Prologue (His Past) – 8. Another Prince of Asteria?
2.3k 1 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rose was breathing heavily, her heart pounding. Next to her, the man who had saved her kept watching that monster's every movement from behind the leaves. They did manage to find a hiding place but that doesn't mean they are safe.

The monster suddenly turned towards them and walked closer. She could feel her breathing getting heavier and her body trembled as the monster approached them closer. Close enough until she could see its ugly face and sharp teeth clearly through the leaves, make her almost screaming.

He covered her mouth with his left hand, while his right hand gripped his sword tightly preparing to attack. His eyes still watching that monster's movements.

Long enough that monster kept pacing in front of their hiding place before finally giving up and walking away. He immediately release his hand. Finally Rose could breathe a sigh of relief.

"Miss, can you let go of me?" he whispered.

She just realized she had been hugging his waist unconsciously.
"Forgive me, " she said as she released her arms.

She raised her head so she could see him better. He has dark blue hair, cold face, sharp eyes, tall, well built and about the same age as her. His cold face gave her impression that he's not a friendly person and his sharp eyes made her feel as if he could read her mind in one glance. But despite his dark hair, he wearing Prince of Asteria's uniform and on his collar there's a same badge as Ilex. 

His voice interrupted her thoughts.
"May I know your reason why you broke into the hunting ground? and even dared to fight one on one with a Fiend Bear?" he said as he shifted his gaze at her.

They locked gazes with each other, his sharp eyes made her feel intimidated. Suddenly, her heart pound faster and her face began to turn red. But she keep maintained her composure.
"The hunting ground? You mean that iron fence isn't headed for the city?"

He frowned at her words.
"There is a sign in front of the fence that indicates this is a hunting ground."

She lowered her head, feeling guilty.
"I really didn't see it..."

He sighed.
"We have to get out of here before that monster back. We can talk about this later."

She simply nodded.

*

*

*

Angel climbed out from his hiding place and extended his hand and pulled the girl out.

"Thank you for helping-"

Before she could finish her sentence, he saw a large black shadow from the trees leaping towards them.

"Watch out!"
He pulled her to avoid and pull out his sword. In front of them the monster that they thought was gone, roared loudly, indicating it had returned to find its prey.
"This monster is quite clever, it makes us think it's gone to lure us out."

"W-what should we do now?" she said in a trembling voice.

Angel could feel her hand starting to grip his back in fear. He glanced at a tree that looked quite big and strong behind the monster.
"You are a poison master, right? I will lure it towards that tree. After I give the signal, attack the back of its neck with your strongest poison. That's its weak point."

She nodded.
"Alright."

He quickly moved forward, as he approaching, the monster greeted him with its claws. He dogde down, rolled behind it to escape, turned around and hit the monster's back with his sword to provoke it. The monster turned around furiously and attacked again with its claws. He continued to retreat while avoiding and parrying that monster's attacks until his back hit the tree.

The monster grinned showing its terrifying teeth and swinging its claws with all its might. He dodge down and rolled to the side to avoid. The monster tried to attack again but its claw caught in tree trunk.

"Attack now!" he shouted.

She slashed her whip right behind the monster's neck accompanied by its groan of pain. But a second later it turned its gaze to her.

Angel noticed it.
"Get away from there!" he shouted as he ran towards her.

The monster suddenly shot its spikes. He pushed her until they both fell. He could feel one of that monster's spikes penetrating his left back.

"How's that possible? I have attacked it with my strongest poison!" she said in panic.

"Defeating it isn't that easy, " he said as he struggled to his feet, intense pain began to spread throughout his back.

The monster managed to release its claws and leap towards them with its both claws. He pushed her again to avoid and hold both its claws with his sword. Its claw stopped only inches in front of his face.

The poison in the spike began to work, he felt his strength begin to disappear, so did his consciousness.

"Strike its neck one more time!" he shouted.

She slashed her whip once again. The monster groaned in pain and began to lose its balance. Angel pushed it and backed away. Finally the monster fell.

He was breathing heavily, his consciousness began to disappear making him almost fall. She quickly propped him and leaned him against the tree to examine his wound.

"The poison has started to spread, you must be treated immediately, " she said worriedly. She extended her hand to pull out the spike that still stuck on his back.

Angel hold his groaned as the spike was pulled from his back, the pain from the wound began to burn his back. He tried to bear the pain and get up.
"We must get out of here before it's awake."

"You mean that monster isn't dead yet?" she said in disbelief tone.

"I told you it's not that easy to defeat it."

"Then we should kill it now. " she said as she moved towards the monster.

He held back her hand and shook his head.
"That monster is the main hunt for tomorrow's hunting competition. We can't kill it now."

She looked surprised and turned her gaze to him.
"That monster is tomorrow's main hunt? You must be crazy!"

Another loud howl came.

"There's no time! We must get out now, " he said as he pulled her away.

49