Chapter 225: The End of An Era.
74 4 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was always the plan. How this would always end. I ignored Vega’s cries, well, not that I could do much. It took all I had to keep myself together and preserve my strength as it was. I had absorbed the origin of evil, or whatever the source of power the Majin had used, meaning I was now the ultimate evil, or whatever of the universe.

Every second, a monstrous amount of energy was being pumped into me, trying to change me alter, make me into something I wasn’t. It didn’t help that my soul was fractured. Countless small cracks and fissures along its gem surface made it all too easy for that energy to worm its way in. Slowly corrupting that brilliant gem into something ugly and tarnished.

My only hope, in a sense was absorbing Vega. The bond tugging us, was now a leash. Instinctively, my body now corrupted, simply charged for her, seeking to complete itself. To become whole. It was animalistic, lacking any real tactics or planning.

Just a wild beast swinging around. Even then, Vega persisted, she fled and unleashed blasts, and attacks, not aimed to harm me, no. Every attack was meant to slow me down or buy time for her to try and reach out to me.

I knew, that wouldn’t happen. So, I did what I could. Holding my ground, keeping my soul together. Watching all of this occur. Knowing exactly how this would end. The spirits, the Saiyans I had collected from Limbo quietly watched on. Knowing exactly what I knew. Knowing exactly what was going to happen, and not a single one of them stopped me or questioned me. If anything, they helped me. Helped me hold my soul together, helped me persist for just a moment longer.

Now, I just needed to wait…

 

It was all going wrong. Why was this happening? No matter how I cried out, no matter what I did. It wasn’t reaching her. Rettas, my big sister was now trying to kill me. Absorb me, and I knew why. I could tell immediately why, it was because, we had to be whole. If she didn’t, if she didn’t kill me soon, her soul would shatter. The evil energy collecting around her would transform her, making her into something like the Majin.

Just the thought of that, terrified me. What was I supposed to do? I was using Ultra Instinct, but already I could feel my body beginning to fail. I couldn’t keep this up, nor could she. If I kept running, one of us would fail. And yet, there was little else I could do.

Perhaps I could simply throw myself at Rettas, let her kill me, but… I remembered what she said when we fought Asura. And what she always repeated. She would never wish to kill me. Even if it meant her own survival. So, why then was she attacking me? Couldn’t she properly resist? Couldn’t she break through once more?

Is this what she meant? Is this really how this is supposed to end? I know she doesn’t want to kill me, but… do I really know that? Wouldn’t it be better if I simply let myself be killed?

The very thought ran counter to everything she taught me, and not only that… Since meeting up with her fleet, her family… they all had come to accept me. Inviting me to events. Hanging out with me. Even Aspa and Bailey, both called themselves my parents. For the first time, I had a family, but did they really love me? Was it just an illusion, a way to make up for what Rettas was going to do to me?

If so, it was cruel. I wished she hadn’t because, even now, I found myself wavering. Dying for her, should have been easy. Throwing myself forward, letting her absorb me, should have been the answer. It should have been, but even now. Even now I was desperately doing my best to keep her at bay. To prolong the inevitable.

My body would fail, or, Rettas would die. Quite possibly, we could both die at the same time, completely undoing everything. I was, damned if I did nothing. Damned if I did anything. Because the simple truth was, underneath it all, after all this time, after meeting all these people, forming all those bonds…

I did not want to die.

That very thought, that very realization changed something. Minor, insignificant, but I already knew what I had to do. At the very least, I knew my big sister wouldn’t want me to simply throw in the towel. To simply quit. No. Instead, she would want me to fight back, and so, fight back I would.

I gathered up my energy, for the first time, not to hold her at bay, or stop her from approaching, no. It was to attack her. To fight for my life. I gathered everything I could into my next attack, ki focusing on my limb. My body, instincts going all in to aid me. Already, I was planning for the next move, the move after that, and so on. Giving my all, so as not to disgrace my older sister, to do my best to keep my life.

Even when, I knew I wouldn’t be able to win. Even then, I had to give my all.

I reared back, aiming my fist. Preparing for the moment. Rettas, my big sister charged me without care. I watched and waited. She did not stop, simply rushing towards me. There was more to this, I was certain. No, I wouldn’t be able to do any serious damage with this punch, even if it did hit.

I was certain. So, I punched. The blow carried all my intent, it crashed into Rettas her ki rose to meet the challenge, except, when the clashing energies hit their climax. A deadlock formed. All at once, her energy faded. A brief clarity came to her eyes. A smile on her lips.

My eyes widened, my fist extended, I couldn’t recall my energy, I had no control. I fought against my instinct, fought against everything, trying to reign it in. To stop what was happening.

I failed. My fist punched into her chest. Obliterating her heart, ripping through her torso. I stared, even as she leaned forward. I trembled. Unable to comprehend what I was seeing. She wrapped her arms around my neck, her voice hoarse.

“I knew, you could do it…” And, just like that. She slumped over. For a moment, I stared. She couldn’t be dead, right? This was a joke, right? Then her body began to fade, transforming into countless motes of light that flooded into me body filling me with power, and memories. I could almost hear her voice.

She gave me a grin that told me she wasn’t sorry about what happened, completely and totally accepting of her fate.

“So, to start with… I’m not sorry.” Her memories seemed to say. “But, I couldn’t live like this. Even if I killed you and fixed my soul, it wouldn’t fix the bigger overlying issue. See, I had a bit of a plan, or rather, I knew this was going to happen for some time. Just never thought I’d have to do something like this.

See, I could never live my life knowing that I had another one waiting for me, see the link the Director made, protected me from losing myself, but it always prevented me from finding myself. So, I first had to cut the cord, so to speak. Next, I needed to fully separate my soul from the soul of my original owner. Though, I doubt she would mind. If anything, I suppose she would accept this decision, because it was mine. She, we, were cool like that.

Not only that, but… the very idea of running an empire sounds cool, but frankly? A real pain. I mean, sure I made a big deal of it, but only because I knew that was the best way to rope people in. At least, for the Majin. I’m sure Baron realized what I was going to do to an extent, which only goes to show how amazing that guy was.

Anyway, I didn’t want to deal with that, and after this whole thing? I guarantee you they’d all jump up to crown me queen or empress or some shit. Well, it's not my problem anymore. Instead, I suppose it is your problem. Though, it does make things easier for you.

People will be less likely to rebel, as you will be seen as the protector of order. People will support you and you can properly build a dynasty or whatever… Though, you may not like that, or having to kill me and honestly? I don’t really care. If you don’t want to do it, just don’t. You can call this my legacy for you, an inheritance, an apology for taking your body in the first place.

After all, I did owe you one anyway, right little sis?

Anyway, having you kill me was the best way this could have gone. Sure, I could have killed myself, but… Really, I wasn’t confident you would do well after all… You really do need to be a little more selfish sometimes little sis. Though, you did kill me, so… I suppose you can be a little selfish.”

Her smile, seeing her smile hurt. “No matter what though, I’m proud of you little sis, and know, that I do love you…”

And just like that it ended. I saw how she set things up. How she talked with Aspa and Bailey, Helmsman and Secretary. How she had prepared for her eventual end. Building the foundations a road, a bridge to the future. She had built that passage with the bones and blood of those who stood on her path. On the remains of the civilizations, she had destroyed by happenstance.

And most importantly of all, in the final stretch, she had used herself as material. Her own flesh and blood to pave the last stone. The bridge finished. The road done. Before her now stood the path to a future only she could have created. A future that could lead anywhere, anywhere I chose.

I looked at my hands. Not even her blood remaining on it. I stared and shook. I clenched them, my nails piercing my palms. I cried and roared. Tears running down my face. I felt something change. A different transformation, something else, I didn’t know… I didn’t care.

The only thing on my mind was, why did she have to be so selfish? Why couldn’t she have talked it out, or done anything else? Why did I have to kill her? Why?

And most importantly, despite everything as I cried and roared… What I hated most, was that I couldn’t hate her for it. It was definitely selfish. It had hurt me, scarred me in a way I would likely never recover from and yet…

It was so like her to do this. It was just like her. Even as I cried, my sobs turned into laughter. Up to the point where I couldn’t breathe, my stomach hurting. My cheeks sore.

It was so stupid. So dumb…

I calmed down… I forced myself up, wiping away the tears. I had no idea what the future held, but… I swore… if I ever saw her again, I would give her the beating of a lifetime.

And so, I left. Tearing out of the hole in the fabric of creation. I looked out over the stilled battlefield. Everyone just standing about staring up at me in confusion and worry. I had a job to do, a final task. But this time, I wasn’t doing it because someone told me to, or because I should, but because I wanted to.

I wanted to build a better future, I wanted to show my big sister, if she ever saw me, or heard of my empire, that I could do more then she could have ever hoped. That if I ever saw her, I could proclaim, that I had surpassed her.

Because, for the first time, I wasn’t satisfied with simply being by her side. I wanted to be more. I wanted her to look up at me, not the other way around. And so, I raised my hand.

“THE MAJIN IS DEAD!” I declared, the people cheered. Everyone cheered and shouted, even as they wondered what happened, but… that would be for another time, for now… I looked over to the spawn of the Majin, aimless unsure, having been corralled and held down. No longer putting up a fight.

For now, she had an empire to build…

 

 

While Vega was having her own awakening. Making her own future. Finally realizing what it means to be a true Saiyan, having seen it and experienced it herself. Elsewhere, a figure awakened. A woman…

 

My head hurt… Pounded like someone was jackhammering away at it. I groaned and slumped up, a piece of paper stuck to my face, where was I anyway? I didn’t really know. I stretched, wincing as I felt a crick in my back. I looked around, blinking away the sleep. Taking in my surroundings while I ran my dry tongue along my dry mouth.

I wasn’t wearing anything special. Just some sweats, just some general casual wear. My hair was a mess, and… I blinked, right, shit… I had work tonight. I got up, pulling off the paper stuck to my cheek and glanced at it…

A character sheet? I stared at it for a moment… right, that weirdo The Director had given it to me. Last night we were going over something. He was looking for ideas for a story and wanted my help. The sheet was pretty basic, going into the basic ideas for a cool character.

Rettas, a Saiyan female, obviously. I didn’t know if he was into tabletop role playing games or something, but he made a pretty detailed world. Not that I remember much of it. Not that it mattered anyway. I likely wasn’t going to see him again anyway. Though… looking at the sheet, I considered.

It felt familiar somehow. Not just that, but… I felt different. I didn’t know why. I glanced around, my head still pounding. My rundown apartment still looked rundown. My mouth still dry… Not getting an answer, I went ahead and showered and changed, drinking some water and preparing for the day. I didn’t look different in the mirror at all. I wasn’t that different, but something felt different?

Once more I looked over my apartment, and I thought… Maybe I should clean this place up a bit? Not just that, but… Maybe I should finally pay a visit to my father's grave? I never could work up the courage too… I always felt…

Huh… Normally, just thinking about him puts me in a bad mood, but now? Now I feel like, it's not really a problem? I don’t remember much of last night, I’d drunk a little too much. But, had I talked with him about my family? My issues?

Maybe he was a really good psychiatrist? He better not send me a bill in the mail… I checked my phone, right work… I double checked myself and stepped out, hesitating at the final moment. I glanced over my apartment, eyes catching on that character sheet.

I cocked my head and considered. It felt silly, stupid really, but… “Thanks…” I said, and left… not knowing why I said it, especially to a piece of paper. But… hey. It definitely made me feel better. Funny that…

And so, it ended… Feeling strangely accomplished she lived out her days, nothing special really happening, well, nothing overtly special…

But… was that really the end?

Vega made an empire, it didn’t take long. Not with the assistance of so many powerful people, with Admin and the collective consciousness aiding the formation of the empire to create a new society a new future. Slowly, the universe was recovering.

While that was happening, trouble was brewing. A figure stood atop a tower, a man, with squid-like features stood tall. Scars covering their body. A missing arm and eye. A jagged and worn spear at their side. Before them stood an empty throne a fading body. A bell rang out heralding the end of an era.

An oath would be kept. So, they swore.

 

Elsewhere, people fought against the newly formed government, rebels forming left and right. Machines, remnants of the Machine God that Vega and Rettas had slain stirred. Sensing the defeat of the Majin.

Devi, the new Demon Queen faced new threats to her position. Forcing her to divert attention to just keeping control, especially with the Majin dead and countless demons pouring out of the woodwork to invade the Mortal Realm as was right.

Otherworld was slowly repaired and fixed, with The Seer at the helm of the new check in system. With the aid of the Angel and Vega with her new powers re-establishing the cycle of reincarnation.

Elsewhere, The High Priest looked to the heavens above. A frown on their face. Even Zenos, the future and present both stopped to look. Something was coming. Something unusual, unfamiliar.

Ever since the Tournament of Power, and that wish that had been made returning the old universes back, they had thought the trouble was only just beginning and yet… A new universe was coming into being. A universe that shouldn’t have existed, didn’t exist.

Both Zenos stared above and came to the same conclusion… To wait and see, and at worst, send Goku to check it out. After all, it could be fun…

 

In the midst of this brewing chaos, another event was taking place. Gathered on a ruined world, once known as earth. Prominent figures had gathered together for a summit.

“The Majin has died.” One of them said, simply stating what they all already knew. “Which means, it is time.” And like so, they all gathered. Hands outstretched and ancient magic, long prepped for this day. For humanity knew, the Majin would be felled at some point or another, and now was the time for them to strike back.

Given time, the Majin would be reborn naturally. But… The ritual they accomplished had a single purpose. Expedite their revival and bind them. Only, the ritual was not so simple. For, it was a ritual that must be fed with sacrifice.

Each figure standing around in the circle, with hands outstretched, had grim looks on their faces. One particular figure stood out. Eyes of steel, like a drawn blade. And as one, sigils were marked on the backs of their hands.

Only… would they summon the Majin? Or… something else?

End of Part 1 and Book 8...

 

 

Author Note! Postscript!

I'll be honest, this last arc kicked my ass... I managed to keep a healthy two-week chapter buffer, up until the big fight on Elysium, the capital world of RON. At that point, I was barely a day or two ahead. It was hard to keep writing, especially when my mind kept wondering to the next project I want to write and plotting out other stories.

I have an idea of what I want to do for part 2, but I want to wait until Dragon Ball Super ends so that I can see what Akira Toriyama has planned for more transformations and what he will do with the Universe 13-18. If not, and a few years pass with nothing happening, I'll probably butcher together something using Anime War plot mixed with whatever I can scrounge together. I didn't want to start the story in Dragon Ball Z because it would limit my characters growth and how far they would go...

Also, the way this end is perfectly fitting for Rettas. It was what she wanted to do, freeing herself of her chains and making her own decision for herself like so. In another way, though cruel, it teaches her sister a valuable lesson. Which she will use to make her own future. This was hinted at a few times, but Rettas would not allow herself to survive Vega. She simple wouldn't. Not with how much she owes her.

Also, this kind of ending is a restart of the cycle, so to speak. No longer does Rettas have a second life, so to speak. The original soul that made up Rettas is free and clear to live their life. Burdens released. Even without the memories of what Rettas had done, she feels the same emotions Rettas had felt in that moment and up to that point. Allowing her to move past her problems and live out her life.

Lastly, the last few scenes set the stage for part 2. Old and new enemies coming back. And, the Squidivators make a showing. Thus, perpetuating the cycle, allowing for a proper start to a so-called sequel. Likely, when I start Part 2, it would start with a full breakdown of what happened to the Squidivators while Rettas was gone, culminating in their invasion of the Universe.

Now... Onto the important part... I wrote this story for free. I'm not getting paid for this. Doesn't mean I expect much of anything. Personally, I would rate this story a 3/5. If I touched up the first 30 chapters, maybe I could bump this up to a 4/5... Give me a few years and I might go back and read this, and die of cringe damage, who knows. Point being, please rate or review this story! If you haven't rated or reviewed, please do so, if you have, please update them! Detailed reviews and honest ratings, even if they hurt my body and soul, allow me to grow. So, please do it. Act as if this was a paid product and not just some weirdo writing for no reason.

And... Thank you! Thank you for making this far! For reading my story! For commenting and being with me up to this point. Thank you, future readers who may be reading this, after bingeing the story in a single sitting or in small bursts! Thank you, everyone, including those people that commented when I first started this story and gave me the courage!

And finally, thank you! Even those people that didn't comment or review, those lurkers that don't have accounts, but I just know are reading this story! You may not be on the metrics, but I just know you exist!

Hopefully you all enjoyed this story and the many more I plan to write in the future! Thank You! And I hope to see you all again!

As a reminder, this is a fanfic utilizing elements of the Dragon Ball series, please support the official release of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super, or any other related media and a final thank you to Akira Toriyama for creating such a wonderful series!

1