Chapter 59: A Busy Morning
151 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I dreamed of monsters and adventurers. Of fighting alongside Alea, Bella, and Fiena. Of battling monstrosities, exploring the countryside and discovering the cultural diversity of Praecantio.

Then, as it seemed we were unstoppable, a horde of flying demons overtook the land. We fought a great battle, but were unable to strike back against the flying creatures. My friends were captured, dragged away in nets by the monstrous demons and transformed into monsters themselves.

I dreamed that I became an oni and terrorized Kaland until a group of skilled warriors from the high council stepped up to put me down.

It was as I was struck by Perceval, who used an expanse of ice spears, similar to Sir Belethier’s but much greater in scale, that I awoke in a cold sweat.

As I sat in my bed, I thought about my dream and what it meant, if anything. Perhaps it was just the result of anxiety. Stress over the duel and the fallout Sir Aborisey guaranteed me would follow. Concern over Princess Laeanna’s apparent state.

Fiena made it sound like Laeanna was in some kind of coma. Although she described it as severe mana depletion. That certainly fit with Alea’s questions about mana depletion and with my thoughts that there was some royal cover up. But I couldn’t figure out why the royal family wouldn’t just describe Laeanna as being ill. Why would there be a cover up?

A Praecantian week had passed since Bella and I left Earth and I had gone from hero to false hero to fallen hero. My presence had endangered Bella and possibly resulted in the princess falling into a coma. It was a rollercoaster of a week, but I had somehow made it. Not unscathed mind you, but at least the week was over.

‘What will this week hold?’ I asked myself as I got out of bed.

My poor dreams had left me anxious. Thoughts of what might go wrong in this next week consumed me. From simple reprimand to virtual banishment from Kaland. Those were the extremes Sir Aborisey had described to me. A wide range of uncertainty.

I was awake early enough that I could probably have woken Bella, but instead ruminated on what the future would hold for me. Perhaps there was a way I could avoid the fallout. Maybe if Alea and I explained to the King that there really wasn’t anything going on. No I was already a false hero to their nation, had beaten her fiancé in a duel and turned the high mage against me. There was likely nothing I could say. Could I do anything to help Laeanna? That might smooth things over.

Unfortunately, I knew so little about mana. I could see it, but that was just about it. I had no way to actually help the princess.

My thoughts bounced between Princess Alea and Princess Laeanna. I deliberated, doubted and reanalyzed. Yet there was very little I could do for either situation.

A knock at the door told me my time to ruminate was up. Bella’s presence signaled the beginning of my day.

“Good morning Elliot,” she said. “Guess who I trained with yesterday.”

She was training with the first prince, the high mage, the high advisor,  and the high physician. Who else could top that? Unless there were some high-level adventures or…maybe the king? No, probably not.

“I don’t know. Who?” I asked.

“Your friend,” she replied with a sly smile, “Princess Alea.”

That was surprising. Not that Alea was still training or even that she would train with her brother, but that she would choose to train with Bella. A person she had actually drawn a blade towards. That must have been awkward for the both of them.

“Really?” I said shocked. “That is surprising. Did she um…”

“Say anything about you?” Bella teased.

I wasn’t a fan of the implications she was putting into that statement, but yes that is what I wanted to know. Specifically did she mention what kind of trouble I was going to be in.

“Actually she did,” Bella continued. “We had a very interesting conversation. But that is between the two of us. What I can say is that she is a great deal nicer than I would have imagined.”

“How so?”

“Well she did draw her blade and strike at me when we first met,” she frowned. “But the first thing Alea did was give a formal apology and confirm that she was mostly frustrated. She confirmed that she didn’t actually try to strike me with the sword. So it wasn’t my headpiece or the prince which stopped her sword it was her. It seemed like a sincere apology too. She even offered compensation for her actions.”

That is actually a huge relief. It was something I have been thinking about all week. Every day I’ve seen Alea I’ve wondered just how far she had tried to go with that sword strike, but wasn’t willing to ask.

It was still no excuse for pointing a blade at someone, but at least she didn’t have the intention of killing her.

“Alea said she knew I had tried to save her sister and that knowing that was very meaningful to her,” Bella continued. “Although I can’t imagine what she must be going through…losing a sister like that.”

Well she had and hadn’t. Laeanna was apparently still alive. Although in a mana depleted state. Actually I wonder if Bella’s ability had actually saved Laeanna. Perhaps she did partially heal her. Then might more of her ability’s applications revive her further?

I quickly debated saying something to Bella, but my promise with Fiena got in my way. I trusted Bella, but really didn’t want to put anyone in an awkward position either.

“So how did your training go?” I asked her, trying to progress my thoughts from Princess Laeanna. “I’ve found Princess Alea to be a very good training partner.”

“I bet you have,” she teased some more. “But yes, she was a great training partner. We worked on weapon training. Specifically polearms. She is really skilled with a spear.”

Really? All we had ever trained was the sword.

“I had no idea,” I said. “I know she is skilled with the sword, but I haven’t yet worked with her with polearms.”

I wondered if that was what we would have been working on the day we went to the city. It was a weapons training day after all.

“So were you working on the war fork?” I asked.

“Yes. Specifically using physical mana to boost my movements while I used the weapon,” she explained. “She also helped me with the physical mana practice stances and skills. She really is knowledgeable when it comes to skills.”

That was true. Alea had offered to instruct me on physical mana enhancement skills when we first began practicing. I turned her down as I didn’t have an affinity for it, but maybe that was a mistake. I could always learn the skills and use them once I developed the affinity further.

“Could you demonstrate the skills you learned?” I asked. “I really think I should start learning more skills…even if I won’t be able to use them.”

Just knowing the range of skills might help me. After all, I had completely failed at my goal to research skills for Bella to utilize. Maybe this way I could work out new skills without Perceval’s help.

Bella listed the enhancement skills Alea had given her. Skills to boost stamina, arm strength, agility, leg strength, and dexterity.

I started to wonder about mana boosting effects. Specifically how mana might boost something like stamina. Did the magic supplement energy reserves in the body, did it lessen the energy required for exertion, was there a mechanism for cellular respiration being supported? On what level did the physical mana actually work, macroscopic, microscopic or a combination of both?

I began to wonder just what could be boosted and to what extent. Could a person increase their oxygen intake through physical magic? Could they improve synaptic functions? What about digestion? I had so many questions.

After Bella’s demonstrations there was very little time remaining. She used it primarily to tease me about her training with Alea and that perhaps I was a bit jealous of her. Which I wasn’t.

I wondered if Bella really believed the rumors about us or if she were really jealous or something. In any case all I could do was continue to express the truth.

I nearly asked Bella to pass a message to Alea asking for her to meet me so we could work out how to handle this situation. But I was afraid that would be misinterpreted. Sir Aborisey had warned me to stay away from the princess for the time being. Let her approach me not the other way around. So I would heed his warning.

 

“A Group sparring, …” Adekin called.

I figured today would be another day of partnerless training. When I saw a group of knights approaching me I knew I was wrong.

“Sir Hero,” one of the knights spoke. “Would you do me the honor of sparring with me today?”

The small horde of knights was clearly eager to challenge me after my sparring with the princess and duel with Sir Belethier. What choice did I have? Could I say no?

I looked to Adekin hoping he might step in. He averted his eyes! I was on my own. Let’s see two, four,…eight knights were in the group. Would I have to fight them all or were they just this one knight’s posse?

“Of course,” I replied as we moved to the arena. All I could do was hope he used mana in his movements. Using my ability to see mana was the only way I could defeat a real knight.

The knight took a high guard, charging with full force. Luckily it was easy to read but that didn’t mean I could block it. I noted him muttering to himself as his sword began to glow with the tell-tale sign of tool magic. I raised my sword for a static block, but his mana-infused strike was far too much for my strength to combat.

I was separated from my sword in an instant. I should not have tried a static block. That was my mistake.

What if I lost this sparring match? Beating the princess and grandson to the high mage, but losing to a regular knight. How would that look? All I could imagine was that it would be another slight against the nobility.

Great now I had to win.

Luckily the blade hadn’t touched me. I wasn’t out of the match yet. I scrambled to collect my blade to the amusement of several knights including my opponent.

Fighting this knight, who used only slight physical enhancement mana was going to be very difficult.

But if he wasn’t striking with physical enhancement mana, why did the blade strike so hard? The glow was obviously tool magic of some kind, but what kind I didn’t know. If only I could hear what he had muttered.

He took the high guard once more. Was he going to perform the same maneuver? That seemed reckless.

But at least I would get another chance at hearing his chant.

I took a defensive stance hoping to parry or dodge his next blow.

I noted the circulation of mana into his blade. This was it. ‘Listen carefully,’ I told myself.

It was quiet, but I could just make out the words ‘increase weight,’ spoken in the broken languages.

Increase weight. That’s it. No wonder the sword hit with such force. It was literally increasing the force of the blade’s fall. That must be why he keeps taking the same position. To maximize the effects of a downward swing. Then was this the knight’s specialty?

Given the increase his sword would have for any downward strikes, the best I could do was avoid. So that’s what I did.

I fainted another static block. Transitioning into a sidestep dodge. Knocking his sword as much as I could. Not quite a parry, but close enough. With my left elbow I moved to strike his side. I wasn’t that strong, but a blow was a blow. And it might be enough.

With the weight of his strike the knight could not easily recover from the attack. The mass of his two-handed blade coupled with the increased weight meant he has committed to the attack’s follow-through.

After a blow with my elbow, which admittedly didn’t do much through the knight’s padded armor, I spun. Bringing my lighter and faster blade around with the bounce it received from striking his weapon. I don’t know how it looked, but it felt pretty cool.

In a flash my blade was at his back.

I had won.

Phew.

“Alright,” a knight from the crowd called, “I’m next.”

4