Chapter 25: Training Day 1: Evening in the Library
237 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had so much going through my head as I entered the library. I wanted to research. I wanted to learn about this world. They certainly didn’t use the Dewey Decimal system. So how would they organize their knowledge? Would it look similar to Earth’s modern system or to the older models or would it be completely foreign to me? There was just no way of knowing.

One thing I didn’t expect was Alea sitting at one of the tables, piles of books stretched out around her. Her back was turned to me, but her red hair and distinctive clothing was a dead giveaway.

‘Perhaps I should come back later,’ I thought.

I really didn’t want to risk an encounter.

“I will be right with you,” a person said from behind the pile of books. “This should be the last of the texts you requested your highness. Would you like any help going through the information?”

Her name was Bethany and I had met her the evening before. She introduced herself as an assistant to the high mage, but I kind of got the impression she was more like the overseer of the library.

“I may need some assistance with a few of the texts,” Alea admitted. “But I can get started on my own. Thank you for your help. Please carry on with your duties.”

“You are very welcome. And remember I will be around should you need anything… Now then, how may I help you?”

Bethany, or Beth as she preferred to be called, made her way from the princess to the main door. I had definitely lost my opportunity to leave. Perhaps Perceval would see me early? No, he had to be busy too.

“Sir Aborisey suggested I familiarize myself with the library,” I said quietly. If Alea was burying herself in books, perhaps I could go unnoticed. Get lost in the maze of bookcases and various faces.

“Ah I see,” Beth smiled. “Do you have any particular subject you would like to read about? Let’s see…what would a hero be most interested in? Perhaps monsterology or demonology? Hmm…”

“No,” I said before she went too far into thought. “While I do hope to look up those topics and learn much more about your world. Right now I would like to start by just familiarizing myself with your library’s order.”

“Oh I see. Then would you like a tour? I would be delighted to show a hero around the library.”

I thanked her for her kind offer. I was still hoping to avoid drawing the princess’ attention, but it would definitely be better to have someone actually show me around the library. It was after all where I would like to spend my free time. If I ever received any that is.

Bethany explained the library was organized from oldest to newest. With the text catalog being the best method to finding any specific text. Oh my. What a headache that must be.

“Is there any classification by topic?” I asked.

“By topic. No, but the titles in the catalog will often have a short description of the books. And if you have any specific topic you are interested in you could come to me. I will help you locate the appropriate texts.”

I wanted to explain the Dewey decimal system but didn’t want to appear high and mighty. Perhaps I could slip it into my conversation with Perceval. Or maybe this system worked better for them…somehow.

Bethany showed me to the enormous text catalogs. Large books filled with handwritten titles and notes. Wow. Just reading through the catalog could take me an eternity. How could they find anything?

“Do you have any encyclopedias?”

 She tilted her head. Giving me a quizzical look which told me all I needed to know. No encyclopedias. Perhaps that’s something else I could discuss with Sir Belethier.

Well if that was all there was to their system, then there really wasn’t much to do to familiarize myself with the library. I supposed I would just pick a topic and get started until my meeting time.

“Could you direct me to a book on swordsmanship and martial arts?” I asked hopeful. Perhaps I could use my memory and researching traits to better my training with Adekin.

“Of course. There are several treatises dealing with combat training. You are interested in swordsmanship? Then I would suggest Sir Richarde Ofield’s treatise on two-handed sword combat. It is a favorite amongst new knights looking to prove themselves.”

“Yes that would be excellent. Thank you.”

She walked me to an old book which had clearly been checked out several times. Inside I saw two things of note. The first was the ornately colored images depicting various poses and attack patterns. The second was that there were symbols covering the pages. It was at that moment that I recalled my conversation with Ulla.

“Oh no,” I sighed loudly. “I can’t read this.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean my ability is [Interpretation], but I can’t interpret the written word.”

I nearly fell into despair. If I couldn’t read, then this library of information was completely useless to me. So much information at my fingertips yet it might as well just be scribbles on a page.

I felt like I might cry.

“That is unfortunate indeed,” Bethany said with pity.

Maybe Perceval or the high advisor would add reading to my training. But that was just another thing to push me behind Bella’s growth. If I couldn’t read then the main benefits of my traits were negated.

“I could read this book to you if you would like,” Bethany offered.

“I…no thank you,” I said dejected.

Bethany left me to my sorrow. I pulled book after book hoping one of the texts would be something I could recognize. There were several with elaborate images, which was helpful, but the text remained gibberish to me.

“Elliot?” I heard Sir Belethier’s voice while I sat looking at a book of what I assumed to be spear techniques. “If you’re already here why not begin our session?”

Time was up. I shelved the book and made my way to what would likely be hours of talking. Likely about seismology and tectonics again. I just felt so dejected.

Why…why couldn’t Ulla give me the ability to read their language too?

9