around 9 coppers + bonuses for catching thieves or stopping fires. They have the power of a stronger F-rank warrior/rogue and at most a beginner E rank. They are only slightly better than armed rabble since their main task was to help put out fires and catch petty thieves(like mog).

The Praetorian guards were the emperor's personal army in the ancient city of Rome, and in the city of Lamaria, it is the same, receiving 2 silvers each day + some bonuses. I guess that in this work, they will all be at the standard level of a D/C-rank warrior, with some Centurian B-rank team leaders and A-Rank commanders, along with an S-Rank general. They comprise veteran legionnaires who got lucky and got selected. Naturally, Centurians would get a lot more pay, and generals even more pay. The upside, little risk, more pay than a legionnaire, and stable pay. The downside, far less than what an adventurer of the same rank would earn and little room for growth.

There was also a specialized police force that was like the modern SWATS, called the Cohortes Urbanae, that dealt with riots, sedition, and violent crimes, but their paycheck was similar to the praetorians, so I will ignore them for now. PS: they were also similarly powerful and armed.

[collapse]

 

In the Army:

Spoiler

Legionaries (privates), were the main force of the army. They were paid 20 silvers a month + bonuses + loot + 3,000 silvers when finishing a 25-year-service if they survive. Their duties entailed fighting barbarians in times of war, and in times of peace, build roads and fortresses. That's right, they were builders and war engineers. Fun, right? The more you know~. Upside: Room for growth, bonuses, and loot that could be worth A LOT, depending on how brave and lucky you are. Downsides: High-risk low-pay job, very long campaigns, lasting more than half your lifetime, risk of getting crippled, and of course, death. Fun. Their power level would fluctuate from early E-rank to the late D-rank. Once they hit C-rank, they will have room for promotion to the veteran guard, earning 60 silvers instead.

Legionnaire Centurians were the 80-man commanders of small companies. They were usually selected by showing exceptional skill, valor, and wits in battle, although some got there through connections. In any case, through whatever means, they were still veteran fighters who could trounce most newbies on a 1 on 1 fight. I give them the power of middle to early B-rank, with a paycheck of 300 silvers a month + bonuses + loot + 40,000 silvers when retiring.

Elite Legionnaire Centurians: My own fantasy creation of an elite force! Mwahahaha! Jokes aside, they are like elite B/ low-end A-rank adventurers serving the army with a VERY balanced paycheck of 1,000 silvers a month + bonuses + loot + 100,000 silvers when retiring. Their tasks would be to lead the army and fight against the experts/champions of the other side to the death, or conduct a massacre. A grizzly and risky job, but one that pays you extremely well. In a 10,000 man army, only 2-4 are employed. In times of peace, they also take turns as adventurers, hunting some high-rank monsters, so their actual pay is much higher than suggested.

The Legionnaire General: Finally, we arrive at the toughest, meanest, son-of-a-bitch in a fantasy army, the general, all except the all-mighty emperor and the secret demigod force, of course! Not only do they need to be at the standard of an average-to-peak A-rank adventurer, but they also need a sound and tactical mind, able to conjure advanced tactics for the army, so they can slaughter barbarians and not get slaughtered in turn. There is no shortcut to this job, you needed to prove yourself repeatedly, so they are all veterans of their own right. In terms of power, they can fight a powerful monster such as a young dragon. Paycheck: 2,500 silvers + bonuses + loot + 250,000 silvers when retiring. A general commands a 10,000 man army.

Naturally, this is a very rough draft, and there are other roles such as archers, cavalry, scouts, light infantry, monster trainers, auxiliary troops, a mage corps(Naturaly~), and whatever else.

[collapse]

 

Day-Pay Laborers:

Spoiler

Historically, in ancient Rome, a famous slave civilization, slaves were mainly used as cheap labor, which is why they were only paid around 1 silver a day. Farmwork, running the shop, mining, practicing simple medicine, and even tutoring the children of the rich. In history, slaves could free themselves by working in their time-off at side-jobs, slowly accumulating enough silver to free themselves through self-purchase. In this work, I will implement a sort of system where a slave could free himself under some conditions, or get released by their owner. The minimum wage is STILL 1 silver a day = $20. Figures.

And before you think that "Oh, isn't that more lucrative than a soldier?" The answer is a definite no. First, it was considered a demeaning and tough job. Second, it was an unstable job that could fire you AT-WILL, meaning you can become jobless after just one day of employment. Third, this is based on working all day. Some jobs need only a few hours at most, so the pay was lowered. A messenger might only make 15 coppers a month, for example.

[collapse]

 

Price of Goods:

Spoiler

So far, I have listed several things, so I will place them here for you to view:

  • A loaf of bread = 2 coppers.
  • Heavily Subsidized Public Bath entrance = 0.25 coppers.
  • Pampica toothpaste that lasts a month = 5 coppers.
  • 10 Miswak branches/ Bristle toothbrush = 1 copper.
  • Price of an average adult(above 17) male slave = 300 - 1000 silvers, depending on his worth, with the average joe being 500-600. Able-bodied or smart slaves held a higher price, while weak slaves were cheap and unwanted. (High mortality rate of kids drive the price down.).
  • Price of an adult(above 17) female slave = 2,000 - 6000 silvers. Ah... Sex... You know how it is. Female slaves were a legit alternative to adultery in Rome, and In Lamaria, it's the same, just worse. It's like purchasing a new couch. A beautiful and high-quality couch would cost more than a low-quality and bad-looking one, but their function was the same. Being fucked by their master/s and mostly housework with minor miscellaneous things. (And yes, no joking about the sex stuff, real shit right there.)
  • Price of a prized slave in an auction = from as low as 10,000 silvers to as high as a few million. If a slave was strong enough or popular enough, his worth would naturally be high. I gave an example where a gladiator was sold for around 1.3 million silvers = $26m. It's like buying a sports car, just one that isn't used to just brag to your friends about and has an actual use other than driving a bit faster, like fucking it and getting fucked by it. Half jokes aside, in the world of Aessonia, they could also be used as capable bodyguards if they are qualified enough.

There are also several things I still didn't list, but I will list now:

  • Half liter cup of Cheap wine = 1-5 coppers.
  • Half-liter cup of Top-shelf Fine wine = 30 coppers.
  • Price of a donkey = 125 silvers.
  • price of a cow = 100-120 silvers.
  • price of morgan land(2 acres) = 250 silvers.
  • Small farm = 25,000 silvers.
  • Price of rent for a 1-room apartment in an insula = 48-288 silvers. Largely depends on what floor and where it is based at. The lower the floor, the price is actually higher! I will remind you that it was ancient times, and modern conventions such as tap water didn't exist, or a bathroom, or a bath. The bathroom was shared, and many used a latrine pit. Also, it was hot in summer and cold in winter. The top floor was NOT FUN, PERIOD.
[collapse]

 

The actual cost of living:

Spoiler

Food: One pound of whole wheat bread is equal to 2 coppers, which should be equal to around $2.5, meaning a copper should be worth $1.25. An average adult human male would need to consume the equivalent of 4 pounds of whole bread to have the energy to work, meaning, $10 a day in only food. This means the basic cost of food for a 30-day month for the average worker is 8*30 = 240 copper = 15 silvers = $300. And this does not even include any luxuries!

Wine: Half a liter of cheap wine would cost 1-5 coppers for a half-liter cup, while expensive wine would cost up to 30 coppers, which would mean from around $2.5 a liter to a whole $75 a liter. Assuming that the average worker would also drink half a liter of cheap 2-copper wine per liter every day, he would need to pay in a 30-day month 1*30 = 30 coppers = 37.5$

Rent: In ancient times, real estate was a lot cheaper than nowadays, as well as the building cost. I guess around 48-288 silver rent for a 1-room apartment in an insula a year, with shared bathroom and living area, around 4-24 silver a month. I will assume that the cheapest single-room apartment in a bad area would cost about 6 silvers a month, which is $120. It could be less if he also lives together with two or three workers, but I will assume he is living alone or with his family.

Other necessities like clothing and hygiene products, should cost around 10-20 silvers a year, so around 20-30 coppers a month, meaning around $30?

Entertainment venues that include public baths, cheap prostitutes (around 8-16 copper for vaginal/oral sex for 20 minutes; PS: poor hygiene), and whatever else, around 2 silvers a month(?), meaning $40?

Taxes, which I assume were not that high for the poor city folk, around 8 copper a month, so around $10.

In summary, the price of living for the cheapest and the most frugal normal adult citizen without a family is around $540 = 27 silvers.

If someone lives an even MORE frugal life, he could survive on around 20-24 silvers I guess, which should be around his limit. And this doesn't even include the cost of a family!

Imagine, the average male needing to support and feed 5-6 mouths! That would amount to what? Around 100 silvers under the poorest conditions? You will need to send your wife and children to work as early as the age of 8-10 so that your family could even sustain itself!

In the end, many citizens needed to live off subsidies! This made the job of a Roman soldier, who was well-fed, well-clothed, and well-equipped, a highly sought-after job. Especially if you became a Centurian or a General. If you managed to survive 25 years of service, you got a lump sum of 3,000 silvers, which was an insane amount for the average peon.

[collapse]

Peace, mah brothers.

19