52. The Protagonist Washes Her Hair Once A Week
478 7 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lady Marionette hadn't been lying when she'd said, so confidently, that "she's the only hairdresser in town! If she says it's a new trend, it's a new trend!" because wow, three more people now sported the same shaggy mismatched hairstyle I had.

"That's kind of... admirable," I said, dumbfounded. I reached up and touched my own hair as I watched another girl with the same hairstyle cross the street outside the window. "Very admirable1the real OP." People were paying to get this weird hairstyle? Paying?!2the true OP

"Filian, a refill here!"

"Coming!" Snapping back to the bar scene in front of me, I flashed a smile at the auntie and poured her some beer.

"Filian, serving any sandwiches today?"

"Think so, I saw Paul handing some out--"

"Filian, I need a napkin!"

"They're right in front of you!"

"Girl--"

"Coming right up, uncle!" I slammed another spoon into a cup and slid it right in front of uncle's nose. He looked as disgruntled as always, but I wagged my finger at him regardless. "And uncle, I told you to call me Filian, didn't I?"

He only grunted in response.

The door swung open and I raised my head up automatically. "Welcome-- oh, it's you."

Lindent raised his eyebrows at him, trying to look offended, but ever since he'd so deftly avoided my kick to his knee3see chapter 49!, I'd stopped trying to act nice in front of him. Not that I put in much effort in trying to seem nice before. Besides, it was like I could detect a permanently mischievous look in his eyes now that I learned how to read him a little better.

"Nope, no nonalcoholic drinks here, sorry. Please try again tomorrow," I said before he could say anything, turning up my nose. He sat down in a bar stool anyway, and I scoffed at him.

I leered at him defiantly, and he stared right back, not batting an eye. In absolute monotone, he said, "One nonalcoholic cocktail."

"Ugh." I rolled my eyes and got him his cocktail. "Not even pretending to have heard me now, huh?"

Lindent only smiled. The nerve of this guy--

"Filian, oh Filian~!" singsonged a voice that always managed to send chills down my spine no matter when and where I heard it.

I flinched and tamped down the urge to run. No, Fi, I told myself, she's not here to cut your hair again. It's okay.

Lady Marionette stood in front of me with a smug smile on her face. She flipped her fluffed-up hair backwards, giving me a knowing look.

I forced myself to smile back. "Yes, Lady?"

"What did I say? I said I'll make it the newest trend in Minstia, didn't I?" She leaned forward, her fancy blue coat hanging off her shoulders swaying as she did so. "After all, I'm the--"

"I know, Lady," I interrupted. I reached up to run my fingers through my hair again, watching the reddish-brown curls drop at varying lengths. "You're the only hairdresser in town. If you say it's a trend, it's a trend. I got it. Yeah. Thanks."

"Haha!" she yelled in my face, then headed back out. The twins ducked in to nod a greeting to me as well, then followed her out.

I stared after her, then turned my head back to Lindent, who looked just as lost as I felt. "Wow, she just literally dropped in to rub her skills in my face, didn't she."

He kind of nodded.

"Yeah, she totally did." I touched my hair again, almost absentmindedly, watching the doors swing shut.

Well, that was that. Other customers were draining their drinks, so back to work!

As I turned around to fish out another apple from behind the counter, I felt another hand pull at my hair and immediately yanked myself backwards.  "What the--"

My eyes found Lindent's widened ones, where he was now half-standing and leaning against the bar counter, his hand up in the air where he'd touched my hair.

I raised my hand up to where I'd felt him touch my hair. Well. That wasn't weird at all.

"...okay. What was that?" I said, once I got over the initial speechlessness. 

He furrowed his eyebrows and moved his gaze to his hand this time, holding it away from his face.

I frowned right back at him, huffing. "You don't need to look so disgusted. My hair's not that dirty, you know!"

Lindent looked back up towards me, a quiet question in his eyes.

"Yeah! I washed it, like, four days ago." Maybe five. But hey, that was still pretty recent, and my hair didn't even smell. I nodded to myself, confident.

It was probably only my imagination that Lindent looked faintly disturbed at my words.

"Anyway, don't do that! That surprised me so much!"

He nodded, very seriously, and not-so-subtly wiped his hand on his pants. I rolled my eyes at him and went back to serving the customers.

At that very moment, Auntie Dela swung into the restaurant. I brightened immediately, flashing her a warm smile. "Hey Auntie Dela! Come on over."

"Ohoho, Filian," she trilled, sliding right into an open spot at the counter. From the way her eyes were downright glittering, I could tell she had some nice gossip to share. "I've got some news for you!"

Haha, yup. Nice to know I knew here well enough. I chuckled. "Want some apple beer to go with that?"

She shook her finger at me. "This calls for something stronger."

I snapped my finger. "Whiskey?"

"Perfect."

She then proceeded to tell me all about their next door neighbor and performed a very detailed rendition of an argument she'd overheard that seemed to include a love pentagon and carrier pigeons, in which two brothers were in love with the daughter of Auntie Dela's neighbor who was engaged to a fellow in the next town over whom she never saw in her entire life but whose sister was determinedly in love with one of the aforementioned brothers and, well, carrier pigeons. I ooh'ed and aah'ed for her with all my strength.

"And they were roommates!"

"They were roommates?" I gasped. "Which ones?!"

Cook came up to me before she could reply. "Closing time," he barked.

I squinted at the clock. "That was fast. Welp, Auntie, looks like it's time for you to go."

Auntie Dela heaved herself up, stretching her shoulders. "Ahh, that was some good whiskey. Mr. Rowlandson will be by to pay for it."

Ah, so they got into another fight then. That was probably the real reason she had come by. I winked. "Of course!" I said, a sly smile creeping up my face. I leaned towards her and said, in a half-whisper, "That's why you got the whiskey, huh?"

She harrumphed and turned away, but I thought I could detect her already reddened face become redder. I chuckled. "I won't tell Mr. Rowlandson, no worries. Now off you go, Auntie! Tell me all about this next time, okay?"

Auntie Dela patted my cheek. "Good girl. Be safe!"

"Yes, ma'am!"

Once she went out, I exhaled slowly and looked around the restaurant. Paul was already cleaning up the tables, and most of the customers at the counter were all gone. My eyes landed at where Lindent had been sitting. He'd stayed at the restaurant for far longer than I'd expected, since he usually left after one cocktail. He had remained for quite some time with the empty glass in his hands, looking deep in thought. Auntie Dela hadn't really let me get around, so I didn't have the opportunity to talk to him after she'd come.

Something seemed to be troubling him, though I had no idea what. Even when he was leaving, his eyes had kept wandering off, as if he couldn't focus on just one thing. If only I'd had the time to ask him...

"Clean up!" I heard Cook yell from inside the kitchen. I snapped back to reality and grabbed a broom.Yup, no time to waste in real life! Just get things over and done with. I could always ask him the next time. 

Something crinkled under my broom as I swept the floor, and I ducked down to see it. A small, plain pouch was lodged between the counter and the floor, right beneath the stool Lindent had been sitting on.

"Huh," I said aloud, picking it up. It was surprising light and crinkled to the touch, feeling as if several folded pieces of paper were inside. I shrugged and put it into my apron pocket. "I can give it to him later."

"Did you say something?" Paul asked from a distance away.

Cue sunny smile of innocence. "Nope, just talking to myself."

He nodded, not looking weirded out for once. I turned back to sweeping and breathed a quiet sigh of relief. Maybe Paul would stop looking at me with those scared bunny eyes from now on! And stop edging away whenever he was stuck at the counter next to me! And stop trying to get Idel from interacting with me! Yeah, that would be nice.

I sighed again, this time a bit heavier.

That would be real nice... if it could ever happen.


A/N: Is Paul a lost cause..? 

Also kinda late this week but ehehehe I've got stuff coming so hold tight, y'all!

22