Prologue (His Past) – 4. I Will Risk My Life to Protect My Kingdom
2.6k 4 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After four days of travel, Angel arrived at Springwell City at dusk. Springwell City is one of Asteria trading cities with beautiful natural scenery. It's located on Southwest Asteria near Southern border.

Since it's close to Kingdom of Zephyrus and Kingdom of Euphorion, the city usually very lively with so many foreign merchants and traders, even at night. But now, the city looks quiet, only some people were seen walking in a hurry to return to their homes.

Realized the situation is worse than he expected, he spurred his horse straight to the city hall.

Shortly, he saw a big mansion with iron fences surround it. He swung the reins of his horse around his hand to slow down as the mansion drew near.

Two guards approached him in front of the mansion's gate, blocking his way.
"Halt! The city hall is closed, you can come back tomorrow! " 

"I'm Prince Angelus Raizel Reinheart. I was sent by the king to deal with the monster." he answered.

The guards looked surprised and bowed.
"Please forgive our rudeness, Your Highness."

Because of his hair color, some people often mistook his identity. But he already used to this.
"It's fine, open the gate." he said casually.

They gave him a quick bow and rang the bell in front of the gate, to inform his arrival. Then they opened the gate and stepped aside.

"Thank you." he said as he moved forward.

He got off from his horse and gave the reins to a guard in front of the city hall's enterence. A man in white suit came out in hurry to greeted him. He bowed.
"Good evening, Your Highness. I'm Gerald, mayor's assistant. Welcome to Springwell City."

Angel nodded slightly to replied his greeting.

"My apologize for our unpreparedness. We only receive a short notice about your arrival." Gerald added.

"I'll cut the chase, call mayor and chief in charge to meet me in the meeting room."

Gerald gestured to a guard beside him to carry out his order. The guard bowed and left.
"I'll accompany you to the meeting room." he said as he gave him a gesture to entered.

Angel walked to the meeting room, accompanied by Gerald.

They entered a large room with a long table with some chairs lined up on the side.
"I'll call the servants to make you some tea. Is anything there you need before I'm leaving?" Gerald said.

He turned his gaze toward Gerald.
"Rather than a tea, can you give me some information about the monster incident?"

"About that-"

Before Gerald finished his sentence, a guard came in a rush.
"My apologize, Your Highness. Mayor and chief in charge can't meet you. Right now, the monster have attacked the South gate, they already left to overcome it." he said breathlessly.

"What?!" Gerald said in shock.

"Take me there!" Angel said as he followed the guard.

*

*

The situation was very chaotic when he arrived. Many people ran for their lives while the mayor was leading the evacuation process ensuring no one was left behind. On top of the wall's gate, the chief led the archers while the others tried to defend city gate that was almost destroyed.

He climbed to the top of the gate to check the situation. He could see a Nether Buffalo raging surrounded by a number of swordsmen outside the gate. 

"Are you chief in charge here?" he said as he approached a man in military uniform with an iron badge on his collar, a lieutenant's badge.

He bowed.
"Yes, Your Highness. My name is Helias, my apologize for not being able to meet you earlier."

"Listen to me! Withdraw your troops now, their sacrifice will be in vain. Command all archers to focus their arrows on the monster's eyes. Once you see my signal, stop the attack. I will deal with him myself." As soon as he finished his order, he turned around and left in a hurry.

"You can't face it alone, Your Highness! That monster is very dangerous!" said Lieutenant Helias in panic.

"There's no time! Do as I say!" Angel shouted while he continue to run down the stairs.

He exited through a small door beside the main gate, as he expected the monster's attention was diverted by arrows. He approached it while hiding between trees near the gate. When he felt close enough, he quickly pulled out his sword and raised his hand, ordering the archers to stopped their attack.

The monster noticed his presence and turned his gaze to him. Angel dashed toward it as fast as he could. The monster attacked him with its horns, he dodged and slide down to its stomach, the only part that wasn't covered with scales. He swung his sword with one slash, its stomach was torn.

The monster groaned loudly, its blood soaking his body, then it was staggered, Angel quickly rolled his body to avoid the monster's body falling on him. 

The monster collapsed. But its tail could still move berserk and destroy everything around it indicating it was still alive. Angel stood up, he approached it while keep avoiding its tail and pierced its neck.  Its tail fell limp instantly, this time the monster was really dead.

Everyone fell silent...

Angel was still standing beside the monster's body with panting breath. His actions were really reckless, if the calculation was just a little off, he was the one who die.

A voice from the gate's wall breaking the silence.
"We won! The monster is dead!" Followed by applause and cheers of others.

He breathed a sigh of relief and turned his face towards the city's gate which was filled with happy faces triumphant. As he watched their happy faces, a satisfied smile started to develop on his lips.

The city gate opened, Lieutenant Helias and his troops came out to greet him.
"Congratulation, Your Highness. You have conquered it," he said with a happy smile.

He sheathed his sword and approached Lieutenant Helias.
"Burn the carcass as soon as possible, its blood will lure the other monsters." then he pointed to the gate that was about to collapse in front of him.
"Close this gate for a while until they fix it. For the report, you can submit it to your leader. You don't need to report it to me. And one more thing... thank you for your good work. " he said as he patting Lieutenant Helias on the shoulder several times.

Lieutenant Helias smiled broadly after heard his words.
"It's my duty, Your Highness." 

Angel replied him with a slight nod then he glanced toward the gate and noticed his uncle's spy was hiding there. He sighed quietly .

"Uncle... How much longer do you have to doubt me? "

Glossary

Nether Buffalo is bull-shaped monster that five times bigger than an ordinary bull, its horns are long and sharp, its stocky legs are equipped with terrible long claws, its tail is long and thorny, its body covered in thick black scales makes it difficult to defeat.

46