Chapter 40 – Borso Knows best!
549 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey guys! Just saying, but if you find any obvious error, please tell me. Cheers!

I soundly slept until lunchtime, when I heard a knock on the door, waking me up.

"Mog? It's me, Livia. I came to pick you up for lunch." - Livia's voice sounded behind the door.

"Coming!" - I replied as I struggled to my feet. I slept with my clothes on, so I didn't need to prepare anything as I opened the door.

Outside the door, I saw Livia standing. She gave me the sweetest smile she could muster, but it was obvious to me that she was faking it. Her eyes had a masked pity in them. If I hadn't read my status earlier, I would have probably been hurt by this, but I didn't hold it against her because I could tell she was trying her hardest to be nice to me.

"Hey, Mog. I heard what happened to you. Are you alright?" - She asked in genuine concern.

"Yes, I'll be fine." - I gave her a reassuring smile.

It will take me some time to nurture my talents again, but I believe it won't take too long.

Seeing my bright attitude, Livia looked relieved and said, "Alright, let's go eat before the food gets cold."

After nodding in agreement, I locked my door and slowly walked with Livia to the dining room.

"So how was training today?" - I asked.

"Painful. We had dueling today." - Livia said and showed me her hand. I could spot a few new scars on her.

"Ouch." - I couldn't help but cringe. Being cut up every few days must not be pleasant.

"You get used to it." - She said.

"So, what did you do after breakfast?" - I asked, trying to change the subject.

"I went to the study to read. The mistress is in the mages guild and doesn't need me there. Speaking of that, the Goblintide extermination team will set off tomorrow morning. Young master Aulus is joining them."

"He is joining them?!" - I asked in surprise.

"Yes. This expedition is considered very safe, so great families use it as an experience for the younger generation to hone themselves."

"I see... Is sir Agrippa also joining?"

"No, he is guarding the mansion. Drusus and Lars will guard the young master." - Livia answered.

We talked a bit more as we arrived at the dining room.

In the dining room, Faevyre, Borso, Erno, Cispia, and Mazoga were already sitting down at the table, waiting for the meat.

When they saw me coming in, they had different reactions.

Erno calmly nodded at me and turned back to his thoughts.

Cispia and Faevyre looked at me and smiled quietly.

Mazoga, on the other hand, had a different reaction.

"Mog, sweet child! Are you alright?!" - She said as she got up and quickly walked to me.

"I am alright... Umph!" - As I was about to reply, Mazoga suddenly hugged me into her ample bosom.

"There, there, child, it's going to be ok. Let Momma Mazoga nurse you back to shape..." - She said as she held my head firmly between her large and soft breasts. It honestly felt nice and cozy.

However, before she could continue, Faevyre's voice sounded.

"Mazoga, you pedophile, let go of him!"

"Hey! Stop calling me a pedophile! I just want to nurse him..." - Mazoga pouted.

"Yeah, and do this and that to him while you are at it. Now hands off!" - Faevyre pointed and said.

"Ok! I yield!" - Mazoga said as she let go of me.

After she let go of me, Faevyre said, "Mog, don't worry. Whatever potion the mistress gave you, I am sure the side effects won't be permanent."

"Yeah, I'm alright. Thank you for your concern." - I smiled back.

Seeing me not too worried, the others in the room looked a bit more relieved.

Just as I was about to go and sit together with Livia and Cispia, Borso unexpectedly stopped me.

"Mog, sit next to Borso. Borso knows the best cure." - The menacing man said as he patted the seat next to him.

It was the first time he took the initiative to invite me to sit next to him, so I didn't hesitate as I shakily went to the seat next to him and sat down.

"Dear? What are you doing?" - Faevyre asked from the side.

"You see Honey. Borso once had this. Borso knows best." - Borso said confidently with his arms crossed.

Faevyre and the others looked skeptical, but they didn't say anything. I guess that if he does anything outrageous, they will stop him.

I sat next to the mountain of a man and waited for the food.

While I was waiting, I asked Borso in curiosity, "Borso, what is the cure you are talking about." - I asked.

"Eating a lot!" - Borso said confidently.

"..." - Everyone including me stared at him speechlessly.

"Borso has good intentions, don't hurt his feelings..." - I repeated in my mind.

For this guy, I was ready to gorge myself a bit.

Soon, servants brought food from the kitchen and put it on the table. Today's main dish was sausages again. A lot of them. Double the amount from last time.

"Why are there so many sausages on the table?" - I asked, a bad premonition hitting me.

"You eat a lot, you get better! Asked Thrakkare to make more for you!" - Borso said with an honest smile.

"... Borso, you are a good guy, but are you trying to get me killed?" - I asked in my mind, almost crying.

However, looking at the expectant Borso, I could only swallow my grievances and try my best.

"Thanks, Borso. I'll eat as much as I can." - I forced a smile.

"Hm, hm. Eat. Good." - He said as he placed a dozen sausages on my plate.

Looking at the mountain of meat on my plate, I braced myself, "Here goes nothing."

And so, I started eating.

The first two sausages were no problem for me. When I reached the third sausage, I started feeling full. At the fourth sausage, I was full. I felt like puking.

"I don't think I can eat another sausage..." - I thought.

"Kid, if you can't eat anymore, just say it." - Faevyre said from the side.

I looked at Borso and saw his expectant look. He even slowed down his own monstrous eating pace to look over me from time to time.

"Ugh... Is this what it feels like to die by good intentions?" - I asked myself as I stared at the eight large sausages still on my plate.

"Think Mog, think... Oh, right. Why don't I test it now?" - I remembered the skill I just got.

 "Devour - Digestion!" - I shouted in my mind.

The next moment, I felt a movement in my stomach, as if it came to life. The feeling of being stuffed was slowly reduced by the minute. At the same time, I felt like something was added to me, but I wasn't sure what.

"In any case, now I can eat more!"

I didn't hesitate to start eating the sausages again.

Fifth, sixth, seventh...

I continued eating at a steady pace.

"Wow! Look at him go!" - Faevyre said in astonishment.

"Yeah! I only ever saw Borso eat that much!" - Livia added.

"Amazing!" - Mazoga exclaimed.

"Is he going to be okay?" - Cispia asked worriedly.

"How logic-defying..." - Erno mumbled.

Soon, I finished the entire plate of sausages, but my stomach was still working tirelessly to digest the food I ate. Fearing that I will become hungry again, I willed the devouring to stop, and it stopped with my stomach still half-full.

"Burp* Thanks for the food!" - I said, although I felt like I could go for more.

"Holy shit, he actually finished it all!" - Faevyre exclaimed.

"Wow!" - Livia, Cispia, and Mazoga said in astonishment.

"Is this a side effect of the potion?" - Erno mumbled.

Everyone in the room looked at me weirdly except for Borso, who had a smug expression on his frightening face.

"See? Borso knows best!"

While everyone was looking at me in surprise, I was checking what was going on with my body. While I was eating, Digestion: sorting was triggered. What I got from it was called "Grade 1 Regular Energy.". It didn't detect anything special, so it digested all the food that I ate, turning it all into energy. All of it was stored in Digestion: storage.

It felt like a separate space connected to my body, and I could use the energy stored there. I knew how to use it on instinct.

The first application is to nourish me, providing me with sustenance. That means that if I don't have food to eat or water to drink, I can consume energy instead. Very convenient if I find myself without food or water for long periods.

The second application is for replenishment and healing. It can restore stamina and heal me at an increased rate. My body's ability to convert energy and the grade of that energy will determine how quickly I recover or heal.1Sounds broken but isn't that broken if adjusted.

The third application is to nourish talent seeds. However, Regular Energy can only nourish regular talents. What's more, its efficiency is the lowest, and Grade 1 is the lowest of the low.2I think this is fair.

"Well, I don't care if it has low efficiency as long as I can go back to normal again." - I thought.

"Nourish Advanced Warrior Talent and Intermediate Rogue Talent." - I ordered.

The next moment, I felt that the energy inside the storage started to trickle away. However, the rate that it was trickling away was painfully slow. It felt like it would take at least half a day for the energy to run out.3Told you. No instant gains.

"Seems like it isn't instantaneous after all. I wonder how much it can restore in a day. That said, I feel like the storage is only a quarter full right now. I can probably store another 30 sausages worth of energy."

Even though I can eat more, I naturally wouldn't. Although the amount of food I ate just now was ridiculous for a kid my size, I can attribute it as a side-effect of the potion, but if I eat more, it would be an exaggeration.

"Thanks, Borso. I already feel better. I think I will eat more from now on." - I said to the big man next to me.

"Mm, mm. Eat well, get better. Borso knows best." - Borso said with a proud expression.

"Don't stroke his ego, kid. He can get way over his head when you do." - Faevyre said from the side. 

"Hmph! What do you know? Borso knows best!" - Borso said adamantly.

"HAH? I think I misheard you. Can you repeat that please, Dear?" - Faevyre squinted her eyes and glared at Borso.

The big and menacing man immediately shriveled, "N-No, honey... Honey is right. Borso is sorry."

"That's what I like to hear." - Faevyre smiled again.

"Well, we all know who is the dominant one in this relationship, but Borso knows best." - I secretly snickered.

I think I balanced things correctly. Our young protagonist can't power-level through eating regular foods. Also, the recovery part won't be overpowered, so it won't be nonsensical.

16