Chapter 26: The Girl with the Cat Ears
250 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was just as I predicted. I spent hours discussing Earth’s studies with Perceval. I could barely get in a question about Praecantio and he would bring the conversation around to Earth. It felt like I was being pumped for information.

“Could you teach me to read your language’s text?” I asked after describing how crystals formed in molecular bonds.

“Yes, yes. in time. Tell me more about this ‘molecule.’ How do you divide objects to find it? Are there sharpened blades or special hammers in your world?”

Ugh.. I could understand his curiosity. After all, I too was curious about another world. But our conversation seemed to be incredibly one-sided.

We spoke well past the need for candlelight. As Bethany came in to light the candles. She began by lighting the candles by touching them to a lit candle. Then she did something else. She touched her index fingers together before reaching over to the flame. It was something I noticed her do last night too. Her fingers glowed slightly. I had assumed it was from putting her fingers next to the flame, but I wondered if she were using some kind of magic.

The candles seemed to be much brighter than I would have expected. Maybe she cast magic which brightened them. Some kind of light-magic?

I asked Perceval if it was alright to ask. After all I didn’t want to be rude and they did tell me traits and abilities are not typically discussed.

“Oh that?” he said. “Beth has a light magic affinity. She was using a simple skill known as 【enchanted light】. The stronger your affinity and the more mana you put into the skill, the brighter the light’s magnification will be.”

“Is that a common magic?” I asked. “Could I learn that?”

“You can certainly practice it, but likely not,” he sighed. “You would first need to acquire some level of light affinity. If you are truly without affinities, then you would be starting from scratch. Here let me show you…”

Perceval took out and lit a spare candle. He reached out his hands. He performed the same motion as Beth, and touched the flame. Two things occurred. The flame got marginally brighter and Perceval burnt his finger slightly.

“Ouch…” he said, soothing his index finger with his mouth. “Now I focused on other magic sources, but I have some small amount of light-based mana simply from living in Acone. Enough that has accumulated over years to perform the skill, but even then it is a very dull light.”

I see, then me trying would be pointless.

“Don’t be discouraged though. Your magical affinities will naturally grow over time. Although there are also techniques which can be used to shorten the cultivation of magical affinities. I have used such techniques to strengthen my affinities and learn more powerful magic skills and spells. With these techniques I have grown all of my elemental affinities to a fairly high point.”

He sounded like he was bragging a bit, but if these techniques helped me catch up to Bella, then they would be worth it and the seemingly endless science lessons.

By the time I left the study I was once again drained. I hadn’t made much progress on my knowledge of Praecantio, but I think I had a promise that Perceval would teach me the cultivation of mana and eventually how to read and write their language. It was something.

The walk back all I could think of was learning magic. Learning to read their language. And the fact that I hadn’t even begun either.

I looked up to the strange sky. It was cloudy so there were no stars or moons tonight, but there was a warm breeze which was quite pleasant. That is it was pleasant enough. I decided to take a lap around the bailey to clear my head. I was still frustrated about the limitations of my [Interpretation] ability. It was called [Interpretation]. It should be able to fully interpret other languages.

Perhaps if I was somehow able to improve the ability. Do abilities improve? Could I practice the ability somehow or cultivate it like I could magical affinities?

I made it to the far end of the bailey, a servant’s dormitory on the end of the palace, when I felt a sprinkle of rain.

I made it to the overhang just as the rain began to fall. A downpour. I would be soaked by the time I returned to the guest house.

“Are you taking shelter from the rain or just enjoying the shower?” A voice said softly.

I nearly jumped out of my skin. I hadn’t noticed anyone there. I really did need to work on my awareness.

The voice came from a black-haired servant girl. I had actually met her at the banquet. Although I can’t give my new traits credit this time. I would have remembered her even without my blessed traits.

The girl stood slightly shorter than me. She had sharp features and long black hair. But her most distinguishing features were a pair of black cat ears atop her head. This girl wasn’t human. At least not fully.

Her mana condensed in an odd way which made her stand out, but it was also a shade darker than the mana of the other species which I suppose may have made it more difficult to see her in the dark.

“I…I’m sorry you startled me,” I said. “I’m taking shelter. I was taking a walk when the rain started. What about you?”

“I was out enjoying the night too,” she said sweetly. “I love the nighttime here in Acone. It is so peaceful yet so active.”

Active? Does she mean the guards? I really hadn’t seen anyone else. Perhaps she had a hobby of watching people.

“Here in Acone? Are you not from Acone either?”

“No, I am from the Kaj’Ajasian Empire. It is a land on the other side of Picham. Far, but not nearly as far as you have traveled.”

So she knew who I was.

“I suppose not. Sir Aborisey told me about your homeland although I’ve only had a brief introduction.”

Her ears perked up a bit, “would you like to know more about Kaj’Ajasia? I would be happy to teach you.”

That was tempting. After all I could only learn by hearing things it seems.

I thanked her and she began describing everything about her hometown. She described the plants and animals, the trade and what everyday life was like. She described a lovely place in a very factual way.

“Why did you leave?” I asked.

“Oh…well, my father pulled some strings to get me a job at the palace here in Acone. It was a great opportunity to learn new things about a new land.”

Those must have been some pretty important strings he pulled. But she described a rural lifestyle. Perhaps the father was some noble in disguise or an ex adventurer.

“I can understand that desire.” I said as the rain began to settle down. “I love to learn as well.”

“Yes I saw you in the library earlier.”

“You did?” I sighed.

“Yes,” she smiled. “I’ve spent a lot of time in the royal library. It is one of the best perks to working here. Access to all the stories, all the knowledge. It is amazing don’t you think?”

“Yes,” I said weakly. “At least it would be. Unfortunately the ability Ulla gave me to speak your language didn’t include the ability to read it. It is quite unfortunate.”

“You can’t…I can read! Would you like me to teach you? I had to learn when I learned to speak the language of the Acone people so I would be a good teacher. Although no you are probably learning from Sir Belethier aren’t you.”

“No. I mean not yet. I mean…really! You’ll teach me to read?”

“I would be honored to help the hero,” she said smiling brightly. “Although I am only a beginner with the written word. I would be delighted to teach you what I know.”

That was fantastic. But when would I fit it into my schedule. Let’s see I had about an hour’s time between lessons with Sir Aborisey and Sir Belthier. Assuming he continued to let me go at the same time so I could ‘research’ in the library.

We discussed our respective schedules and made a plan to meet before and after my meetings with Perceval. She said she was a night person so she didn’t mind staying up. Which was fantastic. It cut even further into my sleep, but at least I would be able to read.

She was a curious person just like me so in return, I offered to tell her all about Earth.

Our plans set, I thanked her again and made my way through the now light sprinkling of rain. I made it about fifteen feet before I turned back.

“I’m Elliot by the way.”

“Fiena”

12