17. Interaction Types
119 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One crucial part of working with the Corrupted was that all avenues needed to be explored. G-Z7 was an amalgamation of all Sites, meaning that data on Corrupted would be limited moving forward.

Hence why the Essence of Light was seen as an anomaly.

The duty of a Facility orientated Site was to identify Corrupted delivered from Accumulation Sites; Corrupted that had next to nothing attached to their names aside from perhaps a single report or document. One that detailed all the horrifying ways it had slaughtered those that tried to keep it locked up.

What made a General Site so special was that not only would Corrupted be received straight from Accumulation Sites, but also Corrupted directly from the wild. Or at least what they were told.

Papilia did not stop her experiments that day. Her hand scribbled diligently on a notepad as she instructed her Core Team to initiate various interactions with 01-00, the ‘Essence of Light’. She sought to cover all eleven interaction types with the bizarre entity.

It appeared no different to that of an apple, sometimes shifting into a vibrant star on the monitors. Aisyle silently monitored the screens with sealed eyes, as though she could see the entire facility itself rather than what was portrayed through the monitors.

She then quickly flickered through the Atelier’s Manual.

5fRm40r.png

How do you influence certain outcomes?

 

There are currently 11 known types of stimuli that influence the Corrupted, summarized as an Interaction Type. Unfortunately, it is all a matter of trial and error to understand which of the 11 does the Corrupted react the strongest to.

All manners of actions from breathing to combat is considered an Interaction.

An interaction will then have two outcomes. A positive, or a negative which will also largely influence the behaviour of a Corrupted.

5fRm40r.png

What are the Interaction Types?

 

Interaction Types are also called Attributes. Each Corrupted has a specific Attribute that causes them to react to certain Interaction Types.

The key to understanding the Corrupted is to understand the very nature of their Attribute. If you can figure out their Attribute ahead of time, then finding their liked and disliked Interaction Type will be made easier.

But be warned, the Corrupted are a nightmarish, enigmatic existence.

Always experiment. Use trial and error. Never rely on successful precedents.

5fRm40r.png

“A rare treasure trove of manifested cognitive nightmares.” Aisyle spoke from behind Papilia, startling her as she felt her gaze drill into the back of her head.

And yet through the reflection of the crystal plaque also set aside on the benchtop she leaned against, Aisyle’s attention had not moved an inch from the monitors.

“What do you believe is the root of the Corrupted? Can a heart lie within something born from the mere mind?”

“Yes, because that’s exactly what we’re dealing with.” Papilia replied with a textbook answer, humoring the Overseer. “We can’t muse on things we don’t understand. We have to uncover them. That’s the whole reason why this Atelier exists.”

“Precisely. But I also disagree with you, Navigator. It is a waste to forfeit muses. They allow us to construct our thoughts into walls. Those walls allow our thoughts to echo back to us, so that we can make sense of it.” She spoke cryptically as always, as though she knew the answer to her own questions but just wanted to hear someone else’s take on it.

Papilia readjusted her glasses as Aisyle inched closer to her. She loomed over the Papilia who leaned over the steel benchtop, her hair trickling over the girl’s shoulders. A hand then moved down past her cheeks, pointing at something on the Manual.

It was the picture of a white dove.

“A heart does not lie within them. They are abstract entities. Yet they seek something equally abstract. The Essence of Light possesses our equivalent of likes and dislikes. They are mindless, but they desire.”

“… what are you trying to tell me?”

Aisyle’s hand pointing at the white dove then turned into a claw, like her hand had become a birdcage.

“A tragedy.” She didn’t explain further, simply moving her fingers to each Interaction Type written on the Manual as she inhaled Papilia’s scent. “Righteousness.”

 

Righteousness

5YW38jd.png

 

“The concept of justice. A moral compass whether upheld or lost in a sea of misery.”

 

Religion

GJiF208.png

 

“Of vehement belief.”

 

Meaning

HbfFGor.png

 

“The desire to understand.”

 

Vigor

SnUDsfw.png

 

“The intimacy of reality.”

 

Trepidation

0cJEYOm.png

 

“What gnaws equally at the mind and the heart.”

 

Obsession

YoDoNJ8.png

 

“The trial of releasing shackles or obtaining them.”

 

Ignorance

vbJjvlC.png

 

“Bliss in whatever form we can hope for.”

 

Nihilism

T2IZj5g.png

 

“Inevitable destruction.”

 

Sorrow

idlsYfy.png

 

“The reprise of mournful choirs.”

 

Aspiration

64eLoEE.png

 

“… and of the heart.”

She stopped on Aspiration. There was one more remaining, but she dared not drag a finger onto it.

“Identity. This was the one no one could really figure out. Largely because of how rare Corrupted of this Attribute are.” Papilia answered, tapping on the passage.

 

Identity

Wtqi25e.png

 

“Indeed.” Aisyle hummed ominously as the Site groaned. “Identity. Some may say amalgamation.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. Amalgamation is the collection of things unless the definition changed? Or… wait, unless it’s the opposite.” Papilia mused, placing a hand on her chin. “Like things being split apart rather than coming together.”

Aisyle’s mouth curled into an unlikely smile.

“I adore your unique perspective.”

“W-woah. Hey, you really should smile more.” Papilia complemented as the woman simply walked away, ignoring her comment. “I meant that!”

“It’s the first day. One of many. I am keenly looking forward to how this Site evolves. What entities we will be welcoming soon, as well as new faces who will face the fears of countless. Don’t get too attached to them, dear Navigator.”

Metal patters quickly approached the woman. Papilia rapidly joined her as she looked up at the monitor, cradling her many notes riddled with incoherent scribbles born from her passion.

“I’m not going to send them to their deaths either. Part of the reason why I’m so happy to be in control is so I can change things. Positive outcomes, Overseer…” She trailed off, smacking her face with the notes before she looked up at Aisyle, holding out a hand. “No, Aisyle! Let’s work for the betterment of everyone!

Aisyle looked down at her, her gaze softening. She casually took the tiny hand into hers. Her passion was contagious, and Aisyle could feel the heat emanating from the flames in her eyes.

“Becoming impassioned in the moment. Good. Emotions drive our worlds.”

Then, Aisyle looked over at the monitor, smiling broadly this time.

And Papilia could have sworn she caught a glimpse of gold behind those closed eyelids.

“It has taken the form of a bird. How curious.”


4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.pngbdggVco.pngj2Y9yS2.png

6