Chapter 50: Preparing for a Duel
160 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I soon found myself pacing back and forth in my room. Somehow I had made a big enough mistake to get Alea’s fiancé mad at me. Enough so that he had challenged me to a duel. Was this really over my asking her about mana depletion? It would have to be a really big secret if that were the case.

No, there had to be something…the rumors. The rumors about me and the girls. That must have been it. ‘A matter of decency’ he had said. If he thought I was pursuing his fiancé, then that might explain things. Then what if I just explained things. Maybe I could avoid this whole duel thing.

No given how upset he was he would never believe me. I could get Alea to explain that there was nothing going on…yes that might work. Then all I needed to do was go see Alea and let her know what was going on. She could certainly get through to him.

I left my room in a haste and headed for the palace. There I was met by the royal guards.

“Sir Hero,” they said in unison. “What business do you have in the palace?”

Odd. They had never stopped me like this before.

I explained that I needed to see Princess Alea.

The two guards glanced toward each other before the female guard said. “We can have a servant check to see if she is available.”

She said it with a bit of disdain in her voice which bothered me. These rumors were getting out of hand.

I waited outside with the guards as the servant went to check on the princess. It was more than a little uncomfortable. I wanted to ask what the specifics of the rumors were. I wanted to know what I was being accused of doing…and with whom. How far had my supposed debauchery spread?

The servant soon returned. “I am sorry, but her highness is not available at this time, would you like for me to relay a message?”

Not available. What could she possibly be doing? And, more importantly, should I leave a message with the servant.

I decided to throw caution to the wind. “Please let her know that Sir Wichard Belethier has challenged me to a duel. That I believe the cause is a misunderstanding between the relationship of Princess Alea and I.”

“Relationship?” the servant repeated.

“Friendship,” I clarified. Hoping to cut off more rumors.

The servant agreed to relay my message as soon as the princess became available.

Hopefully that would be before the duel, but that depended on what the princess was doing.

I walked toward the training area. Guards gave me sideways looks as they trained. The sparring arena was empty. ‘What kind of duel would this be?’ I wondered. ‘If he was a mage knight would this be a duel of magic? If so then I was completely outmatched. How would I even defend myself?’

“Elliot!” I heard a familiar voice call from across the training yard.

Adekin made his way over to me. He was sweating from training. “What in the world did you do?” he asked.

Then he had heard.

He brought me over to the side before continuing. “Why in the world would you be pursuing the princess? Did you not know she was betrothed? I mean it isn’t official yet, but still there is an arranged marriage.”

I looked at Adekin with pleading eyes. “I didn’t know she was betrothed and I wasn’t pursuing her romantically. We are becoming friends that’s all I swear. Maybe not even that. Training partners.”

On the verge of breaking down, and desperate to have someone believe me, I felt Adekin’s metal gauntlet on my shoulder. “I believe you. Although even just from your training I can see how rumors would start. Especially with that date you took her on today.”

“It wasn’t a – ” I began.

“A joke. But certainly a person as smart as you can see how it looks.”

Then why would Adekin believe me?

“You’re wondering why I believe you, yes?”

I nodded.

“I have been on the receiving end of the palace rumors. I have learned to pay them heed, and keep a fair amount of skepticism towards their validity.”

That was exactly what I needed to hear.

“Do you know how to duel?” he asked.

“Is it like sparring?”

Removing his hand from my shoulder Adekin gave an ehh answer. “It may be similar, but there are also many differences. Chief among them being the use of sharpened weapons, directed magic and the increased likelihood of serious injury.”

“What am I going to do?” I whispered. “you know I can’t use magic.”

“You will need to use a sword and shield,” he said. “Although if I am being honest it may not make that much of a difference. Sir Belethier is a professional mage knight. He is a skilled warrior and known for his use of magic. He is expected to one day replace his grandfather as high mage.”

This was not much of a pep talk.

“Is there any way I can win?”

Adekin simply shook his head. “Your goal should be to avoid injury not securing victory.”

GULP.

“The real problem,” he said. “Is what comes after.”

“How so,”

“After you lose this duel,” he said confidently, “you will likely lose your reputation as well as your status.”

Perceval had said as much, but what did that actually mean? Would I lose the privilege of training with the high mage and high advisor, be conscripted as a regular soldier, be kicked out of the palace? What?

“What exactly do you think will happen?” I asked.

“That will depend on the terms of the duel,” Adekin said. “But I imagine you will have your title of hero removed and become a regular member of the Acone army. Perhaps you will be positioned elsewhere to avoid contact with the princess.”

That sounded really harsh. Just for a perceived relationship?

Well I suppose it was with a member of the royal family. So outright banishment might have been on the table if I didn’t have the title of ‘hero.’

“Can you give me some pointers maybe?” I asked Adekin.

“No,” he responded flatly. “I will not be seen aiding you in this type of duel. Even talking to you right now may harm my reputation. I suggest you return to the guest house until the time arrives.”

“What if I just forfeit?” I asked.

Adekin was taken aback. “Forfeit? Then you will certainly lose everything your title now gives you. The best you can do is fight and lose honorably.”

That was not the answer I was looking for.

“I wish I hadn’t accepted this duel,” I muttered.

“Then you would have lost all your status immediately,” Adekin sighed. “At least this way you have the chance to show some integrity.”

7