156 The Undead Scourge Part One
7.1k 81 193
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Saturdays / weekends are always busy, so I'm posting extra early today because I'll be busy later. If you missed it, I posted 2 chapters yesterday, so go read 155 before this one if you haven't already.

“What just happened?” Anthony asked. “He just disappeared with that woman!”

“I can't hear anything they're saying.” Ksenya said. “Hold on, why can I understand you? You're not from where I live.”

“Huh? What are you talking about? You're speaking Italian. Of course I'm from where you live.”

Farrah looked at the two of them and was sure that something really weird was going on. She could clearly hear English coming out of their mouths and neither of them were from Canada like she was. Her thoughts and eyes went to the spot where the very handsome man had stood.

She didn't believe him and had given an address that was in the United States and a fake phone number. She also didn't know why he knew it was fake. His boast about not wanting her like that was a bit insulting as well, especially now that he had disappeared with one of the clerics.

It could have been me. Farrah thought and took a deep breath and let it out. No, I'm not that kind of girl.

If her middle ages history class was right, the man named Damon had just been wearing what she thought was full plate heavy armor that was intricately decorated. She was just starting to wonder where he could have gotten such a thing when suddenly she could hear the clerics again and he appeared in front of them.

“She's resting now. I might have to visit her again before going back home.” Damon said to Lady Matricia. That promise surprised Farrah, because that could be months away.

How could he plan for that far in the future? I don't even know what I'm doing later today, let alone months from now. Farrah thought.

“What do you mean?” Lady Matricia asked.

“If she wakes up within the next few minutes and explains, she can.” Damon said and walked over to Farrah. “Was that proof enough that I'm not after your body?”

Farrah did her best to not glare at him; but, some of it came through and he sighed.

“Great, now you're angry that it wasn't you.” Damon said, to her surprise. “Look, never mind. I was being shortsighted by offering to help you so quickly.”

Farrah knew then that she had made a mistake. “Look, I'm sure that...”

“Save it.” Damon said and took out a large wooden bench. “I don't want an explanation any more than you want my unasked for help.”

Farrah became slightly angry at his quick dismissal of her, then she and the other two heroes watched as Damon added three straps like seat belts to the bench. He added cushions to the bottom and back of the bench and he also took out straps that looked like they were used to harness a horse to a cart and attached the ends to the sides of the bench.

“Let's go. I'm running out of time.” Damon said, then he suddenly turned around to look at the clerics. “Does anyone know a mana restoration spell? I'm running low.”

One of the men raised his hand.

“Great!” Damon said and waved him forward. “Cast it when I say so.”

The man waited for several moments and then Damon nodded to him. Nothing seemed to happen, according to Farrah and the other heroes. The clerics on the other hand, all took in sharp breaths.

“Yeah, that's got it.” Damon said with a happy smile. “How many times can you cast it?”

“Three before I'm exhausted.” The man said, a bit proudly.

“You put extra points into your mana?” Damon asked and he nodded. “Well done. Can you cast it once more for me?”

“Of course, Divine Chosen.” The man said and waited for the signal, then cast it again.

Damon held out ten sheets of paper. “Thank you. You've saved me so much time.”

“Thank you, Divine Chosen.” The man took the pages reverently and stepped back.

“Can we help in any way?” The other clerics offered.

“Tell me the spells you can cast and not the divine given ones.” Damon said and confused Farrah and the others by handing ten sheets of paper to three of the clerics. “Don't fret. You were all willing to help, so here.” He said and handed the others five sheets of paper, even Lady Matricia. “Thank you all.”

“No, thank you.” Lady Matricia said. “If there's anything else we can do, please let us know.”

“I've got everything I need, thank you. I'll have this problem solved before you know it.” Damon said.

“Excellent.” Lady Matricia said, quite happy. “If you will come this way, we can show you to your rooms and we'll start scheduling your training regime.”

“I've got that handled.” Damon said and walked over to the heroes and stored the bench. “Let's get going.”

“Hey, we can't leave! We're all only level one!” Anthony said.

“Only for about the next few minutes.” Damon said and Farrah could see the laughter in his eyes.

“Are you really going to train us?” Farrah asked.

“I'll be forcing you all to level up very quickly. You don't even have to do anything except come along.”

“I don't think so.” Ksenya said. “We just met and already you've...”

“Nothing I've done should have insulted you.” Damon countered before she could say anything. “Unless you're like Farrah and become upset when you think a man is flirting with you and then become upset when he isn't.”

“Hey, that's not what happened!” Farrah spat at him.

“Look, we're wasting time. Let's go.” Damon said and started to walk away.

None of the three heroes followed him and he sighed.

“Fine. The hard way it is.” Damon said and waved his hand over them and the heroes fell unconscious.

“What are you doing?” Lady Matricia asked him. “They are Divine Chosen, too!”

“I know. I have to bring them along, according to Divine Law.” Damon said and took out the wooden bench and put the three knocked out heroes into it. “It's too bad the flight spell can't be cast on objects.”

“They don't have a mind to control it.” Jonah said.

“That makes sense.” Damon said and very carefully lifted the bench from behind to keep it balanced. “Where's the quickest way outside?”

“I'll lead you.” Jonah pointed in a different direction than their personal rooms. “I'm sent to different places with messages a lot.”

“Because you're the only flyer?” Damon asked and he nodded.

They went down a short hallway and the double doors there opened onto a large balcony.

“This is perfect.” Damon said and equipped his armor in the same way as he did before, as if he was building it onto his body, then he strapped on the horse harness that used to be Sugarlick's around his waist. “I'll be back as soon as I can.”

Jonah stood there and watched the Divine Chosen as he rose up into the air with the bench suspended beneath him that carried the other three heroes. His curiosity at the contraption became shock when he realized that Damon's armor wasn't stopping him from using magic. He watched, agog, as the Divine Chosen turned away and took off as if he was shot from a cannon and the bench swung up to essentially be dragged behind him.

When they completely disappeared from his perception, Jonah went back inside to talk to the head cleric about what he just saw and found that they were already in the middle of a discussion.

“I should have reacted to his mithril armor.” One of the women said, sadly.

“You've seen the metal in person before, so it wasn't surprising to see it formed into armor.” One of the men said. “Although, why a Holy Cleric would degrade his magic to that extent for protection is beyond me.”

“It didn't degrade his magic.” Jonah said and the ten people turned to look at him. “At least, not that I could tell. He just flew away at full speed while wearing it.”

“What?” Lady Matricia looked shocked. “How could he have full armor plate on and not have it affect his magic?!?”

“I bet you're regretting not taking his offer, too.” The woman to express that sentiment said.

“No, I...” Lady Matricia stopped talking before she partially lied. If she could have learned the secret of using heavy armor and magic together, she was willing to share herself to get it. The more powerful she was, the more she could devote herself to keeping the world safe. It was her life's ambition, after all.

“I think someone should check on Wanja.” One of the men said and started to move off towards the personal rooms.

“I'll do that.” Lady Matricia quickly spat and the man let out a sad sigh.

The others exchanged looks and knew that he wasn't only going to check on her to see if she was okay. Lady Matricia knew her people well and knew their proclivities, habits, and dangers. She also knew when to step in to stop negative activities. She walked towards the personal rooms and the door opened before she could reach it.

Wanja stood there and looked around the room. “He... he left.” She said, her voice as sad as the man that wanted to check on her.

“Are you all right?” Lady Matricia asked.

“I'm more than all right. I'm just very sad that Damon has left on his months long quest already.” Wanja said and leaned against the door frame. Her clothing was hastily donned and her hair was an absolute mess. “I've never had... that was the most amazing...” She shook her head. “Did he say anything?”

“He said you were resting and that he might stop in to see you before he leaves to go home.” Lady Matricia said.

Wanja beamed a smile at them and let out a sigh. “Wonderful.” She whispered. “I can't wait to feel him again. His love is... his wonderful love...”

“I think something is wrong with her.” One of the men said. “Lady Matricia, perhaps you can...”

Lady Matricia nodded and walked over to her. She held a hand out to her and whispered several prayers. Wanja glowed for a few seconds and then the glow faded. There was another short glow, then two more. Wanja stood there and didn't block the examination at all.

“You're pregnant!” Lady Matricia gasped.

Wanja nodded. “Halfway through the hour we spent together, I told him of my family's plight. I am the only child and no one wanted to marry me.”

“Wait, what did you say?” Lady Matricia asked.

“You know I've been ostracized for my beliefs...” Wanja started to say.

“No, no.” Lady Matricia interrupted. “You spent an hour together?”

Wanja nodded. “It was the most wonderful time that I never thought I would ever get to experience.” She said with a satisfied sigh. “He was so kind and so gentle. I've never been treated like I was precious before. When he changed his technique near the end and made me feel...”

“That's enough. We don't have to hear all about it.” Lady Matricia said.

“Yes, we do!” The other women exclaimed and rushed over.

“Tell us all about it!” One of them said and took Wanja's hand. “I'm so envious and I need to know!”

Wanja laughed and nodded, then started to tell them all about her sexual encounter with a Divine Chosen.

By the time she was done, even Lady Matricia was filled with envy and desperately wanted to experience the same thing, even knowing she could possibly get pregnant from it. She had never heard of someone becoming pregnant immediately and wondered how it had happened.

It couldn't possibly have been because he was a Divine Chosen, could it? Lady Matricia asked herself. She thought about praying for guidance, then realized that asking god for help with sex was not a good use of his time. That was the least important thing that he could possibly help with, considering the state that the world was in.

193